[Feedback] 10 Days into "Bound by Blood"

Ashantara.8731

Well, not quite 10 days yet, but here we go: :)

## Pros

* Lovely map design.

* Successful event design. Still fun to do even after finishing all achievements (exception: see Cons).

* The concert, even though it kind of breaks immersion, was a hysterically funny idea. Thanks for that!

* Engaging map mechanics of having players work together more.

* Good diversity of events, prevents boredom.

* Farming nodes' respawn cooldown is fair.

* Great cutscenes, excellent camera work.

* Exciting treasure hunt content (Khan-Ur vault, jumping puzzle, tree puzzle).

* Finally a compelling story, one that is _not_ about killing elder dragons.

* Overall a very well done LW episode, looking forward to the saga's continuation.

## Cons

* **Story mission fights** pose no challenge whatsoever.

* The **Strike Mission** is _far_ too easy.

* Too many **"super rare" RNG rewards** again that are not worth the grind (_because_ they are super rare).

* Overall not enough compelling rewards (likely because the exciting ones are locked behind aforementioned RNG).

* The "Teacher's Assistant" event is the most boring one can imagine ("Follow and kill easy mobs."), it feels like a grind.

* "Crazed Fans" kill count feels like a grind, because it takes so long with all the minion masters and pew-pew rangers present (who constantly push the NPCs away from other players).

* Some **audio issues** at several events, occasionally preventing certain dialogue from playing.

* **Dialogue** still too "tongue in cheek" and often very lowbrow.

* Rytlock still talks like he was super annoyed 24/7 - that exhaling at the end of each sentence is driving me crazy!

* Overuse of Braham's voice actor.

Fair, although I disagree with your dialogue comment. Being lowbrow isn't a con when it's in the right context and the bit you refer to is one section of dialogue in what is an otherwise large step up in dialogue. I especially liked the way ambient dialogue was presented organically rather going up to everyone and pressing F. Dialogue in pretty much all areas moves to the pro column for me.

One day I'll get online at sundown to experience the concert, but I'm not too fussed for it either.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Fair, although I disagree with your dialogue comment. Being lowbrow isn't a con when it's in the right context and the bit you refer to is one section of dialogue

No, it is not. For instance, Rytlock still doesn't talk in full sentences (he almost always leaves out the pronoun at the beginning of sentences), and so do many of the other characters, including the Commander. A lot of the dialogue in general sounds too colloquial and modern. I have been criticizing this repeatedly over the years, as it has gotten worse compared to early content. It makes characters sound, how should I put this, less intelligent and mature.

I would add to the list of cons a multitude of achievements that require mindless repetition.

It's fine to have an achievement or two asking to repeat something 20 times. It can be seen as proof of endurance and persistence. However, a dozen achievements of this kind (this episode has at least 13) looks like a desperate attempt to keep people on a map.

> @"Ol Nik.2518" said:

> I would add to the list of cons a multitude of achievements that require mindless repetition.

>

> It's fine to have an achievement or two asking to repeat something 20 times. It can be seen as proof of endurance and persistence. However, a dozen achievements of this kind (this episode has at least 13) looks like a desperate attempt to keep people on a map.

Well, as I said, the only two that I found annoyingly repetitive were the Teacher's Assistant and the Crazed Fans.

As for the rest, repeating their respective content was _fun_ for me. :)

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Fair, although I disagree with your dialogue comment. Being lowbrow isn't a con when it's in the right context and the bit you refer to is one section of dialogue

>

> No, it is not. For instance, Rytlock still doesn't talk in full sentences (he almost always leaves out the pronoun at the beginning of sentences), and so do many of the other characters, including the Commander. **A lot of the dialogue in general sounds too colloquial and modern**. I have been criticizing this repeatedly over the years, as it has gotten worse compared to early content. It makes characters sound, how should I put this, less intelligent and mature.

The one time I noticed this and found it a little jarring was when Braham started a sentence with "Im'ma" .

nice summary.

Anet had a good learning curve, but their problem with reward balance is becoming a recurrent issue, PoF metas take AGES of forum complaints to they adjust the meta rewards. Near all LS4 episodes maps was launched with problems with reward balances or bugs with mobs not dropping loot at all.

If next episode they dedicate more to balance rewards at test, they could reach a 10/10 rating.

> @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> I loved the map and liked the story, but find that I have very little interest in returning after playing there for a few days. The rewards are so underwhelming that it's not worth the time.

Aww, I love many of the events, that's reason enough for me to return. Still have to finish the story on several characters, too. :)

> More garbage unidentified gear, anyone? Sheesh.

It's true, I wish they'd stop with blue and green gear altogether on Lvl 80 maps. It's an annoying chore to salvage/sell those drops.

Still have no clue how to ever finish the Merchandise Collector achievement. Then again, it only rewards 5 AP and I already have the shirt, twice, so...

> > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > More garbage unidentified gear, anyone? Sheesh.

>

> It's true, I wish they'd stop with blue and green gear altogether on Lvl 80 maps. It's an annoying chore to salvage/sell those drops.

