It's 7+ years and still no name reset. Why?

Xar.6279

> @"Krzysztof.5973" said:

> Y'all acting like your character names will be gone tomorrow. He wants to reset character on inactive accounts. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone didn't login for X years they don't care if they lose it or not. Simple as that.

See my post about being physically unable to login for 3 years, not just choosing not, but being unable to. I still cared about my account.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Krzysztof.5973" said:

> > Y'all acting like your character names will be gone tomorrow. He wants to reset character on inactive accounts. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone didn't login for X years they don't care if they lose it or not. Simple as that.

>

> See my post about being physically unable to login for 3 years, not just choosing not, but being unable to. I still cared about my account.

Even if you can't access a PC a single time during those 3 years I find it hard to believe that you don't have access to the internet in that time. Logging into the website counts as accessing your account.

ANet should place a pinned post up stating.

No posts about character name reset.

No posts about Guild Wars 2 is dead.

It's never going to happen, and highly unlikely going to happen, respectively.

So don't bother.

Also, getting friends to agree with you, does not defeat the unanimous majority of people here that are totally against it.

Every single account created with ANet is a potential customer and buyer.

Circumstances change in life all the time.

Just because someone isn't playing, or hasn't for a few years, doesn't mean that they don't want the account or lost interest.

A player might return and spend a lot more cash in a short period of time than you ever did in the entirety of your account's lifespan.

It's never a good idea, it wouldn't work in this company or any other serious company. Period.

Just use accented characters, just like a lot of people suggested. Including myself... who has also done it a couple of times with 2 of my characters.

You can't tell the difference.

There are many accented letters you can use.

If I'm not mistaken, someone was even kind enough and took the time to elaborate more on the character map.

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Krzysztof.5973" said:

> > > Y'all acting like your character names will be gone tomorrow. He wants to reset character on inactive accounts. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone didn't login for X years they don't care if they lose it or not. Simple as that.

> >

> > See my post about being physically unable to login for 3 years, not just choosing not, but being unable to. I still cared about my account.

>

> Even if you can't access a PC a single time during those 3 years I find it hard to believe that you don't have access to the internet in that time. Logging into the website counts as accessing your account.

Deployments in the middle east are fun, so to is being out to sea with guess what? no internet access, or even better no computers to access the internet on. But i digress. Anet hasnt ever done it and its probably never gonna happen anyways. The number of names that one can come up with..with even a little imagination is limitless, so theres really no reason to ever do this.

With one exception. If an account is perma banned, those names should be reset and made available.

> Y'all acting like your character names will be gone tomorrow. He wants to reset character on inactive accounts. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone didn't login for X years they don't care if they lose it or not. Simple as that.

And yet, forum posters supposedly represent a very small portion of players. As one of that number, I often see posts from people saying, "Returning to game after X time away." with X being multiple years. Anecdotally, I see more such posts than I do posts requesting name purges.

How many more players who return don't post? I don't know. What I do know is that a name purge is going to at least inconvenience -- if not anger -- every player returning whose X is greater than the X used by ANet to determine who loses names. Meanwhile, I am certain that _not_ every player who wants a specific name will get it, and thus some who would want a reset will not be happy even if a reset happened.

The OP's assumption -- and presumably yours -- that no-one will care is probably not correct, and s/he is over-estimating the potential benefit.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > Y'all acting like your character names will be gone tomorrow. He wants to reset character on inactive accounts. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone didn't login for X years they don't care if they lose it or not. Simple as that.

>

> And yet, forum posters supposedly represent a very small portion of players. As one of that number, I often see posts from people saying, "Returning to game after X time away." with X being multiple years. Anecdotally, I see more such posts than I do posts requesting name purges.

>

> How many more players who return don't post? I don't know. What I do know is that a name purge is going to at least inconvenience -- if not anger -- every player returning whose X is greater than the X used by ANet to determine who loses names. Meanwhile, I am certain that _not_ every player who wants a specific name will get it, and thus some who would want a reset will not be happy even if a reset happened.

>

> The OP's assumption -- and presumably yours -- that no-one will care is probably not correct, and s/he is over-estimating the potential benefit.

It's not my post but I proposed 5 years with free throwaway accounts in mind. 2 years OP proposed is way too fast. Also the game is 7 years old with **more** to come. And in my humble opinion there **could** be a character name reset at some point to clear the database.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > Simple solution: Let us have a second name which we can hide. Several people can then have the same first name.

