Senior players

I'm 48, will turn 49 in Oct, and I find this game great.

The only real downside I have is a personal one: I can't skill chain. Either my fingers are too slow, I don't really know what chains with what and why, or I'm using the wrong weapon.

A build calls for s/s, but I really like the look of my character using a/d. Or I don't like the skins of the warhorns in my inventory so I don't use it as much. I'm that vain.

But I do change every once in a while. Old Charr can be taught new tricks.

> @"DaVid Darksoul.4985" said:

> Apologies for typing, I never had secretarial training, I never learned to type.

No probs, anyone on the net learns fast how to read if there are typos. You seem to have something in your OP that put everything in a scroll box with one line though.

Guilds exist for different demographics, which then break down by PVE PVP WVW and the usual stuff.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"DaVid Darksoul.4985" said:

> > > Good counter points, and by the way I am 59. Guess I could have elaborated more. Many events were deemed too hard and dumbed down to hold interest, with the result being a lack of interest as I observed. My observations could be flawed, no one perceives things in the same ways so I apologize for speaking for others. I still do not care f or the story line, nor the characters.

> > >

> > Too hard _and_ dumbed down? Sounds a bit contradictory; at least, to me.

>

> Tsk, Cedo! You don't usually misread :) That line was saying *because* events were deemed too hard they then *were* dumbed down, not both at once.

>

> I will weigh in as someone who did the grind stuff years ago and am happy enough for shorter attention span stuff now. I'll be 54 on Monday. I'm happy with the current difficulty level, in part because I like feeling competent at something, heh. I've played a lot these past seven years, so I think some of the sense of the game getting easier lies in me getting better at it. There are definitely parts that are too hard for me, eg Liadri and Turai Ossai or any timed jp that needs precision jumps mostly always to one side (darn you, Clocktower). But the bulk of PvE is within my skill level and I'm good enough at it to be helpful to others that need guidance. I'd be willing to raid with friends, I have raided in the past in WoW and in GW2 and chewing glass is fun. However I don't feel the lack of it in my current play.

>

> I agree that the NPE dumbed down the starter maps too much. Even back in beta and early launch, when I didn't know anything about how the game worked and was stuck in WoW habits, the starter zones were amazing fun discoveries rather than confusing complexities. I still yearn for how they were. Overall, however, the game offers plenty to do and remains engaging for me.

Oh, my bad. I guess, for me, it needed the word 'were'.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > The game suffered many dumbdowns thru time, which took much fun from the game, us older players like the satisfaction of earning our rewards not exerting token effort for them.

> Correction. I don't know about you, but i liked that when i was way younger, had more energy and more free time to spend on those types of games. Now i just want a laid-back experience. And from what i understand, that kind of attitude is actually more common among old players. Yes, there are those that look back with fond reminiscence at "old, good days of gaming, when we had to work for what we've got, and we were proud of it", but from my experience, even some of those players do not, in fact, want to _play_ those games anymore. Many just _think_ they do, but when given opportunity to do so, they find that they remembered only the good parts, and forgotten the bad ones (and why they stopped playing those games at some point).

There's also people like me (admittedly below the OP's stated age range, as I'm only in my mid-30s) who do genuinely still enjoy long or difficult games but will never have time to finish them. I still replay a lot of the games I did when I was younger (I have a love/hate relationship with GoG, it's great but expensive) and I still enjoy them, but now if i want a challenge I have 3 choices:

1) Accept I'll never finish it

2) Find short but difficult games

3) Find games where I can change the difficulty as I'm going along, turning it up when I think the challenge would be fun and down so I can plow through normal enemies quickly.

The first is kind of disappointing, and the second and third are easier said than done, especially because so many games with different difficulty levels simply ramp up the enemies health and damage so doing it on a harder difficulty doesn't actually require any better tactics or knowledge and isn't any more fun, it just takes longer.

Since I also enjoy long RPGs my current preference is games where I can tailor the difficulty by choosing my build - for example making it harder for myself by using something I know is more complicated than it needs to be but which I find fun. For example in GW2 my main character is a ranger in vipers/rabid gear using a shortbow, sword/torch and traps. I can afford to mis-time a dodge or run through an AoE but I need to think about my rotation and positioning to get the best effect, especially if I'm trying to CC a breakbar. I have to get in close to lay the traps, dodge/leap away, use my pet to draw aggro and then position myself behind/beside them to use the shortbow skills, all in a few seconds, then go in close again to hit them with the sword while they're stunned. Not the end of the world if it doesn't work but it's fun to try. When I'm fighting champions solo I often get more preoccuiped with their break bar than their health, more than once I've been caught by surprise when they died before I was 'finished'.

Also, along the lines of builds making a huge difference there's quite a few games I remember being super-hard when I originally played them which I've replayed recently and had to put it down to the fact that I was a child and didn't have a clue what I was doing because it's really not that hard now. (I was about 8 when I first discovered RPGs, believed my dad when he said there's no need to read the manual, and didn't know what words like constitution or dexterity meant anyway.)

Edit: Or, if you time it right you can add difficulty by doing stupid things, like attempting the Forged with Fire meta event with 2-4 players total. :D

> @"DaVid Darksoul.4985" said:

> I noticed quite some time ago of the vast amount of players in the 40+ age range and also many families. I have also noticed how much of the game wasn't geared to those demographics. The game suffered many dumbdowns thru time, which took much fun from the game, us older players like the satisfaction of earning our rewards not exerting token effort for them. Also the story line and characters are pretty cringy, especially the characters. I have a hard time playing thru, just recently saved the lava dragon and went to CD, (a hated WvW rival). WvW is my main refuge and right now seems to have become somewhat meh, but still better then PvE. My point is that Anet needs to maybe consider us old people more and factor that into their decisions. Well that's my mind, any opinions or ideas u got, lets hear them. Anet might hear them.

I honestly dont no how anet did it. For a dev team so pve focused have created the most mind numbing boring pve experience. I'm usually the one person of all my buds who game who has the most positive opinion on games storylines of all kinds even when I'm in the minority but man for all the lack of focus on their pvp modes the pve is atrociously dull lol. I started this game yrs ago for the pve and wouldn't have made it past a few months if not for tge pvp. I tried out eso couple months back and man what a difference in immersion. The combat wasn't great for me at first but use I got used to it it actually is almost up there with gw2's for me ad its fast, action like and very deep with very high skill and build deversity. Although class standardization may change that a bit if they go that route lol anyway I agree wvw was a pretty cool mode in gw2

In the past. I feel like the devs lack of support for the mode has really effected it and its population. Warclaw was in my opinion another step to making wvw more pve centric unfortunately and with little new things on the horizon to freshen things up the population is only going to drop further which is sad.