Does anyone feel the same?

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > @"Zeike.7469" said:

> > > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> >

> > > >Anet have been very cut off from the community since the recent lay offs.

> > >

> > > Oh really? Because the information about working on legendary runes/sigils, build templates and some other things they mentioned came after the layoffs. They did what any company would do in such a situation, namely release a statement about the current situation and plans for the future, to ease any concerns people would understandably have. And it was all posted right here on the Forum too.

> > >

> > > Besides, is the concept of summer holidays such a rare one that most people haven't heard of it? You won't hear much from them at this point, in this transitional period between S4 and S5. But in a month it will be GW2's 7th anniversary, so you can bet you'll hear from them then. The summer festivals will be done by then as well and with no other annual releases until Halloween I expect at the least to hear from ANet about S5, if they don't just launch episode 1 around that time.

> > >

> > > These knee-jerk emotional reactions (worry, after all, is an emotion) really don't make any sense if you take the bigger picture into account, and the fact that new releases are always a time-consuming factor with a MMO game.

> >

> > It did come after the lay off, I've not disputed that. Nor have I said they were silent, their interactions with the community is what I was referring to. I've worded it carefully. I've also stated this in other posts. They've said they're doing something, which is great. If you read many posts about the sigils etc theres a lot of people offering criticism about it, some constructively others sadly not so.. but none the less there hasn't been a discussion, it's been thrown into the mix and coming out on the 30th with little time for things to be fedback to Anet for them to change, i.e. they don't plan to. Some are valid concerns, this particular issue isn't something I'm interested in.

> >

> > Anet today released an other statement today about the next chapter, which completely came as unexpected to me. I was expecting news at the end of the month. Which we're getting a 45 minute stream to go over it. Thats what I'm looking forward to and excited for, not blanket lines detailing what we're getting with little information. This is what I'm referring to when I say they've been cut off from the community. It feels they have been limiting their interactions with the community is all.

> >

> > As for the lay offs, I have never said I disagreed with their decision, and that seems to be what you're referring to. These things happen all the time, I work in a company where these lay offs are happening right now. Please do not assume I'm criticizing them for the lay offs. I've nothing but for praise for Anet for the world they've built and in all my posts I've never slandered them.

>

> Don't worry. I didn't interpret you criticizing them for the lay offs. If it sounded like that, I'm sorry. And I also didn't expect a presentation of the upcoming Living World right now. On the other hand it's been a little over 2 months since the S4 finale, so it is about the right time for ANet to start talking about it. They didn't even let the release of a full expansion slow down their release schedule, so I don't see why it should suddenly be delayed now. There's nothing at this moment to suggest it will take (considerably) longer this time, except maybe the summer holidays. And I'm hoping we can all agree that ANet employees have the right to go on vacation or take a break as well. ;)

>

> But if there's a certain tone in my post, it's because I've been reading so many posts from people lamenting the lack of communication from devs, some even going so far as to claim we're in a content drought. All I can say is that it seems to me these people weren't around 4 years ago, when the real content drought his GW2. The one before and after HoT is what I'm referring to. When it comes to adding content, those were the darkest days of GW2. And it hasn't even been remotely like that since then. In fact, ANet have hardly done anything different since the lay offs compared to before. I guess yours was the post that finally triggered a response from me. ;)

>

> I guess I just have a different approach to game development of MMO's. First of all, being 42 I'm from a different generation of gamers. I mean, sure it would be great if developers talked to gamers and took feedback before implementing updates. But I hardly feel it is a requisite, no matter how many people seem to demand it. It never used to be this way before and that has always been fine. And ANet doesn't do that either. They release stuff, they let us know a little in advance what's coming, but any feedback they'll take to maybe change their updates is from the actual use of it in game, not the concept they are working on before implementation. They've always done it this way. The fact that other game studios may do it differently doesn't imply ANet is doing it wrong. I'm also patient, which is an absolute requisite when it comes to playing MMO's. Development takes time. It will be months between releases, for any MMO out there. GW2 certainly doesn't have a worse release schedule than most MMO's out there. Could the releases be bigger? Maybe, and I wish they would be. But after playing this game since launch I know ANet's habits and quirks and don't expect that to change.

Without a change of direction the game will be doomed, the current direction has proven to be less than favored within the community and playerbase. Surely you can see that? If A-net truly wants to turn this around they need to do something and bring something new, fresh and otherwise well made to the game... we can't have another PoF fiasco where we are divided. A small fraction? Sure. But raids won't tide or stem the bleeding, nor will fractals, living world or even anything outside of an expansion which would draw attention.

