[Feature Request] GW2 PvE Hard Mode - New perspective from already existing assets.

Shao.7236

So I had this on going want to create an "ironman" account because for the most part I feel like the game is too conveniently easy now while there is a lot of content to actually give more meaning to, I actually came up with a wish list/request of feature to Anet which aren't really hard to implement at all as it could also spice up or even maybe revive places from the game in a way or other. So here they are;

1. Food that keeps you alive and going.

With simple debuffs, it would be easy to keep players engaged into having food at all times with debuffs that would eventually be their doom based on the timers of these debuffs and Tyrian time. Those debuffs should include the already Malnourished that diminishes all stats by 10% to keep a sense of scale with levels then the eventual starvation where health slowly depletes and healing skills/health related boons are ineffective until Food is finally consumed again or the player is defeated over time by the inflicted debuff.

2. Enhancements that keeps your gear relevant.

With more simple debuffs that follows Diminished, this debuff reduces the damage player inflicts by 10% and increases damage taken by 10%.

3. No Trading Post, No Gem Store Items. (No Laurel Traders? No Daily Rewards? No Tomes and Boosters?)

This one may seem complicated and harsh but it contributes to the scarcity. Should Ascended or even Legendary gear be craftable? Daily Rewards be completely unified on normal and hard mode characters to avoid generating loop holes? Mystic Coins be the only interchangeable item along with Laurels for Ascended crafting possibilities? Mystic Coins cannot be sold as a profit without the Trading Post, neither Laurels.. They can boost a player Resources but also make the latter of certain craftable things realistic and only stuck behind a long time gate, nobody would be crazy enough to spend all their Laurels on this hard mode character, should the Laurel merchants have certain options like easy gear removed.

4. Currencies, Recipes, Bank/Resource tabs are separate from the main account.

This one is fairly obvious, as a new start should nobody have the ability to easily support themselves. However if one person decides to delete or give up on this mode, all ressources should be transferable in a 1-way through to the main account. I would go as far as give an reasonable universal bank with no resource tab and disable deposit altogether, adding to the influence of time and limited space.

5. Defeat doesn't change anything.

That would be asking too much from Anet and honestly gear loss is not really something achievable here with the already existing game assets. Also, should the player die from starvation, his buffs are reset to give a chance of success.

6. All crafting tables are available.

This sounds stupid and probably counter intuitive to the already existing way Anet has monitized it, but given that hard mode players are extremely limited by scarcity and cannot access the Trading Post or abudant ressources, it makes up for convenience and skill sets to dependence as well as making hard mode characters unreliable for crafting gear in the normal game.

7. Hard mode players can still share items via mail.

So part of me, really feel like while people are gonna be extremely dependant into the limited world, if one party friend or player in hard mode finds or have an item you could use better than them, should this item be possible to share! To be fair, it seems like this is where everything falls apart in because of the trading aspect but, I highly doubt people will share or enjoy along strangers and not their friends regardless. Rarely do people ever share what they get anyway.

8. Hard mode players can be identified via icon on their name.

Fairly simple display of their will to try the game differently while hitting on events and other activities, because there's no way that we should ask Anet to adjust everything for solo content.

9. This can be a dedicated character slot.

And it could also be monetized so that all of efforts put for the mode to exist are not simply free, I would pay for this personally and it's far from too complex as a demand. I can imagine seeing players that would love to take on the PvE aspect of the game again with greater stakes that are simple to add.

To be honest, from what already exists. It's technically possible to achieve all of it with a new account and the simple immersion, but wouldn't having the actual debuffs, risks and stakes be more fun afterall?

I can imagine myself playing the game anew with all these rules just to enjoy from a deeper perspective all the content Anet has already created, because at the end of the day. There isn't as much to mess with anymore which I really wish there was, this could keep a lot of people engaged to the already existing content while not affecting the core game whatsoever!

A tyrian day is 2 hours IRL, so it wouldn't be difficult to live off of a few loaves of bread (0 cooking, all ingredients sold by vendors) or even racial food found in cities or racial hearts.

The trading aspect would also be a problem, since people could mail themselves resources (or proxy it through another player).

