Roaming event / world bosses

Is it still on a timer? Do other events cease before said WB event commences? Still pre-events? Still lore associated with the WB and its pre-events, if any?

By anywhere, do you mean just certain locations? Wouldn't make much sense for Fire Elemental to spawn at the bottom of a lake...what was Rooba and the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 doing down there; what were they cleaning? :wink:

How much work would it be for the Devs to create all those pre-events - path the NPCs, etc. - to create this?

I'd imagine the pattern of possible areas where these World Bosses appear, and times, would soon be discovered.

> @"Shylo.1426" said:

> world / event bosses can now spawn anywhere.

>

>

> thoughts.

World bosses anywhere I don't think would work since coding random is extremely difficult. Want more spontaneous events, add monster play. Outside of that events of this style like Scarlets invasions were fun, rewarding and interesting. Pure random don't think would work so well since you need players aware of what was going on to be able to find them. So events highlighting various maps at different times I could see working. Further the idea by adding in a carrot. Here is an infusion that is ultra rare drop only on this map when these events are running, have something similar for each map/event and then rotate them in and out and link them to a theme. 'Due to the passing of the dragon the mists grew thin and have allowed x to pass thru, you are needed to help stem this invasion...'.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Shylo.1426" said:

> > world / event bosses can now spawn anywhere.

> >

> >

> > thoughts.

>

> Define "anywhere". The Shatterer spawning outside Queensdale?

If Mordremoth can attack the Mother Tree in the Grove, he can attack _anywhere_.

(Of course, the reality in a game is that mobs have to be scripted and tested within the specific environment; there's no such thing as a random spawn anywhere in the world in modern MMOs. Not yet, anyhow.)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"Shylo.1426" said:

> > > world / event bosses can now spawn anywhere.

> > >

> > >

> > > thoughts.

> >

> > Define "anywhere". The Shatterer spawning outside Queensdale?

>

> If Mordremoth can attack the Mother Tree in the Grove, he can attack _anywhere_.

>

> (Of course, the reality in a game is that mobs have to be scripted and tested within the specific environment; there's no such thing as a random spawn anywhere in the world in modern MMOs. Not yet, anyhow.)

hmm What about that elonian explorer with her springer in pof maps and the mysterious charr related to rift stabilizers?

Aren't they always swapping location?

I don't think you have 6 npcs with same name spawning at different hours :/

I mean ley anomaly already pop at many locations....

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> hmm What about that elonian explorer with her springer in pof maps and the mysterious charr related to rift stabilizers?

> Aren't they always swapping location?

Sure. But the locations for the rift stabilizers are fixed. Elisa's locations are fixed. They aren't "anywhere;" there are specific wheres.

> I don't think you have 6 npcs with same name spawning at different hours :/

I didn't think that was what the OP asked for.

> I mean ley anomaly already pop at many locations....

Again, those are fixed locations. They have each been individually scripted.

I agree that moving actual world bosses to random locations wouldn't work because so much needs to be scripted and depends on the location. I also agree that it would be a bad idea to randomly start up a fight needing as many people as a world boss because the chances of getting enough people together in time is low.

But maybe they could build on what they did with the Ley Anomaly, Bloodstone Crazed Beasts and some other current events where they have very powerful enemies spawning in semi-random locations on a predictable timer - with a way to find out where they are - and develop something a bit more like a world boss with unique mechanics involved in the fight. That would enable people who want to join in to get there in time but would still have that unpredictable element, and the potential for other people to stumble into a massive fight they didn't know to expect. (Which at least for me was part of the fun of world bosses when I was new - I still remember the first time I saw the Shadow Behemoth over the trees while I was just out looking for the Temples of Ages.)

The thing is, once I got the achievements, I not only don't do the bloodstone things, I /avoid/ them. They take forever, usually don't have enough people, and is there even a reward?

Seems world bosses that spawn randomly would be a lot like this. All depends on the reward, I suppose. Big enough carrot...