• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Mil.3562" said:

> > > > @"Trinnitty.8256" said:

> > > > not gonna lie, a bit worried for anet. rough year :(

> > >

> > > With the kind of decisions they are making this year, I see not only they are chasing loyal players away, now game developers and directors couldn't take it too...

> > Actually, it seems MO and the others were working on GW3 for the last 2 years (which means gw2 was meant to be abandoned - that's probably the reason why we got no expac after LS4).

> >

> > https://kotaku.com/source-departing-arenanet-president-was-working-on-pot-1838755217

> >

> > So, it's not the current decisions that chased those devs away. It's those devs that gave up on this game long ago.

> >

>

> That's what NCSoft cut down beginning of the year, isn't it. A bit reordering ANet afterwards, successfully finished with the start of LS5. No he goes to follow his interests somewhere else.

My point is that it seems his (and the whole team of people that left with him) interest was obviously somewhere else even those 2 years ago already. It was _not_ in gw2.

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"SnowMochi.7602" said:

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > > > > Sorry you got sacked Mike, I wish you success in your future endevours.

> > > >

> > > > Pretty sure Mike O'Brien stated it was his decision to leave.

> > >

> > > We don't know what actually transpired, but if he did get fired, it's not the sort of thing one admits in a public post. It looks better for his reputation to say he left of his own volition. Potential backers or backers he's courting for his new company will have more confidence in investing.

> >

> > So, you believe these potential backers would not be able to find the truth? I'd guess telling fibs would not instill much confidence.

>

> This ^

>

> Then again I think those thinking of backing MO in any new venture would only need to look at what he and he cohorts managed to deliver for so long thus making self exit or forced exit kind of irrelevant.. I wonder if this had any bearing on MZ looking a little down in the dumps at the live event.. hmm

> Anyhow it's all irrelevant from here on in, ANET have a talented team with licence to put forth their own creative juices into the game and that is what they should be judged on, not what someone else did or did not do previously.

Not if it was handled the same way the layoffs were- where an ultimatum was given saying positions needed to be cut or they would be cut for Anet at a time, place, and fashion beyond their control.

So it's plausible at first being asked to leave and being given the opportunity to go out while saving face that way for all concerned, rather than ignoring the letter and and being the last one to know when a trade magazine with 'insider knowledge' announces that you've been sacked.

And either way whether or not someone is going to be able to sniff something out. It's still more frowned upon by former employers and future ones if someone dishes on their former employer after leaving. Then you lose trust and on the off chance you're beautiful upstart dream goes down in flames and you have to go hat in hand for a more mundane job working for someone else chances are nobody will hire you in that field ever again.

> @"Iozeph.5617" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"SnowMochi.7602" said:

> > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > > > > > Sorry you got sacked Mike, I wish you success in your future endevours.

> > > > >

> > > > > Pretty sure Mike O'Brien stated it was his decision to leave.

> > > >

> > > > We don't know what actually transpired, but if he did get fired, it's not the sort of thing one admits in a public post. It looks better for his reputation to say he left of his own volition. Potential backers or backers he's courting for his new company will have more confidence in investing.

> > >

> > > So, you believe these potential backers would not be able to find the truth? I'd guess telling fibs would not instill much confidence.

> >

> > This ^

> >

> > Then again I think those thinking of backing MO in any new venture would only need to look at what he and he cohorts managed to deliver for so long thus making self exit or forced exit kind of irrelevant.. I wonder if this had any bearing on MZ looking a little down in the dumps at the live event.. hmm

> > Anyhow it's all irrelevant from here on in, ANET have a talented team with licence to put forth their own creative juices into the game and that is what they should be judged on, not what someone else did or did not do previously.

>

> Not if it was handled the same way the layoffs were- where an ultimatum was given saying positions needed to be cut or they would be cut for Anet at a time, place, and fashion beyond their control.

>

> So it's plausible at first being asked to leave and being given the opportunity to go out while saving face that way for all concerned, rather than ignoring the letter and and being the last one to know when a trade magazine with 'insider knowledge' announces that you've been sacked.

>

> And either way whether or not someone is going to be able to sniff something out. It's still more frowned upon by former employers and future ones if someone dishes on their former employer after leaving. Then you lose trust and on the off chance you're beautiful upstart dream goes down in flames and you have to go hat in hand for a more mundane job working for someone else chances are nobody will hire you in that field ever again.

Again your just making stuff up just for the sake of it.. you or I have no clue as to was has gone down, all we know is MO and others have left/are leaving and something new is on the horizon for them. By the way, what is all this about someone dishing dirt on the company after they leave... do you really see MO as someone that would do that to the very thing he was an instrumental part in creating and making the dream happen for the last 19years... I'd like to think he has a little more up top than that.

As for the likes of Kotuku snapping a piece part story together from the whispers and rumours of others, that will most likely already being put onto the hot press for release, whether such a story would be news worthy or even creditable.. well we will all have to wait and judge for ourselves I guess.

Nah I am petty sure MO will be just fine, he would have zero reason to lie about anything whether he was removed or left on his own free will.

His reputation and that of his co founders and co workers speaks for itself and the legacy of his and their toils lives on through others now, many I would hazard a guess they have helped nurture within ANET.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> Im curious if ncsoft would someone to take over the position MO was occupying or someone else from anet take over or left vacant.

>

> Also all the work mo amd his team did is still at anet so who know what that can lead to a few years down the line.

According to the press, an NCSoft West representative has taken over (or took over some time ago).

