Kralkatorrik post-PoF [SPOILERS]

Chorne.8195

Ok, so I didn't put this in the title in fear of people freaking out at me about spoiling the ending, but **where on earth, ( Or Tyria, I should say, ) did Kralkatorrik fly to?**

At the end of PoF, while celebrating our temporary victory over Balthazar and the Forged with the citizens of Amnoon, a horrible roar is heard, the sky turns purple, lighting comes down from above, and we see a cinematic in which Kralkatorrik is seen flying over an area I don't recognize, with those signature blue-dome buildings we see a lot around Elona. He flies over those, then makes it to a stone building which resembles the architecture we see in Joko-controlled areas, past some stone buttes like in the Highlands, and towards the rising sun.

Assuming Tyria goes by our worlds rules in terms of where the sun rises and sets, ( And I really see no reason why it should not, ) we can assume he flies to the East. I don't believe, ( correct me if I'm wrong, ) that we've ever been to that area. It's very green and lush and appears to be a temperate zone like Kryta, with large lakes far inland, the biggest being about the size of Divinity's Reach. However, we see this event from _Amnoon,_ in the west of Elona. The Dragonbrand is typically about the width of Ebonhawke, and we feel the effects of it in Amnoon, with lightning and purple, stormy skies like in the Fury of the Brand, near the place where Kralkatorrik supposedly rests prior to this madness. So, if we were in a city on the western part of Elona, and Kralky was heading east, how the hell did we have lightning strikes and etc. where we were?

And what area did he fly over? I personally didn't recognize any specific areas in the cutscene because to be honest, they were quite generic, though they looked as though they may be somewhere around Vabbi, which would make sense, seeing as he was in Vabbi prior to the epilogue. But it'd have to be a new area, because they just made the maps in PoF. They can't just redo them a short time after their introduction. So, it'd either have to be a new area that we have never seen that Joko's taken over or founded, or one we've already seen, but isn't present in GW2 yet, like Kourna.

So, what do you guys think? Where did he fly over, where did he go, and how did we see it?

Bit of a bummer, really. I was hoping we'd get to discover this mysterious new area with the giant lakes but NOPE more Elona. I'm starting to get Elona-d out, even though these maps are absolutely gorgeous.

But that still leaves the question: How did we feel the effects of his migration all the way in Amnoon? Elder Dragons awakening can be heard and felt for miles around, as evidenced by Mordremoth's roars being heard in Divinity's Reach and his tendrils reaching all over Tyria, all the way to the Iron Marches in Ascalon.

But an Elder Dragon simply moving heard and felt and causing destruction as far away as the entire width of the country of _Ascalon_? Nothing on that scale was mentioned in the books or in the game when he originally moved across Ascalon. Is it just undocumented, or is it because of all the Balthazar magic he lapped up?

AMAs (abbreviated from 'Ask Me Anything') are usually done on reddit, and the devs answer a bunch of questions related to the recent releases, which they've been doing a good job of. While there are a ton of sub reddits, the one we're most interested is the GW2 subreddit.

I can't find the specific post about Kralk going to Vabbi, sorry, it's probably covered in spoiler tags and i'm not bothered to read through the entire thread.

Kralk has more magic now not only because he snacked on balthazar, but he also got juiced by Zhaitan and possibly mordremoth too, making his power increased by a lot from the last time we heard word of him spreading the brand.

well > @Chorne.8195 said:

> Bit of a bummer, really. I was hoping we'd get to discover this mysterious new area with the giant lakes but NOPE more Elona. I'm starting to get Elona-d out, even though these maps are absolutely gorgeous.

> But that still leaves the question: How did we feel the effects of his migration all the way in Amnoon? Elder Dragons awakening can be heard and felt for miles around, as evidenced by Mordremoth's roars being heard in Divinity's Reach and his tendrils reaching all over Tyria, all the way to the Iron Marches in Ascalon.

> But an Elder Dragon simply moving heard and felt and causing destruction as far away as the entire width of the country of _Ascalon_? Nothing on that scale was mentioned in the books or in the game when he originally moved across Ascalon. Is it just undocumented, or is it because of all the Balthazar magic he lapped up?