>

> I hope not. A world full of Legolas is not what inspires.

I know. Isn't it just?

I can't get my head around that they find it hard to come up with a decent, original, and unique name.

What's wrong with these people?

Let us give them an example.

Squall Leonhart

Squall Léonhart

Squall Leonheart

Squall Léonheart

Squall Lionheart

Squall Líonheart

Sqúall Leonhart

Sqúall Léonhart

Sqúall Lionhart

Sqúall Líonhart

Sqúall Lionheart

Sqúall Líonheart

On and on...

Variations.

Typhon Lionheart

Storm Lionheart

Gale Lionheart

Blizzard Lionheart

So on so forth.

Do you know how long that took me?

2 minutes.

What's wrong with you?

Really?

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Krzysztof.5973" said:

> > > > Y'all acting like your character names will be gone tomorrow. He wants to reset character on inactive accounts. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone didn't login for X years they don't care if they lose it or not. Simple as that.

> > >

> > > See my post about being physically unable to login for 3 years, not just choosing not, but being unable to. I still cared about my account.

> >

> > Even if you can't access a PC a single time during those 3 years I find it hard to believe that you don't have access to the internet in that time. Logging into the website counts as accessing your account.

>

> Deployments in the middle east are fun, so to is being out to sea with guess what? no internet access, or even better no computers to access the internet on. But i digress. Anet hasnt ever done it and its probably never gonna happen anyways. The number of names that one can come up with..with even a little imagination is limitless, so theres really no reason to ever do this.

>

> With one exception. If an account is perma banned, those names should be reset and made available.

The official statement is: Banned accounts should not be rewarded with being able to create new accounts and retrieve their character names.

> @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > Simple solution: Let us have a second name which we can hide. Several people can then have the same first name.

> >

> > I hope not. A world full of Legolas is not what inspires.

>

> I know. Isn't it just?

> I can't get my head around that they find it hard to come up with a decent, original, and unique name.

> What's wrong with these people?

>

> Let us give them an example.

> Squall Leonhart

> Squall Léonhart

> Squall Leonheart

> Squall Léonheart

> Squall Lionheart

> Squall Líonheart

> Sqúall Leonhart

> Sqúall Léonhart

> Sqúall Lionhart

> Sqúall Líonhart

> Sqúall Lionheart

> Sqúall Líonheart

>

> On and on...

>

> Variations.

> Typhon Lionheart

> Storm Lionheart

> Gale Lionheart

> Blizzard Lionheart

> So on so forth.

>

> Do you know how long that took me?

> 2 minutes.

> What's wrong with you?

> Really?

>

So when lfg bugs out or I just want to /sqjoin on somebody you expect me to google every single possible accent in human languages so I can copy-paste it? Wonderful idea. I'd rather follow my friend's steps and name his characters after actresses of a kind (:

> > @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > > Simple solution: Let us have a second name which we can hide. Several people can then have the same first name.

> > >

> > > I hope not. A world full of Legolas is not what inspires.

> >

> > I know. Isn't it just?

> > I can't get my head around that they find it hard to come up with a decent, original, and unique name.

> > What's wrong with these people?

> >

> > Let us give them an example.

> > Squall Leonhart

> > Squall Léonhart

> > Squall Leonheart

> > Squall Léonheart

> > Squall Lionheart

> > Squall Líonheart

> > Sqúall Leonhart

> > Sqúall Léonhart

> > Sqúall Lionhart

> > Sqúall Líonhart

> > Sqúall Lionheart

> > Sqúall Líonheart

> >

> > On and on...

> >

> > Variations.

> > Typhon Lionheart

> > Storm Lionheart

> > Gale Lionheart

> > Blizzard Lionheart

> > So on so forth.

> >

> > Do you know how long that took me?

> > 2 minutes.

> > What's wrong with you?

> > Really?

> >

>

> So when lfg bugs out or I just want to /sqjoin on somebody you expect me to google every single possible accent in human languages so I can copy-paste it? Wonderful idea. I'd rather follow my friend's steps and name his characters after actresses of a kind (:

The point is that there are many ways that you can come up with a name, rather than ask somebody to give up theirs, just because you want it.

It is a wonderful idea.

Much better than nagging how someone else got the name you want for days.

You don't need to type the character name at all.

There are many ways to message the person with just a few clicks.

You are trying to make a comeback with an argument that makes no fundamental sense whatsoever.

Is it so hard to admit that the whole concept of name resetting or purging is completely ridiculous?

