Mastery to regain use of mounts in the cold

Matt H.6142

Bitterfrost shows we can’t stand the worst of the cold without a thaw elixir, so putting limitations on the norm isn’t out of the question.

Points of losing something you’ve earned. You gotta put snow tires on your car. You can hate on the weather, but you have to adapt to new situations.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Eldbrand Charging.8902" said:

> > @"Matt H.6142" said:

> > Mounts have certainly changed the way we take in content, and maybe not always for the better.

> > In the new region, to feel the threat of the cold, perhaps we should train a new mastery to regain use of mounts. Where the icebrood kodan become a threat again with their whirlwind attacks, and foes popping out of ice blocks add to our perils.

> > The flavor of it would be we are training up their cold resistance, and perhaps this should be tiered as we get closer to Jormag, and the temperature keeps dropping. They are from the desert after all.

> > In this way, after a time, people can use their mounts again and use them as they wish, but are richer for the experiences.

>

> That would make for a very empty zon, I would not enter the zon, specially after all the "kitten" unlocking the Skyscale.

Yes, if they will make it so you need mounts I would hope they restrict it to the first 4 as people may or may not have the others. I am not about to go do, oh, the skyscale quests just so I can complete a chapter of S5.

Why should anyone care how swiftly other players discover new maps? In what way does it truly affect your ability to play the content? Extrapolated further, since I am a very casual player who doesn't have much time to play because of family, work and so on, then I advocate that no players be able to play more than 1 hour each day so that they don't discover more of the new map before I am able to.

> @"ScyeRynn.4218" said:

> > @"Matt H.6142" said:

> > Mounts have certainly changed the way we take in content, and maybe not always for the better.

> > In the new region, to feel the threat of the cold, perhaps we should train a new mastery to regain use of mounts. Where the icebrood kodan become a threat again with their whirlwind attacks, and foes popping out of ice blocks add to our perils.

> > The flavor of it would be we are training up their cold resistance, and perhaps this should be tiered as we get closer to Jormag, and the temperature keeps dropping. They are from the desert after all.

> > In this way, after a time, people can use their mounts again and use them as they wish, but are richer for the experiences.

>

> So basically, we have to earn what we already earned just to play in specific zones of the world we may not even return to after the mission? I think I'd prefer something actually good for masteries.

You earned mounts to use in the expansion that mounts were made for. HoT and core were a freeby.

There is no, and has never been, any incentive that mounts would or should always be available.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> I think it's good if Living Saga 5 would block mounts.

> At least until story and map exploration is completed.

> Maybe an achievement that includes map completion, story, and the meta events give access to a mastery top unlock mounts again.

> But mounts can really break maps if not build carefully

I don't understand the point. If mounts will break the map then it doesn't matter when they are available. Again, how is this affecting you as a player if someone else uses mounts to complete the content? It's not a race; there are no in-game rewards for being the first to complete something.

If you don't want to use mounts to discover and explore the new map, then that's your option. Please don't dictate to others how they should play.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > I think it's good if Living Saga 5 would block mounts.

> > At least until story and map exploration is completed.

> > Maybe an achievement that includes map completion, story, and the meta events give access to a mastery top unlock mounts again.

> > But mounts can really break maps if not build carefully

>

> I don't understand the point. If mounts will break the map then it doesn't matter when they are available. Again, how is this affecting you as a player if someone else uses mounts to complete the content? It's not a race; there are no in-game rewards for being the first to complete something.

>

> If you don't want to use mounts to discover and explore the new map, then that's your option. Please don't dictate to others how they should play.

>

some people would like to do it this way. it both makes new maps take longer to explore, and help them feel bigger, also making us learn the roads instead of flying everywhere, and also gives new things to do, since unlocking it in each new place is in fact more activities to do. No one is saying how others should play, but it's valid to say they would enjoy it.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"ScyeRynn.4218" said:

> > > @"Matt H.6142" said:

> > > Mounts have certainly changed the way we take in content, and maybe not always for the better.