The large scar in map on purple color is basically its path, and the areas adjacent to it are all branded. I do not remember where I read, that Kralkatorric branded the whole area where he passes, so I see no inconsistency in that.

[We have a thread about this topic already.](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/6758/did-kralkatorrik-moved-from-east-vabbi-and-flew-toward-the-rising-morning-sun/p1) Summary of thread: We know he's going south in the first shot of the cinematic, and in the final shot he's shown going towards the rising sun (east). This would place him just east of Kourna.

> @Chorne.8195 said:

> But an Elder Dragon simply moving heard and felt and causing destruction as far away as the entire width of the country of _Ascalon_? Nothing on that scale was mentioned in the books or in the game when he originally moved across Ascalon. Is it just undocumented, or is it because of all the Balthazar magic he lapped up?

Actually, it was (Edge of Destiny, page 355):

The black cloud was spreading with preternatural speed. In heartbeats, it engulfed the sky. Waves of dark magic riled through the belly of the cloud, and red lightning flickered horribly. In the far west, a strange golden beam tore down from the cloud to rake the horizon.

This is from the perspective of Ebonhawke, with the "golden beam" being how Kralkatorrik created the initial Dragonbrand (his actively corrupting breath). Though close to Kralkatorrik, the entire sky was blotted out by Kralkatorrik's thunderstorm and wingspan, which would mean it reached far enough to cover just about the whole of Fields of Ruin before it was parallel with Ebonhawke. (Similarly, when Kralkatorrik woke up a pall hung over the Black Citadel, despite how far away Kralkatorrik was at that time.)

There's also Jormag's movement south. I cannot find the NPC on the wiki, but there is a norn skaald (iirc it was a skaald) who mentions that the norn knew Jormag was coming south after it arose, and prepared to meet the dragon. [Thyrie Bylund](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thyrie_Bylund) mentions that Jormag created a four year long blizzard as it marched south, too, which might have been part of how they knew.

So Elder Dragons do make massive shows across wide spans of land showing their movement. Of the four dragons we know/are hinted at having moved, two had storm-like effects seen at great distance, one resulted in earthquakes, and the fourth was just too far away from Central Tyria to be felt (the deep sea dragon).

None of the effects were quite visible in the distance of Amnoon from Vabbi, but one can place this under the effects of dramatic tension, or due to Kralkatorrik's massive power boost.

> @HaseKent.1843 said:

> If Jormag is moving south, Kralk is heading south too, and from what we see, Zhaitan, Prim, and Mordy is at the South part of the map of each region..... Is there anything at the southern part which attract all of them???

-Mordremoth and Zhaitan were already where they are in-game before the awoke. They didn't move south, that is just where they were.

-Primordus only moved south to absorb magic from Zhaitan and Mordy's deaths.

-Jormag is likely moving south because the area he awoke would be close to the arctic circle of Tyira(assuming Tyria is anything like Earth in that regards), and he already drove the Kodan, and northern Quaggan out from the region, so he has to move south to find more things to snack on.

> @Chorne.8195 said:

> But that still leaves the question: How did we feel the effects of his migration all the way in Amnoon? Elder Dragons awakening can be heard and felt for miles around, as evidenced by Mordremoth's roars being heard in Divinity's Reach and his tendrils reaching all over Tyria, all the way to the Iron Marches in Ascalon.

As I understand it, we only saw the sky spectacle from Amnoon. And these effects could have been seen from hundreds of miles. The rest, the formation of a new Brand, is simply a cinematic for the players, it's not something our characters see directly.

> @HaseKent.1843 said:

> If Jormag is moving south, Kralk is heading south too, and from what we see, Zhaitan, Prim, and Mordy is at the South part of the map of each region..... Is there anything at the southern part which attract all of them???

Interesting notion. And there's more to that to consider than just "three moved south".

From what little we have on the Dragonrise, Orr was Kralkatorrik's territory for the majority of it, implying that Zhaitan had moved there from somewhere else originally, and aside from Kralkatorrik the only dragon that had a lot of interaction with the races was Primordus, implying that even Jormag and Mordremoth were rather distant for the most part. Four of the Elder Dragons centralizing on Central Tyria in the end of the dragonrise can make sense due to the creation of the Bloodstone (the world's magic would all be drawn to one point, and the Elder Dragons would hunt that one point of magical disappearance since they cannot seem to be able to sense the Bloodstone itself).

