About Avatars

> @Cyrin.1035 said:

> Why can't we upload our own avatars? Even if we have to submit it for review beforehand, that would be way more fun.

Excelsior.

To be honest I would not like that. We are not talking about "tasteful" game-related avatars then (that's exactly what we are getting served now and I fully understand the reasoning behind), but mostly stupid GIFs (even though it might be restricted), random anime characters, out-of-context content (I've seen for example a Beretta pistol avatar in a kid's game's forums), and in general it'd look more like a billboard or a 60-year old mirror in a train station restroom full with stickers from the past instead of a forum. In FF14, where are BB code signatures allowed, it really is a bad experience with anime gifs, pseudo-cool quotes from other video game characters, player character stats pulled from external sites and so on. Where does it stop?

No, that's the reason why I would never ever even think about joining reddit - I lack a proper moderation and a useful forums without pre-sorting of comments into clusters and other distracting stuff.

> @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> but still not the in-game portrait?

Until they do not have particle effects I would not want my ingame character to be shown as portrait. My ears are usually clipped off and when I use my ghostly outfit, the black "smoke" particles are not there, so I am a black tennisball head with white dots as eyes.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArenaNet Staff

I see a few questions, so here are a few answers:

**Why upload?**

Because that fixes the problem. I'd say the process shouldn't matter, as long as everything is spiffy afterwards, right?

**May I upload an avatar? Could I submit a personal avatar for you to review and approve?**

Sorry, no. That way leads to madness (*huuuge* time sink) and potentially to badness (inappropriate images) as well. Been there, done that in other forums, don't wanna do that again. ;)

**Can I choose to *not* have an avatar?**

Sorry, that's not an option. Things look wonky without something in that space. Do consider that the generic pale grey dragon isn't going to pop out at anyone so if you don't choose an alternative option, the grey dragon will be placed and you'll be fine.

**How many quaggan options will we get?**

Hey, I'm not telling!

**Will you be adding more avatars in the future?**

Yep, that's the plan!

**About Custom In-Game Images as Avatars:** The technology does not exist to take snapshots of your in-game characters and port them into avatars. And given the decision that must be made by any company as far as priorities, I believe that the best use of our dev team's time is in creating game content that can be enjoyed by players. Remember, I'm "the forum person" for ArenaNet, and yet I'm saying this! Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have this spiffy new toy and that amazing new element to enhance the forum experience. But as a player, and with eyes on the main thing we do here at ArenaNet, I want -- I think we all want -- game content most of all. :3

> @"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:

> I must admit I am a bit disappointed. When I saw the notification about this topic I hoped it was about giving us the ability to use custom avatars (like almost every other forum on the web). Or at the very least let us use our own characters as avatars. Gaile has a custom avatar, so why can't we?

I imagine Gaile's custom avatar is uploaded to the forum server. It would be nice if we could submit our own avatars to whoever looks over Forum Security and then they decide if the avatar is good, and then they upload it to our account to use (so no one else could use them).

@"Gaile Gray.6029" Do you think my above idea would be possible?

> @AegisRunestone.8672 said:

> > @"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:

> > I must admit I am a bit disappointed. When I saw the notification about this topic I hoped it was about giving us the ability to use custom avatars (like almost every other forum on the web). Or at the very least let us use our own characters as avatars. Gaile has a custom avatar, so why can't we?

>

> I imagine Gaile's custom avatar is uploaded to the forum server. It would be nice if we could submit our own avatars to whoever looks over Forum Security and then they decide if the avatar is good, and then they upload it to our account to use (so no one else could use them).

>

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" Do you think my above idea would be possible?

I doubt it, as she _just_ said it would be a _huge_ time sink. Maybe....some day in the future, the distant future is my guess.

• ArenaNet Staff

I already answered the question about custom avatars, but I can expand, if you like: There are literally tens of thousands of players (probably hundreds of thousands, but I'm giving a conservative figure) who are or have been active on our forums at one time or another. There are literally millions of game account owners who conceivably could choose to become active at any time. If even only 10% of these players wanted to upload images asking for a review and approval, we'd be buried! This is simply *not* a scaleable task, and it's not something that we can offer.

As to what other forums offer: I understand some forums have different technology, just as some have different security parameters. But please, comments that refer to "every other forum on the Internet..." as having something just are not true. There is very little shared by even a dozen forums across the Internet, and virtually *nothing* that is shared by "all" of them. So while I understand what you want, I also understand what we can offer. Custom avatars or images from within the game simply aren't on the table right now. And yes, I said "the table" and "are not" in the same sentence. =)

There are services out there like Gravatar that I'm sure the forums could be integrated with.

I understand having to host millions of avatars isn't viable, especially because a lot of people would just log in once to change their avatar and the sum of them all would represent an unreasonable amount of data. And I also understand the moderation implications that would need to be in place to prevent offensive images.

But at least one of those 2 issues could be solved with Gravatar (not sure about moderation on their side). Server load could even be avoided through a front-end integration (just did a quick Google search about it, and there are a few integrations with jQuery out there, and jQuery is already used on the forums).

Anyway, the web team most likely thought of this and had good reasons not to implement it (moderation?) but I just wanted to make sure I suggested it. Just in case!

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> I already answered the question about custom avatars, but I can expand, if you like: There are literally tens of thousands of players (probably hundreds of thousands, but I'm giving a conservative figure) who are or have been active on our forums at one time or another. There are literally millions of game account owners who conceivably could choose to become active at any time. If even only 10% of these players wanted to upload images asking for a review and approval, we'd be buried! This is simply *not* a scaleable task, and it's not something that we can offer.

>

> As to what other forums offer: I understand some forums have different technology, just as some have different security parameters. But please, comments that refer to "every other forum on the Internet..." as having something just are not true. There is very little shared by even a dozen forums across the Internet, and virtually *nothing* that is shared by "all" of them. So while I understand what you want, I also understand what we can offer. Custom avatars or images from within the game simply aren't on the table right now. And yes, I said "the table" and "are not" in the same sentence. =)

>

but can't you do something the same way warcraft does it?

you choose a 'main character' and then from the login screen a square is placed around the head and a screenshot is taken, similar in the way you already do in the pre-LS personal story (in the chat boxes)

@"Gaile Gray.6029"

you are going about this the wrong way around. We are living in age of advanced AI with multum of options to automate processes such as image filtration. You don't have to dedicate much manpower for such tasks - that's the way it was done in 90s and early 2000s. Not today though. For example [this](https://cloud.google.com/blog/big-data/2016/08/filtering-inappropriate-content-with-the-cloud-vision-api "https://cloud.google.com/blog/big-data/2016/08/filtering-inappropriate-content-with-the-cloud-vision-api"). Also do make note that creating "safe and friendly" forum is good you are already kind of going over board with it to the point where the effect is reverse to the intent.

Hmm. Still none that really express "me" to me, though as I RL am a long haired female human this'll work for now. Thanks for the additions! Here's hoping a later QoL lets us use in-game target head-shot portraits as others have suggested many times now, for that will be a truly individual avatar.