Top-end damage from Deadeye's

Geikamir.6329

> @ChocolateBlaze.7840 said:

> LMFAO people in here saying "L2P. gitgud. it has a tell. dodge." So 21K oneshots from a deadeye is okay, but a gazelle 20K oneshots (FROM AN AI CONTROLLED UNIT) was not even remotely okay in the slightest.

yes b/c the actual set up for that damage takes a loing time whereas the gazelle was not

also there's a huge issue that one is a player and the other is AI

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who thinks 20k+ damage in one skill is fine because it's supposedly so easy to dodge is missing the point. sure DJ is pretty avoidable in a 1v1. you can focus on the deadeye and save your dodges. ok I get it.

but in a teamfight... it's a 1500 skill with a pretty minimal tell. like, it's harder to see than moa imo. and DJ is much worse to get hit by than moa, because it's insta downstate.

in a teamfight there are so many things to dodge, FC, scourges, holo elite, etc etc and so many particle effects. so it's really really easy to get caught between evades, or without an evade and just instantly die out of nowhere.

even people like Phantaram are getting nailed by the skill, because honestly it's OP (the skill, not deadeye as a whole). it does more damage than most PvP builds have health. can't see how that's good game design regardless of how long the tell is.

the fact people think this is more fine than the gazelle is mind boggling. is so much easier to hit the burst with DJ than it is to make a pet activate a skill then bug out.

DJ is moa 2.0, it forsakes the cc lockdown for cruise control into downstate. there is literally no skill that gives you more value in the entire game if you land it. nothing compares to 100-0. it's objectively OP.

> @Jinks.2057 said:

> > @ChocolateBlaze.7840 said:

> > LMFAO people in here saying "L2P. gitgud. it has a tell. dodge." So 21K oneshots from a deadeye is okay, but a gazelle 20K oneshots (FROM AN AI CONTROLLED UNIT) was not even remotely okay in the slightest.

>

> yes b/c the actual set up for that damage takes a loing time whereas the gazelle was not

>

> also there's a huge issue that one is a player and the other is AI

The ranger had to make an entire build centered around that one skill, over which they had little control, which can't hit a moving target reliably and has a 1 1/2 second activation time. They also can't do the full damage but once per fight, because it relies on the pet being out of combat beforehand. Meanwhile the deadeye can just set up in a hard-to-reach location and spam heavy damage into a fight from 1500 range, then stealth and shadow step away when someone manages to get up there.

Honestly, the real problem for me though is that stupid p/p build, where using unload returns initiative, allowing the deadeye to run around spamming rapid fire equivalents constantly, getting kills with no skill or effort. Or, two deadeyes in a group together coordinating head shot spam and bursts.

> @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > @Jinks.2057 said:

> > > @ChocolateBlaze.7840 said:

> > > LMFAO people in here saying "L2P. gitgud. it has a tell. dodge." So 21K oneshots from a deadeye is okay, but a gazelle 20K oneshots (FROM AN AI CONTROLLED UNIT) was not even remotely okay in the slightest.

> >

> > yes b/c the actual set up for that damage takes a loing time whereas the gazelle was not

> >

> > also there's a huge issue that one is a player and the other is AI

>

> The ranger had to make an entire build centered around that one skill, over which they had little control, which can't hit a moving target reliably and has a 1 1/2 second activation time. They also can't do the full damage but once per fight, because it relies on the pet being out of combat beforehand. Meanwhile the deadeye can just set up in a hard-to-reach location and spam heavy damage into a fight from 1500 range, then stealth and shadow step away when someone manages to get up there.

>

> Honestly, the real problem for me though is that stupid p/p build, where using unload returns initiative, allowing the deadeye to run around spamming rapid fire equivalents constantly, getting kills with no skill or effort. Or, two deadeyes in a group together coordinating head shot spam and bursts.

tbh unlad spam on DE is worse because dont need malice stack..just mark for quickness and its more deadly with shorter time than rifle and many prefer this unlad spam over rifle with additional better mobility and p/p specs traits are more synergised with other weapons like just d/p etc than spec set to only rifle which also need time and more it need very good position to attack to have better chance stay alive while with p/p you can spam unload even in melee if you know what you do

EDIT; and I was killed by rifle only while I was outnumbered and when 1v1 I never died to rifle DE but died many times to just p/p because of much faster burst without need to prepare

> @Velimere.7685 said:

> Saw Phantaram get one-shot by Deadeye multiple times during his stream today. He calculated that no matter what build he was running, it would always be a one-shot on an Elementalist without actively avoiding it.

