Change Character Selection Screen

senki.1046

Character select *does* need a change. But not something this simple.

More characters per page.

Characters that fit in their given view area.

Keyboard method of page swapping. (Or just have all slots visible and selectable.)

Character sorts/filters (by time played, profession, race, creation date, etc)

It should be like a character selection screen for a fighting game like street fighter or mortal kombat with character selection music or like a car selection screen for a racing game. Backgrounds should be connected to the location of the character like in the current thumbnail.

It could also be a great opportunity for having the character selection screen combined with a character design editor to entice people to buy more items to keep the game running. So using Wintersday as an example, imagine logging into the game and having all or most of your characters decked out in Wintersday gear or other things on sale. Then, have a customize button so that you can choose specific items and recolor them to your liking while on your character of choice.

Throw in a mount option so you can customize your character and mount at the same time. "Try before you buy" goes a long way.

I know they won't do anything of what I just said, but I see an easy and worthwhile in-game marketing opportunity here that they can capitalize on.

> @"yoni.7015" said:

> There is no need to change it. People don’t spend a lot of time in the character selection screen and the background doesn’t really matter.

You may not spend a lot of time on it, but some people do. I have over 30 characters and there are people with more than double that, so while I don't sit there and admire the character selection screen, I see it. A lot. Plus it's way easier to hop to that screen to "pause" the game and take care of something else rather than close the game down to reopen it not long after as long as your computer can handle that. You're also ignoring the fact that that screen is the first thing new players see when they boot up the game. It can be extremely off-putting to start playing a new game because you've seen/heard things about it, the launcher looks cool, but then the first thing you see is old/outdated content and no context for what it is or why it's there.

As for the topic at hand, I agree. The current screen does not match the aesthetic of the new launcher or that of the Icebrood Saga. Even if they changed what we currently have from reds and purples to whites and blues, it would fit better. Though the whole screen could use an overhaul and QoL features.

> @"Zephire.8049" said:

> > @"yoni.7015" said:

> > There is no need to change it. People don’t spend a lot of time in the character selection screen and the background doesn’t really matter.

>

> You may not spend a lot of time on it, but some people do. I have over 30 characters and there are people with more than double that, so while I don't sit there and admire the character selection screen, I see it. A lot. Plus it's way easier to hop to that screen to "pause" the game and take care of something else rather than close the game down to reopen it not long after as long as your computer can handle that. You're also ignoring the fact that that screen is the first thing new players see when they boot up the game. It can be extremely off-putting to start playing a new game because you've seen/heard things about it, the launcher looks cool, but then the first thing you see is old/outdated content and no context for what it is or why it's there.

>

> As for the topic at hand, I agree. The current screen does not match the aesthetic of the new launcher or that of the Icebrood Saga. Even if they changed what we currently have from reds and purples to whites and blues, it would fit better. Though the whole screen could use an overhaul and QoL features.

People should rather play the game than spend time in the character selection. New player don’t care what background there is, so this is nonsense.

> @"Virdo.1540" said:

> Like the other DLCs, they got an fitting background for the characterselection-screen. Will we be able to get one too thats fitting to the new dlc?

they only change the background for each xpac not each set of content. our we have had a few diffrent screens that unlike the launcher that tends to change with the story season ever since HoT the background has only changed 2 times im in all of gw2's live life iirc 1st time at Hot we got a jungle background with a cool new music and the second at Pof we got the desert. So basicly what im saying for everyone here is that anet will only change it with the next xpac given the current history and evidence to support that

> @"yoni.7015" said:

> > There is no need to change it. People don’t spend a lot of time in the character selection screen and the background doesn’t really matter.

>

> You may not spend a lot of time on it, but some people do. I have over 30 characters and there are people with more than double that, so while I don't sit there and admire the character selection screen, I see it. A lot. Plus it's way easier to hop to that screen to "pause" the game and take care of something else rather than close the game down to reopen it not long after as long as your computer can handle that. You're also ignoring the fact that that screen is the first thing new players see when they boot up the game. It can be extremely off-putting to start playing a new game because you've seen/heard things about it, the launcher looks cool, but then the first thing you see is old/outdated content and no context for what it is or why it's there.

>

> As for the topic at hand, I agree. The current screen does not match the aesthetic of the new launcher or that of the Icebrood Saga. Even if they changed what we currently have from reds and purples to whites and blues, it would fit better. Though the whole screen could use an overhaul and QoL features.

While it would be nice as i have stated in my last post it wont happen anet only changes the chara background with an xpac launch as it is to much work to do otherwise that they could relocate to other areas of the game for other projects.

> @"XYLO.7031" said:

> It should be like a character selection screen for a fighting game like street fighter or mortal kombat with character selection music or like a car selection screen for a racing game. Backgrounds should be connected to the location of the character like in the current thumbnail.

>

> It could also be a great opportunity for having the character selection screen combined with a character design editor to entice people to buy more items to keep the game running. So using Wintersday as an example, imagine logging into the game and having all or most of your characters decked out in Wintersday gear or other things on sale. Then, have a customize button so that you can choose specific items and recolor them to your liking while on your character of choice.

>

> Throw in a mount option so you can customize your character and mount at the same time. "Try before you buy" goes a long way.

>

> I know they won't do anything of what I just said, but I see an easy and worthwhile in-game marketing opportunity here that they can capitalize on.

Honestly that seems like a lot of work for nothing when they have a perfectly fine chara editor when u log into ur toon and with an mmo where anything can go wrong by screwing with one thing which could cause 100s more issues doesnt seem like something really worth messing with just so u dont have to log in a chara to edit it.

> @"northcharm.9485" said:

> > @"Virdo.1540" said:

> > Like the other DLCs, they got an fitting background for the characterselection-screen. Will we be able to get one too thats fitting to the new dlc?

>

> they only change the background for each xpac not each set of content. our we have had a few diffrent screens that unlike the launcher that tends to change with the story season ever since HoT the background has only changed 2 times im in all of gw2's live life iirc 1st time at Hot we got a jungle background with a cool new music and the second at Pof we got the desert. So basicly what im saying for everyone here is that anet will only change it with the next xpac given the current history and evidence to support that

technically its an xpac, they offered for free.

I agree. Having a new fresh Character Selection Screen could be great. Same thing with music in the background. What's the point od having desert when we're on the North?

What's hard about it? I'm pretty sure they have the art needed to apply the background and rest is just some **very basic** animation: snow, light, wind. It's like 30 min After Effects work, but made into game and it's just a layers behind characters.

The music is also ready to be implemented.

**That's just the visual feature, but makes huge difference in making people believe you are making Expansion Content LW.**

Just visually.