hopefully some core maps get refreshed in later eps?

Menadena.7482

I think it'll be difficult to refresh core maps in a way that requires PoF and a living world episode unlock. How do you lock out people who don't have the expansion? Ultimately though, I'd rather them focus on adding new maps and content to tell new stories than tweaking existing maps and possibly erasing or overwriting existing stories.

Obviously we can't just take map and completely change it, when Lake Doric came out I thought it would be amazing if destroyed dam caused Queensdale to be flooded, changing whole map a little, adding new events. But it wouldn't work for many reasons, new players, and their confusion what is going on here etc. So what's the solution? I dunno, the only idea I had is to make second version of same map, available only to those who finished certain point in their story and leave them open to visit core version of the map if they like to. It may be stupid idea but, well.. I'm not too creative, but I'm sure someone would solve this in a better way. Anyway I would love such changes to core maps.

> @"SinisterSlay.6973" said:

> That's kind of an mmo problem. Map changes apply to everyone. Gw2 sort of covered this flaw up with instances. But doing your personal story, it's jarring to see old lionsarch.

Not entirely true there. WoW did that with phasing.

Old Silithus turning into the wound where sargeras stabbed azeroth. And you can talk to a bronze dragonflight member to go back to the past version.

Old arathi - new arathi

Old Tirifal glades with old undercity. - siegemarked Tirisfal and inaccessible undercity.

old darkshore and teldrassil - new darkshore and inaccessible teldrassil.

lowbies will see the old version. Progress to battle for azeroth time and the maps changes.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > @"SinisterSlay.6973" said:

> > That's kind of an mmo problem. Map changes apply to everyone. Gw2 sort of covered this flaw up with instances. But doing your personal story, it's jarring to see old lionsarch.

>

> Not entirely true there. WoW did that with phasing.

>

> Old Silithus turning into the wound where sargeras stabbed azeroth. And you can talk to a bronze dragonflight member to go back to the past version.

>

> Old arathi - new arathi

> Old Tirifal glades with old undercity. - siegemarked Tirisfal and inaccessible undercity.

> old darkshore and teldrassil - new darkshore and inaccessible teldrassil.

>

> lowbies will see the old version. Progress to battle for azeroth time and the maps changes.

That's basically a duplicate map though.

> @"cNd.1096" said:

> Obviously we can't just take map and completely change it, when Lake Doric came out I thought it would be amazing if destroyed dam caused Queensdale to be flooded, changing whole map a little, adding new events. But it wouldn't work for many reasons, new players, and their confusion what is going on here etc. So what's the solution? I dunno, the only idea I had is to make second version of same map, available only to those who finished certain point in their story and leave them open to visit core version of the map if they like to. It may be stupid idea but, well.. I'm not too creative, but I'm sure someone would solve this in a better way. Anyway I would love such changes to core maps.

Fun fact I actually wrote a post asking Anet to flood Queensdale years and years ago, back when living world 1 was going on I think.

Also layed out a plan to revamp the shadow behemoth so that he would be fought on floating platforms forcing players to group up and avoid his upgraded attacks which would break them haha

Thinking about that concept now actually makes me smile, part of me would still like to see that happen but I know it never will, starter map and all that.

Also remembering back when Lake Doric was due to drop and tons of us were having a party on the boat in the lake below the lake doric dam hoping that it was going to break and flood the area because the trailer showed a dam breaking XD

Fun times.

> That's kind of an mmo problem. Map changes apply to everyone. Gw2 sort of covered this flaw up with instances. But doing your personal story, it's jarring to see old lionsarch.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > @"SinisterSlay.6973" said:

> > That's kind of an mmo problem. Map changes apply to everyone. Gw2 sort of covered this flaw up with instances. But doing your personal story, it's jarring to see old lionsarch.

>

> Not entirely true there. WoW did that with phasing.

>

> Old Silithus turning into the wound where sargeras stabbed azeroth. And you can talk to a bronze dragonflight member to go back to the past version.

>

> Old arathi - new arathi

> Old Tirifal glades with old undercity. - siegemarked Tirisfal and inaccessible undercity.

> old darkshore and teldrassil - new darkshore and inaccessible teldrassil.

>

> lowbies will see the old version. Progress to battle for azeroth time and the maps changes.

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > @"SinisterSlay.6973" said:

> > > That's kind of an mmo problem. Map changes apply to everyone. Gw2 sort of covered this flaw up with instances. But doing your personal story, it's jarring to see old lionsarch.

> >

> > Not entirely true there. WoW did that with phasing.

> >

> > Old Silithus turning into the wound where sargeras stabbed azeroth. And you can talk to a bronze dragonflight member to go back to the past version.

> >

> > Old arathi - new arathi

> > Old Tirifal glades with old undercity. - siegemarked Tirisfal and inaccessible undercity.

> > old darkshore and teldrassil - new darkshore and inaccessible teldrassil.

> >

> > lowbies will see the old version. Progress to battle for azeroth time and the maps changes.

>

> That's basically a duplicate map though.

Actually ESO does this, only without a new map...you're on the same map as others...and I'll give an example, you have a quest/event to save a town from destruction. As you, the player who has not done this event yet approaches, you'll come across the town under attack by...whomever the enemy happens to be, but there are other players around who have already done that particular event and they see nothing but a saved town(or one taken over by the enemy if failure occurs). You go about your business and either succeed or fail, when you are done with the quest/event then you also only see the completed town in which ever state the event leaves it, while other newer players that have not done it see it in the before state...yet you're both on the same map. It can be done, and it doesn't have to fracture the player base as players are still on the same map but don't always have the same visuals depending on whether or not the event/quest has been completed.

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > Was I the only one hoping some core maps would be refreshed and/or have additions rather than them doing another new map and just adding to it in later eps?

>

> No thanks, I want to play on level 80 maps and not be downscaled.

>

I guess you forgot Frostgorge Sound and such exists if you only want to play on 80 maps?

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > Was I the only one hoping some core maps would be refreshed and/or have additions rather than them doing another new map and just adding to it in later eps?

> >

> > No thanks, I want to play on level 80 maps and not be downscaled.

> >

>

> I guess you forgot Frostgorge Sound and such exists if you only want to play on 80 maps?

Technically only cursed shore is a level 80 map in the core zones (excl southson, dry top and Silverwastes which are S1/S2)

Frost gorge does have some level 80 sections but otherwise is a 70-80 map and includes downscaling

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > Was I the only one hoping some core maps would be refreshed and/or have additions rather than them doing another new map and just adding to it in later eps?

> >

> > No thanks, I want to play on level 80 maps and not be downscaled.

> >

>

> I guess you forgot Frostgorge Sound and such exists if you only want to play on 80 maps?

Only Cursed shore is level 80 from Vanilla maps, and they could never do anything to that map to make me want to play it again.

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > Was I the only one hoping some core maps would be refreshed and/or have additions rather than them doing another new map and just adding to it in later eps?

>

> No thanks, I want to play on level 80 maps and not be downscaled.

>

Why not? In my experience, the more levels I go down, the stronger my character becomes. Scaling is too lenient in my opinion.