GW3 happening? Job title description. Next-generation of games.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

>

> You directly related GW1 and GW2 by asking how things would have been if Arenanet had kept working on GW1. I pointed out that the move from GW1 to GW2 was way different than moving from GW2 (an MMO) to GW3 (which people assume should or would be an MMO). I then corrected the assumption that: if GW3 was not an MMO, it would be a lot more likely to see release.

>

Few things since it seems we are having a misunderstanding. I was talking that simply presenting an updated version of GW1 would never give this franchise a success and new life that launch of new game did. Genre has little to do with that. If anything it showed that more ambitious and taxative project made the franchise one of the bigger players in the genre and definitely invigorated the IP. Announcing new, more modern vision for the franchise brought it back on the map. Success that Guild Wars franchise has at the moment would never be possible if they simply kept updating GW1.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

>

> If you can't see the unique challenges present in MMOs, long time player retention, constant content development, initial break through into the market, etc., then I'm not sure how qualified your opinion is. Releaseing a MMO is vastly different than any other type of game. This is obviously true for each game type, but hurdles on MMOs are especially high due to some of the unique qualifiers I mentioned.

>

I have never questioned this nor have I ever said anything that would lead people to believe I think developing and publishing MMOs is easy, cheap or simple. This is for me personally the main reason why I think that GW3 is not in development.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> and here you are again bringing up GW1, which was NOT an MMO. Yes, people would try it out, I'm sure of it. That's only half the equation though. People tried out a ton of MMOs over the past few years, few stayed with those MMOs. Even within your scope of comparison of GW1 to GW2, you are ignoring the players who strictly remained with GW1 even to this day.

>

Comparing Gw1 to Gw2 is perfectly valid where their differences are not important to the topic at hand. You cant just go around and discard any and all comparison simply because they are not the same genre when it comes to issues where this difference doesn't matter. Transition shows that its possible for a franchise to transition from genre A to genre B. It shows that its possible to create a more ambitious project and succeed. But the genre itself is completely irrelevant variable here. Actually, if anything the fact that Gw2 is so much more than Gw1 was goes much more in favour of pro Gw3 argument than against it.

> @"Sirius.4510" said:

> The reason why they don't overhaul the engine would be because doing so in a way that would make a meaningful difference would be obscenely expensive - not dissimilar from developing a new game. At least you have the content all in place, but it'd still take forever.

let's refrase the question:

why wouldn't they update the engine instead of making an entirely new game

> @"chaosdurza.3291" said:

> Whale here. Can confirm that if they make a Guild Wars 3, I will leave and find a different franchise/company. I did not sink thousands and thousands of dollars into this game just to see it gutted halfway through its lifespan. And many of my friends, who have also put in similar amounts of money, feel the same way.

I am as well, though not one of your friends mentioned, I'm definitely going to find a new game as well.

> @"kasoki.5180" said:

> Comparing Gw1 to Gw2 is perfectly valid where their **differences are not important to the topic at hand**. You cant just go around and discard any and all comparison simply because they are not the same genre when it comes to issues where this difference doesn't matter. Transition shows that its possible for a franchise to transition from genre A to genre B. It shows that its possible to create a more ambitious project and succeed. **But the genre itself is completely irrelevant variable here**. Actually, if anything the fact that Gw2 is so much more than Gw1 was goes much more in favour of pro Gw3 argument than against it.

That's where we fundamentally disagree. The differences between GW1 and GW2 are of prime consequence why a sequel might have been successful (paired with what I said about MMOs not having sequels in general and even less successful sequels). You are contradicting yourself. You can't go around and state that changing genre can be successful, but at the same time argue that this is not of consequence. Producing a same genre product where you compete with yourself is of prime consequence.

GW2 is nothing like GW1. Hence my argument is that a GW3 would be nothing like GW2.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> let's refrase the question:

>

> why wouldn't they update the engine instead of making an entirely new game

Because updating the engine has little guaranteed return on investment. It probably won't generate significantly improved sales. It might make content easier to develop, but likely not enough to actually save money within the expected lifespan of the product.

