Will WvW be hit by layoffs?

tom.4051

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to All the ANet employees. If the worst happens...I've been down this road before & had to look for new cheese...I hope you'll find the courage to keep moving forward despite the challenges that you'll be faced with.

Yours truly,

Diku

Who Moved My Cheese?

> @"Safandula.8723" said:

> > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > @"Safandula.8723" said:

> > > > @"Jarvia.4327" said:

> > > > As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

> > > >

> > > > tl:dr WvW does not make money. So enjoy.

> > >

> > > 1. Wvw is just about to start making money.

> > > 2. Some ppl are kept in this game by wvw and pvp, and these ppl make money for company. So leaving it will always means the less income

> >

> > This myth needs to stop. The regular discussion forum has 5x the posts. 5x the activity.

> >

> > A business knows it can't please 100% of the people, can't get 100% market share. So they prioritize their efforts to the largest share they can get. And that's PvE.

> >

> > They are **already** doing that.

>

> Actually they are making money on fashion wars, and every game mode takes part in it

The problem is its not making all the the money in the world.

This is actually far more alarming than I think many people realize. When MMO studios are hit with layoffs... the games are often shut down. Yeah that *kind of* would affect WvW. And GW2.

NCSoft was the publisher and owner of the City Of Heroes studio, remember?

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Safandula.8723" said:

> > > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > > @"Safandula.8723" said:

> > > > > @"Jarvia.4327" said:

> > > > > As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

> > > > >

> > > > > tl:dr WvW does not make money. So enjoy.

> > > >

> > > > 1. Wvw is just about to start making money.

> > > > 2. Some ppl are kept in this game by wvw and pvp, and these ppl make money for company. So leaving it will always means the less income

> > >

> > > This myth needs to stop. The regular discussion forum has 5x the posts. 5x the activity.

> > >

> > > A business knows it can't please 100% of the people, can't get 100% market share. So they prioritize their efforts to the largest share they can get. And that's PvE.

> > >

> > > They are **already** doing that.

> >

> > Actually they are making money on fashion wars, and every game mode takes part in it

> The problem is its not making all the the money in the world.

>

> This is actually far more alarming than I think many people realize. When MMO studios are hit with layoffs... the games are often shut down. Yeah that *kind of* would affect WvW. And GW2.

>

> NCSoft was the publisher and owner of the City Of Heroes studio, remember?

Well they shut down City of Heroes to focus on Guild Wars 2 (at least that's what I heard from multiple sources) so...

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Safandula.8723" said:

> > > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > > > @"Jarvia.4327" said:

> > > > > As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

> > > > >

> > > > > tl:dr WvW does not make money. So enjoy.

> > > >

> > > > 1. Wvw is just about to start making money.

> > > > 2. Some ppl are kept in this game by wvw and pvp, and these ppl make money for company. So leaving it will always means the less income

> > >

> > > This myth needs to stop. The regular discussion forum has 5x the posts. 5x the activity.

> > >

> > > A business knows it can't please 100% of the people, can't get 100% market share. So they prioritize their efforts to the largest share they can get. And that's PvE.

> > >

> > > They are **already** doing that.

> >

> > Actually they are making money on fashion wars, and every game mode takes part in it

> The problem is its not making all the the money in the world.

>

> This is actually far more alarming than I think many people realize. When MMO studios are hit with layoffs... the games are often shut down. Yeah that *kind of* would affect WvW. And GW2.

>

> NCSoft was the publisher and owner of the City Of Heroes studio, remember?

first time iv heard about this game was on this forum some time ago. even gw1 still exsist, and some time ago they were even patching it. in the worst possible scenario for wvw, they will stop making any content. oh wait... but they wont shut it down

> @"idolin.2831" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Safandula.8723" said:

> > > > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > > > @"Safandula.8723" said:

> > > > > > @"Jarvia.4327" said:

> > > > > > As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > tl:dr WvW does not make money. So enjoy.

> > > > >

> > > > > 1. Wvw is just about to start making money.

> > > > > 2. Some ppl are kept in this game by wvw and pvp, and these ppl make money for company. So leaving it will always means the less income

> > > >

> > > > This myth needs to stop. The regular discussion forum has 5x the posts. 5x the activity.

> > > >

> > > > A business knows it can't please 100% of the people, can't get 100% market share. So they prioritize their efforts to the largest share they can get. And that's PvE.

> > > >

> > > > They are **already** doing that.

> > >

> > > Actually they are making money on fashion wars, and every game mode takes part in it

> > The problem is its not making all the the money in the world.

> >

> > This is actually far more alarming than I think many people realize. When MMO studios are hit with layoffs... the games are often shut down. Yeah that *kind of* would affect WvW. And GW2.

> >

> > NCSoft was the publisher and owner of the City Of Heroes studio, remember?

>

> Well they shut down City of Heroes to focus on Guild Wars 2 (at least that's what I heard from multiple sources) so...

And late last year they announced they had no less than 5-6 or so mobile games slated for 2019...

I find it cute that above thinks worst case scenario is just that they stop making content, as if server based games have never shut down. Unlikely in this case perhaps, but it'll happen, sooner or later. Maybe the layoffs mean GW1 servers will shut down.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"idolin.2831" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > > > > > @"Safandula.8723" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jarvia.4327" said:

> > > > > > > As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > tl:dr WvW does not make money. So enjoy.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 1. Wvw is just about to start making money.

> > > > > > 2. Some ppl are kept in this game by wvw and pvp, and these ppl make money for company. So leaving it will always means the less income

> > > > >

> > > > > This myth needs to stop. The regular discussion forum has 5x the posts. 5x the activity.