That is what gw2 is ment to do, cut the gap between good and medicro/bda players its all based on damage creep and situations ur getting yourself into....

PVP was designed for pve players... not to be a full balanced and serious pvp like other games might have..

Dont forget that ANet add to bail out from ESL since they only want a pve game with spamwars...

> @ChocolateBlaze.7840 said:

> LMFAO people in here saying "L2P. gitgud. it has a tell. dodge." So 21K oneshots from a deadeye is okay, but a gazelle 20K oneshots (FROM AN AI CONTROLLED UNIT) was not even remotely okay in the slightest.

> @BlackBeard.2873 said:

> Yea, so I got 1hko by a deadeye twice at the start of the match...no might stacks, no malice, 14.6k, no tell.

>

> Sure, 0.75s tell is plenty, especially when you factor in latency and the fact that the "tell is" is a tiny little line, that is 100% noticeable when coming from any random direction. /s

With no might or malice Death's Judgement hits for 3k at most.

> > @Jinks.2057 said:

> > > LMFAO people in here saying "L2P. gitgud. it has a tell. dodge." So 21K oneshots from a deadeye is okay, but a gazelle 20K oneshots (FROM AN AI CONTROLLED UNIT) was not even remotely okay in the slightest.

> >

> > yes b/c the actual set up for that damage takes a loing time whereas the gazelle was not

> >

>

> The ranger had to make an entire build centered around that one skill, over which they had little control, which can't hit a moving target reliably and has a 1 1/2 second activation time. They also can't do the full damage but once per fight, because it relies on the pet being out of combat beforehand. Meanwhile the deadeye can just set up in a hard-to-reach location and spam heavy damage into a fight from 1500 range, then stealth and shadow step away when someone manages to get up there.

>

> Honestly, the real problem for me though is that stupid p/p build, where using unload returns initiative, allowing the deadeye to run around spamming rapid fire equivalents constantly, getting kills with no skill or effort. Or, two deadeyes in a group together coordinating head shot spam and bursts.

Run reflects? Honestly i always thought P/P was cheap and cheesy too, if there's one weapon set i'd like to see redesigned for Thieves, its def this one, but its fairly easy to counter too. Hence why you never, ever see P/P Thieves at high elo.

> @Griever.8150 said:

> > @ChocolateBlaze.7840 said:

> > LMFAO people in here saying "L2P. gitgud. it has a tell. dodge." So 21K oneshots from a deadeye is okay, but a gazelle 20K oneshots (FROM AN AI CONTROLLED UNIT) was not even remotely okay in the slightest.

>

>

> > @BlackBeard.2873 said:

> > Yea, so I got 1hko by a deadeye twice at the start of the match...no might stacks, no malice, 14.6k, no tell.

> >

> > Sure, 0.75s tell is plenty, especially when you factor in latency and the fact that the "tell is" is a tiny little line, that is 100% noticeable when coming from any random direction. /s

>

> With no might or malice Death's Judgement hits for 3k at most.

>

> > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > @Jinks.2057 said:

> > > > @ChocolateBlaze.7840 said:

> > > > LMFAO people in here saying "L2P. gitgud. it has a tell. dodge." So 21K oneshots from a deadeye is okay, but a gazelle 20K oneshots (FROM AN AI CONTROLLED UNIT) was not even remotely okay in the slightest.

> > >

> > > yes b/c the actual set up for that damage takes a loing time whereas the gazelle was not

> > >

> > > also there's a huge issue that one is a player and the other is AI

> >

> > The ranger had to make an entire build centered around that one skill, over which they had little control, which can't hit a moving target reliably and has a 1 1/2 second activation time. They also can't do the full damage but once per fight, because it relies on the pet being out of combat beforehand. Meanwhile the deadeye can just set up in a hard-to-reach location and spam heavy damage into a fight from 1500 range, then stealth and shadow step away when someone manages to get up there.