But that's one of the best things about this game's loot system. I can literally play whatever content I enjoy that day, and still get loot that lets me save up to get whatever equipment I want for my characters. Personally I enjoy it a lot more than other games where you often have to play a certain content/area/dungeon/whatever because it's the only place where the equipment you want drops, or play the content I enjoy fully knowing that I'm not getting any closer to the equipment I want for my character.

I agree with cons n1,2,3,4 and 10 (if by the last you mean to much use of the va across diff npcs and not too much braham)

Rest im indiferent, overall: Very pleased with the story side of things and the map and disappointed with strike missions amd the boss fight in terms of dificulty.

Solid start to a new story arc imo and the charr are hella refreshing. And whoever did the concert bit should get a raise if they're still with the company.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> Personally I enjoy it a lot more than other games where you often have to play a certain content/area/dungeon/whatever because it's the only place where the equipment you want drops

You _want_ blues and greens as event rewards? :o

> @"XatraZaytrax.2601" said:

> I like all the unidentifed gear. It is a good source of mats

Sure, as drops from enemies, not as event rewards.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> Well, a blue unid'd gear could theoretically contain exotic gear. I mean, if you've been playing long enough, the only direct rewards that are useful are ascended, legendary, and cosmetics. Everything else is just currency.

All my characters are already fully equipped with ascended or legendary gear, so no, those are not what I am asking for. Cool new skins or unique mounts apart from grinding just one specific content, or items I can salvage HoT and other materials with that I don't need (or anything QoL, really) - those would make for interesting rewards on a new map. Or at least more sources for the unique exotics. Or a collection of event items that you can combine into something special. Having 99.99% rewards that give you the same containers that any regular open world enemy can drop are not fitting rewards. Use your imagination, ANet!

> > @"Ol Nik.2518" said:

> > I would add to the list of cons a multitude of achievements that require mindless repetition.

> >

> > It's fine to have an achievement or two asking to repeat something 20 times. It can be seen as proof of endurance and persistence. However, a dozen achievements of this kind (this episode has at least 13) looks like a desperate attempt to keep people on a map.

>

> Well, as I said, the only two that I found annoyingly repetitive were the Teacher's Assistant and the Crazed Fans.

>

> As for the rest, repeating their respective content was _fun_ for me. :)

I am sorry I did not find Pest Control (destroy 100 devourer nests), Generation Gap (kill 25 youth charrs), Renowned Seeker (win 20 games of hide-and-seek), or Amateur Mixologist (serve 30 drinks in the Rank 'n' File Pub) achievements as fun as you did. I wonder what makes them enjoyable for you. It might help me to see things from another perspective.

> @"Ol Nik.2518" said:

> I am sorry I did not find Pest Control (destroy 100 devourer nests), Generation Gap (kill 25 youth charrs), Renowned Seeker (win 20 games of hide-and-seek), or Amateur Mixologist (serve 30 drinks in the Rank 'n' File Pub) achievements as fun as you did. I wonder what makes them enjoyable for you. It might help me to see things from another perspective.

1. You don't kill the charr youth, you chase them off the property. ;) You monster. :p

2. Those are achievements, and they were all quickly done. As I stated many times before, the only two grinds in my book were the Crazed Fans and Kasmeer's Illusions (the former because of the Minion Masters and Pew-Pew Rangers, the latter because the whole event is boring).

3. I did not say I enjoyed grinding for achievements but that I enjoy (most of) the events. When you have fun doing them, those "grinds" become, well, just doing events. :) "Pest Control" I did along the way while playing content, by the way, and the same goes for the events: one pops up, I hop in.

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Fair, although I disagree with your dialogue comment. Being lowbrow isn't a con when it's in the right context and the bit you refer to is one section of dialogue

>

> No, it is not. For instance, Rytlock still doesn't talk in full sentences (he almost always leaves out the pronoun at the beginning of sentences), and so do many of the other characters, including the Commander. A lot of the dialogue in general sounds too colloquial and modern. I have been criticizing this repeatedly over the years, as it has gotten worse compared to early content. It makes characters sound, how should I put this, less intelligent and mature.

so let it be written, so let it be done

> > @"Ol Nik.2518" said:

> > I am sorry I did not find Pest Control (destroy 100 devourer nests), Generation Gap (kill 25 youth charrs), Renowned Seeker (win 20 games of hide-and-seek), or Amateur Mixologist (serve 30 drinks in the Rank 'n' File Pub) achievements as fun as you did. I wonder what makes them enjoyable for you. It might help me to see things from another perspective.

>

> 1. You don't kill the charr youth, you chase them off the property. ;) You monster. :p

> 2. Those are achievements, and they were all quickly done. As I stated many times before, the only two grinds in my book were the Crazed Fans and Kasmeer's Illusions (the former because of the Minion Masters and Pew-Pew Rangers, the latter because the whole event is boring).

> 3. I did not say I enjoyed grinding for achievements but that I enjoy (most of) the events. When you have fun doing them, those "grinds" become, well, just doing events. :) "Pest Control" I did along the way while playing content, by the way, and the same goes for the events: one pops up, I hop in.

I did not realise that you wanted feedback on your feedback. Sorry about that.