Chris Cleary left Anet now we need a successor

Arden.7480

Hello, I'm here as a fellow player to acknowledge that Chris Cleary has indeed move on. Chris is a man, but also he was an employee for 7 years, but no more.

When a dev moves on it's sad, it's possible another dev moves on as well.

In this case it was Chris who's done so.

Chris has done a great deal to fight against cheaters. Now he's gone.

Chris' moving on will stir hatred on Reddit, it's been like that for several months. It is sad.

Sad to see a big name go again.

On the other hand, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Reddit. 1)It's even more toxic and "doom and gloom" than this forum 2)Same as here, the hate is only oppinions. Neither truths nor facts. 3)The only oppinions that matter are those of the korean overlords at NCsoft, the game ends when they pull the plug, not sooner or later.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> ... at the risk of sounding ignorant, who is Chris Cleary?

Chris had something to do with security. He on occasion banned players who really did crappy things publicly, he worked with the creator of a popular DPS program so that it could include build templates, and he answered people on reddit who tried to deny wrong doing by shooting them down publicly instead of letting them get away with stuff. I found his posts generally amusing and informative. I'm going to miss those.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> Sad to see a big name go again.

>

> On the other hand, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Reddit. 1)It's even more toxic and "doom and gloom" than this forum 2)Same as here, the hate is only oppinions. Neither truths nor facts. 3)The only oppinions that matter are those of the korean overlords at NCsoft, the game ends when they pull the plug, not sooner or later.

Yeah, but it would be cool to know if we're (still) dealing with a cash cow here or already giving attention to one of the poor dogs.

> @"Vinceman.4572" said:

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > Sad to see a big name go again.

> >

> > On the other hand, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Reddit. 1)It's even more toxic and "doom and gloom" than this forum 2)Same as here, the hate is only oppinions. Neither truths nor facts. 3)The only oppinions that matter are those of the korean overlords at NCsoft, the game ends when they pull the plug, not sooner or later.

>

> Yeah, but it would be cool to know if we're (still) dealing with a cash cow here or already giving attention to one of the poor dogs.

Sure, that would be nice. But I guess unless you're an investor, no one will give you that information. Everything else is speculation of more or less informed individuals. Sure anyone's free to speculate and/or speak their mind, but again, without numbers to back things up, numbers the average forum or reddit user doesn't have access to, opinions given will never go beyond speculation. Too many threads draw uninformed conclusions and present those as hard facts. That's why I tend to not pay too much attention to them.

Many people are very happy that he left considering he was responsible - at least he represented the issue - for the 0 hash bans that were totally unjustified and had to be solved via an GDPR inquiry from a player. Astonishing he was still with the company after the layoffs.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> ... at the risk of sounding ignorant, who is Chris Cleary?

Chris Cleary is the ANet representative (or at least the person who spoke about this as the one who decided) who gave the green light for the use of a third party program into this game (contradicting the TOS of the game). And, indirectly, making harder now for ANet to monetize the Build Templates - because the third party program had this feature for free, and working better than what we have now for money. And, as a security leader, stating that all the juridical issues regarding the data collected by this program are not issues, and gathering data without the players consent is something legal.

He was the person working in the security of the game field who was very active in giving economical advises and verdicts answering to many of the players complains regarding the imbalance of some materials sources compared with the demand.

The times he was the security leader were the times when the PvP was "infected" by bots, cheaters, bug exploiters. Few were truly punished - the current state of PvP may be a result of that ... activity. Or inactivity.

As the economical analyst - the actual position he filled after John Smith left ... I cannot comment. It seems that all his struggle to become the economical analyst of the game was only for record. When he reached the position he left the company.

As a conclusion: Chris Cleary was one of the most capable ANet employees. He had answers for all kind of issues, most of them not related with the field he was involved. Shortly, a truly Jolly Joker useful in any situation.