Buff the other mounts

Hoover.6394

I noticed that since I got the skyscale I almost never use the other old mounts...

This shows how useful is the skyscale but I also feel sad cos I got fancy skins for the other mounts too, I think one way to bring them back is too slightly buff the old mounts abilities, make raptor leap further, bunny jump higher, Jackal flash more etc. I just wish I have more season to use and enjoy the other mounts

I am in the same boat. I find the Skyscale just too multiflexible. Even the jackal have seen much less use because you can in many cases just wing it up to where the sand portal would take you.

I mainly use Skyscale, Skimmer and Roller Beetle. The others might as well not exist. But when we just had the griffon, I used it much more than the other mounts. Snap going up when needed. And when flapping, you evade. But the griffon has been permanently shelved, my spacebutton is sooo happy for no longer needing to constantly hammer it to flap to stay airborne. I just cant use it anymore now that I have the skyscale.

Sure the skyscale is slow at going down, but theres a trick for faster descent. Simply go out over a ledge without beating your wings and you plummet much faster than manually going down.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> Sure the skyscale is slow at going down, but theres a trick for faster descent. Simply go out over a ledge without beating your wings and you plummet much faster than manually going down.

mount ability 2 (default key is C, afaik only the griffon beetle and skyscale have a mount ability 2) makes you descend just as fast as falling

I don't see a need for buffs for the other mounts. Each of them still has it's use. While the Springer can't get as high as the Skyscale, it goes up a lot faster and will evade attacks when doing so while the Skyscale is vulnerable. I haven't compared the horizontal speed of Skyscale and Raptor, but it feels more or less the same while I find Raptor less clunky to use when traveling. So I basically use Raptor for horizontal travel, Springer for vertical travel and Skyscale when a combintation is required and switching between Raptor/Springer is either not possible or I would need to switch so many times that instead using the Skyscale saves some time.

> @"Lexi.1398" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > Sure the skyscale is slow at going down, but theres a trick for faster descent. Simply go out over a ledge without beating your wings and you plummet much faster than manually going down.

>

> mount ability 2 (default key is C, afaik only the griffon beetle and skyscale have a mount ability 2) makes you descend just as fast as falling

>

Nope, actually plummeting is *much* faster than flying descent. Try it at some place - Jaka Itzel WP to Flax farm could be good. Mount up and walk off the edge - make sure to not press Space **at all** - and time how long until you hit the ground. Then redo it but take off and hover before descending, timing how long it takes. It's going to take *a lot* longer!

> @"Patty.3268" said:

> I don't see a need for buffs for the other mounts. Each of them still has it's use. While the Springer can't get as high as the Skyscale, it goes up a lot faster and will evade attacks when doing so while the Skyscale is vulnerable. I haven't compared the horizontal speed of Skyscale and Raptor, but it feels more or less the same while I find Raptor less clunky to use when traveling. So I basically use Raptor for horizontal travel, Springer for vertical travel and Skyscale when a combintation is required and switching between Raptor/Springer is either not possible or I would need to switch so many times that instead using the Skyscale saves some time.

I don't know. If I'm going long distances over flat terrain, roller beetle is usually the best option. If it's short range, it's a photo-finish. I can't tell whether raptor leap or skyscale's...whatever you call that is quicker, so it probably doesn't matter all that much which one you use. However, if going uphill or over varied terrain, I think the skyscale is the better choice. These things aren't much of a factor to the skyscale, but can slow the raptor down quite a bit. The skyscale can also fly in a straight line over terrain that the raptor has to move around and, if the terrain is very vertical (e.g. cliffs), the skyscale can handle that without requiring a mount swap.

I also struggle to tell which is faster for climbing: springer or skyscale? My impression, however, is that the skyscale is probably faster and it's almost certainly better when you take into account what the skyscale can do that the springer can't. The skyscale is a little sluggish on the liftoff, but so is the springer. However, once it's in the air you can use the zoom to quickly move to the edge of the cliff. You don't even have to clear the top. You can use the first half of your endurance bar, cling to the cliff face while holding spacebar, then release and leap up onto the ledge and you're already lifting off for the next ledge. As a bonus, you can't miss the ledge and fall and you really have much better precision in flight than the springer with it's leap trajectory which can only be adjusted so much once you're in the air.

