Why i can't get gem refund if i bought the game 20 days ago from an official retailer?

SeikeNz.3526

> @"Seera.5916" said:

> > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > > > easy to explain and understand: your contractual partner is not anet, but the retailer.

> > > > well not really, im playing on anet servers not retailers servers, i bought the game from a retailer but the money was send to anet in a way or another, i just bought it from the retailer because i don't have a international card, if i bought it from gold in game i could have get a refund, that's does not make sense

> > >

> > > You bought it from a retailer, who bought it from Anet.

> > > Since it was retailer who originally bought the game and paid Anet money, Anet could only refund it to them, because anet has no legal bounds with you.

> > > Refund means, a product being given back as well as the money paid for the product.

> > > You would have to speak with a retailer if you want a refund, not with anet.

> >

> > the problem is, the servers belong to anet, that's a online game, so i have to pay to enter on anet servers, so even if i bought from a retailer, the game belongs to anet

>

> Yes, the server is ANet's. No one's saying that you're playing on the retailer's server.

>

> But that's not who you bought the serial code from. You bought it from the third party retailer.

>

> It's like food from a grocery store. Let's say you bought a damaged box of Kraft Mac & Cheese. You wouldn't go to Kraft to get a refund or exchange right? You'd go to your grocery store to do so. Yes, it's Kraft's product, but you didn't buy it directly from them.

>

> Same principle here. Since you bought the game from the third party retailer and not from ANet directly, you have to go through the third party retailer for any refunds or exchanges.

we can't compare physical things to a "online" thing, if i ask for the retailer for refund will anet refund the retailers? will the retailers refund me? i don't think so

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> Only anet can answer your question, but i will warn you if they start looking into it and it turns out its a stolen game/code w/e you will lose access to it. So think very hard about where you bought it from before you go that route. No company likes having their property misused or stolen.

i don't worry about that because i bought it from a retailer that they announce at their own site

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > > > > easy to explain and understand: your contractual partner is not anet, but the retailer.

> > > > > well not really, im playing on anet servers not retailers servers, i bought the game from a retailer but the money was send to anet in a way or another, i just bought it from the retailer because i don't have a international card, if i bought it from gold in game i could have get a refund, that's does not make sense

> > > >

> > > > You bought it from a retailer, who bought it from Anet.

> > > > Since it was retailer who originally bought the game and paid Anet money, Anet could only refund it to them, because anet has no legal bounds with you.

> > > > Refund means, a product being given back as well as the money paid for the product.

> > > > You would have to speak with a retailer if you want a refund, not with anet.

> > >

> > > the problem is, the servers belong to anet, that's a online game, so i have to pay to enter on anet servers, so even if i bought from a retailer, the game belongs to anet

> >

> > You paid for an access to the product, not for a place or bandwith on the Anet servers.

> > They could close the servers even tommorow afternoon and you have nothing to say in this matter, read the terms of service.

>

> that's the point, i paid to access anet servers and play the game that belong to anet, not the retailers, the retailers only sell for anet, that's not a offline game

>

> let's see if i buy gems from a retailer who will give me the gems anet or the retailer? ANET

No, the retailers dont only sell for ANet, that is not how retail works. ANet got NONE of your money.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > > > > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > > > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > > > > > easy to explain and understand: your contractual partner is not anet, but the retailer.

> > > > > > well not really, im playing on anet servers not retailers servers, i bought the game from a retailer but the money was send to anet in a way or another, i just bought it from the retailer because i don't have a international card, if i bought it from gold in game i could have get a refund, that's does not make sense

> > > > >

> > > > > You bought it from a retailer, who bought it from Anet.

> > > > > Since it was retailer who originally bought the game and paid Anet money, Anet could only refund it to them, because anet has no legal bounds with you.

> > > > > Refund means, a product being given back as well as the money paid for the product.

> > > > > You would have to speak with a retailer if you want a refund, not with anet.

> > > >

> > > > the problem is, the servers belong to anet, that's a online game, so i have to pay to enter on anet servers, so even if i bought from a retailer, the game belongs to anet

> > >

> > > You paid for an access to the product, not for a place or bandwith on the Anet servers.

> > > They could close the servers even tommorow afternoon and you have nothing to say in this matter, read the terms of service.