> > > > >

> > > > > A business knows it can't please 100% of the people, can't get 100% market share. So they prioritize their efforts to the largest share they can get. And that's PvE.

> > > > >

> > > > > They are **already** doing that.

> > > >

> > > > Actually they are making money on fashion wars, and every game mode takes part in it

> > > The problem is its not making all the the money in the world.

> > >

> > > This is actually far more alarming than I think many people realize. When MMO studios are hit with layoffs... the games are often shut down. Yeah that *kind of* would affect WvW. And GW2.

> > >

> > > NCSoft was the publisher and owner of the City Of Heroes studio, remember?

> >

> > Well they shut down City of Heroes to focus on Guild Wars 2 (at least that's what I heard from multiple sources) so...

> And late last year they announced they had no less than 5-6 or so mobile games slated for 2019...

>

> I find it cute that above thinks worst case scenario is just that they stop making content, as if server based games have never shut down. Unlikely in this case perhaps, but it'll happen, sooner or later. Maybe the layoffs mean GW1 servers will shut down.

To be fair i wouldnt blame nsoft for shutting down the forums at this point

Yes mounts are a breeding pens for drama for all what happened

But would you Think someone to decide over this would Read passed that topic?

I do see an argument to shut down the forums, and stop having to pay/support that, and the amount of moderators etc. That would save in some money and time/manpower. And just encourage players to use 3rd party forums, or move to reddit or something.

Another obvious guess, would be to bunker down completely on LS and pretty much ignore everything else, and thus set the rest of the game on maintenance mode. With the idea of opening those up again when/if times gets better.

This is certainly bad news for any desire for balance patches!

What a surprise. They build a large mmo that continually earned a spot within top three and decided to half ass bare minimum support it with infrequent balance changes,content etc and use money and resources elsewhere for what? To develope mobile or other games that were were a business risk at best? I get to move forward expanding is favourable but putting all its money and rescoursed to give its biggest project the best chance to grow and once it has to a point that it can continue to while expanding to other projects would have been far better plan. Who makes the plans there and what board ok’d these discussions?

This is the statement from Anet: "We can confirm that due to the cancellation of unannounced projects, ArenaNet will make staff reductions," the statement reads. "This is part of a larger organizational restructuring within NCSOFT in the west, but the Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 game services will not be affected, nor is any upcoming game content canceled."

> @"C Cspace Cowboy.5903" said:

> > @"Jarvia.4327" said:

> > As the ole saying goes,"Follow the money". A lot of gaming companies are restructuring in order to prioritize what makes them the most money. And right now, regardless of how much "real" gamers complain, it is microtransactions. So unless WvW can increase that part of the business, I would not expect too much from it. GW2 as a game will be around but it will be more focused on what makes money. While some devs might still have passion for the game, the corporate interests will make sure it is directed where they want it.

> >

> > tl:dr WvW does not make money. So enjoy.

>

> Im going to repeat myself from a reddit post because I can’t be asked typing it again. To say that wvw doesn’t make money is asinine.

>

> I played gw2 for a year and a half. In that year and a half I spent near 1000$ on gems or account upgrades. That is flat, the most I’ve ever spent on a game. 95% of my time was spent in WvW. I left with a rank of nearly 3k. I have since quit the game due to balance issues and frustration of Anet not listening to feedback on class balance. That is money lost because they wouldn’t listen to the WvW Community. There are plenty of people that I used to play with that spent money on gem store. Some dwarfing what I spent in my time, in a few months. So to suggest that a simple mount will generate money is asinine. Them losing players that were consistent gem store purchasers due to them ignoring our concerns is going to far outweigh anything they would make on mount skins.

>

> To be perfectly honest, them adding this mount before addressing the multitude of concerns that have been around for YEARS, is a slap in the face of the WvW community and shows how out of touch with the WvW community they really are.

Do not disagree at all, and actually find myself sitting here nodding at each and every point you are making. The false narrative that WvW players don't buy gems is incredibly ignorant. I believe nearly every gemstore purchase by a WvW player in the early days was a real money transaction, as there was no gold in playing WvW back then. 5 server transfers, and who knows how many $25 gem cards later I find myself purchasing fewer and fewer gems as my hope for WvW has faded.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> I do see an argument to shut down the forums, and stop having to pay/support that, and the amount of moderators etc. That would save in some money and time/manpower. And just encourage players to use 3rd party forums, or move to reddit or something.

>

> Another obvious guess, would be to bunker down completely on LS and pretty much ignore everything else, and thus set the rest of the game on maintenance mode. With the idea of opening those up again when/if times gets better.

>

> This is certainly bad news for any desire for balance patches!

They would simply bleed out in that case, and then no one would be needed for WvW or PvP at all. Really kind of ridiculous that it has come to this, but it is what it is.

WvW earn money. You don't have to do a lot of contents for it yet you can keep getting people doing same thing repeatedly, what's better money than that?

Pve on other hand, you make a lot of contents, most people do it once and that's it. Cost much to make yet get back little.

That's why you see most money making titles are pvp related titles.

This layoff doesn't appear to be a general restructuring and it is far more likely that employees working on non-monetized projects are being cut. GW2 is a monetized product so layoffs inside that department are probably minimal or exempt. What it may impact is long term development projects such as expansions if they do not believe an expansion has a high chance of paying off.

> @"Straegen.2938" said:

> This layoff doesn't appear to be a general restructuring and it is far more likely that employees working on non-monetized projects are being cut. GW2 is a monetized product so layoffs inside that department are probably minimal or exempt. What it may impact is long term development projects such as expansions if they do not believe an expansion has a high chance of paying off.

Move employees from monetized projects to non-monetized projects. Lay off employees from non-monetized projects. :thinking: