Arn't MOST saga's trilogies?

So if you take the basic concept of what a saga is, i think it ends up in a trilogy in most cases. If thats the case then we have another expansion coming out because most things are done in 3's when it comes to movies etc... Just a thought anyway. However just the fact that they said saga could also mean it goes way past three, because its not a trilogy. It could mean that it goes into earlier years of the game. So for example, they tie it all up and you get the end, then the next expansion is actually what happened before or during or whenever. I think they have plenty to do and as they said they have to finish up the story before they can move on.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> A saga has precisely nothing to do with trilogies whatsoever - that is a Hollywoodisation of the word

>

> Sagas are historically associated with Norse/Viking/Icelandic stories, so it was a natural fit to take a Norn based story arc and call it a saga

Agreed. In general terms a saga is a very long story. The word originally referred to Norse and Germanic historical stories (although the historical accuracy of many of them is debated), it's since been expanded to other types of stories.

One common example is a family saga - stories which span multiple generations of a family - in the sense that the 'first generation' of characters start out as children/young adults and the story covers them growing up and having kids and their kids involvement, not simply a story where multiple generations of a family appear. Star Wars is a saga in that sense because the prequels deal with Anakin Skywalker (and to a lesser extent his mother), the original movies deal with his children, and the newest ones feature his grandson. (And if you go into the Expanded Universe stuff it goes even further.)

In modern terms it's used as pretty much a generic term for "story we want to sound long and epic" which is where you get things like any trilogy getting called a saga. But that's not really accurate.

I suspect that is the meaning here however. Calling it a saga is a way of saying this is supposed to be more than "just" a living world season. What exactly that means is unclear at this point, although the announcement implies they're going back to some of the original Living World ideas with things developing over time and having players revisit locations and even enemies instead of each map being frozen at a point in time. It could also mean it's longer than a typical season, but we don't know yet and likely won't know until much later on (like if/when episode 9 is released).

Although, with the multiple mentions of Braham - son of a Destiny's Edge member - and the talk about Rytlock and his cubs (I think?) - it's possible they're going down the family saga route. Although not in the conventional sense, since a story about children born after the start of the story growing up and taking a lead role doesn't fit with a mortal main character who has to personally witness all these events.

I think they chose to label this as a Saga for no other reason than, as someone else mentioned in another thread, "rebranding." They likely have no plans for the future, and instead of it being a living season, the new living story will just be one extremely long running living story season, that's now called a Saga, so they can change it up how they see fit. They want to be able to change it from the expected format of a new map and story, to, sometimes something added to a map and story driven, to minor story progression with focuses on quality of life updates.

Whether that means less frequent updates pushed into one to seem more robust, or more frequent updates to keep the game feeling more alive and people logging in for purchasing gem store items, who knows.

But I would say this is probably just a way to rebrand living story into a way to space it out more, minimize expectations, and push the game one step closer to maintenance mode.

> @"JpDelano.2580" said:

> Arn't MOST saga's trilogies?

Are you serious? =)

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Sagas are historically associated with Norse/Viking/Icelandic stories, so it was a natural fit to take a Norn based story arc and call it a saga

Well, sagas can be anything that's a continues story of epic scale, and - as you stated correctly - its length is not defined by the word.

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> I think they chose to label this as a Saga for no other reason than, as someone else mentioned in another thread, "rebranding." They likely have no plans for the future, and instead of it being a living season, the new living story will just be one extremely long running living story season, that's now called a Saga, so they can change it up how they see fit. They want to be able to change it from the expected format of a new map and story, to, sometimes something added to a map and story driven, to minor story progression with focuses on quality of life updates.

>

> Whether that means less frequent updates pushed into one to seem more robust, or more frequent updates to keep the game feeling more alive and people logging in for purchasing gem store items, who knows.

>

> But I would say this is probably just a way to rebrand living story into a way to space it out more, minimize expectations, and push the game one step closer to maintenance mode.

