Why is the new WvW lobby a paid item?

I've been personally hoping for a WvW lobby for a loooong time. It made me incredibly happy to see it in the release today.

However, why does it have to be a paid item? It adds a serious barrier to entry, and I'm 100% sure some people I know will not buy it. That's a shame, because I'd love to be able to use the arena with any of them without them having to buy it separately.

The PvP community benefits from having corresponding game-mode features in their lobby, **without** having to pay for it. Can you imagine if people had to pay to access the PvP lobby?

Again, I'm super happy this was made, but it seems ridiculous to me that it's not a universally accessible area, and that people will have to individually shell out money to be able to enter.

> @"SoulSin.5682" said:

> Perhaps because *every* other lobby item is a paid item?

Except for the PvP lobby, which is the functional equivalent for the PvP game mode. Yes, that was available at launch so they can't *retroactively* make people pay for it, but it seems unfair that the PvP community can go and fight in an arena with their game mode mechanics for free while WvW players have to pay for it.

> @"Duckota.4769" said:

> The only problem I have with it that needs to be addressed is the loss of participation while in it.

my participation does not decay in it.

if it does happen to you, you may report it as a bug as i dont think it is intended.

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"Duckota.4769" said:

> > The only problem I have with it that needs to be addressed is the loss of participation while in it.

>

> my participation does not decay in it.

>

> if it does happen to you, you may report it as a bug as i dont think it is intended.

Telling my friend MUDse.7623 said he is a liar brb. Only reason I didnt buy one yet.

> @"Duckota.4769" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"Duckota.4769" said:

> > > The only problem I have with it that needs to be addressed is the loss of participation while in it.

> >

> > my participation does not decay in it.

> >

> > if it does happen to you, you may report it as a bug as i dont think it is intended.

>

> Telling my friend MUDse.7623 said he is a liar brb. Only reason I didnt buy one yet.

want me to make a video for you so you can be sure?

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"Duckota.4769" said:

> > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > @"Duckota.4769" said:

> > > > The only problem I have with it that needs to be addressed is the loss of participation while in it.

> > >

> > > my participation does not decay in it.

> > >

> > > if it does happen to you, you may report it as a bug as i dont think it is intended.

> >

> > Telling my friend MUDse.7623 said he is a liar brb. Only reason I didnt buy one yet.

>

> want me to make a video for you so you can be sure?

Its okay. I trust ya.

> @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> Is there really anything it can do that OS can't? I mean, what? Crafting so I can read the nonsense in map chat?

There's test dummies and an arena. it's basically a WvW version of the PvP lobby + lounge, but instead of only a small portion being VIP lounge and the rest open to all, the entire thing is a VIP lounge.

Honestly, with its size and the way it seems designed (I'm basing this off of videos like Dulfy's cuz I don't have it) it really seemed like initially it was meant to be like Heart of the Mists, but then it suddenly got decided to turn fully into a gemstore lounge.

> @"thetoothpick.4028" said:

> > @"SoulSin.5682" said:

> > Perhaps because *every* other lobby item is a paid item?

>

> Except for the PvP lobby, which is the functional equivalent for the PvP game mode. Yes, that was available at launch so they can't *retroactively* make people pay for it, but it seems unfair that the PvP community can go and fight in an arena with their game mode mechanics for free while WvW players have to pay for it.

WvW is a very close resemblance to PvE, so it would make sense.

> @"Edward H Angle.1407" said:

> its NCSoft's latest ploy to milk every last penny out of their players before shutting down the game next year

gotta make dat screenshots then of my chars.

and save the binary client.exe and the dat file, just in case the community crowdfunds private servers.

> @"thetoothpick.4028" said:

> > @"SoulSin.5682" said:

> > Perhaps because *every* other lobby item is a paid item?

>

> Except for the PvP lobby, which is the functional equivalent for the PvP game mode. Yes, that was available at launch so they can't *retroactively* make people pay for it, but it seems unfair that the PvP community can go and fight in an arena with their game mode mechanics for free while WvW players have to pay for it.

I thought that was what EotM was for?

> its NCSoft's latest ploy to milk every last penny out of their players before shutting down the game next year

NCSOFT doesn't decide what's in the gem shop. Even if they did, this had to be designed months ago to be implemented today, when they were hands-off from the studio. And even if that wasn't true, how is this any different than any other VIP area in terms of cost, accessibility, or features? (Aside from the WvW-related features appropriate for being located in WvW?)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Edward H Angle.1407" said:

> > its NCSoft's latest ploy to milk every last penny out of their players before shutting down the game next year

>

> NCSOFT doesn't decide what's in the gem shop. Even if they did, this had to be designed months ago to be implemented today, when they were hands-off from the studio. And even if that wasn't true, how is this any different than any other VIP area in terms of cost, accessibility, or features? (Aside from the WvW-related features appropriate for being located in WvW?)

the WvW-related features

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Edward H Angle.1407" said:

> > > its NCSoft's latest ploy to milk every last penny out of their players before shutting down the game next year

> >

> > NCSOFT doesn't decide what's in the gem shop. Even if they did, this had to be designed months ago to be implemented today, when they were hands-off from the studio. And even if that wasn't true, how is this any different than any other VIP area in terms of cost, accessibility, or features? (Aside from the WvW-related features appropriate for being located in WvW?)

>

> the WvW-related features

Yes, it's a lobby located in WvW, so of course it has WvW features.

I think the OP is refering to the point that while waiting for a sPvP game, they can duel under 'sPvP rule specs' while WvW has no such thing, want to test a build? Go to the GH where the PvE/WvW skill split isn't a thing so Necros hit like trucks and Spellbreaker's F1 damage isn't nerfed by 75%!

I do kind of agree this should've been more of a sPvP type waiting room/lobby but i also understand why it's been made a Gemstore buy item because of the other features it entails.