In this dragonrise, Primordus was moving all across Central Tyria - having gone under Brisban Wildlands, Kessex Hills/Dominion of Winds, Mount Maelstrom, Fields of Ruin, and Desert Highlands at some point before returning to his "base" of the Central Transfer Chamber all before eventually moving to Draconis Mons. While he moved south for Zhaitan's and Mordremoth's magic, we're not exactly clear why he moved around so much in the Depths beforehand (our best guess would be to hunt down the six great asuran cities in the Depths - Quora Sum and the Central Transfer Chamber being two of them - which were all on par to modern Rata Sum so would have a boatload of magic each).

Jormag's likely moved south because his awakening near [Furious Stretch](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Tyria_world_fan_map.jpg) would likely mean little magic and creatures to corrupt, so it moved south towards the civilized races most likely, but it could be after something even further south than Central Tyria, and is only being held up due to the norn/Spirits of the Wild's actions - it may see itself not yet able to just march through civilized lands of beings that have one in a thousand individuals who could harm him (learning a lesson from Aesgir and Owl).

But Kralkatorrik's movement to Vabbi and now further south is curious. He had already absorbed a good deal of Mordremoth's (and presumably Zhaitan's) magic before moving. And if we go off of the cinematic at the end of HoT Mordremoth's last bit of magic (first went through Tarir to Bloodstone Fen, second went to Draconis Mons/Ember Bay, third went towards Kralkatorrik) went far west (towards the DSD?). So that's not what he would be after. More of Zhaitan's magic? Though we don't quite know where that went. There's nothing of real interest in Kourna, as far as magic goes. It's never even established why he stopped in Vabbi (djinn magic? the temple of Lyssa?).

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

>It's never even established why he stopped in Vabbi (djinn magic? the temple of Lyssa?).

I doubt it was any one thing, but rather a combination of everything going on in Vabbi. Vabbi was always shown as being one of the most magical places in the human known world, giant floating gardens, djinn everywhere bound to the land, people living in such eloquence that they had giant tapestries of magically moving text, etc. etc. Besides Orr before it sunk, Vabbi was the most magical human kingdom we know of.

> As I understand it, we only saw the sky spectacle from Amnoon. And these effects could have been seen from hundreds of miles.

Yes, but that sky spectacle also caused some damage. It smashes the platform holding up the giant gulper fish, the crates next to you, and that's only the general area you're in. The lightning might have done considerable damage to different areas in Elona.

> Actually, it was (Edge of Destiny, page 355): "The black cloud was spreading with preternatural speed. In heartbeats, it engulfed the sky. Waves of dark magic riled through the belly of the cloud, and red lightning flickered horribly. In the far west, a strange golden beam tore down from the cloud to rake the horizon." This is from the perspective of Ebonhawke, with the "golden beam" being how Kralkatorrik created the initial Dragonbrand (his actively corrupting breath). Though close to Kralkatorrik, the entire sky was blotted out by Kralkatorrik's thunderstorm and wingspan, which would mean it reached far enough to cover just about the whole of Fields of Ruin before it was parallel with Ebonhawke. (Similarly, when Kralkatorrik woke up a pall hung over the Black Citadel, despite how far away Kralkatorrik was at that time.)

Ah. Forgot about that, should have checked the book first. For a second though while I was playing through the instance I was scared that they were going to screw themselves over like they did with S1 with redoing new maps, the Brand effects were so crazy. I thought they were going to brand the area around Amnoon or something.

That's a cool idea. If so however Cantha is absolutely screwed, isn't it?

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @HaseKent.1843 said:

> > If Jormag is moving south, Kralk is heading south too, and from what we see, Zhaitan, Prim, and Mordy is at the South part of the map of each region..... Is there anything at the southern part which attract all of them???

>

> Interesting notion. And there's more to that to consider than just "three moved south".

