A little angry for my investment

Can understand u feel upset they didn’t tried invest all in gw2 to become nr1 mmo over the years same time I understand them knowing gw2 can’t carry them forever.

Ppl should also not forget that there was the narrative support the game buy gems was running around for some years this of course painted a picture of if u buy enough the game will get better.

Anet maybe never told the player that this is the case or they did I don’t know but ppl where thinking so.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> There’s an old saying, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Heaven forbid that ANet should look to the future to the day that gw2 isn’t paying the bills or just want to have more than one income stream.

And that exactly what the did: by taking almost all of all the proverbial eggs from GW2's basket, to a point it was close to being in maintenance mode already - and putting them into mobile game's department - while severely hampering their main product in the process, as countless people left due to not getting adequate amount of new content and updates.

> @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > There’s an old saying, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Heaven forbid that ANet should look to the future to the day that gw2 isn’t paying the bills or just want to have more than one income stream.

>

> And that exactly what the did: by taking almost all of all the proverbial eggs from GW2's basket, to a point it was close to being in maintenance mode already - and putting them into mobile game's department - while severely hampering their main product in the process, as countless people left due to not getting adequate amount of new content and updates.

1) source that it was mobile gaming

2) Do you have a source for what percent of profit was put into ‘mobile gaming’

3) close to being put into maintenance mode is your opinion, unless you can back it up with hard facts,

4) countless people leaving and why is your opinion also, unless of course you want to back it up with hard facts.

The forum isn’t your personal blogpost or diary. If you’re going to make claims then you need to back them up with facts you can cite.

> 1) source that it was mobile gaming

Enough considerations for that be most likely the case were provided by somebody else above in this thread.

> 2) Do you have a source for what percent of profit was put into ‘mobile gaming’

> 3) close to being put into maintenance mode is your opinion, unless you can back it up with hard facts

According to former employees of Anet, GW2 team was reduced to bare minimum needed to maintain it afloat, and release some episodes of LW from time to time, at some point. You can trust it, or trust Anet's official statements - your choice. But I know absolutely for sure that no commercial company publishing a MMO game would acknowledge anything that would hinder their ability to milk their customers - and that's exactly the case. So any official statement has no value due to this fact, they will tell you what they have to, to keep money flowing. Again, statement of former employee seems like a better source of information here.

> 4) countless people leaving and why is your opinion also, unless of course you want to back it up with hard facts.

Yea, right - because most people just like to play the same static content for years, and not getting bored of it. That statement of course needs to be proved so I could get your official approval of my posts on this forum. That's exactly how this forum works, what was I even thinking? :D

> > 1) source that it was mobile gaming

>

> Enough considerations for that be most likely the case were provided by somebody else above in this thread.

>

> > 2) Do you have a source for what percent of profit was put into ‘mobile gaming’

> > 3) close to being put into maintenance mode is your opinion, unless you can back it up with hard facts

>

> According to former employees of Anet, GW2 team was reduced to bare minimum needed to maintain it afloat, and release some episodes of LW from time to time, at some point. You can trust it, or trust Anet's official statements - your choice. But I know absolutely for sure that no commercial company publishing a MMO game would acknowledge anything that would hinder their ability to milk their customers - and that's exactly the case. So any official statement has no value due to this fact, they will tell you what they have to, to keep money flowing. Again, statement of former employee seems like a better source of information here.

>

> > 4) countless people leaving and why is your opinion also, unless of course you want to back it up with hard facts.

>

> Yea, right - because most people just like to play the same static content for years, and not getting bored of it. That statement of course needs to be proved so I could get your official approval of my posts on this forum. That's exactly how this forum works, what was I even thinking? :D

>

>

Better, but still speculation and second hand information from former employees who could easily have an axe to grind. Which means is still suspect information and not reliable to state as an outright fact.

> > 1) source that it was mobile gaming

>

> Enough considerations for that be most likely the case were provided by somebody else above in this thread.

