Is alliances still going to make it?

Tomahawk.7361

Server balance is really hurting/killing the game mode of wvw right now. It's no surprise to us vets that play it non-stop. 75 people limits per map size is far too big these days. The pessimist in me really wonders if anet just likes the income from gem transfers or if they genuinely want to finish this proper matchmaking system that was mentioned? Will alliances be prioritized before the mode fully flat-lines? I still root for it to succeed, but can't help but feel all my financial support of this game only goes into PvE.

> @"Tomahawk.7361" said:

> I still root for it to succeed, but can't help but feel all my financial support of this game only goes into PvE.

Its the same "financial support" you know. Nothing spent in a particular gameplay mode will be allocated specifically for that gameplay mode. So in Anets books, that OK.

It is disappointing not to have heard anything new on alliances however. My personal hope is that now when the LS episode is over, they will take the time to focus on mechanics and system instead of content. Still want those build templates too :(

But I have feeling I will remain disappointed.

Arenanet is supporting a single player RPG right now, not an MMO. So much talent and work hours wasted on three hour content, no one is going to replay.

Even if alliances make it into the game, it's still the same old WvW mode. Winning isn't going to matter and balance will be still the ugly stepchild of sPvP. Which is sad, since WvW has great potential and could wipe the floor with other RvR games.

> @"Tomahawk.7361" said:

> Server balance is really hurting/killing the game mode of wvw right now.

This has been true since the first month of the game. Why is it more urgent today?

> if they genuinely want to finish this proper matchmaking system that was mentioned?

[They have said they do, as recently as last month](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/):

"_We’ve mentioned in the past how important world restructuring is to our WvW initiatives, and that hasn’t changed._"

It's not going to happen more quickly because people keep posting about how one-sided they feel this week's or this month's match ups have been.

I don't particularly care when/if alliances make it into the game, but my gem buying is over(6 months and counting) until alliances hit.

I have spent quite a bit of money on this game, and for me to continue to support it to the level I have they need to put out some promised WvW content.

They promise something, they need to deliver.

> @"beatthedown.2651" said:

> Arenanet is supporting a single player RPG right now, not an MMO. So much talent and work hours wasted on three hour content, no one is going to replay.

>

> Even if alliances make it into the game, it's still the same old WvW mode. Winning isn't going to matter and balance will be still the ugly stepchild of sPvP. Which is sad, since WvW has great potential and could wipe the floor with other RvR games.

I honestly think if ANet's focus went towards WvW some years ago instead of single player "mmo" content, the game would be a gold mine for them.

> @"Samug.6512" said:

> > @"beatthedown.2651" said:

> > Arenanet is supporting a single player RPG right now, not an MMO. So much talent and work hours wasted on three hour content, no one is going to replay.

> >

> > Even if alliances make it into the game, it's still the same old WvW mode. Winning isn't going to matter and balance will be still the ugly stepchild of sPvP. Which is sad, since WvW has great potential and could wipe the floor with other RvR games.

>

> I honestly think if ANet's focus went towards WvW some years ago instead of single player "mmo" content, the game would be a gold mine for them.

Why? RvR isn't a success in any game.

It is basically a failed game mode, where every attempt at it just produces boring, uncompetitive, low quality PvP (most of the time), in a game mode so flawed (stacking, population / coverage issues, PvDoor, etc) that "winning" is essentially deemed meaningless by most players.

There isn't much demand for that.

> @"zinkz.7045" said:

> Why? RvR isn't a success in any game.

You already gave yourself the answer. The first well-designed RvR at least could have become a gold mine, because other games have yet failed to deliver a good one.

> @"zinkz.7045" said:

> It is basically a failed game mode, where every attempt at it just produces boring, uncompetitive, low quality PvP (most of the time), in a game mode so flawed (stacking, population / coverage issues, PvDoor, etc) that "winning" is essentially deemed meaningless by most players.

>

> There isn't much demand for that.