> > > In the new region, to feel the threat of the cold, perhaps we should train a new mastery to regain use of mounts. Where the icebrood kodan become a threat again with their whirlwind attacks, and foes popping out of ice blocks add to our perils.

> > > The flavor of it would be we are training up their cold resistance, and perhaps this should be tiered as we get closer to Jormag, and the temperature keeps dropping. They are from the desert after all.

> > > In this way, after a time, people can use their mounts again and use them as they wish, but are richer for the experiences.

> >

> > So basically, we have to earn what we already earned just to play in specific zones of the world we may not even return to after the mission? I think I'd prefer something actually good for masteries.

>

> You earned mounts to use in the expansion that mounts were made for. HoT and core were a freeby.

> There is no, and has never been, any incentive that mounts would or should always be available.

>

No.

Never even once when I unlocked the Griffon, Skyscale or other mount was it stated, neither ingame or elsewhere, that I only earned the right to use them in certain zones.

I just EARNED them. What I earned should not be taken from me.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > I think it's good if Living Saga 5 would block mounts.

> > > At least until story and map exploration is completed.

> > > Maybe an achievement that includes map completion, story, and the meta events give access to a mastery top unlock mounts again.

> > > But mounts can really break maps if not build carefully

> >

> > I don't understand the point. If mounts will break the map then it doesn't matter when they are available. Again, how is this affecting you as a player if someone else uses mounts to complete the content? It's not a race; there are no in-game rewards for being the first to complete something.

> >

> > If you don't want to use mounts to discover and explore the new map, then that's your option. Please don't dictate to others how they should play.

> >

>

> some people would like to do it this way. it both makes new maps take longer to explore, and help them feel bigger, also making us learn the roads instead of flying everywhere, and also gives new things to do, since unlocking it in each new place is in fact more activities to do. No one is saying how others should play, but it's valid to say they would enjoy it.

They can still do that if mounts are available. They can just choose not to use them.

Just because they want to explore the new map slowly and on foot doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to do the same.

> @"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:

> > @"coso.9173" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > I think it's good if Living Saga 5 would block mounts.

> > > > At least until story and map exploration is completed.

> > > > Maybe an achievement that includes map completion, story, and the meta events give access to a mastery top unlock mounts again.

> > > > But mounts can really break maps if not build carefully

> > >

> > > I don't understand the point. If mounts will break the map then it doesn't matter when they are available. Again, how is this affecting you as a player if someone else uses mounts to complete the content? It's not a race; there are no in-game rewards for being the first to complete something.

> > >

> > > If you don't want to use mounts to discover and explore the new map, then that's your option. Please don't dictate to others how they should play.

> > >

> >

> > some people would like to do it this way. it both makes new maps take longer to explore, and help them feel bigger, also making us learn the roads instead of flying everywhere, and also gives new things to do, since unlocking it in each new place is in fact more activities to do. No one is saying how others should play, but it's valid to say they would enjoy it.

>

> They can still do that if mounts are available. They can just choose not to use them.

> Just because they want to explore the new map slowly and on foot doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to do the same.

EXACTLY!!!!

> @"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:

> > @"coso.9173" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > I think it's good if Living Saga 5 would block mounts.

> > > > At least until story and map exploration is completed.

> > > > Maybe an achievement that includes map completion, story, and the meta events give access to a mastery top unlock mounts again.

> > > > But mounts can really break maps if not build carefully

> > >

> > > I don't understand the point. If mounts will break the map then it doesn't matter when they are available. Again, how is this affecting you as a player if someone else uses mounts to complete the content? It's not a race; there are no in-game rewards for being the first to complete something.

> > >

> > > If you don't want to use mounts to discover and explore the new map, then that's your option. Please don't dictate to others how they should play.