Look at all the comments.

99% of people who commented are completely against it.

Just get over it.

Someone even posted that if an account gets banned, so do the names along with it.

That’s ANets statements, period!

I'd close this thread now if I was a mod here.

This is obviously getting nowhere.

Nothing constructive is coming to fruition out of this.

> @"grouchybhaal.4275" said:

> If the name is taken, then it was probably a little "too edgy". Use that imagination, be strong and think of a unique name

Not sure that's the problem. Two of my recent temporary characters have had names which are literally a play on 'edge lord' and both went through on the first try.

Admittedly one probably looks like gibberish unless you know Welsh and a bit of Welsh history, and I'm aware that obscurity somewhat ruins the joke, but it was amusing to me.

> > > @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > > > Simple solution: Let us have a second name which we can hide. Several people can then have the same first name.

> > > >

> > > > I hope not. A world full of Legolas is not what inspires.

> > >

> > > I know. Isn't it just?

> > > I can't get my head around that they find it hard to come up with a decent, original, and unique name.

> > > What's wrong with these people?

> > >

> > > Let us give them an example.

> > > Squall Leonhart

> > > Squall Léonhart

> > > Squall Leonheart

> > > Squall Léonheart

> > > Squall Lionheart

> > > Squall Líonheart

> > > Sqúall Leonhart

> > > Sqúall Léonhart

> > > Sqúall Lionhart

> > > Sqúall Líonhart

> > > Sqúall Lionheart

> > > Sqúall Líonheart

> > >

> > > On and on...

> > >

> > > Variations.

> > > Typhon Lionheart

> > > Storm Lionheart

> > > Gale Lionheart

> > > Blizzard Lionheart

> > > So on so forth.

> > >

> > > Do you know how long that took me?

> > > 2 minutes.

> > > What's wrong with you?

> > > Really?

> > >

> >

> > So when lfg bugs out or I just want to /sqjoin on somebody you expect me to google every single possible accent in human languages so I can copy-paste it? Wonderful idea. I'd rather follow my friend's steps and name his characters after actresses of a kind (:

>

> The point is that there are many ways that you can come up with a name, rather than ask somebody to give up theirs, just because you want it.

> It is a wonderful idea.

> Much better than nagging how someone else got the name you want for days.

>

> You don't need to type the character name at all.

> There are many ways to message the person with just a few clicks.

>

> You are trying to make a comeback with an argument that makes no fundamental sense whatsoever.

> Is it so hard to admit that the whole concept of name resetting or purging is completely ridiculous?

>

> Look at all the comments.

> 99% of people who commented are completely against it.

> Just get over it.

> Someone even posted that if an account gets banned, so do the names along with it.

> That’s ANets statements, period!

> I'd close this thread now if I was a mod here.

> This is obviously getting nowhere.

> Nothing constructive is coming to fruition out of this.

You can't message someone from the lfg without entering the squad or/and being on the same overflow, next to him or typing down his name with /w command. That's a fact not an opinion. Fact you didn't even bother checking.

You also don't type this way.

That is not how you type at all.

If clearing up the database from useless f2p accounts that are inactive for over 5 years or names from account that is permanently banned makes no "sense" to you then you shouldn't even bother discussing this subject. Just because your wonderful person disagrees, it doesn't make OP's argument invalid.

You have now changed the tune and are targeting f2p accounts, just because it might have a name that you want, instead of using your creativity.

Please humanity, stop using popular anime names because some very few entitled people want it.

How dare you humanity, use a pokemon name. How dare you?

They're reserved, you know?

You're running my youth... I should be at school!

Really dude?

> > > > > @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > > > > > Simple solution: Let us have a second name which we can hide. Several people can then have the same first name.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I hope not. A world full of Legolas is not what inspires.

> > > > >

> > > > > I know. Isn't it just?

> > > > > I can't get my head around that they find it hard to come up with a decent, original, and unique name.

> > > > > What's wrong with these people?

> > > > >

> > > > > Let us give them an example.

> > > > > Squall Leonhart

> > > > > Squall Léonhart

> > > > > Squall Leonheart

> > > > > Squall Léonheart

> > > > > Squall Lionheart

> > > > > Squall Líonheart

> > > > > Sqúall Leonhart

> > > > > Sqúall Léonhart

> > > > > Sqúall Lionhart

> > > > > Sqúall Líonhart

> > > > > Sqúall Lionheart

> > > > > Sqúall Líonheart

> > > > >

> > > > > On and on...

