Skyscale mount [Merged]

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Eramonster.2718" said:

> I wonder if this will makes griffon invalid(?). Climbing walls, time to break maps :lol:.

yeah, same question, how much will this mount make griffon, and also springer irrelevant in game :\

i dont know about anyone else, but i find jackel to be the most unless mount ... and the beetle, is slightly more used than jackel

most of the time i find myself on the raptor and griffon for travelling across maps

and i'm running out of hotkeys to quick switch

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"Eramonster.2718" said:

> > I wonder if this will makes griffon invalid(?). Climbing walls, time to break maps :lol:.

>

> yeah, same question, how much will this mount make griffon, and also springer irrelevant in game :\

>

> i dont know about anyone else, but i find jackel to be the most unless mount ... and the beetle, is slightly more used than jackel

>

> most of the time i find myself on the raptor and griffon for travelling across maps

>

> and i'm running out of hotkeys to quick switch

As already said, the griffon will not be invalid. You can be pretty sure the skyscale will not have the superspeed dive. the griffon will be a circumstance mount like the jackal.

However, you are undervaluing the jackal. The sand portal jump can be used for breaking falls, making heights completely irelevant. Where the raptor would be smushed upon hitting the ground.

All of them have their specific uses.

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> YES, A DRAGON!!!! Ahh, it doesn’t get better than dragons! That’s what I (and many people) have been waiting for ever since mounts became a thing. I sure hope we get a ton of skins, because I must have them all!

Man, I would love a Skyscale skin that represents all the dragon energy, Risen, Mordrem, Branded, etc.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"Eramonster.2718" said:

> > I wonder if this will makes griffon invalid(?). Climbing walls, time to break maps :lol:.

>

> yeah, same question, how much will this mount make griffon, and also springer irrelevant in game :\

>

> i dont know about anyone else, but i find jackel to be the most unless mount ... and the beetle, is slightly more used than jackel

>

> most of the time i find myself on the raptor and griffon for travelling across maps

>

> and i'm running out of hotkeys to quick switch

i actually find the roller beetle the least used out of all the mounts i have, because the wait time + speed + losing speed any time you stop on a leaf on the ground makes it difficult to really get mobility anywhere. It's fun for when i just feel like speeding around maps, but not really USEFUL for actually getting to places personally. i use the jackal and raptor almost equally actually.

the dragon mount is absolutely going to be my main though, purely because i love dragons SO MUCH.

and for anyone who is alright with add ons (or doesn't have compatibility issues like i saw someone mention on another thread) , gw2radial is an absolute ease of use. i have my Mouse 5 button for the radial and it's been a blast. I do wish it was a first party solution just because i don't really like having add ons, but this one felt right to get and REALLY good to use, i don't know how i'd play the game without it after that.

> @"Blur.3465" said:

> > @"Sir Alric.5078" said:

> > > @"Blur.3465" said:

> > > What I really hope for is a mount that can permanently fly and not 'drop'/lose altitude.

> > > It won't be game-breaking if ANet introduces something like:

> > > - No flying in JPs

> > > - Special Mastery Points for flying per area, so you can't fly instantly as soon as new area releases; something similar to what FFXIV has for flying.

> >

> > I really hope not. It would be game-breaking because you could then simply ascend high in the sky and travel from point A to point B while completely skipping anything (canyons, cliffs, mountains, rivers, mobs, ecc.) in between. Not only would it make traveling trivial, it would also make all other mounts completely useless. At least the Griffon has the limitation that you need to reach a high place first before you can glide down from it.

>

> It would not, as one would first have to work on specific things to be able to fly in X area, as I stated in my comment here.

> Once one gets to know the area by working for these things, I see no harm in being able to actually fly and enjoy.

> To be honest I really dislike how griffon flies and works, making it look clunky and like disabled when it flies or gets stuck in the cliffs while trying to climb and ascend.

> And most mounts are already useless in comparison to griffon and raptor. I never mount my Skimmer and Springer unless in dire need to do so and that is absolutely rare.

> I also never use the racing beetle unless I am in some extra hurry (which is almost never).

>

> The way I see it, it could only make the game experience more enjoyable. You already skip so many things with griffon and raptor, there's rarely any 'danger' to dismount you hard.

So instead of being broken right away it would become broken after a while? How does that change anything? Once you have completed those specific things you mentioned, you would still end up with a broken mount that makes every other mount totally useless. What's the point of having eight mounts in the game if just one of them is overwhelmingly superior to the other seven? New mounts/mechanics/content should never make old mounts/mechanics/content obsolete, imo. That's why i hope the new mount they announced will have restriction on it that would make it work alongside the Griffon instead of replacing it. As it should be.