The griffon obviously retains it's purpose of high speed, long distance flight, but is otherwise pretty much obsolete. And the jackal was already overlapped by the raptor in most cases. To top it all off, many monsters seem to ignore you if you fly over them, and since the skyscale is the only mount capable of sustaining flight indefinitely, it is pretty handy for farming and similar activities where avoiding aggro is beneficial (especially if you're also forced to dismount/remount frequently!).

I don't know if the answer is to buff the other mounts (but I don't really have a better idea!) and I hope they don't nerf the skyscale! But I can agree that there's a pretty strong case to be made for the skyscale doing almost everything at least nearly as well as the other mounts (roller beetle/skimmer/warclaw excluded for obvious reasons!), while bringing other abilities to the table that usually tip the balance in its favor. It leaves a pretty small slice of the pie for jackal, raptor, griffon, and springer.

I certainly find myself using the skyscale most of the time now instead of frequently switching between griffon/raptor and springer. But I don't know if that's a bad thing? The skyscale is a joy to play with! I love it!

TL;DR: I agree that the skyscale leaves very little real estate for the jackal/raptor/griffon/springer. I am not sure if I agree on the solution or if one is required.

I've only used the rental Skyscales but nothing about them would ever make me stop using my Griffon, Jackal and Bunny.. Those three mounts alone are all you'd ever need. I found skyscales to be downright terrible and decided i'd never get one due to how stupid and tedious the whole fetch quest fiasco is for them.

> @"Dante.1508" said:

> I've only used the rental Skyscales but nothing about them would ever make me stop using my Griffon, Jackal and Bunny.. Those three mounts alone are all you'd ever need. I found skyscales to be downright terrible and decided i'd never get one due to how stupid and tedious the whole fetch quest fiasco is for them.

I still strong recommmend you getting it though... it worth it

> @"Hoover.6394" said:

> > @"Dante.1508" said:

> > I've only used the rental Skyscales but nothing about them would ever make me stop using my Griffon, Jackal and Bunny.. Those three mounts alone are all you'd ever need. I found skyscales to be downright terrible and decided i'd never get one due to how stupid and tedious the whole fetch quest fiasco is for them.

>

> I still strong recommmend you getting it though... it worth it

Not in my opinion compared to the Griffon.. Also not into doing insane fetch crap for the sake of a virtual mount.

i dont think, it need to buff the others. for me the only mount can be replace is the bunny. i never used springer since i got skyscale. however skyscale is not one mount for all. its too slow. i rather use raptor or jackal for short travel. beetle and griffon for fast long travel. also if skyscale fall into flow sand you will be dead. so cant replace skimmer as well.

Please add a special beetle questline so I can have a twin turbo on my beetle, a manual 6-8 speed gearbox, the ability to perform different tricks in the air by button choice (like tony hawk), an upgrade to my intake and exhaust, and last but not least... better shocks and dampening system.

They're fine. No need to buff other mounts. Raptor is still faster than Skyscale, and your skyscale can't just fly forever.

* Large and flat fields like in Elon Riverlands? Beetle is the best.

* Water or Quicksand? Skimmer.

* Can jump from high place? Griffon.

* Want to fly on a short distance or get higher? Skyscale.

* Need to move quickly, evade, turn around? Jackal (yes, you can just turn your camera and press dodge to change direction).

* Need to pack mobs and just move though flat mid-distances? Raptor.

And then there's Springer. Yeah. You can feed it to your skyscale because Skyscale does better.

While I agree the skyscale makes other mounts less useful, they all still have their places.

I don't really see anything wrong in having a mount like Skyscale, especially given how long and tedious it is to get. I personally don't like switching constantly between mounts, I'd rather have the choice to switch mounts if I want than being forced to.

But yeah, A buff to the others wouldn't hurt.