> > > > >

> > > > > Variations.

> > > > > Typhon Lionheart

> > > > > Storm Lionheart

> > > > > Gale Lionheart

> > > > > Blizzard Lionheart

> > > > > So on so forth.

> > > > >

> > > > > Do you know how long that took me?

> > > > > 2 minutes.

> > > > > What's wrong with you?

> > > > > Really?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > So when lfg bugs out or I just want to /sqjoin on somebody you expect me to google every single possible accent in human languages so I can copy-paste it? Wonderful idea. I'd rather follow my friend's steps and name his characters after actresses of a kind (:

> > >

> > > The point is that there are many ways that you can come up with a name, rather than ask somebody to give up theirs, just because you want it.

> > > It is a wonderful idea.

> > > Much better than nagging how someone else got the name you want for days.

> > >

> > > You don't need to type the character name at all.

> > > There are many ways to message the person with just a few clicks.

> > >

> > > You are trying to make a comeback with an argument that makes no fundamental sense whatsoever.

> > > Is it so hard to admit that the whole concept of name resetting or purging is completely ridiculous?

> > >

> > > Look at all the comments.

> > > 99% of people who commented are completely against it.

> > > Just get over it.

> > > Someone even posted that if an account gets banned, so do the names along with it.

> > > That’s ANets statements, period!

> > > I'd close this thread now if I was a mod here.

> > > This is obviously getting nowhere.

> > > Nothing constructive is coming to fruition out of this.

> >

> > You can't message someone from the lfg without entering the squad or typing down his name with /w command. That's a fact not an opinion. Fact you didn't even bother checking.

> >

> > You also don't type this way.

> >

> > That is not how you type at all.

> >

> > If clearing up the database from useless f2p accounts that are inactive for over 5 years or names from account that is permanently banned makes no "sense" to you then you shouldn't even bother discussing this subject. Just because your wonderful person disagrees, it doesn't make OP's argument invalid.

>

> You have now changed the tune and are targeting f2p accounts, just because it might have a name that you want, instead of using your creativity.

>

> Please humanity, stop using popular anime names because some very few entitled people want it.

> How dare you humanity, use a pokemon name. How dare you?

> They're reserved, you know?

>

> Really dude?

Honey, I literally mentioned f2p accounts 4 days ago.

> > > @"Krzysztof.5973" said:

> > > > @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > > > > @"Krzysztof.5973" said:

> > > > > > @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > > > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > > > > > > Simple solution: Let us have a second name which we can hide. Several people can then have the same first name.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I hope not. A world full of Legolas is not what inspires.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I know. Isn't it just?

> > > > > > I can't get my head around that they find it hard to come up with a decent, original, and unique name.

> > > > > > What's wrong with these people?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Let us give them an example.

> > > > > > Squall Leonhart

> > > > > > Squall Léonhart

> > > > > > Squall Leonheart

> > > > > > Squall Léonheart

> > > > > > Squall Lionheart

> > > > > > Squall Líonheart

> > > > > > Sqúall Leonhart

> > > > > > Sqúall Léonhart

> > > > > > Sqúall Lionhart

> > > > > > Sqúall Líonhart

> > > > > > Sqúall Lionheart

> > > > > > Sqúall Líonheart

> > > > > >

> > > > > > On and on...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Variations.

> > > > > > Typhon Lionheart

> > > > > > Storm Lionheart

> > > > > > Gale Lionheart

> > > > > > Blizzard Lionheart

> > > > > > So on so forth.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Do you know how long that took me?

> > > > > > 2 minutes.

> > > > > > What's wrong with you?

> > > > > > Really?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > So when lfg bugs out or I just want to /sqjoin on somebody you expect me to google every single possible accent in human languages so I can copy-paste it? Wonderful idea. I'd rather follow my friend's steps and name his characters after actresses of a kind (:

> > > >

> > > > The point is that there are many ways that you can come up with a name, rather than ask somebody to give up theirs, just because you want it.

> > > > It is a wonderful idea.

> > > > Much better than nagging how someone else got the name you want for days.

> > > >

> > > > You don't need to type the character name at all.

> > > > There are many ways to message the person with just a few clicks.

> > > >

> > > > You are trying to make a comeback with an argument that makes no fundamental sense whatsoever.

> > > > Is it so hard to admit that the whole concept of name resetting or purging is completely ridiculous?

> > > >

> > > > Look at all the comments.

