[Suggestion] Click to walk / run, like in Guild Wars 1 / Why I'm not playing Guild Wars 2

There's a lot of arbitrary reasons people won't play a game. Like not rebinding a key press yourself to the mouse where you personally prefer it and instead just not playing the game entirely.

And a full-on click-to-move doesn't work with how the game was designed.

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

> Do you realize how often you would die if you couldn't move freely in this game?

>

> The RP walk toggle is able to be bound to any button

First point is true, the second point is a non-sequiteur.

Walk/Run toggle and click-to-move have no relation what so ever.

OP: unfortunately, the way combat is built in gw2, click-to-move couldn't realistically keep up with the dodges and strafing that's basically required.

If you aren't playing GW2 because it doesn't have click-to-move, the combat system is not going to work for you anyway. It's probably best you stick with GW1 or other ground-locked RPGs.

Just to start with, there are many playing areas in GW2 where there is no functional ground.

I missed out on the first year of GW2 because I refused to play a WASD game, but after watching some of my friends playing it and seeing how much more fluid the action seemed (to me), I forced myself to learn how to move using the keyboard. I'm still not a pro at it, but I manage well enough now after years of playing.

I do wish, however, that GW2 had the ability to click on a player and automatically follow them like GW1. Of course, with mounts now I don't know how well that would actually work.

^I have never learned to use WASD; probably will never play a game that demands it. Using the mouse is sooo much easier (to me).

Click-to-move would never work with, say, a Springer scaling a cliff, a Griffon flying hither and yon, gliding down a hole, etc.

Remember, OP, Guild Wars was basically flat, with no jumping, swimming, flight, dodging, fast movement, and so many other cool movement abilities Guild Wars 2 has.

Using both keys and the mouse for movement gives the best of both worlds, really. I suppose it was something of a habit in my case, coming from a game where you had separate controls for the orientations of torso and legs. (One of the reasons Mechwarrior was always a niche title.)

I really hated the absence of click--to-move when I first started. It had been years since I played a game which used WASD and since I'm left handed that specific configuration has never been comfortable for me. Fortunately GW2 has a lot of options for movement. Click-to-move isn't one of them, and none of them are exactly like it but IMO the nearest equivalent is using auto-run and the right mouse button to turn.

Outside of combat I hold down both mouse buttons, which makes your character run forwards and turn in whichever direction you turn the mouse. Or for long distances where holding the buttons down can get uncomfortable I turn on auto-run (so I just need to push the right button to turn) and action camera (so I don't even need the right button).

Then when I need more precise movement in combat and jumping puzzles I use the arrow keys to move (with left and right set to strafe, not turn). When you're using the arrow keys you don't need to worry about turning the character - point the camera in the direction you want to go, press the forward arrow and they'll turn instantly on the spot and go in that direction.

It sounds complicated, but it didn't take long for this to become second nature and now I don't even think about it when I'm playing.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> I missed out on the first year of GW2 because I refused to play a WASD game, but after watching some of my friends playing it and seeing how much more fluid the action seemed (to me), I forced myself to learn how to move using the keyboard. I'm still not a pro at it, but I manage well enough now after years of playing.

>

> I do wish, however, that GW2 had the ability to click on a player and automatically follow them like GW1. Of course, with mounts now I don't know how well that would actually work.

I laid out of the game early on because of this also. The click to walk to spot feature was basically auto-routing like NPCs have when navigating. In GW1 I would click on a distant post and let my character route itself there. When I first got GW2 at release I found the lack of that so annoying that I basically didn't play either game for a year. This is why I missed out on LWS1. It took dropping out of GW1/2 that long before I could stand playing GW2.

> @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > I missed out on the first year of GW2 because I refused to play a WASD game, but after watching some of my friends playing it and seeing how much more fluid the action seemed (to me), I forced myself to learn how to move using the keyboard. I'm still not a pro at it, but I manage well enough now after years of playing.

> >

> > I do wish, however, that GW2 had the ability to click on a player and automatically follow them like GW1. Of course, with mounts now I don't know how well that would actually work.