We are the least popular mmo on Twitch, we aren't talked about by anyone note-worthy really anymore. Few people know about guild wars anymore and final fantasy and elder scrolls online are taking the spotlight. Paired with Camelot unchained, Crowfall and ashes of creation coming soon in the coming years the competition will only get steeper as time goes on. They either wish to compete or they wish to recede and fade; That is how it works and life is all about survival of the fittest when it comes to entertainment and games. A-net must do something ~ Or risk further decline which would not be in the companies or the games best interest.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> Without a change of direction the game will be doomed, the current direction has proven to be less than favored within the community and playerbase. Surely you can see that? If A-net truly wants to turn this around they need to do something and bring something new, fresh and otherwise well made to the game... we can't have another PoF fiasco where we are divided. A small fraction? Sure. But raids won't tide or stem the bleeding, nor will fractals, living world or even anything outside of an expansion which would draw attention.

>

> We are the least popular mmo on Twitch, we aren't talked about by anyone note-worthy really anymore. Few people know about guild wars anymore and final fantasy and elder scrolls online are taking the spotlight. Paired with Camelot unchained, Crowfall and ashes of creation coming soon in the coming years the competition will only get steeper as time goes on. They either wish to compete or they wish to recede and fade; That is how it works and life is all about survival of the fittest when it comes to entertainment and games. A-net must do something ~ Or risk further decline which would not be in the companies or the games best interest.

No doubt direction is incredibly important. I had more on this but didn't make much sense, but I agree Direction is important.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I suppose I'm the odd duck; I feel a new Festival is 'proper content', and another coming very soon.

Me too. There are almost too many festivals ha ha Ok... you can never have too many. But we just finished one and a new one starts like next week.

As for the sky is falling... yeah, this game has been dying since before it was released - if forums are to be believed (they are not to be believed). :)

Leaving? No! Every day I’m recruiting 3-5 new players to the guild and helping them as much as I can.

WvW population did drop a bit however, mainly because it’s holidays and there are less experienced commanders online, which presence is the prime reason for an active WvW server.

August 30th we will get huge announcement that will bring back many veteran players as well :)

> @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > @"yann.1946" said:

>

> > The problem is that what we should do to retain players is not that obvious.

> >

> > And they have been doing this using boss rush etc.

>

> Seems fairly simple to me. More content that is accessible and interesting to majority of players, more repeatable content and less spending resources for something with a good chance that we'll do once or twice and never again.

>

As a point of disagreement, its not necessarily the content that is accessible and interesting to majority of players that keeps the most people.

As an example (these are numbers pulled out of my ass to demonstrate a point so bear with them for a sec)

presume their are 100 people playing the game, now presume that their is lots of content for 95 of these people and almost none for the 5

if they make content for the 95 they might keep the 95 and lose the 5 so endtotal is 95 people playing

if they make content for the 5 they might keep the 5 and lose 2-3 people from the 95 because their still is so much content for the 95 left so endtotal is 97-98 people playing

> In my opinion, raids were a mistake. Minority plays them and some of that minority might even just log in for raids and nothing else and often those people don't support the game with money. If they really insisted in raids, they should make them more accessible or rather more appealing, if you prefer, to wider audience. Slapping timer on bosses is one way to "force" meta. All casual guild I've been in (quite plenty) have meta build requirement when it comes to raids. If boss is complex but not complicated, fun mechanics, then that should be enough for enjoyable content. Super hard BS boss doesn't equal a good boss. For those hardcore players that want to push for records and erasing content in seconds, they could add a difficulty mode with timer on it, maybe better rewards and perhaps an achievement for killing a boss with timer.

>

Their are probably also a lot of raiders who do openworld-wvw-pvp and who got hooked on the game using raids and now playing different gamemodes.

Without timers the meta would still exist and the bosses would be almost equally hard

> Dungeons should be a thing. Like updated and new one kinda thing. They are accessible by everyone, no special requirements to join (of course not counting player made requirements, since those will apply to every instanced content and you can also make group to make you own rules), no limiting mechanics like agony resistance, can take any class you want, any time, easy to form group for and organize etc. Even one dungeon per LS season and let's say 3 new per xpac would make a big change and more people would enjoy new content.

>

i can't really speak out on these

> I know they said they are not going to do new map each episode now, but still need to mention it, since we are talking "bad decisions" or "mistakes (imo). Obviously a lot of resources are needed to make a new map. Entire new landscape that you have to populate with npcs, bunch of events, dialogue, various activities, collections and of course if you don't want it dead in a week, also needs decent meta event. That's a lot of time and resources. Therefore when you do a new map, you do it properly, like Dragonfall. Good meta, tons of events, good rewards, promotes lot of ways of traveling but doesn't force you into single one. You can choose if you'll take mushroom, bunny or jackal to go up. Plenty of space for griffon, enough updrafts etc.

>

So they are doing a good job then?

