Changing Ownership of account

Hello everyone.

So this is the situation: my fiance has been using my mother's account since just before Path of Fire. Now, my mother hasn't played on her account for a good long while even before that which is why she offered her account to my fiance.

Long story short, the relationship between my mother and my fiance has soured severely which has my fiance and myself worried that my mother might maliciously delete her characters, especially knowing how much the characters mean to my fiance as well as the time and money invested in this account by my fiance.

I would like to know if it is possible to change ownership, namely login email, without notifying my mother about it to definitely avoid triggering a malicious retaliation. I have all necessary login details, such as account name etc.

I realize this is perhaps not the best place to ask but we would appreciate any assistance.

No, it is not possible to 'change' ownership. This is why account sharing is against the ToS. Your best bet would be to acquire (purchase) another account for your fiance to play. If a dispute over account ownership should occur, access will be granted only to the rightful (paid/registered) owner, or in the case that the rightful owner can not be determined, the account will be closed.

> @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> From https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

> > 9. You may not buy, sell, transfer or auction (or host or facilitate the ability to allow others to buy, sell, transfer or auction) , or offer to transfer, sell or auction, or buy or accept any offer to transfer, sell or auction, any game Account or game Content[...]

I'm curious how that applies to an account created by a person who has since passed away, specifically, say, the late Mrs Cynic.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"luzonophir.7134" said:

> > technically you can uplevel free-to-play accounts to have 80 maxed characters and lots of gold by farming pvp and "auction" it afterwards.

>

> technically, that's against the rules

>

> (unless you meant sell the mats on the trading post, which some people erroneously refer to as the auction house)

Another question is if ArenaNets rules about account selling will be enforceable under local law. At least in the EU there has been [legislation](https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-03-eu-rules-publishers-cannot-stop-you-reselling-your-downloaded-games "legislation") that allows customers to sell their digital (gaming) licenses to others, even if the EULA disallows it.

> @"luzonophir.7134" said:

> > @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> not only that. in the USA, Gamestop buys "USED Software GAMES (non-sub/keydependent)" bought from people who don't use/play those games anymore and resells them as a cheaper alternative to their brand new/sealed version.

Companies cannot legally in the US sell GW2 _accounts_, which is the topic of the thread.

The sale or resale of the software is not the issue.

> about upleveling a free to play account to 2 level 80 chars and lots of gold, you will need LOTS, and i mean LOTS of time.

The amount of time spent leveling is moot.

> So this procedure cannot be massively replicated in little time. just level 2-3 accounts, and price them accordingly (via gold GW2 standard based on the current Gem to gold exchange).

Again, this is not permitted.

> So yeah, i think i am targeting/sending msg to the PvPers. lel.

It doesn't matter whom you are targeting.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"luzonophir.7134" said:

> > > @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> > not only that. in the USA, Gamestop buys "USED Software GAMES (non-sub/keydependent)" bought from people who don't use/play those games anymore and resells them as a cheaper alternative to their brand new/sealed version.

> Companies cannot legally in the US sell GW2 _accounts_, which is the topic of the thread.

> The sale or resale of the software is not the issue.

>

> > about upleveling a free to play account to 2 level 80 chars and lots of gold, you will need LOTS, and i mean LOTS of time.

> The amount of time spent leveling is moot.

>

> > So this procedure cannot be massively replicated in little time. just level 2-3 accounts, and price them accordingly (via gold GW2 standard based on the current Gem to gold exchange).

> Again, this is not permitted.

>

> > So yeah, i think i am targeting/sending msg to the PvPers. lel.

> It doesn't matter whom you are targeting.

>

accounts are akin to gamer KEYS. you download the .exe, apply the key and there is your account.

can you resell your account, on which you used KEYS? this is why Gamestop sells "USED SOFTWARE with functional KEYS."

and yeah, show me the actual "PAPER/.TXT" that those you itemized are not permitted, so i would assume that you are REALLY reading EULAS.

IMO, it might be a good idea to open a new account quickly and 'migrate' the stuff she wants to keep as much as is possible. It will not be possible to move the time and money spent to the new account, or account-bound items, but if you make a careful record of your characters' settings (a total makeover kit will let you see the appearance settings) you can at least recreate your characters. I believe that after you delete a character, there is a 24-hour period, after which anyone can use the name: so you should be able to recreate the character with their original name 24 hours after you delete the original.

It will stink to have to restart from scratch, but better to do it immediately if you think the account owner may delete your characters, and it's better not to waste more time playing on an account that you will never own..