> >

> > that's the point, i paid to access anet servers and play the game that belong to anet, not the retailers, the retailers only sell for anet, that's not a offline game

> >

> > let's see if i buy gems from a retailer who will give me the gems anet or the retailer? ANET

>

> No, the retailers dont only sell for ANet, that is not how retail works. ANet got NONE of your money.

if they don't get my money how they let me access the game? that's called indirect money

The digital product has already been activated and consumed. It is not eligible for refund under any retail policy, regardless of additional offers. Some companies may choose to provide a refund anyway, and that is their choice.

Your request for in-game currency instead of a proper refund would have raised some warning signs, and an investigation is surely pending.

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > > > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > > > > easy to explain and understand: your contractual partner is not anet, but the retailer.

> > > > > well not really, im playing on anet servers not retailers servers, i bought the game from a retailer but the money was send to anet in a way or another, i just bought it from the retailer because i don't have a international card, if i bought it from gold in game i could have get a refund, that's does not make sense

> > > >

> > > > You bought it from a retailer, who bought it from Anet.

> > > > Since it was retailer who originally bought the game and paid Anet money, Anet could only refund it to them, because anet has no legal bounds with you.

> > > > Refund means, a product being given back as well as the money paid for the product.

> > > > You would have to speak with a retailer if you want a refund, not with anet.

> > >

> > > the problem is, the servers belong to anet, that's a online game, so i have to pay to enter on anet servers, so even if i bought from a retailer, the game belongs to anet

> >

> > Yes, the server is ANet's. No one's saying that you're playing on the retailer's server.

> >

> > But that's not who you bought the serial code from. You bought it from the third party retailer.

> >

> > It's like food from a grocery store. Let's say you bought a damaged box of Kraft Mac & Cheese. You wouldn't go to Kraft to get a refund or exchange right? You'd go to your grocery store to do so. Yes, it's Kraft's product, but you didn't buy it directly from them.

> >

> > Same principle here. Since you bought the game from the third party retailer and not from ANet directly, you have to go through the third party retailer for any refunds or exchanges.

>

> we can't compare physical things to a "online" thing, if i ask for the retailer for refund will anet refund the retailers? will the retailers refund me? i don't think so

You missed the point of the analogy.

You go to the person or place you bought the item from to get a refund.

ANet is not likely to refund you or give you gems just because the retailer you bought it from won't refund you. That's the risk you take when you buy from a third party retailer instead of trying to figure out how to buy directly from ANet. That if you end up unhappy with your purchase for whatever reason you usually have to eat the cost and lose out on the possibility of a refund due to third party policies on refunds for games with serial codes.

You're better off going to the retailer and explaining the situation and seeing what they would be willing to do. Maybe offer that you'd be happy with a discounted or free PoF purchase. Because I assume you would want to turn around and buy PoF since you're saying that gems would be acceptable. If they don't want to give you PoF directly.

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > > > > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > > > > > > easy to explain and understand: your contractual partner is not anet, but the retailer.

> > > > > > > well not really, im playing on anet servers not retailers servers, i bought the game from a retailer but the money was send to anet in a way or another, i just bought it from the retailer because i don't have a international card, if i bought it from gold in game i could have get a refund, that's does not make sense

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You bought it from a retailer, who bought it from Anet.

> > > > > > Since it was retailer who originally bought the game and paid Anet money, Anet could only refund it to them, because anet has no legal bounds with you.

> > > > > > Refund means, a product being given back as well as the money paid for the product.

> > > > > > You would have to speak with a retailer if you want a refund, not with anet.

> > > > >

> > > > > the problem is, the servers belong to anet, that's a online game, so i have to pay to enter on anet servers, so even if i bought from a retailer, the game belongs to anet

> > > >

> > > > You paid for an access to the product, not for a place or bandwith on the Anet servers.

> > > > They could close the servers even tommorow afternoon and you have nothing to say in this matter, read the terms of service.

> > >

> > > that's the point, i paid to access anet servers and play the game that belong to anet, not the retailers, the retailers only sell for anet, that's not a offline game

> > >

> > > let's see if i buy gems from a retailer who will give me the gems anet or the retailer? ANET

> >

> > No, the retailers dont only sell for ANet, that is not how retail works. ANet got NONE of your money.