People are just jumping about like the sky is falling down. Remember what they said when the Beetle came out and people QQed over its limitations, it took time to sink in that it wasnt meant to displace any other mounts, but having its specific niche. Aka omg fast travel on long, mostly flat maps. You can be sure that the Skyscale will complement, but not replace the Griffon. Just like how you can still land travel everywhere with the Beetle if you want, but its not the most efficient land travel on many maps.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> People are just jumping about like the sky is falling down. Remember what they said when the Beetle came out and people QQed over its limitations, it took time to sink in that it wasnt meant to displace any other mounts, but having its specific niche. Aka omg fast travel on long, mostly flat maps. You can be sure that the Skyscale will complement, but not replace the Griffon. Just like how you can still land travel everywhere with the Beetle if you want, but its not the most efficient land travel on many maps.

I’m more worried that the dragon mount won’t fill any nice that the others can’t. Apart from sticking to walls on the rare occasion you need to actually do that. The gryphon can already gain altitude, it just takes work. So unless the altitude gain from this mount is far superior I’m not sure how different it will be.

I am surprised that some people are surprised, since we already saw us riding a dragon in the teaser trailer. ;)

Looking forward to testing that new mount.

As for those who wrote that they can't see ANet explain it lore-wise: Hello? There are so many creatures of the dragon familiy in the game already that are _not_ elder dragon (nor any of their lieutenants). Wyverns, for example.

I really wonder how they will make it's mechanics to fit into the other mounts. For superspeed bursts, we have the griffon and beetle. For opportunistic semi-flying / avoiding fall damage we have the jackal and skimmer. For wall climbing we have the springer (seriously. the springer feet are magical, they can grab onto the tiniest invisible ledge on a horizontal wall if you do it right) So.. I guess the dragon will be a casual hybrid of all these while also being a tiny bit worse at it, like less height then springer and slower then griffon superspeed?

Everyone who thinks this mount will make the griffon useless probably never flew the griffon "right". The acrobatic travelling that you can do while being faster then the highspeed beetle is just insane. And being able to gain like 90% of the alititude back that you lost during the divebomb to gain the speed is mindblowing. The griffon amazes me anew all the time!

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Adenin.5973" said:

> > I hope we immediately get a real wyvern skin with this.

>

> Wyverns aren't the same body type as dragons (and some could argue griffons are different than those two).

>

>

Yeah, I know. I saw it too after looking again at it. A bit of a bummer, makes this the 3rd mount with the griffon skeleton....

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > > @"Eramonster.2718" said:

> > > I wonder if this will makes griffon invalid(?). Climbing walls, time to break maps :lol:.

> >

> > yeah, same question, how much will this mount make griffon, and also springer irrelevant in game :\

> >

> > i dont know about anyone else, but i find jackel to be the most unless mount ... and the beetle, is slightly more used than jackel

> >

> > most of the time i find myself on the raptor and griffon for travelling across maps

> >

> > and i'm running out of hotkeys to quick switch

>

> As already said, the griffon will not be invalid. You can be pretty sure the skyscale will not have the superspeed dive. the griffon will be a circumstance mount like the jackal.

> However, you are undervaluing the jackal. The sand portal jump can be used for breaking falls, making heights completely irelevant. Where the raptor would be smushed upon hitting the ground.

> All of them have their specific uses.

The skyscale just needs to be on the same speed(hopefully not better) while flapping and running on ground is more than enough. Lets face it, its rare and troublesome to get high enough for a griffon dive. I'm not sure about others but I practically use beetle boosters more than griffon speed dive on daily basis.

> the griffon will be a circumstance mount like the jackal.

:frown: If thats not bad enough, I don't know what is. How often is jackal being used? The only map that jackal mount have value is Desolation. The mount is not any faster aside from comparing it to a skimmer on land. Most of the time you won't know where the portals will bring you, memorized it for all the maps? players rather waypoint. As for fall damage, its not something to worry about; just remount after the mount dies(griffon and skimmer doesn't take fall damage).

> :frown: If thats not bad enough, I don't know what is. How often is jackal being used? The only map that jackal mount have value is Desolation. The mount is not any faster aside from comparing it to a skimmer on land. Most of the time you won't know where the portals will bring you, memorized it for all the maps? players rather waypoint. As for fall damage, its not something to worry about; just remount after the mount dies(griffon and skimmer doesn't take fall damage).

The jackal is being used everywhere, especially on farming runs in SW and istan, farm trains in HoT or places where you need to run through lots of dangerous mobs (like pocket raptors, smogscales, etc.). With the jackal you can just jump down anywhere and "fly" if you use your endurance bar combined with the Bond of Vigor skill since then your jackal with keep teleporting mid air. Sometimes it's worth doing it that way instead dismount, mount up on griffon (or skimmer for that matter), fly, dismout on ground, switch to jackal again.

