Gem subscription???

A lot of people seem to talk about how ArenaNet are just out to make money from Gems... (which they obviously are). Just wondering why they don't offer a low cost 'Gem Subscription' rather than a Game subscription. Could maybe offer a 10% bonus in Gems if you sign up for 12 months @ say £10/month???

I'm sure this idea will get totally slated but... just thought I'd throw it out there!

> @"Garathorn the Brave.3162" said:

> A lot of people seem to talk about how ArenaNet are just out to make money from Gems... (which they obviously are). Just wondering why they don't offer a low cost 'Gem Subscription' rather than a Game subscription. Could maybe offer a 10% bonus in Gems if you sign up for 12 months @ say £10/month???

>

> I'm sure this idea will get totally slated but... just thought I'd throw it out there!

I saw this idea being suggested a few times in the forum already and i don't think it is bad at all but i just can't see myself geting this kind of subscription. If i want to buy something in gemstore and i have money to do so i would rather get some insta gems and buy it instead of wait a monthly gems delivery that may or not come in the time of need. That would be the major problem actually, things get in and out of gemstore very frequently and if you are getting gems exclusively from this subscription you may lose stuff you want from gemstore (of course anet could change the market to always have promotions when the delivery comes, but then that would possibly impact negatively the gems market at all).

> @"Hynax.9536" said:

> > @"Garathorn the Brave.3162" said:

> > A lot of people seem to talk about how ArenaNet are just out to make money from Gems... (which they obviously are). Just wondering why they don't offer a low cost 'Gem Subscription' rather than a Game subscription. Could maybe offer a 10% bonus in Gems if you sign up for 12 months @ say £10/month???

> >

> > I'm sure this idea will get totally slated but... just thought I'd throw it out there!

>

> I saw this idea being suggested a few times in the forum already ...........

Yep this topic already has the 'Been There, Done That' achievement. No need to revisit.

Anet seem to have decided they want all gems bought with cash to cost the same. They don't offer a discount for buying more gems at once and have never sold them at a discounted price. Some people have said it's because of the gold/gem exchange but I'm not clear on how exactly that affects it, since the conversion rate changes all the time anyway based on the number of transactions happening.

But whatever their reasons it's unlikely they'd offer a discount for buying gems regularly when they've never offered any other kind of discount.

(I don't mind too much because it makes it easy for me, because gems always cost the same it's easy to work out what any item will cost in real money and it means there's no pressure to buy the bigger bundles if I don't want that many now.)

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Anet seem to have decided they want all gems bought with cash to cost the same.

> (snip)

> gems always cost the same it's easy to work out what any item will cost in real money and it means there's no pressure to buy the bigger bundles if I don't want that many now.

This right here. Every gem bought with real money is worth the same. Nobody is lured into spending more than they need by the temptation of "getting more gems for money". Nobody is priviliged with extra loot/unlocks/prestige/whatever because they decide to spend their money in an arbitrarily decided pattern over somebody else spending the exact same amount of money in a different pattern.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Some people have said it's because of the gold/gem exchange but I'm not clear on how exactly that affects it, since the conversion rate changes all the time anyway based on the number of transactions happening.

The conversion rate changes due to supply and demand, not the number of transactions per se. If 1000 people sell 800 gems, the rate drops; if 1000 buy 800, the rate goes up.

Two things happen if ANet sells discounted gems:

* Some people (such as myself), would only ever buy gems when discounted, meaning sales go down the rest of the year.

* The supply & demand of gems are no longer strictly organic; it's affected by whether there's an external discount. (In effect, it's like printing more money.)

Neither of these is strictly negative; it depends on a broader context of what ANet is trying to achieve with the exchange. ANet wants the exchange to feel fair, to be driven by market forces, and to undermine RMT (real money trading) by offering competitive official rates. Under these circumstances, a periodic discount undermines their goals.