> @"Sirius.4510" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > let's refrase the question:

> >

> > why wouldn't they update the engine instead of making an entirely new game

>

> Because updating the engine has little guaranteed return on investment. It probably won't generate significantly improved sales. It might make content easier to develop, but likely not enough to actually save money within the expected lifespan of the product.

a sequel wouldn't do much better in that regard. (if the marketing was comparable) mostly because nobody in their right mind would have faith in anet as a dev

> @"Traveller.7496" said:

> It probably means mobile games.

>

> Imagine the end of GW2 with Kralkatorrik winning and destroying the world. Launch GW3 with a post-apocalyptic Tyria after another time skip.

>

> And naturally, all gemstore purchases and skins will be void.

6 months later: NCsoft is dissolving arenanet after the failure of guild wars mobile.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Traveller.7496" said:

> > It probably means mobile games.

> >

> > Imagine the end of GW2 with Kralkatorrik winning and destroying the world. Launch GW3 with a post-apocalyptic Tyria after another time skip.

> >

> > And naturally, all gemstore purchases and skins will be void.

>

> 6 months later: NCsoft is dissolving arenanet after the failure of guild wars mobile.

Best post.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > No, there is no GW3. Why can't people understand this ?

> >

> > They might replace GW2's engine with a new one, but other than that, the game was designed to last and to be extensible through many expansions and seasons of living world as the devs had said before, they're in it for the long haul.

> >

> > Their future investments will likely be in other games, new franchises besides Guild Wars.

>

> It would be just too much work to rebuilt gw2. A sequel or a new instalment just makes more sense.

And creating a new game would be less work? Really? We're talking about 5-6 years (at least) of very costly development in order to roll the dice and see whether it will pay off (and the late MMO market suggests it won't). At the same time they'd be killing their current revenue stream, because they simply have no money to develop both games at the same time. Not to mention, the new game would almost certainly be in direct competition with GW2 and cause GW2 to lose players... regardless of the success of GW3. So, you are quite likely to end up in a situation where you sunk a ton of money into GW3, killed GW2, and yet your new game bombed and didn't even return you your investment. It's really risky.

Not that we have to worry about it now. From the yesterday's leaks and announcements, it seems they will be cancelling all those other unannounced projects anyway. So, even if GW3 was in the works (which i find unlikely), it isn't anymore.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Traveller.7496" said:

> > It probably means mobile games.

> >

> > Imagine the end of GW2 with Kralkatorrik winning and destroying the world. Launch GW3 with a post-apocalyptic Tyria after another time skip.

> >

> > And naturally, all gemstore purchases and skins will be void.

>

> 6 months later: NCsoft is dissolving arenanet after the failure of guild wars mobile.

That isn't even funny.

> @"RubberDougie.2750" said:

> https://boards.greenhouse.io/arenanet/jobs/591911

>

> "We are building the core infrastructures for our next generation of games."

Sounds like building backend structure for a new game or even engine. Could be anything.

But looking at it overall it's imo more likely that this is backend services for mobile MMOs

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Traveller.7496" said:

> > > It probably means mobile games.

> > >

> > > Imagine the end of GW2 with Kralkatorrik winning and destroying the world. Launch GW3 with a post-apocalyptic Tyria after another time skip.

> > >

> > > And naturally, all gemstore purchases and skins will be void.

> >

> > 6 months later: NCsoft is dissolving arenanet after the failure of guild wars mobile.

>

> That isn't even funny.

But it's happening yet :anguished:

> @"Nemo.8759" said:

> > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Traveller.7496" said:

> > > > It probably means mobile games.

> > > >

> > > > Imagine the end of GW2 with Kralkatorrik winning and destroying the world. Launch GW3 with a post-apocalyptic Tyria after another time skip.

> > > >

> > > > And naturally, all gemstore purchases and skins will be void.

> > >

> > > 6 months later: NCsoft is dissolving arenanet after the failure of guild wars mobile.

> >

> > That isn't even funny.

>

> But it's happening yet :anguished:

No it's not. The layoffs were due to non gw2 projects anet was working on. gw2 is doing fine

"next generation games" is one of the usual industry buzzwords, you will find them in many job ads. There is no indication for a GW3. And I doubt there ever will be. Traditional MMORPG are in their sunset years and cost a lot to maintain with some success. Anet's next games, if any, will be catering to whatever game type is hot on the market then. Probably will also make a major shift towards mobile gaming like others in the industry because that is apparently where the money is. Whether it will be Anet then or the dissolved remnants under a new NCSoft mantle, who knows.