>

> if they don't get my money how they let me access the game? that's called indirect money

If you sold a car to Joe, and then Joe sold it to Larry. Does Larry have a right to ask you for a refund if he changes his mind about the car but Joe wont give him his money back? That is, as you call it, "indirect money."

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > easy to explain and understand: your contractual partner is not anet, but the retailer.

> well not really, im playing on anet servers not retailers servers, i bought the game from a retailer but the money was send to anet in a way or another, i just bought it from the retailer because i don't have a international card, if i bought it from gold in game i could have get a refund, that's does not make sense

Most third party retailers take 15%-30% of the purchase cost of the game... and some much higher than even that. ANet was likely forwarded next to nothing.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > > > > > > > @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > > > > > > > easy to explain and understand: your contractual partner is not anet, but the retailer.

> > > > > > > > well not really, im playing on anet servers not retailers servers, i bought the game from a retailer but the money was send to anet in a way or another, i just bought it from the retailer because i don't have a international card, if i bought it from gold in game i could have get a refund, that's does not make sense

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You bought it from a retailer, who bought it from Anet.

> > > > > > > Since it was retailer who originally bought the game and paid Anet money, Anet could only refund it to them, because anet has no legal bounds with you.

> > > > > > > Refund means, a product being given back as well as the money paid for the product.

> > > > > > > You would have to speak with a retailer if you want a refund, not with anet.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > the problem is, the servers belong to anet, that's a online game, so i have to pay to enter on anet servers, so even if i bought from a retailer, the game belongs to anet

> > > > >

> > > > > You paid for an access to the product, not for a place or bandwith on the Anet servers.

> > > > > They could close the servers even tommorow afternoon and you have nothing to say in this matter, read the terms of service.

> > > >

> > > > that's the point, i paid to access anet servers and play the game that belong to anet, not the retailers, the retailers only sell for anet, that's not a offline game

> > > >

> > > > let's see if i buy gems from a retailer who will give me the gems anet or the retailer? ANET

> > >

> > > No, the retailers dont only sell for ANet, that is not how retail works. ANet got NONE of your money.

> >

> > if they don't get my money how they let me access the game? that's called indirect money

>

> If you sold a car to Joe, and then Joe sold it to Larry. Does Larry have a right to ask you for a refund if he changes his mind about the car but Joe wont give him his money back? That is, as you call it, "indirect money."

that's not the case here, i(anet) own alot of cars but i let people who pay drive my cars, but i'm too far away to get some people money so i let joe(retailer) sell the licenses for me so we both gain some money from this people, now i say that no one need to pay anymore but i have larry money, i will not give back the money for larry neither joe so joe will not give back larry his money

> @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > > > > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > > > > > easy to explain and understand: your contractual partner is not anet, but the retailer.

> > > > > > well not really, im playing on anet servers not retailers servers, i bought the game from a retailer but the money was send to anet in a way or another, i just bought it from the retailer because i don't have a international card, if i bought it from gold in game i could have get a refund, that's does not make sense

> > > > >

> > > > > You bought it from a retailer, who bought it from Anet.

> > > > > Since it was retailer who originally bought the game and paid Anet money, Anet could only refund it to them, because anet has no legal bounds with you.

> > > > > Refund means, a product being given back as well as the money paid for the product.

> > > > > You would have to speak with a retailer if you want a refund, not with anet.

> > > >

> > > > the problem is, the servers belong to anet, that's a online game, so i have to pay to enter on anet servers, so even if i bought from a retailer, the game belongs to anet

> > >

> > > Yes, the server is ANet's. No one's saying that you're playing on the retailer's server.

> > >

> > > But that's not who you bought the serial code from. You bought it from the third party retailer.

> > >

> > > It's like food from a grocery store. Let's say you bought a damaged box of Kraft Mac & Cheese. You wouldn't go to Kraft to get a refund or exchange right? You'd go to your grocery store to do so. Yes, it's Kraft's product, but you didn't buy it directly from them.

> > >

> > > Same principle here. Since you bought the game from the third party retailer and not from ANet directly, you have to go through the third party retailer for any refunds or exchanges.