> >

> > Honestly, the real problem for me though is that stupid p/p build, where using unload returns initiative, allowing the deadeye to run around spamming rapid fire equivalents constantly, getting kills with no skill or effort. Or, two deadeyes in a group together coordinating head shot spam and bursts.

>

> Run reflects? Honestly i always thought P/P was cheap and cheesy too, if there's one weapon set i'd like to see redesigned for Thieves, its def this one, but its fairly easy to counter too. Hence why you never, ever see P/P Thieves at high elo.

All the reflects are on scrapper, which isn't viable right now because of scourge and spellbreaker. Also, it is possible for a deadeye to build up malice on another target, switch to you, then burst for heavy damage with little warning.

> @BlackBeard.2873 said:

> Yea, so I got 1hko by a deadeye twice at the start of the match...no might stacks, no malice, 14.6k, no tell.

>

> Sure, 0.75s tell is plenty, especially when you factor in latency and the fact that the "tell is" is a tiny little line, that is 100% noticeable when coming from any random direction. /s

Let's stop lying. I play zerker amulet DE with rifle when I feel like playing thief, and I don't have that happen to me ever.

> > @Jinks.2057 said:

> >

> >

>

>

No you didn't have to make an entire build to abuse the absurd damage on gazelle's charge. Let's all be honest here.

Also your thief points are funny. How do people die to p/p builds? You're an engineer main you have projectile blocks, invulns, etc. to deal with one trick pony p/p builds. It seems this is a player issue you are having.

In fact Engi has been countering thief for almost as long as Guardian has.

> @Jinks.2057 said:

> > @"Unholy Pillager.3791" said:

> > > @Jinks.2057 said:

> > > > @ChocolateBlaze.7840 said:

> > > > LMFAO people in here saying "L2P. gitgud. it has a tell. dodge." So 21K oneshots from a deadeye is okay, but a gazelle 20K oneshots (FROM AN AI CONTROLLED UNIT) was not even remotely okay in the slightest.

> > >

> > > yes b/c the actual set up for that damage takes a loing time whereas the gazelle was not

> > >

> > > also there's a huge issue that one is a player and the other is AI

> >

> > The ranger had to make an entire build centered around that one skill, over which they had little control, which can't hit a moving target reliably and has a 1 1/2 second activation time. They also can't do the full damage but once per fight, because it relies on the pet being out of combat beforehand. Meanwhile the deadeye can just set up in a hard-to-reach location and spam heavy damage into a fight from 1500 range, then stealth and shadow step away when someone manages to get up there.

> >

> > Honestly, the real problem for me though is that stupid p/p build, where using unload returns initiative, allowing the deadeye to run around spamming rapid fire equivalents constantly, getting kills with no skill or effort. Or, two deadeyes in a group together coordinating head shot spam and bursts.

>

> No you didn't have to make an entire build to abuse the absurd damage on gazelle's charge. Let's all be honest here.

You needed two specific lines (marksmanship and beast mastery), plus greatsword, and you relied on opening strike. Without those, it did 5-7k damage per hit. It was also easily dodgeable. I faced rangers with gazelles dozens of times before the nerf, and I never had a problem with them.

>

> Also your thief points are funny. How do people die to p/p builds? You're an engineer main you have projectile blocks, invulns, etc. to deal with one trick pony p/p builds. It seems this is a player issue you are having.

>

> In fact Engi has been countering thief for almost as long as Guardian has.

1v1, I eat thieves alive, yes. I have more of an issue with p/p when they +1. With daredevils, I have a chance to outplay and cleave both targets, while p/p does a lot of damage without exposing themselves to retaliatory attacks.

I'm also curious as to what projectile blocks you think that engineers have, outside of scrapper. Elixir U is terrible (and also bugged), shield is pretty poor given its long cooldowns and the fact that it forces you to use sword or pistol (neither of which is a particularly good weapon). Photon Wall is directional, mediocre and, most important, it (like U) would preclude the use of your mobility, condition removal/stunbreak, or invuln/stealth. Not a good tradeoff there. The other option (Elixir S) is decent if you can get cover between you and the thief, or else they'll just interrupt you when S runs out and burst you down then. You need to either reflect damage back to them (which pretty much requires scrapper), or you need to get a stealth or gap closer off safely before they can burst you down.