>

> > 2) Do you have a source for what percent of profit was put into ‘mobile gaming’

> > 3) close to being put into maintenance mode is your opinion, unless you can back it up with hard facts

>

> According to former employees of Anet, GW2 team was reduced to bare minimum needed to maintain it afloat, and release some episodes of LW from time to time, at some point. You can trust it, or trust Anet's official statements - your choice. But I know absolutely for sure that no commercial company publishing a MMO game would acknowledge anything that would hinder their ability to milk their customers - and that's exactly the case. So any official statement has no value due to this fact, they will tell you what they have to, to keep money flowing. Again, statement of former employee seems like a better source of information here.

>

> > 4) countless people leaving and why is your opinion also, unless of course you want to back it up with hard facts.

>

> Yea, right - because most people just like to play the same static content for years, and not getting bored of it. That statement of course needs to be proved so I could get your official approval of my posts on this forum. That's exactly how this forum works, what was I even thinking? :D

>

>

Considering _that_ former employee's history with ArenaNet, I would be careful how much weight I'd place in that former employee's statements. And, I think there's a bit of hyperbole, as well.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > 1) source that it was mobile gaming

> >

> > Enough considerations for that be most likely the case were provided by somebody else above in this thread.

> >

> > > 2) Do you have a source for what percent of profit was put into ‘mobile gaming’

> > > 3) close to being put into maintenance mode is your opinion, unless you can back it up with hard facts

> >

> > According to former employees of Anet, GW2 team was reduced to bare minimum needed to maintain it afloat, and release some episodes of LW from time to time, at some point. You can trust it, or trust Anet's official statements - your choice. But I know absolutely for sure that no commercial company publishing a MMO game would acknowledge anything that would hinder their ability to milk their customers - and that's exactly the case. So any official statement has no value due to this fact, they will tell you what they have to, to keep money flowing. Again, statement of former employee seems like a better source of information here.

> >

> > > 4) countless people leaving and why is your opinion also, unless of course you want to back it up with hard facts.

> >

> > Yea, right - because most people just like to play the same static content for years, and not getting bored of it. That statement of course needs to be proved so I could get your official approval of my posts on this forum. That's exactly how this forum works, what was I even thinking? :D

> >

> >

>

> Considering _that_ former employee's history with ArenaNet, I would be careful how much weight I'd place in that former employee's statements. And, I think there's a bit of hyperbole, as well.

Oh, it’s _that_ former employee? Yeah, I would definitely take any statements from that former employee about gw2 with a very large grain of salt.

I think the OP is misinformed. When you pay a subscription to a subscription game, do you think that money just sits there and stays in the game? Because that's NOT how business works. I ran a computer store for a long long time and people spent money in my store all the time. That money went to the owner of the store. Everyone who worked there got a salary, bills were paid and the rest was profit. Some of that profit went back into the store, sometimes. But during my time there the owner of the store also opened 2 different businesses, both of which lost money. It's natural for companies to expand. It's normal even. No one was going to take your money and say we're only going to spend it on this one product, because that's not how it works. This isn't a go fund me. It's not a not for profit organization. It's a business. And for businesses to thrive, quite often, they have to expand and/or diversify.

I mean spending money on esports was spending money on the game and that ultimately went no where too. Some of the ads this company produced didn't do much for the game. How is that any better or worse than creating a new product and making money from that, which could then go back into the game?

> @"Daniel.5428" said:

> > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > So you paid what you considered the game to be worth, and enjoyed the game. You have no cause for complaint.

>

> Is not a complaint. I don't want my money back. I just want them to take a stand and assure us that they plan to develop the game from now on. Like someone said above, a roadmap for 1-2 years would be enough.

They already did say they will continue development for season 5. Which, even if it would start tomorrow, would be your roadmap for the next year or so. And they did name a few other projects that are in development.

They will never release more confidential information than that.

If you want more, then youre out of luck, or patience.

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> Can understand u feel upset they didn’t tried invest all in gw2 to become nr1 mmo over the years same time I understand them knowing gw2 can’t carry them forever.

>

>

> Ppl should also not forget that there was the narrative support the game buy gems was running around for some years this of course painted a picture of if u buy enough the game will get better.

>

> Anet maybe never told the player that this is the case or they did I don’t know but ppl where thinking so.

>

>

>

>

Of course ANET need players to buy gems and spend in game.. that is what pays wages and overheads.. without which there is no game to develop.