> Living story so far is not convincing me to be worth pursuing further for devs. Yes, season 5 might be different according to what they said, but why did we need 5 season to come to that (if we will, we'll see about that). So far, to me, it doesn't seem like living story brought any substantial content that would really improve game, make it fresh and gave you a reason to play more than those few days after episode drops. Expansion would have bigger impact. Both expansions brought some big features that we now use in every map and is part of our every day play. Elite specs, mounts and gliding added a lot of "replayability" and value for the money and resources spent. What did LS bring? Two mounts? By far not the same effect as when we first got mounts, since they are more for the collection than really needed to play the game. I haven't bothered getting beetle or Skyscale and I don't feel like I miss a thing. While if I had no mounts, I'd feel like I'm missing big part of the game. Obviously raptor and griffon can cover most of the traveling needs for you. Beetle and Skyscale are just for fun and perhaps a bit of convenience in some parts.

> So, expansion would make bigger, more lasting changes, would hype up more people, even those who might be on a break for long time now and would give Anet money.

>

I agree that expacs would increase the population but that has very little to do with retention, more with a pop injection.

> Gem store. I fully support gem store, of course. They need to earn money. But when you put nearly all skins up there and barely anything in game, that's a problem. People have nothing to work for. They finished episode in 3 days, what now. Content is so sparse, people are hoarding money. There is not much else to do but farm. So people have money and they can straight up buy those skins from gem store and how is that any good? Anet doesn't get any money and player gets a skin immediately, instead of playing the game to earn it. Yeah, ok, they are playing the game when they are farming gold, but that's different. They can farm strictly fractals with their friends non stop or raids, or whatever hot spot atm. If you would put skins in game, you could choose how they are obtained and give players reason to revisit old places or previous maps. Like with Skyscale that makes you go back to all LS4 maps. This makes those maps not so useless anymore and gives them another purpose and repopulates the maps. It's a good feeling when map is not "stuck in the past". A healthy balance between new stuff in gemstore and new stuff in game would be needed.

The question then becomes what is a healthy balance?

> In my opinion, raids were a mistake. Minority plays them and some of that minority might even just log in for raids and nothing else and often those people don't support the game with money.

How do you know those players don't support the game with money?

First, those playing Raids MUST buy the expansions to continue playing Raids and also to acquire the latest elite specs. Meanwhile non-raiders can stay farming SW all day and not bother.

Second, Raiders are vain creatures and buy new shinnies to show off, therefore they buy a lot from the gem store. Given how there is only a minority within the raiding community that finishes all wings on Monday, or does raid selling. The majority of Raid groups, statics mostly, finish 1 or 2 wings per evening, Raiders aren't making money. And, if they also train others for their guilds, they can actually lose money by raiding.

If anything, those that don't support the game with money are the open world farmers that follow timers, kill world bosses, complete lots of meta events in a row, press 1 on their keyboard and earn enough gold to buy everything they'll ever need. They make tons of gold more than the typical raider.

> @"yann.1946" said:

> As a point of disagreement, its not necessarily the content that is accessible and interesting to majority of players that keeps the most people.

>

> As an example (these are numbers pulled out of my kitten to demonstrate a point so bear with them for a sec)

>

> presume their are 100 people playing the game, now presume that their is lots of content for 95 of these people and almost none for the 5

>

> if they make content for the 95 they might keep the 95 and lose the 5 so endtotal is 95 people playing

>

> if they make content for the 5 they might keep the 5 and lose 2-3 people from the 95 because their still is so much content for the 95 left so endtotal is 97-98 people playing

If only 5% of you total friend list and guild stops playing over 2 years, because of the lack of content, I very much envy you. Your case assumes there is much to do for those 95, but that's exactly what we are discussing here to be a problem. Game is lacking content, and much of the content it gets, is designed for minority or it is designed to not have a great replayability. Designing content for 95 people have more chance to keep more people than designing content for 5 people.

> Their are probably also a lot of raiders who do openworld-wvw-pvp and who got hooked on the game using raids and now playing different gamemodes.

There might be. But there are also a lot of those who have done everything they wanted to do and now they just log in for raids, because that's the end game for them, hardest content and only thing worth their time.

> Without timers the meta would still exist and the bosses would be almost equally hard

Meta always exist no matter what, so that is not an argument really. Point I'm making is, by removing the timer, you make content more accessible, because it's not so limited and some people don't want to smack golems to perfect their rotation, people who don't want to have copy paste same build as every other warrior, people who can't bother or don't have time to go through nightmare to organize 10-man party every week, because some people can't reliably join every time (because real life) and then you have to replace them with someone and teach that someone from start and that someone has to gets their gear and build checked and practice rotation as well etc. Without timer, people can spend however long they want at the boss and if they are decently skilled and can figure out mechanics and how to survive, they can kill a boss at their own pace. Of course, I'd keep a timer based difficulty mode with better rewards for those that want that, like I already mentioned.

> So they are doing a good job then?

Uh, like I said, we'll have to actually wait and see when S5 comes. They said many things, not all of them turned as good as it sounded, or some haven't arrived at all.