Basically, the issue isn't 1v1s. It's the fact that they are much more mobile, more stealthy, and have access to much better burst than longbow rangers, which seemed fairly balanced as a ranged +1 option. Oh, and the ten seconds of quickness doesn't help.

> @shippage.1983 said:

> It's not a 1-shot, it's a long channeled attack, and you can easily see you're marked so their one-shot actually takes really long to build up.

While I won't dispute the rest of the post, I'm pretty damn sure that a .75 second cast is not "a long channeled attack." It's barely longer than the typical auto attack cast time, and is actually shorter than quite a few of them.

Also, there's the issue where Death's Judgement gets its damage bonus regardless of if it's hitting the marked target or not. Happens less in PvP compared to WvW, but they can mark one of your teammates to one-shot you.

I think the damage within this skill is calculated as 1.65×(1+0.15×malice stacks) since the damage boost is from a single part of this ability. So basically without maleficent seven, this gives a multiplier of 1.65×(1+0.15×5)=~2.89 and with maleficent seven, 1.65(1+0.15×7)=~3.38. This puts it just over stage 2 and stage 3 kill shots respectively, without the piercing ability which I would say is balanced. The high numbers you're seeing are likely a combination of several other things such as damage multipliers, might stacks, and buffing traits. Assuming they're built for damage using Deadly arts, trickery, and deadeye, they could have revealed training (+200 power), 11-25 might stacks between perfectionist, bountiful theft, and 3 Round Burst (maybe used on someone else if there were teammates fighting there too, so anywhere between +330 and 750 power). Exposed weakness for +10%, executioner for +20%, malice for +18-21%, sigil of exploitation and opportunity for +5% each.

My best guess is this based on the rest of your damage log:

You got hit by cursed bullet, Spotters shot, and mind wrack which brought you under 50% health. Sigil of exploitation and executioner kicked in and Spotters Shot made opportunity kick in. They had revealed training giving them about 9% more damage on a 2225 power build (mauraders amulet and strength runes would put a thief here). Also lead attacks could have boosted the damage by 3% from the initiative spent on Spotters Shot.

So with the kneeling bonus, you got hit for 3.3k by cursed bullet, effectively a 0.84 multiplier. At a 3.38 multiplier, DJ is just over 4 times that. With how damage modifiers are multiplicative in this game, you essentially got 3315×4.024×1.09×1.2×1.05×1.05×1.03=19812 damage. That's about an 8% difference between what you got and what I calculated, but there could be some vulnerability or might I'm not talking into account or weapon damage fluctuations (rng).

Anyway, this was a long winded way of saying that at a 3.38 multiplier for a single target, I think this skill is actually pretty well balanced against kill shot which is a 3.25 multiplier that pierces. You just got unlucky with the damage modifiers.

> @Maugetarr.6823 said:

> I think the damage within this skill is calculated as 1.65×(1+0.15×malice stacks) since the damage boost is from a single part of this ability. So basically without maleficent seven, this gives a multiplier of 1.65×(1+0.15×5)=~2.89 and with maleficent seven, 1.65(1+0.15×7)=~3.38. This puts it just over stage 2 and stage 3 kill shots respectively, without the piercing ability which I would say is balanced. The high numbers you're seeing are likely a combination of several other things such as damage multipliers, might stacks, and buffing traits. Assuming they're built for damage using Deadly arts, trickery, and deadeye, they could have revealed training (+200 power), 11-25 might stacks between perfectionist, bountiful theft, and 3 Round Burst (maybe used on someone else if there were teammates fighting there too, so anywhere between +330 and 750 power). Exposed weakness for +10%, executioner for +20%, malice for +18-21%, sigil of exploitation and opportunity for +5% each.

>

> My best guess is this based on the rest of your damage log:

>

> You got hit by cursed bullet, Spotters shot, and mind wrack which brought you under 50% health. Sigil of exploitation and executioner kicked in and Spotters Shot made opportunity kick in. They had revealed training giving them about 9% more damage on a 2225 power build (mauraders amulet and strength runes would put a thief here). Also lead attacks could have boosted the damage by 3% from the initiative spent on Spotters Shot.

