If they were free & unlimited, how many Build Template tabs would you use on your most played char?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Dahkeus.8243" said:

> I change my build a LOT, but that doesn't mean that I need a build template for every single time I do that. Especially since you have a different set up for PvP/WvW already.

>

> Maybe I'm underestimating how much I'll actually swap between power and condi builds in PvE and maybe it will actually be a bit more, but I expect a lot of people are vastly overestimating how many actual templates they will honestly need.

You won't anymore after the patch.

Your current PvE, WvW and PvP "Templates" you get automatically switched when going into these gamemodes are turned into the 3 baseline Templates, on top of which you can buy only 3 more for a maximum of 6.

So even if you just have 2 PvP Builds (lets's say support, sidenoder), 2 WvW builds (Roamer, Zerk build) and a Support, Tank, Hybrid, Condi DPS and Power DPS for PvE, as well as just a single Open World Build, you are already at 10 Builds.

And that is only if you still do any more minor adjustments, like stat differences between Raids and Fractals due to free stats, or swapping out Traitlines and Utilities per boss/fractal/instability, by hand.

Which with many builds across many different professions can become quite a pain to remember all your stat caps/sweet spots for Crit chance, BD etc. especially when taking various Traits across professions into account which change what you need via stats per character, making it often easier to just have a template for it you can access with just 2 clicks and know everything is right, at least for me.

If you are an enthusiast about build making like me, and tailoring your build to different content and challenges is half the fun of the game for you (often times I go and play some content just because I want to explore some new build idea, when otherwise I wouldn't be playing at all), in part because you have been playing this same content for almost a decade now and the different builds you are running is the only variety still available to make a lot of things more interesting, then being capped to only 6 builds (after you have payed up) can put quite the dampener on your enjoyment of the game.

All in all these limitations are just such needless inconvenience, which for such an essential core feature like Templates which players like me make use of constantly, can have a heavy impact on the enjoyment of the game, and besides monetisation, there really doesn't seem to be any other reason for them, which is disappointing (considering a free and easy to use tool which did Templates better was available).

Also, considering my loading screens are so long I can't even swap a character in the time before a PvP match starts without missing the crucial start, it's not like I really have the option to just buy slots and make 3+ characters of each profession to solve this issue, as that would still come with major inconvenience for myself and anyone I'm playing with, having to wait for 3+ minutes for me to swap in Raids etc, until I've gone through the 2-3 Loading screen to get back in there.

Besides already having invested into multiple legendary Armors for all mainly played characters just to not have to do that, due to how well Arc worked with Legendary gear, doesn't make that option any more appealing.

The reason I'm passionate about this subject and criticising the direction Anet is going in heavily is because I'm genuinely worried it will make me not enjoy the game anymore over time with all the additional hassle and limitations constantly being in the way of just having fun and enjoying the game (and my builds), which considering I've been with this franchise for 14 years and got great groups of people to play content like Raids and Fractals with, would truly be a shame.

Of course I know that making quick low effort millions just via selling some Tabs in a UI is well worth losing a bunch of players like me, but it's a shame nontheless.

I use my Rev for everything and every role. I experiment almost every day I play it and always change things depending on the game mode I am playing, but still do have my more-or-less "go-to" builds. A lot of the builds I use may be garbage and meme-tier, but they are still builds I play because I enjoy them. 18-29 is no exaggeration, although currently it is currently closer to 20.

In GW I used the text string to share builds. I used them just to try out different builds, but once I settled on one, I rarely changed it.

I have never missed having builds in GW2, so I assume I will use 1 or 2. Just like in GW. I will try a couple tweaks and see which I like. I have never felt the need to switch out builds. But, I see no problem with unlimited (if it is feasible).

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> 2 for each is sufficient enough. Kinda feels like anet wasted thier time making this. So few need so many. So who would cater to. The few or the many.

So, 18 days since this was posted and 213 votes equals a complete cross-reference of the entire player base? Or you don't need it so why bother doing it?

If build tabs were #1 account wide and #2 one click, I would use them on all my toons all the time.

Instead, because for some god awful reason they made builds and equipment separate (even though they are directly integrated in how you play a character) and they're milking it for all it's worth in the cash shop, and it's per toon instead of account wide, I most likely will not use the build tab system at all. Both out of protest, and out of pocket.

hiding classes diversity behind a wall of grind and money was one of the worst design decisions. i miss the build freedom from the first gw. i had lots of build and so much fun changing my playstyle on daily base. gw1 was about to play the game any way you want at any time, gw2 just grind, grind, grind or pay arenanet money :/ and when you're done with it, you notice that there are virtually no more demanding contents :D

> @"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:

> I use my Rev for everything and every role. I experiment almost every day I play it and always change things depending on the game mode I am playing, but still do have my more-or-less "go-to" builds. A lot of the builds I use may be garbage and meme-tier, but they are still builds I play because I enjoy them. 18-29 is no exaggeration, although currently it is currently closer to 20.

>

>

Yep, easily could have 6+ for WvW, 6+ for raids and at least that many again for fun open world fun and experimenting. And one could have that many builds on each class except maybe warrior and thief, which could still have far more than 6 each...

There you go. I really have mostly two different builds. That's be cause I usually min/max and use best-in-slot gear. So I invest a lot of a build and keep it for months/years be cause it is a hassle and annoying to have multiple gears/traits etc. I would probably experiment a bit, if it wasn't so expensive, time consuming etc. to craft other gear. Luckily, I have a quite some legendaries, but even then. You have so many aspects of your gear to change, that I just don't bother too much. I mostly run the PvE meta stuff for all classes.