> I agree that expacs would increase the population but that has very little to do with retention, more with a pop injection.

Oh, it does have to do with it. Without expansions that we got, I would stop playing long ago and LS wouldn't be able to bring me back. Features from expansions gave us a lot of "replayability" or "hours of fun". That alone keeps player in for longer, thus keeping population from dropping as fast.

> The question then becomes what is a healthy balance?

That's their job to figure out, not mine. I'm just expressing my opinion on it and the way I see this problem. Of course, I might be even wrong. They are maybe earning more money this way, but is it sustainable over longer period of time? I don't know.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > In my opinion, raids were a mistake. Minority plays them and some of that minority might even just log in for raids and nothing else and often those people don't support the game with money.

>

> How do you know those players don't support the game with money?

> First, those playing Raids MUST buy the expansions to continue playing Raids and also to acquire the latest elite specs. Meanwhile non-raiders can stay farming SW all day and not bother.

> Second, Raiders are vain creatures and buy new shinnies to show off, therefore they buy a lot from the gem store. Given how there is only a minority within the raiding community that finishes all wings on Monday, or does raid selling. The majority of Raid groups, statics mostly, finish 1 or 2 wings per evening, Raiders aren't making money. And, if they also train others for their guilds, they can actually lose money by raiding.

>

> If anything, those that don't support the game with money are the open world farmers that follow timers, kill world bosses, complete lots of meta events in a row, press 1 on their keyboard and earn enough gold to buy everything they'll ever need. They make tons of gold more than the typical raider.

Gotta love how every time you quote me in any topic, you always come with same argument. "How do you know this and this" Well, how do YOU know things that you are saying. How do YOU know open world players do and don't do things you just mentioned? How do you come to conclusion raiders are these creatures who want to show off, but open world players aren't? Somehow you are getting all this info from somewhere that I'm not. You ask me how do I know stuff, then proceed to put some very specific info about some stuff without any proof yourself.

Of course I'm not saying my info is 100% correct, but we can do some logical assumptions combined with talking with those players and arrive to some conclusions. I know of many people who only log in for raids and don't really care for the rest of the game, so they don't want to pay money to support it. They view open world as boring and not worth their time, since raids are most challenging part of the game, so if they beat that, all the rest is not worth doing. Yes, they buy expansion, because they want new raid, but how much they support game otherwise? Depends. Open world players support game even by just playing and making all zones alive and willingly or not giving support to other players doing same content, making game feeling more alive and kicking. And game that feels alive and kicking gives everyone more reason and better feeling that supporting the game with money is a good cause. Raids are done by minority and even that minority is dived into groups who won't take new players or unexperienced, groups who raids only with their guild etc..

Obviously, there are people who do both, raids and pve. But no matter how you look at it, raids are quite limited and played by minority, so not a best investment in game that generally lacks content. If we also would be having new dungeons at the same time for example, then sure, if you have extra resources, go for raids. But, you have limited resources, content is sparse, and you decide to make more content that most people don't care about?

Yes, they said no more raids for now, so we'll see what S5 brings.

> > @"yann.1946" said:

>

> > As a point of disagreement, its not necessarily the content that is accessible and interesting to majority of players that keeps the most people.

> >

> > As an example (these are numbers pulled out of my kitten to demonstrate a point so bear with them for a sec)

> >

> > presume their are 100 people playing the game, now presume that their is lots of content for 95 of these people and almost none for the 5

> >

> > if they make content for the 95 they might keep the 95 and lose the 5 so endtotal is 95 people playing

> >

> > if they make content for the 5 they might keep the 5 and lose 2-3 people from the 95 because their still is so much content for the 95 left so endtotal is 97-98 people playing

> If only 5% of you total friend list and guild stops playing over 2 years, because of the lack of content, I very much envy you. Your case assumes there is much to do for those 95, but that's exactly what we are discussing here to be a problem. Game is lacking content, and much of the content it gets, is designed for minority or it is designed to not have a great replayability. Designing content for 95 people have more chance to keep more people than designing content for 5 people.

>

I was merely pointing out that its not that simple as making something for the mayority.

For all we know the ls is enough content to fill 3 months for 80 percent of the community.

We should realise that it a way bigger percentage of people on friendlists are hardcore players. Its an interesting study showing that its likely that your friends have more friends then you. :)

> > Their are probably also a lot of raiders who do openworld-wvw-pvp and who got hooked on the game using raids and now playing different gamemodes.

> There might be. But there are also a lot of those who have done everything they wanted to do and now they just log in for raids, because that's the end game for them, hardest content and only thing worth their time.

Sure, but if we talk about the impact (positive or negative) we should account for both , and the rippleeffect the first group causes.

