Best use for Crude Salvage Kit

So I'm a scrooge and as I'm farming BL Keys, I get a bunch of crude salvage kits for free, which I've so far refused to just throw them away. I just wanted to ask for the public opinion on what is the best thing to use them on, if any at all. Or do you think I should just stop being a skritt and finally start destroying them...?

There's a couple of ways to look at the math. The free 15-uses is attractive and it's hard to get a gut feeling for how much less 'stuff' you get by using the Crudes, compared to Basic|Copper-Fed or even Mystic|Silver-Fed.

You save a mere 53-copper compare to 15 uses of Basic (less if you are using Copper-Fed). You have to also find a slot for the Crude to salvage beyond the few items you get from a keytoon. And change your habits to remember to use it. So if you get one extra mithril ore, forget to take advantage of the kit for just one character, you'll be less cost-efficient and less time efficient.

So my choice is to use the Crude to salvage the few salvageable fines I get along the keyrun and discard the kit when I delete the toon. I would also endorse just sticking with any existing plan you already have for managing inventory.

tl;dr the cost savings is too low to worry about **and** it's almost certainly less economically efficient

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > I salvage common items with them. And, I keep one on every character, plus a spare in a shared slot. At 1.3 copper per use, it's cheaper for commons.

> Cheaper per use, but you only need to get a single extra ore from 15 uses Basic kits to obliterate the savings compared to 3.5c/use.

But, basic kits don't give extra ore. They give a 10% chance at "rarer" materials, which I don't think I've ever seen.

However, I did make a mistake in my earlier calculation. It's 2.13 copper per use.

Use on fine or lower that doesn't have upgrades, instead of a basic kit.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > > I salvage common items with them. And, I keep one on every character, plus a spare in a shared slot. At 1.3 copper per use, it's cheaper for commons.

> > Cheaper per use, but you only need to get a single extra ore from 15 uses Basic kits to obliterate the savings compared to 3.5c/use.

>

> But, basic kits don't give extra ore. They give a 10% chance at "rarer" materials, which I don't think I've ever seen.

>

> However, I did make a mistake in my earlier calculation. It's 2.13 copper per use.

I've only noticed 'rarer materials' dropping from fine and masterwork gear exactly 3 times in over 15K hours. It's so rare that I can remember them all: A t5 venom, a t5 blood and a t6 claw.

After using the kit on the items you earn during your keyrun I think there's like 5 or 6 uses left? And that's not using them on the 11 lootbags, I save those for higher level characters. That's worth like 15 copper if you own a copper-fed. I delete them with the toon. I am more concerned about undressing in front of the bank-customers when I bank my key-run gear!

In a year of Key Runs, you'd save at most 11 silver by using Crude Kits religiously instead of Basic. Less if you own the Copper-Fed.

In addition, you have to be 100% sure that Crude Kits are just as efficient at extracting metal, cloth, wood, and leather. I don't think the data supports that. If basic kits are just a tad more efficient, it wipes out any cost savings.

And then you have to take into account the extra time in managing the extra kit.

Now, the time element is a valid concern. I have a crude kit on each of my 31 toons, and another one in a shared slot. Managing that does take time, and it's highly questionable whether that time is paid for by the minimal cost savings.

But, I'm a cheapskate. It's my nature. So .... :)