Is my Potatoe Pc fast enough to render 100 s of Warclaws?

Arcanaut.4158

> @"Dahkeus.8243" said:

> Shouldn't make much difference. You'll just get the generic mount model with no fancy effects if your computer is struggling, just like in the rest of GW2.

Oh i dunno!

Imagine a whole zerg (you know the lag you feel when you just know there is a zerg near). Well imagine all those players mounted and moving twice as fast.

> @"Colly.4073" said:

> > @"Dahkeus.8243" said:

> > Shouldn't make much difference. You'll just get the generic mount model with no fancy effects if your computer is struggling, just like in the rest of GW2.

>

> Oh i dunno!

>

> Imagine a whole zerg (you know the lag you feel when you just know there is a zerg near). Well imagine all those players mounted and moving twice as fast.

and then they all dismount/attack at once *smh*

> @"Colly.4073" said:

> > @"Dahkeus.8243" said:

> > Shouldn't make much difference. You'll just get the generic mount model with no fancy effects if your computer is struggling, just like in the rest of GW2.

>

> Oh i dunno!

>

> Imagine a whole zerg (you know the lag you feel when you just know there is a zerg near). Well imagine all those players mounted and moving twice as fast.

Game mode has always been a lag fest. No different with mounts. Community seems to think there's some magic fix for a problem that's related to the core servers along with players on lower-end CPUs.

OK guys let's move out!

50 players jump on mounts.

Game client crashes.

Disconnected from server.

40th in queue.

Oh wait my queue popped, guess everyone else on the map tried to use their new mount, lol.

OK guys get on your mounts, ONE AT A TIME!

OK guys the enemy zerg is just ahead!

Render enemy players and mounts

Game client crashes.

OK guys we're back on the map, we've all mounted up, the enemy is ahead of us again, Anet released an update to "fix a server crash" let's hope it's this mount bug, Let's do this!

All players attack and get dismounted

Game client crashes.

> @"Gambino.2109" said:

> Hilarious.. this has not been an issue in Pve with more than 50 people...

How about 3-4 times that many? With calculations server side for 5 teams at once. (NPCs and ambience are different ‘teams’)

With siege skills raining down?

I hope you are correct, but I wonder if you have been on a three way SMC fight in 4 years.

> @"misterman.1530" said:

> Sigh. I started my own post about this but will insert this here: they byline implies you have to have a catmander tag to get the mount. That will slow its adoption, if not halt it immediately. A catmander tag is, what, 300G? If, of course, we take the byline literally.

catcomm tag is 300g if you do not own any comm tags - if you already own default comm tag, the catcomm tag costs 150g.

Whenever a map starts to fill up in PvE you start getting an effect when people mount up that they appear to get sucked into the ground. Sometimes this results in people getting glitched under the map. The ground effect happens a lot, the glitching less so.

If this happens in WvW it is going to seriously screw up WvW.

Lets face it mounts are not practical in WvW, not wanted by the vast majority of regular players and are liable to add a whole slew of new problems that will make WvW less fun and less playable.

Seriously who at Anet thought this was a good idea?

Why spend resources on damaging a game mode?

> @"DemonSeed.3528" said:

> > @"misterman.1530" said:

> > Sigh. I started my own post about this but will insert this here: they byline implies you have to have a catmander tag to get the mount. That will slow its adoption, if not halt it immediately. A catmander tag is, what, 300G? If, of course, we take the byline literally.

>

> catcomm tag is 300g if you do not own any comm tags - if you already own default comm tag, the catcomm tag costs 150g.

Right. But not everyone has one. I really doubt Anet would be stupid enough to allow everyone a mount in WvW...though at this point, nothing is surprising.

Anet servers can't even handle zergs with minis but ya lets go mounts.... you already get skill lag in zerg fights with super high internet speed on a top pc<--(its not YOUR PC its their servers)... sooooo disappointed! Thanks for not caring about the WvW player base Anet! You know they cancelled the announcement last week because of the mount backlash in forums, lied about snow affecting the announcement while playing the game, pretty pathetic! Only updates they do are geared towards making them money. Smh... go ahead erase the comment anet.

> @"Dahkeus.8243" said:

> > @"Colly.4073" said:

> > > @"Dahkeus.8243" said:

> > > Shouldn't make much difference. You'll just get the generic mount model with no fancy effects if your computer is struggling, just like in the rest of GW2.

> >

> > Oh i dunno!

> >

> > Imagine a whole zerg (you know the lag you feel when you just know there is a zerg near). Well imagine all those players mounted and moving twice as fast.

>

> No different with mounts.

Let me tell you, There WILL be a noticeable difference.

considering it's a mount with WvW in mind, it's sort of obvious they have to think of performance.

On the upside, the basic player model is supposed to handle this sort of situation, so a WvW mount would be handled the same way. It's why I really hope ANet does not release any mounts skins for it, that would for sure cause client lag issues.

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> considering it's a mount with WvW in mind, it's sort of obvious they have to think of performance.

>

> On the upside, the basic player model is supposed to handle this sort of situation, so a WvW mount would be handled the same way. It's why I really hope ANet does not release any mounts skins for it, that would for sure cause client lag issues.

Yea, a WvW-specific mount was likely done exactly because they can control how it affects WvW. If the speed of mounts is too high and it's causing render issues, they can reduce the speed to whatever they want without affecting the rest of the game.

As for mount skins and client lag, that's easily controlled by settings, which is why you see generic mount skins when you're lagging around other people with mounts in the rest of the game, even if they have super-sparkly skins applied.

But these are all reasonable conjecture that gives the benefit of the doubt to unknown. Meanwhile, there seems to be a looot of Chicken Little around here preparing for falling skies:

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> best way to kill wvw right here

> @"Gambino.2109" said:

> Hilarious.. this has not been an issue in Pve with more than 50 people...

WvW is different though..In a Pve blob i dont have any ping lag at all,although my fps is quite shitty at that point.But in wvw its different,im sure you seen the lag it can create when 2 or 3 blobs clash in SM ? Now imagine atleast half of them all on mounts aswell,will create more server stress i reckon and i bet also a drop in fps.

Most client computers suffering lag don't have a rendering problem, they have network contention problem.

None of us know how mounts impact network packets. It is entirely possible a player being on a mount creates very little if any extra packets as they may have added onto an existing structure that had plenty of filler. In more simple terms, what they send to the client may already have enough space to handle mount without creating any new congestion.

What we also don't know is how mount abilities and speed impacts server side calculations. These extra mount skills and speed may be treated like an extension of player abilities (likely) and are no different than adding on an extra set of player skills which means no additional computation beyond what they are already doing.

In a nutshell, predicting more lag may be true it may not be true. None of us know until we try it.