You have three endurance bars, so you can easily zig zack through an army of enemies without being hit. You can also control which way you're going, instead of the straight line the raptor does. As for the fall damage: if you fall down with the raptor you get knocked down, get stunned on the ground and then have to re-mount again. This means if you happen to fall onto a trash mob that hits you, you end up in combat, can't mount up and need to wait, run or kill everything around you before you can finally remount and continue your journey. It's absolutely annoying. Imagine it happening every 3 minutes when you follow a commander or do map completition in HoT.. ugh. I mean sure if oyu have enough free time for that then it's fine, but some people don't want to waste time on something more then they need already.

TL;DR jackal is being used for travelling, not for sand portals only

> How often is jackal being used?

I use it **all the time** for the aforementioned reasons:

> @"Rattengeist.8165" said:

> The jackal is being used everywhere, especially on farming runs in SW and istan, farm trains in HoT or places where you need to run through lots of dangerous mobs (like pocket raptors, smogscales, etc.). With the jackal you can just jump down anywhere and "fly" if you use your endurance bar combined with the Bonf of Vigor skill since then your jackal with keep teleporting mid air. Sometimes it's worth doing it that way then dismount, mount up on griffon (or skimmer for that matter), fly, dismout on ground, switch to jackal again.

> You have three endurance bars, so you can easily zig zack through an army of enemies without being hit. You can also control which way you're going, instead of the straight line the raptor does. As for the fall damage: if you fall down with the raptor you get knocked down, get stunned on the ground and then have to re-mount again. This means if you happen to fall onto a trash mob that hits you, you end up in combat, can't mount up and need to wait, run or kill everything around you before you can finally remount and continue your journey. It's absolutely annoying. Imagine it happening every 3 minutes when you follow a commander or do map completition in HoT.. ugh. I mean sure if oyu have enough free time for that then it's fine, but some people don't want to waste time on something more then they need already.

This. :+1:

It can be used everywhere and by everyone. I'm sure there are reasons for it (eg. From ability to simple stuff like displaying skins or out of whim etc). Then again I'm only interested in statistics. I'm sure there will be players using griffon after skyclaw is made available, but is it necessary? (Faced no problem using raptor for istan etc but that's just me) And will new players still want to obtain a griffon afterwards(which is what I'm interested in :smile:), time will tell.

I have the money for the griffon, but for me I've not been able to complete the Beast of War story step yet - having lots of trouble with it. So I put it on hold and went on to LS4 while I worked on getting better with my skills. The skyscale mount looks really appealing to me as a way to be able to fly without having the griffon yet.

> It can be used everywhere and by everyone. I'm sure there are reasons for it (eg. From ability to simple stuff like displaying skins or out of whim etc). Then again I'm only interested in statistics. I'm sure there will be players using griffon after skyclaw is made available, but is it necessary? (Faced no problem using raptor for istan etc but that's just me) And will new players still want to obtain a griffon afterwards(which is what I'm interested in :smile:), time will tell.

If it helps, I use my Jackal in areas with dense monster groups with far ranged attacks, the 3 dodges are a godsend.

I have a bit more trouble justifying my use of the skimmer on maps without rivers or vast sea spaces, which is unfortunately most of them. It Does make a difference on those maps though, and I find the floaty movement interesting when it comes to having many turns. I do wish Skimmer was useable to float above All liquids though, lava included, but that Might be asking for too much, I remember it works in Desert Highland though...

Jackal is mostly an alternative to the Raptor. Both are meant for normal travel across the maps, with the difference that Raptor has high bursts of speed on high cooldown and Jackal low bursts of speed on low cooldown. Jackal also has the added sweets that:

1) The dash always travels the same distance, even if you're going up slides/stairs/etc

2) It's dash skill can be used midair, allowing for better mobility overall with both "flying" aswell as midair-turns.

3) Its dash skill nulls momentum, making it unable to die from fall damage

Overall the Raptor is probably slightly faster but the Jackal is much more versatile. To people that have decided on the Jackal as their "regular travel mount" the Raptor probably seems useless. x)

> @"Kaliwenda.3428" said:

> I have the money for the griffon, but for me I've not been able to complete the Beast of War story step yet - having lots of trouble with it. So I put it on hold and went on to LS4 while I worked on getting better with my skills. The skyscale mount looks really appealing to me as a way to be able to fly without having the griffon yet.

Post in the Players Helping Players forum and maybe someone there can get you past that story step.