> > Without timers the meta would still exist and the bosses would be almost equally hard

> Meta always exist no matter what, so that is not an argument really. Point I'm making is, by removing the timer, you make content more accessible, because it's not so limited and some people don't want to smack golems to perfect their rotation, people who don't want to have copy paste same build as every other warrior, people who can't bother or don't have time to go through nightmare to organize 10-man party every week, because some people can't reliably join every time (because real life) and then you have to replace them with someone and teach that someone from start and that someone has to gets their gear and build checked and practice rotation as well etc. Without timer, people can spend however long they want at the boss and if they are decently skilled and can figure out mechanics and how to survive, they can kill a boss at their own pace. Of course, I'd keep a timer based difficulty mode with better rewards for those that want that, like I already mentioned.

Their is good reason to believe that groups would wipe before the enrage timer becomes a problem regardless. That is atleast what a lot of trainingraids haave shown.

> > So they are doing a good job then?

> Uh, like I said, we'll have to actually wait and see when S5 comes. They said many things, not all of them turned as good as it sounded, or some haven't arrived at all.

>

> > I agree that expacs would increase the population but that has very little to do with retention, more with a pop injection.

> Oh, it does have to do with it. Without expansions that we got, I would stop playing long ago and LS wouldn't be able to bring me back. Features from expansions gave us a lot of "replayability" or "hours of fun". That alone keeps player in for longer, thus keeping population from dropping as fast.

>

LIke i said that has more to do with pulling people back into the game (even if they haven't left yet.)

They are important to happen, i agree.

> > The question then becomes what is a healthy balance?

> That's their job to figure out, not mine. I'm just expressing my opinion on it and the way I see this problem. Of course, I might be even wrong. They are maybe earning more money this way, but is it sustainable over longer period of time? I don't know.

>

> Gotta love how every time you quote me in any topic, you always come with same argument. "How do you know this and this" Well, how do YOU know things that you are saying. How do YOU know open world players do and don't do things you just mentioned?

I simply corrected your mistake. You made a claim that "Those players don't support the game with money". I gave you why they do, and it's other players that don't. It's up to you to back up your claims, I backed mine with logic, you back it with "I've talked to people".

> Open world players support game even by just playing and making all zones alive and willingly or not giving support to other players doing same content, making game feeling more alive and kicking.

You don't need 100s of players to help players do the content. Further, you said supporting the game with money, re-read your post and don't change the topic.

> @"Cronospere.8143" said:

> > @"fewfield.7802" said:

> > I am feeling like everyone around is quitting the game, esp wvw players.

> >

> > Does anyone feel the same?

>

> Daily stupid 'the game is dying' posts like these every time. People getting paid to post al this negativity or something?

>

You're confusing shilling with people being generally unhappy that the game they WANT to love and play, is losing players and when you lose players in an MMO, you lose the thing that makes it special: A thriving community.

> > Gotta love how every time you quote me in any topic, you always come with same argument. "How do you know this and this" Well, how do YOU know things that you are saying. How do YOU know open world players do and don't do things you just mentioned?

>

> I simply corrected your mistake. You made a claim that "Those players don't support the game with money". I gave you why they do, and it's other players that don't. It's up to you to back up your claims, I backed mine with logic, you back it with "I've talked to people".

>

> > Open world players support game even by just playing and making all zones alive and willingly or not giving support to other players doing same content, making game feeling more alive and kicking.

I clearly said in my opinion. Pretty much first thing I said when I proceed to then explain why I think so.

Corrected me? So you have 100% correct info and can correct me, while I have to provide proof? You have 100% correct info to correct my opinion. Awesome, mate. And how did you come to this 100% correct info? Please do provide irrefutable proof of that. I'm at least reasonable to acknowledge the fact that this is my opinion and I don't have 100% correct info on everything, but closest to why I can provide in experience from talking with other players and reading others about others experience. You, however, came, not to share your opinion and say "I disagree, he is why"... No you came to correct me. Please, go ahead and provide proof that ALL those people you are talking about in your post (raiders) who shared their experience on forum and I can provide you more from in game, of them spending money to support the game. Please, I'd like to see this proof. And while at it, also I'll need that proof about open world players.

You demand proof, while you know very well, this is a forum and people come here to share their experience and discuss. Very rarely there will be a discussion about something, that we as players can give proof for. We simply don't have tools and data to provide. What we can do is share our experience and our feedback and then it's up to Anet to decide what to do with it. And that's what I'm doing, sharing my opinion, as I clearly stated in my post. If you disagree, that's ok, but no need to proceed and "correct me" with your own info on which you have no proof of, but you got "logic". LOL. Somehow all people I've been talking to and read their experience on forums is all lies and false, because your logic is solid and that is correct.

> You don't need 100s of players to help players do the content. Further, you said supporting the game with money, re-read your post and don't change the topic.

Quoting myself:

>Open world players support game even by just playing and making all zones alive and willingly or not giving support to other players doing same content, making game feeling more alive and kicking. And game that feels alive and kicking gives everyone more reason and better feeling that supporting the game with money is a good cause.