Its the big scale game experience, that makes it speshul. Even if it is a bad quality big scale game experience (hello flawed balance, lags, no fresh content etc.) it made at least a decent amount of players extremely addictive for 7 years now.

Maybe you just had the wrong expectations for WvW to be "competitive", "high quality PvP" and that winning is the primary reason to play WvW? To me the design looks more than an "open world" just for fun battleground, with no skill-based matchmaking or server making. And a somewhat competitive part, which is fight guilds.

> @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > > They promise something, they need to deliver.

> > they haven't promised anything other than that they want to make it happen

> >

>

> This seems like a pretty blatant promise that SOMETHING is going to happen.

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuring/p1

>

Feb 1st 2018 lol holy cow we'll be lucky to see alliances in 2020 at this rate. prob working on their single player content aka the living story aka 3 hours of content tops which is a timegate hell.

> @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > > They promise something, they need to deliver.

> > they haven't promised anything other than that they want to make it happen

> >

>

> This seems like a pretty blatant promise that SOMETHING is going to happen.

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuring/p1

>

Maybe you missed this part:

"It is important to keep in mind that we still are investigating and working on this system"

They certainly plan on alliances; that's not the same as promising a delivery date for it.

Ikr? Why win if we get more rewards losing while outnumbered.

> @"Tomahawk.7361" said:

> Server balance is really hurting/killing the game mode of wvw right now. It's no surprise to us vets that play it non-stop. 75 people limits per map size is far too big these days. The pessimist in me really wonders if anet just likes the income from gem transfers or if they genuinely want to finish this proper matchmaking system that was mentioned? Will alliances be prioritized before the mode fully flat-lines? I still root for it to succeed, but can't help but feel all my financial support of this game only goes into PvE.

> @"beatthedown.2651" said:

> Arenanet is supporting a single player RPG right now, not an MMO. So much talent and work hours wasted on three hour content, no one is going to replay.

>

> Even if alliances make it into the game, it's still the same old WvW mode. Winning isn't going to matter and balance will be still the ugly stepchild of sPvP. Which is sad, since WvW has great potential and could wipe the floor with other RvR games.

> @"enkidu.5937" said:

> You already gave yourself the answer. The first well-designed RvR at least could have become a gold mine, because other games have yet failed to deliver a good one.

But that game, if it ever exists which I doubt, is not, nor would have ever been, WvW in GW2.

> Its the big scale game experience, that makes it speshul. Even if it is a bad quality big scale game experience (hello flawed balance, lags, no fresh content etc.) it made at least a decent amount of players extremely addictive for 7 years now.

I agree that the big scale experience is a plus point for RvR games and somewhat unique, but then it has been shown time after time that it not enough. As for a "decent amount" of players, no, it is an absolutely tiny amount still playing WvW regularly and it is not as if PvP is unpopular in the gaming world, MOBAs, Shooters, etc can have tens of millions of players. And the reason for that is simple, in the grand scheme of PvP in video games, RvR is simply not very good PvP, so that has a very limited appeal.

> Maybe you just had the wrong expectations for WvW to be "competitive", "high quality PvP" and that winning is the primary reason to play WvW? To me the design looks more than an "open world" just for fun battleground, with no skill-based matchmaking or server making. And a somewhat competitive part, which is fight guilds.

I don't expect a game mode like WvW to have competitive e-sports PvP, the problem is it is so lacking in that regard that even at the most basic level - a fight, what you end up with more often than not, is an encounter that is pretty one-sided and pretty dull, not fun. Which is part of the reason you had people trying to invent their own gamemode - GvG.

As for winning, you misunderstand, some of the most fun PvP I've had in games has been on the losing side, the point was that the game mode is so flawed that it is not fit-for-purpose so people basically ignore it, that isn't a recipe for a successful game or a "gold mine".

I seriously doubt if we'll ever see the alliance system in wvw. Anet will continue to talk about it so as to 'dangle a bone' out there.....but I really don't think it will ever happen. And if it ever did come to be, it would probably be so heavily bugged that most wvw'ers would just ignore it.

