Idea: Renown Heart unlock

Most players aren't real fond of having to do all of the renown hearts in a zone to get map completion.

How about issuing a one-zone renown heart unlock item in the gem store?

* Is available only to accounts which have map completion on at least one character.

* It probably should only be available for characters on accounts that already have that zone completed.

* Should be character-based (one per character per zone).

* Would have to be pretty cheap.

* Optional: Unlock X hearts, where X is a number. All of the nearby locked hearts would become unlocked. (Nearby = a circle on the main map.) So, if you had an "unlock 50 hearts", it would find the 50 closest locked hearts to where the character is standing. Would be more expensive.

Thoughts?

_Edit 3/23: Added the new first bullet point, about requiring previous map completion._

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> ~~Most~~ Some players aren't real fond of having to do all of the renown hearts in a zone to get map completion.

Fixed that for you. I hate them, but a lot of people love them. Try not to assume what other people think based on what people post in the forums.

> How about issuing a one-zone renown heart unlock item in the gem store?

No.

It's a major factor in the amount of time to complete a map and therefore a factor in the rewards. It's completely imbalancing to offer the same rewards to those who complete it normally and those who pay to complete it, unless the cost is ridiculous.

This idea is somewhat similar to how you can 'buy' hero points without ever actually playing PVE using Testimonies of Heroics, but the difference is that you need to put in the work for those, too. What you are suggesting would be a major step towards a 'Pay-to-win' scenario... Just no. We already have instant level items, use those and the hearts will be all the more trivial and less time consuming. Mounts also contribute to how fast you can complete a map. Why do you need more?

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> Most players aren't real fond of having to do all of the renown hearts in a zone to get map completion.

>

> How about issuing a one-zone renown heart unlock item in the gem store?

>

> * It probably should only be available for characters on accounts that already have that zone completed.

> * Should be character-based (one per character per zone).

> * Would have to be pretty cheap.

> * Optional: Unlock X hearts, where X is a number. All of the nearby locked hearts would become unlocked. (Nearby = a circle on the main map.) So, if you had an "unlock 50 hearts", it would find the 50 closest locked hearts to where the character is standing. Would be more expensive.

>

> Thoughts?

We have now an unlock WP scroll. We can buy the Hero points with WvW currency. If they add this, then only an "unlock POI" is missing.

I suggest that instead of "unlock everything" scroll ANet should sell an "end game" scroll. When used you earn all the AP available in game, discover all the maps with POI's, WP's hearts, complete all the stories and after a congratulation screen, your account will be deleted. In this way you will see your goal completed (no more effort put in game) and ANet will have their goal achieved - money from gem store items.

> @"starhunter.6015" said:

> No just no,

> First of all, if you don't wanna play the game and want everything handed to you, then why keep playing.

> Second if actually sold, it should be as expensive as the WP unlocks or even more. Since it also unlocks the vendors for each heart.

With all due respect, doing "hearts" doesn't constitute "playing the game". There is almost zero gameplay bound to 95% of those, it's just a mind-numbing boring chore, a time sink. Unless pressing F key from time to time and moving your character around without any thought process involved counts as "gameplay" for you.

That said, I don't support approach suggested by topic starter. I would prefer them to simply be excluded from map completion requirements. Instead, they just need to count event participation for that matter. I.e. you complete, say, 7/10 events on this map, and that achievement is used instead of "hearts" completion. At least event do contain real gameplay worth your time.

> @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> With all due respect, doing "hearts" doesn't constitute "playing the game".

Of course it's "playing the game." Just because it happens to be a part of the game that holds no interest to you doesn't make it any less gameplay.

> There is almost zero gameplay bound to 95% of those, it's just a mind-numbing boring chore, a time sink. Unless pressing F key from time to time and moving your character around without any thought process involved counts as "gameplay" for you.

There's almost no thought in gathering, in reaching most vistas, in unlocking waypoints, in most events on most maps, especially if part of the meta. Unless pressing numbers other than one occasionally and moving your character to a tag counts as "gameplay" for you.

Turns out: sure, that counts as gameplay for lots of people. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I'm sorry you don't like hearts (for that matter, I'm sorry I don't like them either). They are, however, exactly a part of the game that some people love, which is why ANet added them back in the game, after leaving them out of Orr, maps introduced with LS1, and HoT maps.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Of course it's "playing the game." Just because it happens to be a part of the game that holds no interest to you doesn't make it any less gameplay.