> > In my opinion, raids were a mistake. Minority plays them and some of that minority might even just log in for raids and nothing else and often those people don't support the game with money.

>

> How do you know those players don't support the game with money?

> First, those playing Raids MUST buy the expansions to continue playing Raids and also to acquire the latest elite specs. Meanwhile non-raiders can stay farming SW all day and not bother.

> Second, Raiders are vain creatures and buy new shinnies to show off, therefore they buy a lot from the gem store. Given how there is only a minority within the raiding community that finishes all wings on Monday, or does raid selling. The majority of Raid groups, statics mostly, finish 1 or 2 wings per evening, Raiders aren't making money. And, if they also train others for their guilds, they can actually lose money by raiding.

>

> If anything, those that don't support the game with money are the open world farmers that follow timers, kill world bosses, complete lots of meta events in a row, press 1 on their keyboard and earn enough gold to buy everything they'll ever need. They make tons of gold more than the typical raider.

You are wrong on so many levels

First of:

Raiders are more accustomed to grind and less likely to fall prone to instant gratification offers on gem store.

Second:

For every raider out there, there are 100 casual players that also want to look good, but don’t have enough time to do raids, because usually they are busy people that have jobs and other responsibilities. Again, they want to have good looking characters and they can accomplish this by spending their money on skins, outfits and converting gems, so they don’t waste their time on hardcore farming.

To visualize this I’ll give you me as an example:

I can farm in game for an hour and get 20-40 gold in that time or work for an hour from my home and get 1600 gems for the same amount of time (around 350-400 gold iirc) and have enough money left to also buy 4 cans of beers. This is on top of my regular 8 hours daily work.

I only did few raids out of curiosity, even though I play since release. There were some months were I was spending 100 euro on the game and I’m casual.

Look, I’m not saying raiders are spending less, but you don’t need any data to see that if for every 5 raiders there is 100 casuals and 4 out of 5 raiders are buying gems and only 20% of casuals are spending their money on gems, then raiders won’t be their main target group. **ANet needs raiders however, so that casuals with less time to play can aspire to look just as good and pay for gems to accomplish this. This is the carrot and the stick.**

> @"Omernon.9762" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > How do you know those players don't support the game with money?

> > First, those playing Raids MUST buy the expansions to continue playing Raids and also to acquire the latest elite specs. Meanwhile non-raiders can stay farming SW all day and not bother.

> > Second, Raiders are vain creatures and buy new shinnies to show off, therefore they buy a lot from the gem store. Given how there is only a minority within the raiding community that finishes all wings on Monday, or does raid selling. The majority of Raid groups, statics mostly, finish 1 or 2 wings per evening, Raiders aren't making money. And, if they also train others for their guilds, they can actually lose money by raiding.

> >

> > If anything, those that don't support the game with money are the open world farmers that follow timers, kill world bosses, complete lots of meta events in a row, press 1 on their keyboard and earn enough gold to buy everything they'll ever need. They make tons of gold more than the typical raider.

>

> You are wrong on so many levels

I'm actually not wrong on any level.

> Raiders are more accustomed to grind and less likely to fall prone to instant gratification offers on gem store.

This is wrong. Now let's move on.

> For every raider out there, there are 100 casual players that also want to look good, but don’t have enough time to do raids, because usually they are busy people that have jobs and other responsibilities. Again, they want to have good looking characters and they can accomplish this by spending their money on skins, outfits and converting gems, so they don’t waste their time on hardcore farming.

Why do they need to time to do Raids? Raids aren't a good source of income., therefore your entire argument falls flat.

> Look, I’m not saying raiders are spending less, but you don’t need any data to see that if for every 5 raiders there is 100 casuals and 4 out of 5 raiders are buying gems and only 20% of casuals are spending their money on gems, then raiders won’t be their main target group.

I want to see your data that for every 5 raiders there is 100 casuals.

> I clearly said in my opinion. Pretty much first thing I said when I proceed to then explain why I think so.

I corrected your opinion because it is factually wrong.

> Corrected me? So you have 100% correct info and can correct me, while I have to provide proof?

I gave more than enough proof.

I can repeat it if you want, with some further explanations.

1) Raiders need to buy expansions, so they must support the game with money in order to play their content of choice

2) Raiders buy items from the gem store all the time.

3) Raiders don't make lots of money, this is a myth.

Point 1 is self explanatory I hope.

As for Point 2

> but we can do some logical assumptions combined with talking with those players and arrive to some conclusions. I know of many people who only log in for raids and don't really care for the rest of the game, so they don't want to pay money to support it.

I'm confused, do these people not buy anything from the gem store? A stroll around the Aerodrome or a simple Raid run can show that "Raiders" are decked full with gem store cosmetics. I find it hard to believe that you know so many people that only care about Raids and never buy items from the gem store.

