Contested Dungeon mechanic is AWFUL. SICK of it!!

Selminus.1490

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> It definitely can be frustrating. The two events to open it aren’t very hard and three to five people can clear it fairly quickly.

>

> But keep in mind that if it’s just tokens and skins, you could do the WvW reward track to get those also.

>

> It’s always open.

PvP reward track is actually much faster than WvW, unless the bonus weekend is on with full boosters

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > It definitely can be frustrating. The two events to open it aren’t very hard and three to five people can clear it fairly quickly.

> >

> > But keep in mind that if it’s just tokens and skins, you could do the WvW reward track to get those also.

> >

> > It’s always open.

>

> PvP reward track is actually much faster than WvW, unless the bonus weekend is on with full boosters

I wasn’t aware of that. Good to know. Thanks.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > It definitely can be frustrating. The two events to open it aren’t very hard and three to five people can clear it fairly quickly.

> >

> > But keep in mind that if it’s just tokens and skins, you could do the WvW reward track to get those also.

> >

> > It’s always open.

>

> PvP reward track is actually much faster than WvW, unless the bonus weekend is on with full boosters

Are you factoring in the queue time? In my experience with that included they are around the same. At least with ranked. Maybe unranked moves faster.

Mmm.. I believe that there's some misunderstanding on the purpose of these events. Anet surely doesn't want people to not be able to play their game or lose interest. The main issue here lies on people's current goals, that are different from people's goals back when the game was released. Let's consider some things first..

Fact #1: The first challenging content that GW2 had back when the game was released were the dungeons. There were no raids, there was no living story (yet) and, ofc, there were just core classes available.

Back in the day, the events + any dungeon path were the high end content. It was hard as kitten to get these dungeons done. Believe me or not, people couldn't finish 3 AC paths on the same day (me included for while...).

People actually enjoyed the effort involved, because everyone was excited to get their sets of any of the dungeons (specially Arah's heavy armor).

It was one hell of an effort to be able to survive the today's "boring 6 minutes event", because it could fail. It required strangers to help each other to achieve a common goal (access to the dungeon). ArenaNet learned from their mistakes on GW1, where, you rarely needed other people's involvement to get your things done.

Fact #2: CoF, CoE and Arah events are tied to the game's lore. These events lead to the dungeons where you get to find out more about what was happening outside. GW2's story starts 250 years after the last events that the players had access on the first game.

CoF pre-events were related to the main story, where the pact joined forces to fight Gaheron. If you check on wiki these events are classified as a meta event. Way different from today's meta events, isn't it? People didn't get lots of chests to open after the meta was over, what they got was access to a more difficult content that they had to work hard to get something out of it.

CoE pre-events were related to Mordremoths hidden existence. People didn't even know that Mordy existed, but these events were the tip of the iceberg yet to come later on with HoT. Every corner of the area during the event has minions that are related to a specific dragon. And it also showed the players that inquests were already far ahead on their research about the dragons.

Events over Malchor's Leap and Cursed Shore were way above everyone's level back in the day. They required a lot of people's effort to be done, and people did want to get them done since they offered some exotic pieces after the karma trader would show up when the meta events were successful.

People who wanted legendary weapons had to do Balthazar temple over and over so they could trade their karma for obsidian shards. Shards were pricey (karma wise).. so people had to keep doing events to get karma. It did keep maps full for a long time.

Not to mention that Cursed Shore was the farm point for T6.. It was always crowded.

So, I believe there was and there still is a purpose behind the events, way more complex than the idea that Anet wants to prevent people from having their fun.

You can't find lots of people doing events on the maps anymore but today you can just do these events with far less people than the amount that was needed back then. The "boring 6 min event" can be soloed by one power DH nowadays.. it's not even an effort anymore. Some events, like Arah pre-events may require from 5 maybe 10 people to complete.. which, again, it's not hard to get done.

And as someone said before, if you really can't afford spending time to do these events, or never cared about lore... Just jump over the gates with your mounts, it does work with very little effort.

I've ran over 7.5k dungeon paths over the years, so I had to do these events over and over whenever I wanted to run dungeons. It gets tiring if you overly run them.. But still, this content is there for new people who are starting the game today, it wouldn't be fair that only old players could enjoy some really awesome parts of Tyria story. I strongly believe that new players who wants the whole experience would be missing a good chunk of it if these events were to be removed.