>

> From what little we have on the Dragonrise, Orr was Kralkatorrik's territory for the majority of it, implying that Zhaitan had moved there from somewhere else originally, and aside from Kralkatorrik the only dragon that had a lot of interaction with the races was Primordus, implying that even Jormag and Mordremoth were rather distant for the most part. Four of the Elder Dragons centralizing on Central Tyria in the end of the dragonrise can make sense due to the creation of the Bloodstone (the world's magic would all be drawn to one point, and the Elder Dragons would hunt that one point of magical disappearance since they cannot seem to be able to sense the Bloodstone itself).

>

> In this dragonrise, Primordus was moving all across Central Tyria - having gone under Brisban Wildlands, Kessex Hills/Dominion of Winds, Mount Maelstrom, Fields of Ruin, and Desert Highlands at some point before returning to his "base" of the Central Transfer Chamber all before eventually moving to Draconis Mons. While he moved south for Zhaitan's and Mordremoth's magic, we're not exactly clear why he moved around so much in the Depths beforehand (our best guess would be to hunt down the six great asuran cities in the Depths - Quora Sum and the Central Transfer Chamber being two of them - which were all on par to modern Rata Sum so would have a boatload of magic each).

>

> Jormag's likely moved south because his awakening near [Furious Stretch](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Tyria_world_fan_map.jpg) would likely mean little magic and creatures to corrupt, so it moved south towards the civilized races most likely, but it could be after something even further south than Central Tyria, and is only being held up due to the norn/Spirits of the Wild's actions - it may see itself not yet able to just march through civilized lands of beings that have one in a thousand individuals who could harm him (learning a lesson from Aesgir and Owl).

>

> But Kralkatorrik's movement to Vabbi and now further south is curious. He had already absorbed a good deal of Mordremoth's (and presumably Zhaitan's) magic before moving. And if we go off of the cinematic at the end of HoT Mordremoth's last bit of magic (first went through Tarir to Bloodstone Fen, second went to Draconis Mons/Ember Bay, third went towards Kralkatorrik) went far west (towards the DSD?). So that's not what he would be after. More of Zhaitan's magic? Though we don't quite know where that went. There's nothing of real interest in Kourna, as far as magic goes. It's never even established why he stopped in Vabbi (djinn magic? the temple of Lyssa?).

he stopped for lunch. Branding is him breathing, he gets out of breath. Plus he may have asthma

> @"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> >It's never even established why he stopped in Vabbi (djinn magic? the temple of Lyssa?).

> I doubt it was any one thing, but rather a combination of everything going on in Vabbi. Vabbi was always shown as being one of the most magical places in the human known world, giant floating gardens, djinn everywhere bound to the land, people living in such eloquence that they had giant tapestries of magically moving text, etc. etc. Besides Orr before it sunk, Vabbi was the most magical human kingdom we know of.

>

Hrrrmn. Cantha might match it. It's not as overt, and probably not overtly utilised by humans as much as in Vabbi, but there's a lot of magically significant stuff in Cantha, particularly if the lingering effects of the Jade Wind remain.

> @draxynnic.3719 said:

> Hrrrmn. Cantha might match it. It's not as overt, and probably not overtly utilised by humans as much as in Vabbi, but there's a lot of magically significant stuff in Cantha, particularly if the lingering effects of the Jade Wind remain.

Maybe, but yes, it was much less overtly used as Vabbi used its magic. It's also much more further south.

On the subject of distance, I actually made a map once that plotted the latitudes of several major cities in GW lore, based off of that map texture Anet added to Living world Season 2. The results were actually rather interesting.

![](https://i.imgur.com/zYsIspZ.png "")

Kralk initially awoken and flew south to get rid of Glint. We do know that there is apparently another dragon that had been around Cantha already. What if that was another scion of Glint? Or a previously unknown cleansed Champion of Kralk down there? And perhaps Kralk is making his next attempt to get rid of anothr traitor down south.

> @Zalpharx.2491 said:

> Kralk initially awoken and flew south to get rid of Glint. We do know that there is apparently another dragon that had been around Cantha already. What if that was another scion of Glint? Or a previously unknown cleansed Champion of Kralk down there? And perhaps Kralk is making his next attempt to get rid of anothr traitor down south.

Pretty sure that Aurene was called the 'second scion' somewhere, indicating that Vlast and Aurene are it. Additionally, Kuunavang is certainly no crystal dragon. If the dragons of Cantha are related to an Elder Dragon at all, it'd probably be Scleribubbles.