At this point in the game's life, there is for more money to be made by adding content and shinies to PvE. WvW has never been a priority to Anet, and with the game's age, the recent layoffs, wvw population, etc.....there is no reason not to expect even less attention to be paid to the mode by Anet.

As another poster in this thread said.....'expect little and you won't be greatly disappointed'.

> @"zinkz.7045" said:

> > @"enkidu.5937" said:

> > You already gave yourself the answer. The first well-designed RvR at least could have become a gold mine, because other games have yet failed to deliver a good one.

>

> But that game, if it ever exists which I doubt, is not, nor would have ever been, WvW in GW2.

>

> > Its the big scale game experience, that makes it speshul. Even if it is a bad quality big scale game experience (hello flawed balance, lags, no fresh content etc.) it made at least a decent amount of players extremely addictive for 7 years now.

>

> I agree that the big scale experience is a plus point for RvR games and somewhat unique, but then it has been shown time after time that it not enough. As for a "decent amount" of players, no, it is an absolutely tiny amount still playing WvW regularly and it is not as if PvP is unpopular in the gaming world, MOBAs, Shooters, etc can have tens of millions of players. And the reason for that is simple, in the grand scheme of PvP in video games, RvR is simply not very good PvP, so that has a very limited appeal.

>

> > Maybe you just had the wrong expectations for WvW to be "competitive", "high quality PvP" and that winning is the primary reason to play WvW? To me the design looks more than an "open world" just for fun battleground, with no skill-based matchmaking or server making. And a somewhat competitive part, which is fight guilds.

>

> I don't expect a game mode like WvW to have competitive e-sports PvP, the problem is it is so lacking in that regard that even at the most basic level - a fight, what you end up with more often than not, is an encounter that is pretty one-sided and pretty dull, not fun. Which is part of the reason you had people trying to invent their own gamemode - GvG.

>

> As for winning, you misunderstand, some of the most fun PvP I've had in games has been on the losing side, the point was that the game mode is so flawed that it is not fit-for-purpose so people basically ignore it, that isn't a recipe for a successful game or a "gold mine".

>

Lots of things I can agree with, though iirc in the beginning WvW was well-populated, and fights weren't that one-sided. Well-organized squads were beating much bigger squads on a regular basis with coordinated combo field blasts. So yeah "what if they would have focussed on WvW", we'll never find out, unfortunatelly, since they decided to deny it new content on a regular basis (what might have driven away lots of casuals) and balance towards a more simplified combat meta (what might have driven away lots of competitive players).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > > > They promise something, they need to deliver.

> > > they haven't promised anything other than that they want to make it happen

> > >

> >

> > This seems like a pretty blatant promise that SOMETHING is going to happen.

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuring/p1

> >

>

> Maybe you missed this part:

> "It is important to keep in mind that we still are investigating and working on this system"

>

> They certainly plan on alliances; that's not the same as promising a delivery date for it.

>

>

Okay so the semantics of delivery date versus general desire to bring a system to fruition. Regardless, until the game delivers something for WvW I can't give them my money.

i think they got enough stuff in the back but they just dont release it now cause they have no competitor for the game mode at the moment.

they posted once that they developing but dont want to talk about it and it was not related to alliances.

for us players is just frustrating to not get any new real content cause of market competition reasons.

might be related to camelot unchained not released yet cause that developement takes ages already and there will be competition for playerbase. anet will lose alot players if they dont use their time atm to polish wvw in the back while camelot gets slowly forward only.

ah yeah just an idea what would encourage alot players to play the gamemode.

make a terminal available ingame where players can register and everyone who registered takes part in leaderboards then.

you can browse the terminal and see who did

- most damage in the current week match

- most heals in the current week match

- most total kills in the current match

- most stomp kills in the current match

- most damage by using siege

- most repairs

- most camp taken or defended

- most dolly kills or defends

- etc etc etc

can do hundreds of stats available for players, who register themself at the terminal to measure themself with others.

with this data can create special rewards and theres already more competition.

imagine here would be prizes on weekly basis to win...