Remember that Anet did that with LS1 and people still hold some grudges for not being able to access this story anymore. New players don't know how awesome Scarlet Briar was, neither how the current commanders group formed or why does the current Lion's Arch is different from the Lion's Arch that they see on their personal story.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:> > @"crepuscular.9047" said:> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:> > > It definitely can be frustrating. The two events to open it aren’t very hard and three to five people can clear it fairly quickly.> > > > > > But keep in mind that if it’s just tokens and skins, you could do the WvW reward track to get those also.> > > > > > It’s always open. > > > > PvP reward track is actually much faster than WvW, unless the bonus weekend is on with full boosters> > Are you factoring in the queue time? In my experience with that included they are around the same. At least with ranked. Maybe unranked moves faster.each wvw reward track is 20,000 points, which takes just slightly over 6 hours with full booster without the bonus wxpfor pvp, each win award you 700 point, and loss gives you 350, say you have 50% win rate, you need 20 games, each game + wait time say 20min, then add the guild bonus multiplier ~6.1 hoursyes you are right, on paper they are pretty much identical

but i think it really depends on how much time you spend playing each game mode; if you are gonna sit around for 6-8 hours in each game mode, perhaps they are the same speed as you said; and wvw is faster during bonus weekend like i mentionedi just go into each game mode to do the dailies, somehow i always end up with pvp reward track finishing faster

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:> > > @"crepuscular.9047" said:> > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:> > > > It definitely can be frustrating. The two events to open it aren’t very hard and three to five people can clear it fairly quickly.> > > > > > > > But keep in mind that if it’s just tokens and skins, you could do the WvW reward track to get those also.> > > > > > > > It’s always open. > > > > > > PvP reward track is actually much faster than WvW, unless the bonus weekend is on with full boosters> > > > Are you factoring in the queue time? In my experience with that included they are around the same. At least with ranked. Maybe unranked moves faster.> > each wvw reward track is 20,000 points, which takes just slightly over 6 hours with full booster without the bonus wxp> for pvp, each win award you 700 point, and loss gives you 350, say you have 50% win rate, you need 20 games, each game + wait time say 20min, then add the guild bonus multiplier ~6.1 hours> > yes you are right, on paper they are pretty much identical> >

> > but i think it really depends on how much time you spend playing each game mode; if you are gonna sit around for 6-8 hours in each game mode, perhaps they are the same speed as you said; and wvw is faster during bonus weekend like i mentioned> > i just go into each game mode to do the dailies, somehow i always end up with pvp reward track finishing faster> > > > > > Heh ... I guess with enough awful one sided matches, PvP could be much faster. Which is one of the problems with PvP ... :/

> @"Selminus.1490" said:

> Just checked every day for 2 weeks for Citadel of Flame to even be OPEN and then it closes again before we can get to the third path. Do you honestly think this motivated people to clear zones? Huge waste of time checking for it and an awful, frustrating mechanic.

CoF's gate being locked can certainly be a pain. However, there are a number of ways past it. Somebody on this board already mentioned using the skyscale to do it. You can also do it with a springer, as well as a well-timed and well-placed shadowstep. I used to get pretty fed up with CoF being closed off when I wanted to continue, but it's honestly very easy to just open it, once you see how. I'd recommend looking around for a guide. I'd rather not go into a detailed explanation, or link anything, on this page, because I don't want ANet to patch it out.

The whole idea of locking it behind an event chain makes sense on paper, but in actual practice it doesn't work when the map is nearly vacant of any players. The event chain can take a while to start, if you arrive on the map with a closed gate, and that can be very frustrating, as you are unable to do anything about it until such a time as the event pops up. Furthermore, many players might not even know which NPC starts the event, or where, making it even more unlikely that it'll be opened up again any time soon.

I'd say that locking the gate served its purpose, back when there were a lot of players on this map, who needed to be actively encouraged to engage with the content, rather than just popping into the map long enough to move on into the dungeon. But that time has passed, and at this point it just makes more sense to allow those few players who want to do CoF get into the dungeon when they please.