However, many things can be purchased using in game currency so your not forced to buy anything other than core+ expacs every few years

When a company earns money, they

1) pay their overheads

2) pay taxes (well, wherever this is in the sequence)

3) allocate funds for continued development

4) allocate funds for other investments

5) pay dividends

When a consumer buys an expansion, he pays for finished product that he consumes.

When a consumer buys acc upgrades and cosmetics, he is paying with the assumption that the company WILL keep the game alive for him to enjoy his 'investments' in future enjoyment. If the game were to end in 1 month, an endless extractor, endless shared slot upgrade, salvage, char slot, outfit etc, has the value of the lifespan of 1 month.

And what a consumer would consider fair value for a cosmetic/etc naturally factors in the expected lifespan of a game. And when consumers purchase, some do so with the understanding that they are paying real money for digital bits of no intrinsic value to keep their game running.

So IF a company starts skimping on game support/development to work on a side project, thus suggests a company policy that the game's end is near enough to not merit further serious development.

A consumer has no way of verifying the truth via normal means, as to whether there was skimping on game development, whether the end has already been projected for within 1-2 years, what the company's true intentions are regarding the game.

Some consumers will consider 10usd a fair price for a digital costume; some consider it fair only with the understanding that they are sustaining the game's viability.

I am in the 2nd grp.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with apportioning proceeds to develop new products. The only problem is if this is at the intentionally concealed cost to the core product.

And as consumers, we do not have any right to dictate policy to the company; We do have a right to adjust our expenditure in response to their policy; the company adjusts policy in response to consumer needs.

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > 1) source that it was mobile gaming

> > >

> > > Enough considerations for that be most likely the case were provided by somebody else above in this thread.

> > >

> > > > 2) Do you have a source for what percent of profit was put into ‘mobile gaming’

> > > > 3) close to being put into maintenance mode is your opinion, unless you can back it up with hard facts

> > >

> > > According to former employees of Anet, GW2 team was reduced to bare minimum needed to maintain it afloat, and release some episodes of LW from time to time, at some point. You can trust it, or trust Anet's official statements - your choice. But I know absolutely for sure that no commercial company publishing a MMO game would acknowledge anything that would hinder their ability to milk their customers - and that's exactly the case. So any official statement has no value due to this fact, they will tell you what they have to, to keep money flowing. Again, statement of former employee seems like a better source of information here.

> > >

> > > > 4) countless people leaving and why is your opinion also, unless of course you want to back it up with hard facts.

> > >

> > > Yea, right - because most people just like to play the same static content for years, and not getting bored of it. That statement of course needs to be proved so I could get your official approval of my posts on this forum. That's exactly how this forum works, what was I even thinking? :D

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Considering _that_ former employee's history with ArenaNet, I would be careful how much weight I'd place in that former employee's statements. And, I think there's a bit of hyperbole, as well.

>

> Oh, it’s _that_ former employee? Yeah, I would definitely take any statements from that former employee about gw2 with a very large grain of salt.

>

there was another info from another former employee which pretty much confirmes what _that_ former employee told. check reddit for this, i do not want to get banned again.

You dont dictate where a supplier spends the money you give them, you just get the product.

However to be fair to the OP i think he is essentially annoyed that the team seem to have blown a lot of money/resources on failed projects...that could have been used on GW2.

> @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > 1) source that it was mobile gaming

> > > >

> > > > Enough considerations for that be most likely the case were provided by somebody else above in this thread.

> > > >

> > > > > 2) Do you have a source for what percent of profit was put into ‘mobile gaming’

> > > > > 3) close to being put into maintenance mode is your opinion, unless you can back it up with hard facts

> > > >

> > > > According to former employees of Anet, GW2 team was reduced to bare minimum needed to maintain it afloat, and release some episodes of LW from time to time, at some point. You can trust it, or trust Anet's official statements - your choice. But I know absolutely for sure that no commercial company publishing a MMO game would acknowledge anything that would hinder their ability to milk their customers - and that's exactly the case. So any official statement has no value due to this fact, they will tell you what they have to, to keep money flowing. Again, statement of former employee seems like a better source of information here.