>

> So with the kneeling bonus, you got hit for 3.3k by cursed bullet, effectively a 0.84 multiplier. At a 3.38 multiplier, DJ is just over 4 times that. With how damage modifiers are multiplicative in this game, you essentially got 3315×4.024×1.09×1.2×1.05×1.05×1.03=19812 damage. That's about an 8% difference between what you got and what I calculated, but there could be some vulnerability or might I'm not talking into account or weapon damage fluctuations (rng).

>

> Anyway, this was a long winded way of saying that at a 3.38 multiplier for a single target, I think this skill is actually pretty well balanced against kill shot which is a 3.25 multiplier that pierces. You just got unlucky with the damage modifiers.

You are forgetting a major damage boost which is signet of assassin's active for a +540 power gain.

The thief has to commit entirely to this kind of one shot build....Just like 1-shot backstab in WvW, 1-shot mantra builds from mesmer. We could include condi burst builds as well, burn guard builds, there was the burn engi build as well. The only difference with condis is that you have to react 1-2 sec after the condis are applied.

gotta agree with Aza, this crap is getting out of hand, deadeye, holosmith, scourge, spellbreaker, soulbeast u name it.

This is the second expansion and shit just got way and way more retarded damage wise. I'm not claming for all PoF elite specs to be>Hot elite specs but some of the damage is definately beyond acceptable. the game is evolving more and more in a dodge or die game. HoT was already kinda ok that's the elite specs sure are strong but this is retarded. for bugs or damage to stay this long is absolutely laughable. I mean remember rock gazelle a few days ago still hitting for fucking 56 k or insta killing u?? Or that thread about a deadeye doing 102 fucking k of damage? this is some pve level damage. We are getting used to this crap. So yes Holosmith and deadeye are balanced. but balanced in a meta where some PoF specs are nothing short of absurd with scourges capable of dropping 3-4 people nearly instantly on point. spellbreaker formely having every 6.5 seconds protection+damage immunity(like seriously, u adding protection a fucking skill that already negates damage, that has to be a fucking troll)+stability+ 6 k+ damage+resistance+ throwing your conditions back on u. It's cleansing ire+ rousing resilince+last stand+endure pain+berserker stance+f1 burst in one. So yes this is why we can argue that soulbeast, holosmiths who stack boons several times faster then u can corrupt/remove them making boon removal effectively useless is balanced.

Keep in mind as well base damage of DJ is listed as 696(1.65)

Gunflame base is 928(2.2) with a 3 second burn added.

Gun flame on its own hits harder. DJ moves ahead only as malice stacks added and it just not one or two stacks needed to gain that edge. As others point out a great chunk of that final hit comes from things like Might stacks, bloodlust and all of those percentage modifiers that ALL thieves have access to.

> @"Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318" said:

> gotta agree with Aza, this crap is getting out of hand, deadeye, holosmith, scourge, spellbreaker, soulbeast u name it.

>

> I mean remember rock gazelle a few days ago still hitting for kitten 56 k or insta killing u??

What is getting out of hand is people believing everything they read.

Rock Gazelle sucked. Now it sucks more.

Only 2 of the classes you mentioned on that list are out of hand.

> @Aza.2105 said:

> > @nacario.9417 said:

> > > @Aza.2105 said:

> > > I can't believe you guys are saying 21k damage is ok. That's nearly twice as much as the lowest tier base health and more than the highest tier health. You guys are insane.

> >

> > There are many things that are questionable if "ok". Yes 21k dmg is not normal, but look at the grand picture. So you have to be a deadeye to do that damage, that already gimps you in other aspects, especially when in higher play/leg play where you easily get focused. A deadeye has lower mobility so forget about being able to decap like a daredevil, and deadeye is an has little to offer in Group fights, other than its range and damage which you can LoS or focus the guy. Any class should have a cooldown or two to counter the deadeye burst, use them well to shut him down, otherwise he will do damage to you. It's the same thing on a deadeye, if you let the enemy, let's say a burn guard open on you for a few seconds you are toasted. That's the difference between being a meatsack or someone who actively use his abilities.