No, it's just not a game at all, same as sorting papers on your table, or vacuuming your floor isn't a game. Though I even dare to say that vacuuming your floor offers more "gameplay" than "hearts" do :D If you log in to something resembling a game and do something resembling a gameplay (i.e. press buttons, move some character around) it doesn't yet mean you play a game, yknow. Or just sitting there, hitting "A" and "D" buttons in rapid succession would count as one too. Game starts where there is problem solving of some kind, involving some efforts (i.e. "problem solving" like find where on you screen there is a text which tells you where exactly you need to press F button isn't a game, unless you a *special* 8y.o. kid ofc), with significant probability you'll make a wrong decision and fail some objective (i.e. if you just can mash some buttons according to some script and always win, it's not a game, but a chore again) - and usually is accompanied by thrill and excitement - and "hearts" meet none of these criterias.

> There's almost no thought in gathering, in reaching most vistas, in unlocking waypoints, in most events on most maps, especially if part of the meta. Unless pressing numbers other than one occasionally and moving your character to a tag counts as "gameplay" for you.

That's not quite true - if you don't abuse mounts on every occasion, vistas offer quite a bit of JP-like gameplay, and finding many poins of interest involves quite a bit of exploration kind of gameplay, where you need to crack a riddle of how to reach certain of those. Though a halve of those don't require any thought process, that's true, yet those are the ones you'll find by simply enjoying the exploration part of gameplay and by running around the map doing some events or removing a fog of war from it, so it doesn't become chore like hearts.

Rose-colored glasses much?

As Mori said, they're boring, repetitive, and grindy. I've completed the map on six characters. Renown hearts are the worst part of it, by far. Once you've done it a few times, it just gets more grindy.

And, ANet needs money. So, I'll stand by my idea.

Goodness, people like you. So spoiled.

...and if you had it, you'd come here to complain how there is absolutely nothing to play.

Imo, they made a mistake by allowing waypoint unlock, now you people got spoiled and want more.

But ofc, what do I know... why in the world would you even play a game you paid for... oh well.

Plus.... I'd rather have nice set of hairstyles.

> if you don't abuse [insert an available shortcut] on every occasion, [insert available game activity] offer quite a bit [insert adjective] gameplay,

Fixed that for you.

All you've done is reinforce that you simply don't like Renown Hearts. And that's fine; no one is implying that you ought to reconsider. That doesn't mean you get to dismiss them as part of the game or having elements that others might find interesting.

As I've said on many occasions, I like Orr and HoT maps in part because there aren't any hearts. (And I stopped systematically completing maps on multiple toons after suffering through Lake Doric's hearts a few times.) So it's inexplicable to me that some people love them. And yet, nevertheless, some people do.

> > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > if you don't abuse [insert an available shortcut] on every occasion, [insert available game activity] offer quite a bit [insert adjective] gameplay,

> Fixed that for you.

You dind't fix anything. You can do something simple to make the mentioned parts of game to be fun and - yknow - actually be a game. You can't do anything, really, to make hearts to become such. They are dead-born. Well, you can, on rare occasion. Like, when you are still leveling your character, you could go to maps which are 5-10 lvs above your current lv, that would make even hearts to feel like a challenge and would force you to actually play a game. But that's not possible after you've reached lv 80, unless you'll be doing it naked, or wearing trash gear.

> All you've done is reinforce that you simply don't like Renown Hearts.

Whether I like them or not was not the point. You said something like "those who don't want to do hearts just don't want to play the game", and I just noted that most of "hearts" don't classify as one. That point still stands, I can't see how it's debunked.

Renown hearts are gameplay. Period. To claim otherwise is just plain silly.

Go to location, kill/fix/whatever X number of things until objective is completed, and then receive reward.

It is one of the most basic formulas for gameplay since games were created. If renown hearts are "not gameplay" then most games are just full of "not gameplay".

Just because *you* may not enjoy it does not make it not gameplay.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > > if you don't abuse [insert an available shortcut] on every occasion, [insert available game activity] offer quite a bit [insert adjective] gameplay,

> > Fixed that for you.

>

> You dind't fix anything. You can do something simple to make the mentioned parts of game to be fun and - yknow - actually be a game. You can't do anything, really, to make hearts to become such. They are dead-born. Well, you can, on rare occasion. Like, when you are still leveling your character, you could go to maps which are 5-10 lvs above your current lv, that would make even hearts to feel like a challenge and would force you to actually play a game. But that's not possible after you've reached lv 80, unless you'll be doing it naked, or wearing trash gear.

>

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > All you've done is reinforce that you simply don't like Renown Hearts.

> Whether I like them or not was not the point. You said something like "those who don't want to do hearts just don't want to play the game", and I just noted that most of "hearts" don't classify as one. That point still stands, I can't see how it's debunked.

>

You literally wrote:

> With all due respect, doing "hearts" doesn't constitute "playing the game".

And that's inaccurate.

It is more fair to say you don't like them, that you do not like hearts in a house, you don't like them with a mouse, you don't like them in a lair, you simply don't like them anywhere.

So no, rephrasing the same claim doesn't make it true.