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Mil.3562" said:

> > > > > @"Trinnitty.8256" said:

> > > > > not gonna lie, a bit worried for anet. rough year :(

> > > >

> > > > With the kind of decisions they are making this year, I see not only they are chasing loyal players away, now game developers and directors couldn't take it too...

> > > Actually, it seems MO and the others were working on GW3 for the last 2 years (which means gw2 was meant to be abandoned - that's probably the reason why we got no expac after LS4).

> > >

> > > https://kotaku.com/source-departing-arenanet-president-was-working-on-pot-1838755217

> > >

> > > So, it's not the current decisions that chased those devs away. It's those devs that gave up on this game long ago.

> > >

> >

> > That's what NCSoft cut down beginning of the year, isn't it. A bit reordering ANet afterwards, successfully finished with the start of LS5. No he goes to follow his interests somewhere else.

> My point is that it seems his (and the whole team of people that left with him) interest was obviously somewhere else even those 2 years ago already. It was _not_ in gw2.

He worked for Arenanet, not GW2, Inc.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > Im curious if ncsoft would someone to take over the position MO was occupying or someone else from anet take over or left vacant.

> >

> > Also all the work mo amd his team did is still at anet so who know what that can lead to a few years down the line.

>

> According to the press, an NCSoft West representative has taken over (or took over some time ago).

Oh boy.

> @"Super Hayes.6890" said:

> Wow, you guys really didn't get the hint. This is an appreciation thread for someone that deserves more than a thank you thread. Take your debates and theories to other threads please.

Okay, thanks Mike, I had a good time playing your game.

We don't do subtle where I'm from, so be more specific! Hints are for the birds.

Thanks for everything to Mike O.

Imo. It's the only decision he can make if he isnt allowed to grow beyond GW2 or even simply put creativity in other projects.

It could be the last half year would've been a transitional period. From the lay offs until now. But it doesn't really matter. What matters is what happens moving forward.

I am with Guild Wars from 2005, thank you MO and the Team for the everything!

p.s. May suggest for the future to use more clear combat logic, hire someone who designed gw1 battle logic :)

Currently in gw2 it's more spam with unpredictable result, and hard visual noise.

but must be stone-scissors-paper logic and good visible visualization, need to return to basics :)

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Mil.3562" said:

> > > @"Trinnitty.8256" said:

> > > not gonna lie, a bit worried for anet. rough year :(

> >

> > With the kind of decisions they are making this year, I see not only they are chasing loyal players away, now game developers and directors couldn't take it too...

> Actually, it seems MO and the others were working on GW3 for the last 2 years (which means gw2 was meant to be abandoned - that's probably the reason why we got no expac after LS4).

>

> https://kotaku.com/source-departing-arenanet-president-was-working-on-pot-1838755217

>

> So, it's not the current decisions that chased those devs away. It's those devs that gave up on this game long ago.

>

If thats true then its even worse than i thought. That means they saw the writing on the wall for gw2 and wanted to make gw3 to take over.

This game has had mediocre to poor leadership for a long time - basically since it launched. Anet reviews are rife with complaints about excessive project churn/failure, disengaged/siloed department heads, and failure to appropriate money for worthwhile endeavors. This excess of bureaucracy is clearly visible in the way the game has been developed ever since it launched, namely how slow feature releases and iteration are despite Anet having a staff of over 200 people, and shows how unprepared Anet leadership was to move so quickly into the AAA space.

I'm not sure to what extent this falls to Mike O, or Colin, or Mike Z, or NCSoft, but it's clear that a culture shift is needed. I just hope this change takes the game in a better direction instead of a worse one. One that will increase focus on gameplay features and repeatable, immersive content over mobile-style monetization and over-emphasis on story & zerg gameplay.

> @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Mil.3562" said:

> > > > @"Trinnitty.8256" said:

> > > > not gonna lie, a bit worried for anet. rough year :(

> > >

> > > With the kind of decisions they are making this year, I see not only they are chasing loyal players away, now game developers and directors couldn't take it too...

> > Actually, it seems MO and the others were working on GW3 for the last 2 years (which means gw2 was meant to be abandoned - that's probably the reason why we got no expac after LS4).

> >

> > https://kotaku.com/source-departing-arenanet-president-was-working-on-pot-1838755217

> >

> > So, it's not the current decisions that chased those devs away. It's those devs that gave up on this game long ago.

> >

>

> If thats true then its even worse than i thought. That means they saw the writing on the wall for gw2 and wanted to make gw3 to take over.

I don't think it was due to how GW2 was doing - 2 years ago it was doing quite fine, actually. It's the effect of siphoning resources to those other projects that created the situation we are in now. Personally, i think that some people just wanted to do New Things, instead of being tied to a single project.

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> This game has had mediocre to poor leadership for a long time - basically since it launched. Anet reviews are rife with complaints about excessive project churn/failure, disengaged/siloed department heads, and failure to appropriate money for worthwhile endeavors. This excess of bureaucracy is clearly visible in the way the game has been developed ever since it launched, namely how slow feature releases and iteration are despite Anet having a staff of over 200 people, and shows how unprepared Anet leadership was to move so quickly into the AAA space.

>

> I'm not sure to what extent this falls to Mike O, or Colin, or Mike Z, or NCSoft, but it's clear that a culture shift is needed. I just hope this change takes the game in a better direction instead of a worse one. One that will increase focus on gameplay features and repeatable, immersive content over mobile-style monetization and over-emphasis on story.

The slow they took to change simple basic UI stuff, a clearly 2d ui API demonstrate this. For example the grouping of LFG screen took months, basically a drop down menu.