> >

>

> I don't want to hear any excuses. It doesn't matter what a class can or can't do. That kind of damage is unacceptable. Players are not raid bosses. When people say that the damage is ok and its a l2p issue and that you should just "dodge". What they really are saying is that gw2 is just dodge or die. Think about the balance there, if you don't dodge you die in one hit. Even in pve the stuff that one shots you typically has a long cast time or a very obvious sign (like a giant glob on the floor), in addition its also very predictable. In pvp you have 4 other characters possibly hitting on you who might be doing just as much damage. So who you going to dodge? That spellbreaker, scourge etc etc? Its just too much. None of this stuff is ok. Rock gazelle isn't ok, spellbreaker isn't ok, scourge instant conditions aren't ok, getting hit for 21k at long range by something you may or may not see isn't ok, DH traps were never ok, all the invuls and blocks going around isn't ok.

>

> The game is a freaking mess.

>

The people to whom you speak here are a lost cause, my dude.

> @Inoki.6048 said:

> For the last time,

>

> snipers are supposed to be deadly.

For the last time, game design based wholly on flavor is a horrendous idea. You need function, then balance before you throw some colorful skin over something in a game. You don't just GIVE Thief a rifle with some random, insane numbers slapped onto it because "oh, it fits thematically." So is that theme also why warrior sword is a piddly bleed factory rather than a good direct damage weapon when rev sword deals a gorillion damage? What about how reaper's spec weapon is power but the entire class went full condi overnight on release? How about the fact that Whirling Defense's transition from Guild Wars 1's analogous stance function into a LITERAL Whirling Defense in GW2 ensured that basically nobody would ever find use for it? Why not mention how the warrior sword auto attack 3rd stage chain was swapped with the 3 skill because DESIGN BY FLAVOR IS NON-FUNCTIONAL TRASH? And what in the name of all that is holy could be the theme for warrior offhand axe? You're clearly the expert here, my man. Tell us, wise one.

>@Inoki.6048 said:

>What do you expect to be tickled with a rifle?

What, do you expect a necromancer to twirl and axe around and hit you for 8k from 20 meters away with no sign of projectiles? Your points hold no merit here.

> @EnderzShadow.2506 said:

> > @"Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318" said:

> > gotta agree with Aza, this crap is getting out of hand, deadeye, holosmith, scourge, spellbreaker, soulbeast u name it.

> >

> > I mean remember rock gazelle a few days ago still hitting for kitten 56 k or insta killing u??

>

> What is getting out of hand is people believing everything they read.

>

> Rock Gazelle sucked. Now it sucks more.

>

> Only 2 of the classes you mentioned on that list are out of hand.

>

>

Absurd. Rockgazelle legimately did these kinds of hits, Heck I could do 40 k hits with it. there is enough footage+screens for me to be convinced, same for deadeye. Heck sindrener got one/two shotted by an holosmith he was beating till he got tagged once or twice and died. Rock gazelle sucking doesn't justify this retarded damage. Secondly I'm reffering to powercreep solely and not balance so no all of the classes mentioned are out of hand.

The meta is becoming more and more like the ideal first person shooter A-net wants. And people like u are all just getting used to this nonsense meta so it's technically balanced while I agree in a meta where the bar is incredibly low.

This is some fucking bullshit.

There is no L2P issue here, the dead eye skill(death's judgment) that can deal 20+k dmg(and basically one shot you) from stealth, from any position in a 1500 range at any time, Is just a textbook on how NOT to develop a skill. I think they let thieves keep it for now, because without it, deadeye is under performing. I'm sure it will get nerfred some time in the future.

> @LughLongArm.5460 said:

> There is no L2P issue here, the dead eye skill(death's judgment) that can deal 20+k dmg(and basically one shot you) from stealth, from any position in a 1500 range at any time, Is just a textbook on how NOT to develop a skill. I think they let thieves keep it for now, because without it, deadeye is under performing. I'm sure it will get nerfred some time in the future.

as many people wrote it not only once..this to wrk for deadeye he must be in advance in better group to cover him.

trust me..I have seen not only once the4se situations and I myself tried it..if enemies team is just a bit better there is no place to deadeye to charge his malice to get 20k+ hits from stealth, if rifle deadeye is in worse group its just to easy to catch him before he will charge malice atleast in half, this deadeye will be unable to use DJ, instead will be able to spam just TRB which dont neeed that much malice and can be just compared to unlad spam but it cant be spammed that often because of higer initiative cost