Naming Mounts

Hey, Anet! We can name our pets. Why can't we name our mounts? It shouldn't be too much different in coding (if at all) to add name tags to our mounts. Just a suggention! I know a lot of players like to name their pets/mounts. We'd appreciate it if we could do it in game!

Thanks.

I'm not a coder but something tells me those two things aren't equivalent. At all. It would also look really ugly, wouldn't it? Your mount never exists as a separate entity from you so even if it was possible the name couldn't be displayed without either clashing with your characters or overwriting it, which won't do at all.

> @"Starligh.5214" said:

> Hey, Anet! We can name our pets. Why can't we name our mounts? It shouldn't be too much different in coding (if at all) to add name tags to our mounts. Just a suggention! I know a lot of players like to name their pets/mounts. We'd appreciate it if we could do it in game!

>

> Thanks.

Where would the name go? Right now the players name is displayed over a mounted character, which makes sense since the player is more important than the mount. Would the name of the mount override the name of the player? Would the name of the mounted player change to "[playername] riding [mountname]"? Where would the name be visible when there's no way of displaying ones mount outside of mounting it?

Also there's the point of players giving their mounts offensive or inapropriate names. A problem we already have with guilds and pets without having an option to report them(reports are limited to inapropriate character names atm).

Might not be that easy after all. I have names for some of my mounts and the names exist in my head, I don't need them displayed ingame for me or others.

> @"kratan.4619" said:

> > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > no ppl just name it pikachu etc and it breaks immersion

>

> ppl name their character pikachu as well.

Yes, but only one player can name their character Pikachu. If they used pet naming rules then we would have thousands of mounts named Pikachu.

> @"Tzarakiel.7490" said:

> > @"kratan.4619" said:

> > > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > no ppl just name it pikachu etc and it breaks immersion

> >

> > ppl name their character pikachu as well.

>

> Yes, but only one player can name their character Pikachu. If they used pet naming rules then we would have thousands of mounts named Pikachu.

Maybe everyone on this forum is an exception to the rule but there's been several mount name topics and none of them have had many reoccurring names, and names from other franchises weren't any more common than with player names. (I think I'm one of the worst offenders there, with mounts called Totoro, Manaurai and Link.) So I don't think that's a big issue.

Unfortunately I don't think it's an easy thing to do because as I understand it mounts are a change to the players model and skills, unlike pets which are a separate model, so there's nothing to attach a new name plate to.

I think it would have to go into the players name plate, which is be fine with since I only see them when I click on a player, but we've already had some people mention name plate clutter in this topic and I know it's a concern for other people (I assume mainly those who keep player names turned on) so that would have to be considered.