Skyscale movement first impressions

A dragon mount will always be a go to for me, but I'm a bit disappointed in its decreasing altitude cap. It's an unfortunate handicap for a dragon. Cliff 'Sky'scaling is a nice new technique, but that it's the only way the dragon overcomes its handicap is a bit weak. I saw some of the tricks to temporarily overcome this, and those will be fun to play around with.

Question: so if you move the Skyscale over a deep chasm from the top of the cliff, is the Skyscale maintaining altitude or slowly falling to the floor?

I think I'll come around on this; I'd rather have a lesser dragon than no dragon at all, and so long as nothing comes in later with true altitude gains, I'm happy to conclude that 'it's just hard to go up in Tyria.' It certainly looks laborious for the Skyscale.

Excited for War Eternal!

Staying up will be easy. It's getting up that might take a moment. Once you get high enough, you have complete control of the falloff and the skyscales descent within it is very slow. You can even remain perfectly stationary midair. So your airtime will be great.

And between our springer friends and the usual tricks we already do to get up into the air, combined with midair mounting mastery? It's going to be great.

With the final skyscale mastery you can latch onto any vertical surface to rebuild some of the stamina to actually ascend from that point and together with the bond of vigor mastery will probably let you build up an entire bars worth again to get back into the air and where you're trying to go.

They really put a lot of thought into this mount and it doesn't step on the Griffon's toes or particularly negate any other mount. It legitimately does something new and different and fills a niche. It looks balanced to me.

Also that engage skill is amazing and I'm so happy it counts as a fire field.

Imagine that the griffon is what the raptor is to ground travel. The skyscale is the springer. Bit slower, finer control. It's going to be a lot of fun to play with. Can't wait!

> @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

> You can even remain perfectly stationary midair. So your airtime will be great.

And what will be the point of remaining stationary midair?

I'm disapointed too.

and then all the limitations. you can not do this and we will stop that CD going off there and ....

i think i will get it and then never use it like the beetle and the Warclaw.

Unless they create a map where you need it to get arround.

It just looks clunky to me. There’s no point in the adrenaline bar outside of cliff scaling which looks pretty clunky in itself. Then, if you have no adrenaline I guess you’re stuck on the cliff or wall and have to fall back down again and start over on the nearest ledge? They didn’t discuss bond of faith interaction either.

On top of that, the canopy looks really narrow and kind of seems like you would be better off using a springer.

I’m sure it will be better with the rift and magic reinvigorating flight juice thing, but that’s going to be only a few select paths. It would be nice if they created some interaction for adrenaline outside of the cliff thing, because if there isn’t a cliff or wall near by you’re just going to be slowly hovering for a short distance, landing, and then repeating at a much slower speed than all the other mounts. I’m happy to get a dragon mount and it will be exciting to get it, but I feel like this wall focused mechanic would be much better suited for the spider mount with the dragon mount having some other functionality.

It just seems awkward for a winged creature to move like this?

Even just adjusting the wall tether to an actual wall climb with its unique climbing animation would have made it seem a lot more cohesive to me.

I mean, I like all of the mounts so far, so I may be surprised, but my impression from the first teaser and from this stream hasn’t really changed. Feels like they just knew people wanted a dragon mount, and then pieces together bits and pieces of already implemented mounts or scrapped mounts and kind of worked around what they had.

I still want one, but it just looks kind of clunky and like it will have extremely niche use outside of wanting to feel cool riding s dragon mount.

I do like that it has a longer wing span though.

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> It just looks clunky to me. There’s no point in the adrenaline bar outside of cliff scaling which looks pretty clunky in itself. Then, if you have no adrenaline I guess you’re stuck on the cliff or wall and have to fall back down again and start over on the nearest ledge? They didn’t discuss bond of faith interaction either.

>

> On top of that, the canopy looks really narrow and kind of seems like you would be better off using a springer.

