Enough with the repeatable hearts already

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> I liked the hearts in core Tyria, because completing them offered a sense of progression. No such thing in PoF.

>

> Most of the PoF hearts are tedious busywork, and it was bad enough having to do them once. Whereas I can only think of a couple in the core game that are that tedious (such as Beetletun). Raptor feeding was fun enough, but the rest... ehh.

>

> Was this some kind of ploy to make the players hate renown hearts, so that those can be left out from the future content without any major complaints? Or did someone genuinely think that these would be fun?

There are tons of tedious hearts in Core Tyria as well. The one in Frostgorge where you are stuck in the dredge suit and do almost no damage at all takes forever to complete, and don't even mention most of the underwater ones, ugh.

Sense of progression is arguable, since once you did them you really didn't receive anything useful, save for another step towards map completion. The repeatable heart vendors at least give you something useful for completing them.

I think hearts are nice content in general, but the vendors should definitely stay open upon the first completion.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Hevoskuuri.3891 said:

> There are tons of tedious hearts in Core Tyria as well. The one in Frostgorge where you are stuck in the dredge suit and do almost no damage at all takes forever to complete, and don't even mention most of the underwater ones, ugh.

The heart in Blazeridge Steppes where you have to get by Ash Legion scouts while you're invisible is another pain in the neck. Just let me kill stuff to progress the heart faster so I can move along with my world completion tyvm.

The only thing that I don't like about them, is when I, myself don't take note of the time - in the middle of doing the heart and BOOM !!! - My little chest pops up aaaannnd RESET... which ofc also resets the progress done on the heart at the time. Every. Single. Time.

Yes you would think that since I have done this more than once, I would make a mental note of the time before pursuing

completing a repeatable heart... but nope... I don't LOL. I just sit there and go... ugh what a douche -_-

> @Sylent.3165 said:

> Truthfully I'd be bummed out if they removed them. Your truly being a give me everything with no work person.

>

> You need to understand hearts do one simple thing, keep you in the game longer. You should be happy that you can't just buy what you want when you want. It gave you an extra ten or so minutes of gameplay.

>

> You know what game used to have the most insane grind ever? Runescape. But why did so many people non stop play it and do the grind? Once you were done you felt rewarded. You felt accomplished.

>

> Stop asking devs to literally remove content from the game, if they listened to you and others one day we'd log in with new toons at level 80 with full legendary gear and nothing in the game to even to.

Thumbs down. Want something to do? Bring back gauntlet. Work on personal goals.

As a completionist I find it annoying at best. Especially since the hearts are boring and boring. I do one heart leave map, 5 days later I see 1/x hearts complete. Forgot which one.

> @Boysenberry.1869 said:

> It's made worse in that the hearts in PoF progress significantly slower than other hearts in the game. Kill 20 Forged and you've only progressed 20% of the heart. It is simply tedious.

Killing is usually the slowest. Fastest way to do hearts is either finding the minigame that is de facto recommended because it gives 15/20% per completion (a good example would be one of the hearts in Vaabi where you have to find matching partners during a party) or killing event mobs, which seem to give more.

As a general rule, to complete hearts, do not kill unless 1) it's on your way 2) it's an event.

Leave the vendor accessible after first clear.

If there's a time gated item they're selling, lock only that item and give it a fancy OnHeartDailyDone() event that unlocks it each day, but leave the rest accessible.

Can even have different vendor tabs opening up depending on the number of times you've completed the heart. If the items are good enough, then that's a good reason to go back over and over and do it.

But the idea with repeatable hearts was to give rewards, not put in restrictions.

totally agree, yesterday i saved your farm and you were eternally grateful, letting me browse your special wares!

today though you act like you don't even know me! well screw your farm the next time it gets attacked! XD

if we've earned the favour of NPCs they should utterly forget about us the next day.

How are these hearts slow? They always have something that can be done really quickly. And since all the hearts give basically the same vendor items. You can really just pick the fastest probably the one with a event chain right next to it.

PoF hearts are barely needed to complete more than once. LW3 hearts are way more needed for daily completing.

Even so, I cant see how lending a small hand to the NPCs for their services is such a bad thing.