> >

> > we can't compare physical things to a "online" thing, if i ask for the retailer for refund will anet refund the retailers? will the retailers refund me? i don't think so

>

> You missed the point of the analogy.

>

> You go to the person or place you bought the item from to get a refund.

>

> ANet is not likely to refund you or give you gems just because the retailer you bought it from won't refund you. That's the risk you take when you buy from a third party retailer instead of trying to figure out how to buy directly from ANet. That if you end up unhappy with your purchase for whatever reason you usually have to eat the cost and lose out on the possibility of a refund due to third party policies on refunds for games with serial codes.

>

>

> You're better off going to the retailer and explaining the situation and seeing what they would be willing to do. Maybe offer that you'd be happy with a discounted or free PoF purchase. Because I assume you would want to turn around and buy PoF since you're saying that gems would be acceptable. If they don't want to give you PoF directly.

i own both, pof and hot, i bought them at same time, im not unhappy about the game, i like it, but they are giving compensation for everyone who purchased between july and August, but im not allowed just because i didn't bought direct from them, that's the point, it's like i didn't bought the same license as everyone else

You yourself quoted this:

"Players Who Purchased Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns in the Last 60 Days

Players who bought Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns through the Black Lion Trading Post or our official website between July 31 and August 30, 2019, can request a refund in either cash or the equivalent value of gems. Players who purchased Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns through the Black Lion Trading Post or our official website between July 1, 2019, and July 30, 2019, can request gem compensation."

If you did not purchase via BLTP or the official website, then this offer is not made to you. You asked how they can let you access the game if they didn't get the money: it's because they sold a key to the place you bought it, and that place then sold it to you for more than they paid for it. ANet did get money for the key, but not from you and probably not as much as you would want for your refund since the place you bought it didn't just hand it on to you at cost.

I am sincerely sorry that you apparently weren't able to buy directly from ArenaNet (or chose not to, in which case you should have been aware that there are some risks inherent in going with a third party and decided to do it anyway to save some money). But they have no direct financial relationship with you in this matter and they have set out the legal requirements to qualify for a refund very clearly. Heck, people that bought straight from ANet on June 30, 2019, also cannot get the refund. It's all spelled out in that quote.

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> i own both, pof and hot, i bought them at same time, im not unhappy about the game, i like it, but they are giving compensation for everyone who purchased between july and August, but im not allowed just because i didn't bought direct from them.

ANet was pretty clear the refund is only for accounts paid for via ANet, because in that case, they CAN. They most likely aren't under any obligation to offer a refund for third party sales.

The only thing ANet could do, if they really want to appease third-party customers, is to offer a "refund" through gems. But there might be reasons why they don't offer that choice.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> You yourself quoted this:

> "Players Who Purchased Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns in the Last 60 Days

> Players who bought Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns through the Black Lion Trading Post or our official website between July 31 and August 30, 2019, can request a refund in either cash or the equivalent value of gems. Players who purchased Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns through the Black Lion Trading Post or our official website between July 1, 2019, and July 30, 2019, can request gem compensation."

>

> If you did not purchase via BLTP or the official website, then this offer is not made to you. You asked how they can let you access the game if they didn't get the money: it's because they sold a key to the place you bought it, and that place then sold it to you for more than they paid for it. ANet did get money for the key, but not from you and probably not as much as you would want for your refund since the place you bought it didn't just hand it on to you at cost.

>

> I am sincerely sorry that you apparently weren't able to buy directly from ArenaNet (or chose not to, in which case you should have been aware that there are some risks inherent in going with a third party and decided to do it anyway to save some money). But they have no direct financial relationship with you in this matter and they have set out the legal requirements to qualify for a refund very clearly. Heck, people that bought straight from ANet on June 30, 2019, also cannot get the refund. It's all spelled out in that quote.

i understand that, but just because i bought from a official retailer my license to the game worth less? i just bought at a retailer because that's the only way, i have paid even more actually since it's like tax, both of them have to gain, if my license worth less why they even announce at their site?

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> I just want a serious response about the Heart of Thorns refund, Since i'm not from USA and i dont have a int card, so to get the game i bought it from an offcial retailer that i found at the official site, the game and the keys are the same, even people who bought it with gold/gem in game are allowed to get a refund, can someone answer me?