>

> I laid out of the game early on because of this also. The click to walk to spot feature was basically auto-routing like NPCs have when navigating. In GW1 I would click on a distant post and let my character route itself there. When I first got GW2 at release I found the lack of that so annoying that I basically didn't play either game for a year. This is why I missed out on LWS1. It took dropping out of GW1/2 that long before I could stand playing GW2.

I know! I came in at the end of LS1 and didn't understand what all was going on. At the time, I was glad when it was over. Now, in retrospect .... ;(

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > I missed out on the first year of GW2 because I refused to play a WASD game, but after watching some of my friends playing it and seeing how much more fluid the action seemed (to me), I forced myself to learn how to move using the keyboard. I'm still not a pro at it, but I manage well enough now after years of playing.

> > >

> > > I do wish, however, that GW2 had the ability to click on a player and automatically follow them like GW1. Of course, with mounts now I don't know how well that would actually work.

> >

> > I laid out of the game early on because of this also. The click to walk to spot feature was basically auto-routing like NPCs have when navigating. In GW1 I would click on a distant post and let my character route itself there. When I first got GW2 at release I found the lack of that so annoying that I basically didn't play either game for a year. This is why I missed out on LWS1. It took dropping out of GW1/2 that long before I could stand playing GW2.

>

> I know! I came in at the end of LS1 and didn't understand what all was going on. At the time, I was glad when it was over. Now, in retrospect .... ;(

I came back into the game just after LWS1 ended and Lion's Arch was in shambles. I really miss pre-destruction LA. It had character. Thankfully I got to see it before I dropped out of the game. I really wish they would follow a couple of my suggestions regarding it. One was to open up the instance zone map wide in the personal story that involves it so that new players can explore it more. The other was bring the old LA back for Halloween with Mad King Thorn being the reason for it. They could have a NPC saying that it is great because he was able to go to his old place to recover his lost belongings.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's now near two weeks, I can't play Guild Wars 1, because my charakter is standing on the rings.

So I play and test Guild Wars 2 intensive. It looks interesting, it looks nice, BUT it's not my thing, because the control is terrible.

It would be nice, if the steering can be similar to Guild Wars 1, at least if the charakter is walking on the ground.

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

> Do you realize how often you would die if you couldn't move freely in this game?

You could move just as freely in GW1, you simply had the additional option of moving to a target location by clicking on the spot. However, I feel this could become somewhat problematic in GW2 during fights.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> this would be sweet! I could pve this game in one hand, and eat chips in the other. such luxury.

Which you can do know buy the two methods listed by Danikat.8537, it's not that hard to hold both mouse buttons down and turn the mouse at the same time with one hand, and eat chips with the other...I've done it.

> @"MarkVonPlay.7391" said:

> So, it's now near two weeks, I can't play Guild Wars 1, because my charakter is standing on the rings.

> So I play and test Guild Wars 2 intensive. It looks interesting, it looks nice, BUT it's not my thing, because the control is terrible.

> It would be nice, if the steering can be similar to Guild Wars 1, at least if the charakter is walking on the ground.

Have you tried any of the methods suggested by people in this topic who struggled with the same thing when they moved from GW1 to GW2, but managed to find something which worked for them?

It's highly unlikely Anet is going to add click-to-move this long after the game released, and if they do it's likely to take them a very long time to do it because I can't imagine it would be a priority update, if they're even aware you want it. I don't think it's practical to keep waiting for them to add it, so you'll either need to find an alternative or give up on this game.

This is something I seem to recall devs talking about way back, early in GW2's development.

In GW1 click-to-walk works because there is no Z-axis. There is no jumping and there are no ledges to fall from. If you click somewhere and there is a way for you to go there, the game will find the path. In GW2 now suddenly there is jumping and terrain that can only be accessed by jumping. There are also ledges you can fall from and cliffs that will kill you if you fall off. It's a heck of a lot more work to program the engine to pick routes that won't damage or kill players. Devs would have to go through all the maps, go over all the terrain, and designate large chunks of it as _Do Not Allow Player Pathing_.

One of the reasons they got rid of the Follow Player option was because with the Z-axis it was easier to get a following player stuck or killed.

Could they add click-to-walk? Probably. Is it worth all the time and resources and a future of bug/support tickets of players complaining about things? Nope.