> > >

> >

> > some people would like to do it this way. it both makes new maps take longer to explore, and help them feel bigger, also making us learn the roads instead of flying everywhere, and also gives new things to do, since unlocking it in each new place is in fact more activities to do. No one is saying how others should play, but it's valid to say they would enjoy it.

>

> They can still do that if mounts are available. They can just choose not to use them.

> Just because they want to explore the new map slowly and on foot doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to do the same.

True, I really dislike OP's idea. If someone wants to limit themselves for one reason or another, they can easly do it on their own accord without forcibly impairing other players.

> @"Matt H.6142" said:

> Mounts have certainly changed the way we take in content, and maybe not always for the better.

> In the new region, to feel the threat of the cold, perhaps we should train a new mastery to regain use of mounts. Where the icebrood kodan become a threat again with their whirlwind attacks, and foes popping out of ice blocks add to our perils.

> The flavor of it would be we are training up their cold resistance, and perhaps this should be tiered as we get closer to Jormag, and the temperature keeps dropping. They are from the desert after all.

> In this way, after a time, people can use their mounts again and use them as they wish, but are richer for the experiences.

Hi there. This sounds like WoW pathfinder. Double eff no. Part of the reason i'm quitting WoW is it's not respectful of my time to keep taking progress away from me, especially when i've spent hours making it (i get to fly for less than half an expansion before i can't again? And i've spent how many hours on pathfinder?). Heck i'm still not done with skyscale (just haven't found the time to grind map currencies). No. Just no. If you want to keep grinding the same things, WoW is that way -----> they reset your gear progress practically every 6 months and your flying progress every year (don't allow it for one, have to do stuff after, take it away again.)

Something i'm actually enjoying too is noticing how good of a job Anet has done in changing map designs based on mount capabilities: there's way more verticality in Istan that just wouldn't fly in wow because they have to design everything based on you moving around on foot and i actually think Istan looks way cooler than any BFA zone in this regard (BFA art is good, don't want to shame it, but honestly map design is bland). I'm more hopeful for masteries that make doing metas on dead maps easier. Season maps tend to go blank over time and it's a shame if you want to chase certain achievements/masteries after the fact.

As far as my WoW days go, just going to finish the 15th anniversary events and the rest of the storyline for BFA and then i'm done. I just can't see blizzard finally fixing their inflexible class system combined with their inflexible role system along with all the other time sinks . I'm certain i have a good idea of how things will end and it will be a fitting end to my WoW experience.

Think of it more as a level-up. Happens all the time in Metroid. You’ve earned a mount that can handle everything we’ve faced so far, but desert animals need more training against Jormag breath. The cold is a new element and already you need a thaw elixir to even enter the worst of it.

> It's not the same not using mounts because you don't want to, or not using them because they're not allowed

You are right it is not the same, in one case not using mounts is optional, in the other it is forced on players. But that's where the differences end.

> then having fun unlocking them

I don't considering unlocking something I already unlocked to be fun.

I jumped through a lot of hoops to earn the right to fly around on my Skyscale, I shouldn't have to earn that right again.

What I find fun is working on getting things I do not yet have.

different things for different people, but the same way you ask us not to tell other people what or how to play, do not ask people what to post on the forums. we're all entitled to have our opinions on what we would like on the game.

in ffxiv you had to earn the right to flight in every map, and the main requirement was finishing the story, to prevent people from just flying everywhere and skipping all enemies while doing the story. I liked that approach and I think it was fair, since it didn't require a lot of grinding either.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> This threat is already showing one of my fears. Mounts making people lazy and expecting to always have them available anywhere and everywhere.

> What happened to your sense of adventure? Why do you desperately need to race through content? Enjoy the scenery for a change

Maybe they want to experience the metas and do the story while there are still a lot of people around.

Maybe they just want to experience the story on the first character and will enjoy the scenery on a future character they bring through.

And maybe, just maybe, one can ride a mount and enjoy the scenery at the same time.

I can use my mounts to see how far up a mountain I can get. If you lock away mounts, there goes that sense of adventure.