What do you miss from GW that you would like to have in GW2?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**Elite skill capping** - I cannot stress how much I loved that, the idea of needing to beat a foe that used the elite to take it for yourself was awesome. It made getting skills enjoyable and led to taking others out to cap a skill they needed.

**GW1 style Missions and Dungeons** Good repeatable content. Missions that you would end up doing over a lot of times, going with guild mates to help etc, and places like Slavers which was a really enjoyable type of dungeon, facing groups of foes that were challenging instead of 1 giant foe all the time.

**Dervish** Which to me was by far the most enjoyable class. *sigh*

> @Panda.1967 said:

> 9. **Elite Skills that were actually ELITE** - GW2 elite skills are a joke... most of them are hardly even worth using... massive cooldowns for such little benefit... most of the elites in GW2 are, in all honesty, weaker than utility skills of the same effect/use. Elite skills in GW1 were powerful, many of them had short or no CD, they were the cornerstone of builds. In GW2 they feel more like afterthoughts.

First off, I 1000% agree with you here. Overall, elite skills in GW2 are underwhelming due to their massive CDs. Elite specs have more or less fixed this, but core and racial elite skills are still awful for their CDs, and need to be looked at. However, since GW2 doesn't have an energy mechanic, the only thing they can do to a skill to keep its use in check is to tweak its CD. As much as I love not having mana/energy as a core mechanic for each class, this is a huge downside of this decision. It means that some skills that are supposed to only be used "rarely" (ie at the cost of all of your other skills, since it used all of your mana at once) end up with massive CDs that don't justify their intended effects

> @OriOri.8724 said:

> > @Panda.1967 said:

> > 9. **Elite Skills that were actually ELITE** - GW2 elite skills are a joke... most of them are hardly even worth using... massive cooldowns for such little benefit... most of the elites in GW2 are, in all honesty, weaker than utility skills of the same effect/use. Elite skills in GW1 were powerful, many of them had short or no CD, they were the cornerstone of builds. In GW2 they feel more like afterthoughts.

>

> First off, I 1000% agree with you here. Overall, elite skills in GW2 are underwhelming due to their massive CDs. Elite specs have more or less fixed this, but core and racial elite skills are still awful for their CDs, and need to be looked at. However, since GW2 doesn't have an energy mechanic, the only thing they can do to a skill to keep its use in check is to tweak its CD. As much as I love not having mana/energy as a core mechanic for each class, this is a huge downside of this decision. It means that some skills that are supposed to only be used "rarely" (ie at the cost of all of your other skills, since it used all of your mana at once) end up with massive CDs that don't justify their intended effects

If EVERY player has one skill that's completely bonkers OP (their elite), wouldn't that be balanced in itself?

* Necromancer corpse and minion functionality

In addition to many aspects of GW1 that I would like in GW2 that have already been outlined by others, I truly miss the behavior of the necromancer and its minion control and corpse utilization. Choosing which corpses and when to utilize them for aoe damage, aoe healing, or to resurrect as a minion which then required upkeep was fun, challenging _and_ rewarding.

Minions were originally with no active minion cap (that I recall - I think I managed upward of 25 or 30~ active at one time) - it was up to the abilities of the player to manage their skills and time and control their encounters in order to maintain a small army of minions.

The minion cap added further into the game's life (vaguely recall it being 6 or 8ish) was disappointing to me, but not nearly as disappointing as it was seeing what was done to minions in GW2 at launch and worse still that nothing has really been done to fix their broken behavior since, let alone improve and build upon them.

> @StinVec.3621 said:

> * Necromancer corpse and minion functionality

> In addition to many aspects of GW1 that I would like in GW2 that have already been outlined by others, I truly miss the behavior of the necromancer and its minion control and corpse utilization. Choosing which corpses and when to utilize them for aoe damage, aoe healing, or to resurrect as a minion which then required upkeep was fun, challenging _and_ rewarding.

>

> Minions were originally with no active minion cap (that I recall - I think I managed upward of 25 or 30~ active at one time) - it was up to the abilities of the player to manage their skills and time and control their encounters in order to maintain a small army of minions.

>

> The minion cap added further into the game's life (vaguely recall it being 6 or 8ish) was disappointing to me, but not nearly as disappointing as it was seeing what was done to minions in GW2 at launch and worse still that nothing has really been done to fix their broken behavior since, let alone improve and build upon them.

The maximum number of minions you could control depended on your Death Magic skill. With 13 death magic I think you could control around 10-12 minions iirc?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Hyper#Things_I_miss_from_Guild_Wars_1

* The Epic story-line missions. (Path of Fire fixed this for me. Great work on the storytelling there.)

* The versatile skill system.

* The Heroes and Henchmen for playing solo and exploring content at my own pace.

* The tradability of most items. GW2 binds much more items to your character or account.

* The continent of Cantha. I hope we will see this again in one of the expansions.

* The competitive mission Fort Aspenwood. I probably spent thousands of hours in this mission alone.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> The thing I really miss is Cantha.

>

> > @Ashantara.8731 said:

> > 3. **Having new starter areas with each expansion** (plus having a lot more maps per expansion).

> Both those things were because the three GW1 campaigns were full standalone games in and of themselves. HoT and PoF are more like GW1's only _actual_ expansion (EotN).

>

> > @sorudo.9054 said:

> > * a well written and voiced story

> I... don't think you remember GW1's story very well, to say the least.

GW1 had incredible lore, but to say the story was well written and voiced is your nostalgia speaking.

> @JMaarse.7086 said:

> > @StinVec.3621 said:

> > * Necromancer corpse and minion functionality

> > In addition to many aspects of GW1 that I would like in GW2 that have already been outlined by others, I truly miss the behavior of the necromancer and its minion control and corpse utilization. Choosing which corpses and when to utilize them for aoe damage, aoe healing, or to resurrect as a minion which then required upkeep was fun, challenging _and_ rewarding.

> >

> > Minions were originally with no active minion cap (that I recall - I think I managed upward of 25 or 30~ active at one time) - it was up to the abilities of the player to manage their skills and time and control their encounters in order to maintain a small army of minions.

> >

> > The minion cap added further into the game's life (vaguely recall it being 6 or 8ish) was disappointing to me, but not nearly as disappointing as it was seeing what was done to minions in GW2 at launch and worse still that nothing has really been done to fix their broken behavior since, let alone improve and build upon them.

>

> The maximum number of minions you could control depended on your Death Magic skill. With 13 death magic I think you could control around 10-12 minions iirc?

They changed to that because people were running around with upwards of 20 Fiends.