>

> I’m sure it will be better with the rift and magic reinvigorating flight juice thing, but that’s going to be only a few select paths. It would be nice if they created some interaction for adrenaline outside of the cliff thing, because if there isn’t a cliff or wall near by you’re just going to be slowly hovering for a short distance, landing, and then repeating at a much slower speed than all the other mounts. I’m happy to get a dragon mount and it will be exciting to get it, but I feel like this wall focused mechanic would be much better suited for the spider mount with the dragon mount having some other functionality.

>

> It just seems awkward for a winged creature to move like this?

>

> Even just adjusting the wall tether to an actual wall climb with its unique climbing animation would have made it seem a lot more cohesive to me.

>

>

> I mean, I like all of the mounts so far, so I may be surprised, but my impression from the first teaser and from this stream hasn’t really changed. Feels like they just knew people wanted a dragon mount, and then pieces together bits and pieces of already implemented mounts or scrapped mounts and kind of worked around what they had.

>

> I still want one, but it just looks kind of clunky and like it will have extremely niche use outside of wanting to feel cool riding s dragon mount.

>

>

> I do like that it has a longer wing span though.

They showed the interaction. It gives you 50% of your blue bar on top of the endurance, so you will be able to go up a bit higher. As long as there are surfaces big enough to stand on a wall (almost all of them have that) then you will gain height.

> @"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:

> > @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

> > You can even remain perfectly stationary midair. So your airtime will be great.

>

> And what will be the point of remaining stationary midair?

>

> I'm disapointed too.

> and then all the limitations. you can not do this and we will stop that CD going off there and ....

>

> i think i will get it and then never use it like the beetle and the Warclaw.

> Unless they create a map where you need it to get arround.

Hovering is the ability I'm most excited about. I think it's going to be really useful for exploration to be able to fly out into an open area then stop and look around without having to find somewhere to land, and then have your view restricted by the terrain. Even if you need to use a mix of the springer and skyscale to climb a cliff being able to fly a short way out to see it and map a path will make things easier too.

This will be invaluable if you do the desert highlands treasure hunt. I am constantly jumping off cliffs to get away from the 35678533 creatures that aggroed when I collected the chest but then after gliding to lose the aggro I have to land Or quickly click the next kit.

With this it will be jump glide select skyscale HOVER click go.

Just one use I will be assigning it!

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> It can be used w here a Springer wouldn't have enough space to stand. It's not super amazing, but it does have a purpose.

Same - not super amazing, so rather a bit disappointing (after watching the Guild Chat). Final verdicts, however, can only be made after testing it yourself, so we'll see. ;)

i don't know why they don't give us full fledged flying mounts. I mean, it's not like we can't already have access to lots of places that break the maps, or see outside the map boundaries already as it is. the only downside is that no one woud ever touch land again lol

> @"coso.9173" said:

> i don't know why they don't give us full fledged flying mounts. I mean, it's not like we can't already have access to lots of places that break the maps, or see outside the map boundaries already as it is. the only downside is that no one woud ever touch land again lol

and thats a big downside since noone would help or revive people while on their way that happens now.

So, the basis of the Skyscale is that where ever you mount up, is where its canopy starts, right? While it seems a tad annoying, I wonder if you could bypass this by using a full Sprigger jump, launching in to Bond of Faith and then mounting up. I believe someone on here posted about this technique similarly. If that's the case and the canopy starts when the dragon is mounted, you could then abuse Bond of Faith to continually gain altitude. But what happens if you fly below the bottom of your canopy? Does it then reset, or..?

Idk might be good if you're waiting around for an event to pop and need to get away from melee ground mobs? Other than that I respect the fact it's not supposed to outshine griffon & the other mounts but yeah... it does seem a little underwhelming for 'the' dragon mount. I'm sure we'll find a use for it.

One frustrating thing is I am guessing a lot of people who wanted griffon already got it. So anyone who wants it now will have a tough time finding other people to do the things for it. We NEED a flying mount beside griffon so there would not be two classes in the game and this was their chance to fix that issue.

Might be good for searching for stuff hidden in cliffs. Eg vb, td. It would certainly be easier than when you glide past something like a hp and one of anet's beloved nooks and crannies while searching for it, and gotta go way back up again.

What I dislike is the weird leg paddling... It feels too exaggerated and un-dragonlike...