As for Point 3

The income of an actual raider is rather low, the groups that do full clears and sell raids are very limited. In order to sell a boss, you must first beat it, for obvious reasons. Then you must get so good at it that you must beat it with lower number of players. A good indicator is killing the boss in Challenge Mode:

Number of players that killed Dhuum in CM is 2%

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=Death%20Eater&filter.category=195

Meanwhile, the average raider struggles even in killing Soulless Horror in normal mode, at 10%:

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=The%20Ferrywoman&filter.category=195

This means that the number of Raiders that are comfortable with their skill level in Hall of Chains is at best 1/5th (probably lower due to selling, guilds dissolving and so on) of the players that play the content. The rest aren't rich raiders because they aren't selling and they haven't reached that high level of skill that would make them beat the content quickly, in one evening.

The number of Raiders capable of such a feat is low, even among the, already limited, raid population, so saying that Raiders are in any way rich is wrong. A subset is, but doesn't apply to raiders as a whole.

In order to support point number 2, since they don't make enough money, from point 3, they need to pay with cash. Therefore, they support the game with money.

Regardless if raiders are rich or not, there is far less raiders than casual players that mostly don’t even know that gw2eff exists and they buy expansions as well, because that’s where the most of the content is.

Don’t misinterpret casuals as core-only players. There is so many people that do all kinds of contents without dedicating to just one type, because that’s the design of GW2.

Also I didn’t said that raiders are not buying anything. They might be spending more money than me on this game, but the fact is - there is way more players that don’t do raids than those that are. This is why ANet is so slow when it comes to new raid/wings releases.

> @"Omernon.9762" said:

> Also I didn’t said that raiders are not buying anything. They might be spending more money than me on this game, but the fact is - there is way more players that don’t do raids than those that are. This is why ANet is so slow when it comes to new raid/wings releases.

There are other threads about the slow release of Raids and how many play them. I simply responded to someone claiming that raiders don't support the game with money. Nothing more.

> I corrected your opinion because it is factually wrong.

You "corrected" it with your own opinion. Raiders like shinies is not a fact nor proof, sorry to disappoint you.

> I gave more than enough proof.

> I can repeat it if you want, with some further explanations.

> 1) Raiders need to buy expansions, so they must support the game with money in order to play their content of choice

Yes, they bought a freaking expansion that brings a lot of things to the game, including new elite specs. Everyone who wants to play the game will want to buy that sooner than later. But after that, who is more inclined to further support Anet, not because they need access to something they otherwise can't get, like elite specs and raids, but purely out of support for devs or game? So buying games to buy skin or whatever.

> 2) Raiders buy items from the gem store all the time.

Is this how you provide proof. "Your honor, I said they are buying, so they are buying. 100% true story!"

> 3) Raiders don't make lots of money, this is a myth.

Again. Not proof.

> I'm confused, do these people not buy anything from the gem store? A stroll around the Aerodrome or a simple Raid run can show that "Raiders" are decked full with gem store cosmetics. I find it hard to believe that you know so many people that only care about Raids and never buy items from the gem store.

You are aware gem store things can be bought with gold, right?

> The income of an actual raider is rather low, the groups that do full clears and sell raids are very limited. In order to sell a boss, you must first beat it, for obvious reasons. Then you must get so good at it that you must beat it with lower number of players. A good indicator is killing the boss in Challenge Mode:

> Number of players that killed Dhuum in CM is 2%

> https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=Death%20Eater&filter.category=195

> Meanwhile, the average raider struggles even in killing Soulless Horror in normal mode, at 10%:

> https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.search=The%20Ferrywoman&filter.category=195

> This means that the number of Raiders that are comfortable with their skill level in Hall of Chains is at best 1/5th (probably lower due to selling, guilds dissolving and so on) of the players that play the content. The rest aren't rich raiders because they aren't selling and they haven't reached that high level of skill that would make them beat the content quickly, in one evening.

> The number of Raiders capable of such a feat is low, even among the, already limited, raid population, so saying that Raiders are in any way rich is wrong.

> In order to support point number 2, since they don't make enough money, from point 3, they need to pay with cash. Therefore, they support the game with money.

They can also earn money by tp flipping, daily rewards, maybe they pvp (another group not likely to spend a lot of money) etc. Besides, I already said plenty of time, I never said 100% all of the raiders only raid. Some of them obviously do pve as well. So, how do you know you are not seeing those in Aerodrome with their shinies from gemstore and that they haven't bought it with gold? And just because you see them in Aerodrome, doesn't mean they are raiders. Bunch of people come there for golem or just to afk around. I see my friends and guildies in there and they haven't touched the raids yet at all.

Let me break it down for you - my first two sentences when I was talking about raids.

> In my opinion, raids were a mistake. Minority plays them and some of that minority might even just log in for raids and nothing else and often those people don't support the game with money.