> > > >

> > > > > 4) countless people leaving and why is your opinion also, unless of course you want to back it up with hard facts.

> > > >

> > > > Yea, right - because most people just like to play the same static content for years, and not getting bored of it. That statement of course needs to be proved so I could get your official approval of my posts on this forum. That's exactly how this forum works, what was I even thinking? :D

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Considering _that_ former employee's history with ArenaNet, I would be careful how much weight I'd place in that former employee's statements. And, I think there's a bit of hyperbole, as well.

> >

> > Oh, it’s _that_ former employee? Yeah, I would definitely take any statements from that former employee about gw2 with a very large grain of salt.

> >

>

> there was another info from another former employee which pretty much confirmes what _that_ former employee told. check reddit for this, i do not want to get banned again.

To me both those pieces of information read to me like people who want more money and resources put into their own projects in the company than other company projects.

Which is understandable, but unlikely to be practical.

> @"trev.1045" said:

> You dont dictate where a supplier spends the money you give them, you just get the product.

>

> However to be fair to the OP i think he is essentially annoyed that the team seem to have blown a lot of money/resources on failed projects...that could have been used on GW2.

true, but in all fairness, the only option to never have projects fail is to not start any at all.

> @"trev.1045" said:

> You dont dictate where a supplier spends the money you give them, you just get the product.

>

> However to be fair to the OP i think he is essentially annoyed that the team seem to have blown a lot of money/resources on failed projects...that could have been used on GW2.

Well I guess all those projects that failed leading up to the creation of the combustion engine or flight I guess should be villainised the same way.

Heck I wonder how many ideas floundered and failed before GW2 came to fruition, not like ANET needed another product with GW1 bursting at the seems with revenue after all those years.. ooh wait..

Sometimes business have to speculate to accumulate or bury their heads in the sand and eventually disappear into the night.

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > @"trev.1045" said:

> > You dont dictate where a supplier spends the money you give them, you just get the product.

> >

> > However to be fair to the OP i think he is essentially annoyed that the team seem to have blown a lot of money/resources on failed projects...that could have been used on GW2.

>

> Well I guess all those projects that failed leading up to the creation of the combustion engine or flight I guess should be villainised the same way.

> Heck I wonder how many ideas floundered and failed before GW2 came to fruition, not like ANET needed another product with GW1 bursting at the seems with revenue after all those years.. ooh wait..

>

> Sometimes business have to speculate to accumulate or bury their heads in the sand and eventually disappear into the night.

Not saying i agree with the OP, as a newbie i am having a blast exploring a new world, i intended to log off at 11pm and ended up logging off at 1am :) always something new to explore right now

I was simply saying i do understand his argument.

I understand your frustration because the same happened to me in another game. What I had to learn that even though I saw buying mtx as an investment into the game, it's not. You never invested into the game, you paid for things that were overpriced and they can do whatever the frak they want with the money they made selling you the crap.

So here's the thing. The only way to reall approach this is to say that a game does need to be maintained and there are running costs. So I buy gems once a month to mimic a sub and I buy gold with that or the occasional thing like inventory space or a costume. Whatever it is. In any case, that money is what I am willing to spend on an MMO because I know they have monthly costs and so I see that as fair. So that's 15-20 bucks depending on your currency a month. Anything more than that is giving them money to do whatever with and generally it goes to two things: first because this game has no sub, part of they money you invested covers the cost of having people who don't spend anything. Then what's left goes to their corporate goals and projects. That's how it is.

Here's my take on it. If you spent a decent amount on gems over time you are paying for yourself and for other players so they can get stuff for free. And if you spent a lot you also gave them money to do with whatever they wanted as a company. That's how I see it.

So I guess you can feel good about paying the way for other players to play this game without a sub. Personally I think that sucks but some people might feel good about that.

If you have a problem with a company spending some of it's liquid cash researching and developing new products that's certainly your right.

But you should probably be mad at like everyone you buy things from.

Every soft drink company that spends time testing new flavors.

Every computer chip manufacturer that spends money testing new chips that fail before fine tuning them until they work.

Every clothing manufacturer that tries out a few different styles before mass producing one.

Every other software company that tried to make something that didnt work until they shipped something that did.

Everyone.