1st you cant buy the any gw2 expansion with gems/gold.

2nd there is no way of telling when you bought it from a retailer.

Best bet is for you to turn in a ticket and see what happens. If you dont have pof i would suggest to them to upgrade it for free. But as for asking for gems i would say no. Reason being is who knows if you got it at Bob's discount software shop for $10. But then again the customer is always right, allegedly.

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > i own both, pof and hot, i bought them at same time, im not unhappy about the game, i like it, but they are giving compensation for everyone who purchased between july and August, but im not allowed just because i didn't bought direct from them.

>

> ANet was pretty clear the refund is only for accounts paid for via ANet, because in that case, they CAN. They most likely aren't under any obligation to offer a refund for third party sales.

>

> The only thing ANet could do, if they really want to appease third-party customers, is to offer a "refund" through gems. But there might be reasons why they don't offer that choice.

>

yes that's what i want to know from anet what are the reasons, the cash back i understand, gems compesatation i don't, since is the same license from the game

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > I just want a serious response about the Heart of Thorns refund, Since i'm not from USA and i dont have a int card, so to get the game i bought it from an offcial retailer that i found at the official site, the game and the keys are the same, even people who bought it with gold/gem in game are allowed to get a refund, can someone answer me?

>

> 1st you cant buy the any gw2 expansion with gems/gold.

> 2nd there is no way of telling when you bought it from a retailer.

>

> Best bet is for you to turn in a ticket and see what happens. If you dont have pof i would suggest to them to upgrade it for free. But as for asking for gems i would say no. Reason being is who knows if you got it at Bob's discount software shop for $10. But then again the customer is always right, allegedly.

yes they know, they have in their database what keys are sent to retailers, i didn't even said and they said that i can't get gem compensation because i bought from a retailer, that's means they just use retailers like i said

> @"Cuks.8241" said:

> I don't think they are obliged to refund you but I would still try and ask for a compensation in gems. Even if they answered try to make a better case. It seems fair to me. Add a copy of a receipt.

i know, they aren't obliged to refund, to tell you the truth i enjoyed alot of the game at this last days, but they are refunding gems to everyone who bought direct from them, that's like saying that i bought an unofficial/piracy key and worth nothing, if my key worth nothing why they annunce the retailers? i think the retailers don't even buy from them and resell, they just ask for anet when someone need it, since anet know what keys are sent

> @"SeikeNz.3526" said:

> > @"Cuks.8241" said:

> > I don't think they are obliged to refund you but I would still try and ask for a compensation in gems. Even if they answered try to make a better case. It seems fair to me. Add a copy of a receipt.

>

> i know, they aren't obliged to refund, to tell you the truth i enjoyed alot of the game at this last days, but they are refunding gems to everyone who bought direct from them, that's like saying that i bought an unofficial/piracy key and worth nothing, if my key worth nothing why they annunce the retailers? i think the retailers don't even buy from them and resell, they just ask for anet when someone need it, since anet know what keys are sent

You do realize that the key you purchased was likely purchased months ago from ANet? Like when PoF launched. So as far as ANet knows, you bought it months ago. Way before the period of refunds are. So in actuality, they are likely following their own guidelines. Your key, since purchased at a third party retailer, was likely purchased from ANet before the period the refunds are good for.

Should ask the retailer then. And the retailer should ask ArenaNet. And then we might have the problem that retailers could fake date of when it got bought by the end user. Similar end user could do that when trying to contact ArenaNet himself. Maybe they should use the actual date of activation - I guess that one is safe to verify from ArenaNet's own account database. (If they saved it when activating.)

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > im not even asking for cash, its just the gems like everyone else would get

>

> Gems are cash for ANet, so ... yeah, you kinda are asking for cash.

>

except ANet can freely create gems out of thin air, whereas they can't do that with actual money. :D

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > im not even asking for cash, its just the gems like everyone else would get

> >

> > Gems are cash for ANet, so ... yeah, you kinda are asking for cash.

> >

> except ANet can freely create gems out of thin air, whereas they can't do that with actual money. :D

>

For which they have no incentive to do so since real money goes to them to purchase gems. Why would they release free gems?