See key words? **in my opinion**, **some of that minority**, **might**, **often**.

Could I possibly made this even more clear that I'm not talking about all raiders? General point is, raiding community is minority and even that minority splits and AMONG those splitted groups, there are some that only raid and it's fair to assume such people wouldn't not feel strong about spending money on a game, especially at this point.

Ask yourself this. Anet announces a little expansion and main feature of that is new raids. Now in alternate universe, Anet announces expansion with new dungeons as main feature. Which expansion would you think would sell more and make game feel more alive in general?

Lastly, take you data and realise how minor raiding community is and then ask yourself, how much of an investment are raids? How much resources spend vs how much money gained. Not that impressive, imo, especially in a game with lack of content.

> @"fewfield.7802" said:

> I am feeling like everyone around is quitting the game, esp wvw players.

>

> Does anyone feel the same?

Update; had new players quit on wednesday-27 quit. Their main complain is the amount of damages and being instantly killed.

They were very frustrated more instead of having fun.

To make a long story short; their comments 'Guild Wars 2 is a number game, the one with the higher numbers Win'

Anyways; few of the guild players tried to encourage them to stay but they refused to-we clearly understood and agreed with them.

Obviously even after the recent 'balance' patch; nothing changed to increase Fun and healthy competition even to new newcomers and curious players..

One of them even called Guild Wars 2 an "A Elitist Game'-'If You Do Not Do High Numbers, You Do Not Belong"?

Quitting is not a feeling, it's a reality. These new players were pvp and wvw players. They were looking for a game that is fun with the majority of healthy competitiveness. They did not find it. Instead they were punished for it.

They felt force to 'be part of the meta' or be punished for it. That is not a feeling or an experience any game companies would want to leave to newcomers or to any curious players in playing their games.

**Guild Wars 2 have a 7 years of reputation of doing just that and continually doing so without any care whatsoever**

In fact just yesterday; there are talks about some commanders taking long breaks including long time players away from the game. It is the same feeling, same reality, same routines, same everything. Repetitive Power-Creeps, Condition-Creeps. Sustain-Creeps, Bunker-Creeps, with same Bad Designs (stealth, +1 shots)--in fact these Bad Designs worsen with 'Balance' patches.

Anyhow, that is Guild Wars 2 in a nutshell

Like one of the new players who quit said, **'To be like them or just quit'**

that is sad!!

Thanks for reading

--have a nice day--

The wvw crowd is definitely thinning , when you talk to those guys in the big wvw discord channels there is a lot of pessimism about the future. They dont see things changing so many are cutting out, if things change they will be back. But its def taking its toll on the wvw population. We dont have near the numbers we had a few months ago across the discord channels, and on the maps.

Lots of them voice they are frustrated with things that were supposed to happen and didnt. Then there is the fact that all content becomes old and stale after a while, thats why you need to change it up to keep peoples interest.

> @"Ototo.3214" said:

> I don't plan on quitting. I've gone on a number of hiatuses from the game to play other things that happen to steal my attention for a bit, but I always end up back at GW2. Besides, I don't particularly want any of the doom and gloom Negative Nancys around anyway. If they want to leave, it's fine by me. A lot of my friends may not play anymore but I still talk to them through other means and it's entirely possible they may come back to GW2 at some point to catch up on things. That's how the game is for some people, since it allows people to come back after long breaks and jump right into what they want to catch up on.

hope to see you back on in the future brother

We just came off two festivals that must have pulled very many players from all areas of the game, for a long time, based on how every map I saw was packed, regardless of the time. Festivals can require a lot of us to commit more time to the game than usual to gain the achievements and awards. I bet some get burned out temporarily. I have wondered in the past where everyone was, only to find them doing things in parts of the game I don't play much because of some current incentive there.

Have you checked to see if all the different parts of this huge game are loosing players, on all the servers? Sometimes large groups of WvW players move from one server to another and It's pretty obvious they left, er, moved.

it's a natural cycle of MMOs, people come in to try something new, and if they find it is able to retain their attention they will remain until it loses their attention, and they move on

even long time dedicated hardcore players will eventually leave either they felt i have ran out of things that can motivate them to continue to play, or due to personal reasons

with PvE population, the recent wb rush was another success, and anet have pretty much proved extra reward that gives super rare item through rng with a quick 5-10min wb will draw players attention

PvP population... feels like a mess... i felt people left because of how slow the balances are coming, and the nerfs are missing 2/3 of the spots that the pvp communities are dissatisfied with; and there's the issue of rampant bots running around, and match manipulators/throwers

WvW populations, WvW guilds that felt that they are constantly getting the rough end of the stick would move transfer, i can totally understand that, no body wanna be on the losing side; there isn't a lot Anet can to do to enforce anything because it's a player driven contents sandbox, they only thing they can do is place a carrot on a stick to try to entice new players to join