It's not something you want to do every day, but then its not something you need every day.

I can see a loyalty system or discount system being really nice as well however. As long as its significant. Like needing to pay less trade contracts.

> @staringcenter.5013 said:

> I do not mind the idea of having repeatable hearts. I wish that I could control if they reset them by talking to the vendor and selecting an option that says I would like to help again instead of it automatically resting progress for the hearts.

Even easier, just don't lock the vendor tab of the heart after it has been completed once. That way you can buy items and also do the quest again, if you feel like doing it. I would also like to see that in old Tyria. When I play a new character, the world looks richer because there are items you can interact with everywhere. As soon as you did the heart, they vanish and never appear again in most cases.

I do like the reperable hearts, but what I dislike:

- In PoF they are terribly boring.

- In PoF they tend to be uncessarily long.

- Overall, the access to vendor is denied, even though I have done that heart before.

I liked the hearts in most of LS3, but PoF :(

I think we need to distinguish between the items you get from the heart vendor.

The one-time-only purchases should not require you to complete the heart again.

The one-per-day purchases should require the heart to be re-completed, or else they are just karma sinks. I'm talking about the LS3 map currency purchases (Blood Rubies in Bloodstone Fen, Petrified Wood in Ember Bay, etc.) and the mount treats from PoF. Those function as a guaranteed additional reward for completing the heart.

They've already improved things by making sure you don't need to complete the heart more than once for map completion; that alone is a big improvement.

I abhor daily hearts. I already did the work to unlock the vendor once, I shouldn't have to unlock them again. If the repeatable hearts are staying then we need 1 of a few solutions:

* Make them progress 2-3 times as fast after you complete it once. Some of them (PoF hearts and Lake Doric hearts) progress ridiculously slowly. Wasting all of that time to unlock a vendor you already unlocked is just not fun

* Have the vendor be permanently unlocked aside from 1 or 2 tabs that require completion of the heart. These tabs could contain the stuff like the mount treats (which are obviously designed around doing the heart to get them), and other things like that (maybe the traders keys as well). But most of the vendor stuff (namely just a general vendor to sell shit too, and the items for collections) should be unlocked permanently after completing a heart.

> @Zoltreez.6435 said:

> WHAT if it would Reset Weekly ? you would still need to do it but only once a week ?

>

> you do it once and come back to that vendor anytime in the week to get the stuff you want......

>

> and once a week reset would not kill enyone realy....

That's what i was thinking. Have the reset be at the same time as the WvW reset, no muss no fuss.

> @Ashamir.9574 said:

> It's bad game design and nothing more.

It's just game design. You happen to dislike it (and you're not alone), but that doesn't make it "bad," just not your cup of tea. There do seem to be a lot of people who like repeatable hearts.

To be clear, I'm not a fan of having to repeat hearts to obtain collection items; it's tedious.

> @Ashamir.9574 said:

> So, I took the time to do full map completion of the PoF maps on my main character. For the sake of having done everything in every map at least one, and also to have everything unlocked in case I need to come back later.

> Now, having done story and maps, I'm starting on various collections.

> Gonna go and pick up stuff, right? Nope, because if I want item A I gotta go to heart vendor XYZ to buy it. I did the heart a few days ago. Doesn't kitten matter, since the repeatable hearts reset every day, I have to redo the kitten every kitten time I need something new from the same vendor.

> I love Guild Wars 2. I love the original heart system. This repeatable thing however is pure cancer.

> If people want to go and redo a heart, fine, let them, but don't make it mandatory every time you have go back to the heart vendor. This feels like nobody could be bothered to think of things to keep you in the maps, so the answer was letting people do the same kitten hearts all-over again to give them something to do. That's why I still hate most of the living story maps.

> It's bad game design and nothing more.

The worst part is that they're all TERRIBLE, no-fun, no-challenge quests. It's pure busywork and monotony. I've always wondered if there's somebody out there who actually enjoys them.

> @"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:

> As a completionist I find it annoying at best. Especially since the hearts are boring and boring. I do one heart leave map, 5 days later I see 1/x hearts complete. Forgot which one.

If the icon on the map has an infinity symbol under the heart, you have already completed the heart.