GW2 2019? Worth coming back?

I played a bit years ago.

I just bought a gaming computer and I'm downloading the game as I write,

but is the game alive? Are there specific servers that I should join or any guilds?

I've always been the lone player since my friends dont really like mmorpgs.

Anyone out there? :(

Been playing the game every year since release, and it seems perfectly healthy to me. =)

(ignore the forums; as my art tutor once said "Aren't all forums full of angry people?", to which she was completely correct.)

The game uses the mega server system, so what server you join should only affect WvW.

If you like free then yes its well worth it. Everything is pretty much alive. There is plenty for you to come back to. Most complaints come from those who played it for years and feel they have done everything. Ive been playing since launch and still have much to do. Best part of coming back is that you dont feel left behind.

Well, we're now in-between content, and (as far as we know, because Anet is, as usual, being ominously silent) the next expac got cancelled. The future of the game is at the moment quite cloudy. Game' still alive, though, so you might want to come back and see for yourself. Don't get too attached, though - we really don't know what's going to happen next.

Yes the game is still alive. We're between releases at the moment with Season 4 having finished recently (you might still get the latest episode unlocked for free when you log in) and Season 5 not yet started. We might be getting an announcement later today (US east coast time) for what's coming next. But there's still plenty of people in-game, and in a way the time between big releases can be a good time to catch up because people are more relaxed and spread out rather than focusing on The New Thing.

Servers only matter for World vs. World. For everything else maps are shared between all servers in a region, with copies of each map being created and deleted as necessary so it doesn't get too crowded.

You can use the Looking For Guild section of the forum to find a guild to join - remember to let them know which region you're in and what kind of things you like to do in-game so you can find one which is a good fit, or you can look for guild adverts in-game. You can also use the Looking For Group tool in-game to find people to play with for a specific activity. Unlike a lot of games it's not just for dungeons - it can be used to find a group for literally any activity in the game and allows you to write your own message to let people know what you're doing and to choose a specific group rather than just being dropped into one with a space. (BTW the LFG tool doesn't move you to the activity - so you'll need to get onto the right map yourself, either before or after finding a group to join.)

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> Well, we're now in-between content, and (as far as we know, because Anet is, as usual, being ominously silent) the next expac got cancelled. The future of the game is at the moment quite cloudy. Game' still alive, though, so you might want to come back and see for yourself. Don't get too attached, though - we really don't know what's going to happen next.

Technically it didn't get cancelled - they hadn't announced one, or even said there would be an expansion after Season 4. Players just assumed there would be because that's been the pattern for the past few years. But as far as we know they weren't even working on an expansion, so there was nothing to cancel.

It's like the people saying Fallout 5 has been cancelled in favour of Fallout 4 spin-offs and 76, when Bethesda hasn't said anything about it, players just assume there will be one because there's been 4 previous games (although with a _long_ break between 2 and 3) and so see anything else coming first as the game they expected being cancelled for something else.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > Well, we're now in-between content, and (as far as we know, because Anet is, as usual, being ominously silent) the next expac got cancelled. The future of the game is at the moment quite cloudy. Game' still alive, though, so you might want to come back and see for yourself. Don't get too attached, though - we really don't know what's going to happen next.

>

> Technically it didn't get cancelled - they hadn't announced one, or even said there would be an expansion after Season 4. Players just assumed there would be because that's been the pattern for the past few years. But as far as we know they weren't even working on an expansion, so there was nothing to cancel.

Fair point. Their original plans for expac/ls/expac/ls/(...) cadence got cancelled, not the expac itself. The result is the same - we won't be getting expac 3 anytime soon (possibly ever).

They might try other strategies. Didn't GW1 also have only 3 "campaigns" + the Eye of the North which was something you could do (afaik ... only read it in the Wiki ... I haven't really played GW1) with any char from the core campaigns? So the next exansion really might be something different with new race outside the scope of the normal story that all the core races still have to go through. Where you'd start with a higher level char and have to unlock it first by playing something with the core game + 2 expansions. (Reaching certain achievements.)

Also if it is about money ... expansions surely cost a lot of development time. As long as skins n stuff is bringing them money they might consider a slower relase schedule. Helping new/returning players to catch up while still getting even a bigger focus later if people had to wait longer. (I'm sure a lot will return ... even though everony is crying and wants to stop because of no new content.)

Personally I still have lots of stuff to do - since I returned from a break (played from release till end 2013) and haven't even bought one expansions. Later I'd consider WvW and PvP the endgame. Also chatting and helping new players with JPs could be fun for me. (For example going with the dailes that require do do old JP and enjoying the community.)

Grind, optimized dps builds and raiding, and hardcore achievement maxing never has been my thing. (I'd play WoW if I wanted that.)

Yes, it is imho very much worthy to come back. There currently is some criticism in the game for ArenaNet not announcing the next big expnsion plans, but that is not really relevant for you as you still have plenty of new content to experience which got released after your break. So, you will more likely drown in the content than starve by lack of it.

Living World Season 3, The Path of Fire expansion and Living World Season 4 bring you a lot of high-quality content to experience and to expand your characters possibilities. All of them will bring beautiful new stories, location, new skills / specializations, masteries and since Path of Fire, many different mounts.

The story has hit rock bottom (imo), but the game itself is well populated and enjoyable otherwise. There's plenty to do and content on the way (apparently). It could use some direction or a Game Director that ins't aloof from the community/game, but otherwise, my cynicism aside, it's hard not to recommend GW2 if you enjoy mmos

> @"Luthan.5236" said:

> They might try other strategies. Didn't GW1 also have only 3 "campaigns" + the Eye of the North which was something you could do (afaik ... only read it in the Wiki ... I haven't really played GW1) with any char from the core campaigns?

Yes. Although you do have to remember that EotN was something that was released only _after_ they made plans to cancel Utopia campaign, stop future GW1 development and go for GW2 instead.

It was made clear that if we get a 3rd expansion: it'll be after LWS5 finishes.

The game is alive, most people are doing the weekly boss rush so don't expect much happening in other areas of the game. WvW is both dead and alive depending on which server you're on.

PvP is flooded with a couple broken professions which make it almost unplayable and unfun.

Your best bet is to stick to PvE content right now. Finish the personal story and living world content. It's all very enjoyable and will sink hundreds upon hundreds of hours of time to complete.

> @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > if you want to play open world PvE then game is more than alive and doing well.

> Here's hoping ANet starts focusing on open world PvE, eh? :-)

Well technically all LW maps are open world, outside of the story missions. Open world keeps expanding, through S2, S3, PoF, S4 and the to-be-released-sometime-hopefully-soon S5. We've seen way more expansion in the open world PvE arena that we have in Raids, Fractals, sPvP or WvW..