I'm hoping it means a return of more maps like Dry Top. When it first came out, a lot of the area was locked, and it felt rather small. A few weeks later, the town we found there, was suddenly overtaken by Mordremoth's vines and more of the region was unlocked. The same thing happened again, I believe twice more. The map itself changed as well in a few ways. Something like that would be fun to see again, or even gigantic map changes like what happened way back in Season 1 with Kessex Hills, Lornar's Pass, and Lion's Arch, albeit restricted to the newer maps.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"JpDelano.2580" said:

> > Arn't MOST saga's trilogies?

>

> Are you serious? =)

>

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Sagas are historically associated with Norse/Viking/Icelandic stories, so it was a natural fit to take a Norn based story arc and call it a saga

>

> Well, sagas can be anything that's a continues story of epic scale, and - as you stated correctly - its length is not defined by the word.

These days it was grown into that, but they are originally and specifically sweeping Nordic stories. The word saga even originated from them if memory serves

I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the term saga about rebranding the seasons here-in and so forth. Not watching the stream, is this an actual change or just a matching name for this particular story given the theme?

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the term saga about rebranding the seasons here-in and so forth. Not watching the stream, is this an actual change or just a matching name for this particular story given the theme?

Before the announcement and early on in the stream they said they were announcing Season 5. At the end of the trailer it showed the name The Icebrood Saga. Then the announcer guy did one of those obviously pre-planned fake tangents where he called attention to the word saga and said he really wanted to know why they called it that (conveniently just after they'd brought out two of the narrative writers to discuss exactly that) and they said (paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact wording) that they wanted to move away from calling them seasons because they want to make this one bigger in scope, covering different types of content and re-visiting maps instead of each episode being distinct and players doing it once and then potentially never going back.

To me it sounds like a return to what they did during Season 1 and 2, with stories taking place in existing maps and maybe changing those maps in some way and possibly with things like new WvW releases being included in the story (like when Edge of the Mists was released and the Living Story sent us there to help Taimi and Braham). So less of a set formula and they want to make a big deal out of it so players aren't surprised and disappointed when we don't get the formulaic new episode = new map + story set almost entirely on that map + achievements entirely for that map releases.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> is this an actual change or just a matching name for this particular story given the theme?

I think it's just the name of Season 5 being "The icebrood Saga".

Whatever the guy on stage tried to do with the word was just the same as renting the place and creating the 38 hours countdown:

Trying to create hype over basically nothing.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> These days it was grown into that, but they are originally and specifically sweeping Nordic stories. The word saga even originated from them if memory serves

(thumbs up)

> I think a lot of people are getting hung up on the term saga about rebranding the seasons here-in and so forth. Not watching the stream, is this an actual change or just a matching name for this particular story given the theme?

I believe it's just a new name being chosen to underline the changes of upcoming LW seasons. They will be different in some way from what we know, I suppose, so it makes sense. :) Also, it sounds more dramatic and epic. ;)

Well what i was getting at is this. If you play it out what sounds more plausible?

1) The next series or saga has 10 episodes. Expansion comes out.. After about 4 years ish, GW3 is released

2) They keep making saga's for the next 5-10 years, update the maps, features, etc.. GW3 releases

1) So keeping with the basic concept of player acquisition, you have to build up your players in GW2 to move them to GW3?

2) So keeping with the basic concept of player acquisition, you have to add new features like strikes to keep the saga continuing in GW2?

1) Keeping the understanding that they like the community they have they want to keep the veteran players in GW2 then go to GW3?

2) Keeping the understanding that they like the community they have they want to keep the veteran players in GW2 by continuing the sagas

1) We just wanted to wrap things up and say thanks, and the next expansion begins followed by GW3

2) We just wanted to wrap things up and say thanks, the next saga starts in a place called....

So sometimes its kind of cool to step back and take a look and throw a good guess out. What would yours be?