Maybe if you increased all npc prices by 1g across the board...?

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> A tyrian day is 2 hours IRL, so it wouldn't be difficult to live off of a few loaves of bread (0 cooking, all ingredients sold by vendors) or even racial food found in cities or racial hearts.

To the least benefits as well as acknowledging that money/karma will never be generated in mass for a while and time will be very important, it probably sounds silly but those extra layers can be fun.

To be honest, the whole concept of food is only the tip compared the gear part of things, which is based on loot luck or the player gathering resources and experience to craft the better equipment to venture more easily.

> The trading aspect would also be a problem, since people could mail themselves resources (or proxy it through another player).

Only Hard mode players would be able to share resources if any. So this basically creates a whole entire economy outside of the normal game and only 1 way towards the normal game if the character was to be deleted as I have mentioned. Players wouldn't be able to share gear coming from a normal character and all currencies would be set to 0.

> Maybe if you increased all npc prices by 1g across the board...?

Maybe, making a gold isn't so simple without the TP and having to buy stuff constantly from NPCs can tip the balance back and forth for a while. Should one person decide to live off low level food until then seems okay but doesn't change the Enhancements perspective.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > which aren't really hard to implement at all

>

> Do you have any idea how much coding would be involved in something like this? Especially for features that change some of the core game functions like bank and currencies.

Creating a pool of entities to store and separates from the normal account entire sharing of currencies and can be merged after isn't as far fetched as it seems, given that I'm asking for features that already exists or require minor tweaks to work. Afaik, the biggest problem that prevents me or anyone from starting anew over the same account and roleplay the idea is the fact we have no where to put the money or everything we already gathered permanently, still being the other features to add on top as well. I remember also currencies not being consumable before, besides coins maybe they should just take up a inventory slot for ease on Anets part?

As for debuffs, it's quite simple. They're just debuffs on timers that should follow suit to their effects that I can confirm already exist in the game. They're the easiest part of the request here really. I think the hardest part to put in would be indeed the separation of the currencies over normal characters to grant hard characters their own. To Anets credit I am not fond with how their engine works, but it can't be rocket science to implement the conditions and block features as a whole, while the currencies could require some feature design.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> And all of it can be monetized, that's the best part.

You get it! It's a simple change yet can be engaging to the seasoned players with real changes while profitable for Anet old content as well as selling the design through the gemstore, win/win I say.

> @"Shao.7236" said:

> Creating a pool of entities to store and separates from the normal account entire sharing of currencies and can be merged after isn't as far fetched as it seems, given that I'm asking for features that already exists or require minor tweaks to work. Afaik, the biggest problem that prevents me or anyone from starting anew over the same account and roleplay the idea is the fact we have no where to put the money or everything we already gathered permanently, still being the other features to add on top as well. I remember also currencies not being consumable before, besides coins maybe they should just take up a inventory slot for ease on Anets part?

>

> As for debuffs, it's quite simple. They're just debuffs on timers that should follow suit to their effects that I can confirm already exist in the game. They're the easiest part of the request here really. I think the hardest part to put in would be indeed the separation of the currencies over normal characters to grant hard characters their own. To Anets credit I am not fond with how their engine works, but it can't be rocket science to implement the conditions and block features as a whole, while the currencies could require some feature design.

The bigger problem i see is they've said multiple times that editing their storage isnt easy for them to accomplish, despite how easy people think it is, it took them a great bit of effort to add more items to the banks, making a clone or a separate storage would probably be just as, if not harder.

On top of that, how many players would use this? I think, very few. Given how casual this game is, the amount of effort required for this might not be to ANETS benefit at all. Im all for a hard mode(Which will never happen), but this is another beast entirely.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> Good news! "They" already made that game!

> https://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/ARK_Survival_Evolved/

>

> You're welcome.

Or Rust, but they aren't as great because of the "You're still in game even thought you're not there." factor. This is more of a solo actual PvE experience (Friends can still be there though.), just some fun thoughts about GW2 as a whole since the whole concept is technically possible with all the already existing content. Definitely going to have some fun with an Ironman with an new account though, only lacking the actual extra features.