> > > > 99% of people who commented are completely against it.

> > > > Just get over it.

> > > > Someone even posted that if an account gets banned, so do the names along with it.

> > > > That’s ANets statements, period!

> > > > I'd close this thread now if I was a mod here.

> > > > This is obviously getting nowhere.

> > > > Nothing constructive is coming to fruition out of this.

> > >

> > > You can't message someone from the lfg without entering the squad or typing down his name with /w command. That's a fact not an opinion. Fact you didn't even bother checking.

> > >

> > > You also don't type this way.

> > >

> > > That is not how you type at all.

> > >

> > > If clearing up the database from useless f2p accounts that are inactive for over 5 years or names from account that is permanently banned makes no "sense" to you then you shouldn't even bother discussing this subject. Just because your wonderful person disagrees, it doesn't make OP's argument invalid.

> >

> > You have now changed the tune and are targeting f2p accounts, just because it might have a name that you want, instead of using your creativity.

> >

> > Please humanity, stop using popular anime names because some very few entitled people want it.

> > How dare you humanity, use a pokemon name. How dare you?

> > They're reserved, you know?

> >

> > Really dude?

>

> Honey, I literally mentioned f2p accounts 4 days ago.

Honey?

Woah there.

Hold yer horses... I never saw that by the way.

Still. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

There's a middle ground.

ANet could have a way to deal with that.

Message or email all f2p only accounts inactive for 5 years or more.

Then, if the person replies saying that they're not interested, then, and only then they would delete the account.

If the person says yes, keep it.

If there's no answer, give it another period of time, and then delete it.

I think that's their best bet.

But I'm not saying that I completely agree with it, mind.

Just using a bit of democracy here.

There are still way too many names out there that are not taken for ANet to even consider purging names.

Spend some time coming up with an alternate name or spelling or try your luck with seeing if the owner of the account still plays and is willing to release the name either for free or for cost.

> > > > > @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > > > > > @"Krzysztof.5973" said:

> > > > > > > @"SoulGuardian.6203" said:

> > > > > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"ROMANG.1903" said:

> > > > > > > > > Simple solution: Let us have a second name which we can hide. Several people can then have the same first name.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I hope not. A world full of Legolas is not what inspires.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I know. Isn't it just?

> > > > > > > I can't get my head around that they find it hard to come up with a decent, original, and unique name.

> > > > > > > What's wrong with these people?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Let us give them an example.

> > > > > > > Squall Leonhart

> > > > > > > Squall Léonhart

> > > > > > > Squall Leonheart

> > > > > > > Squall Léonheart

> > > > > > > Squall Lionheart

> > > > > > > Squall Líonheart

> > > > > > > Sqúall Leonhart

> > > > > > > Sqúall Léonhart

> > > > > > > Sqúall Lionhart

> > > > > > > Sqúall Líonhart

> > > > > > > Sqúall Lionheart

> > > > > > > Sqúall Líonheart

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > On and on...

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Variations.

> > > > > > > Typhon Lionheart

> > > > > > > Storm Lionheart

> > > > > > > Gale Lionheart

> > > > > > > Blizzard Lionheart

> > > > > > > So on so forth.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Do you know how long that took me?

> > > > > > > 2 minutes.

> > > > > > > What's wrong with you?

> > > > > > > Really?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So when lfg bugs out or I just want to /sqjoin on somebody you expect me to google every single possible accent in human languages so I can copy-paste it? Wonderful idea. I'd rather follow my friend's steps and name his characters after actresses of a kind (:

> > > > >

> > > > > The point is that there are many ways that you can come up with a name, rather than ask somebody to give up theirs, just because you want it.

> > > > > It is a wonderful idea.

> > > > > Much better than nagging how someone else got the name you want for days.

> > > > >

> > > > > You don't need to type the character name at all.

> > > > > There are many ways to message the person with just a few clicks.

> > > > >

> > > > > You are trying to make a comeback with an argument that makes no fundamental sense whatsoever.

> > > > > Is it so hard to admit that the whole concept of name resetting or purging is completely ridiculous?

> > > > >

> > > > > Look at all the comments.

> > > > > 99% of people who commented are completely against it.

> > > > > Just get over it.

> > > > > Someone even posted that if an account gets banned, so do the names along with it.

> > > > > That’s ANets statements, period!

> > > > > I'd close this thread now if I was a mod here.

> > > > > This is obviously getting nowhere.

> > > > > Nothing constructive is coming to fruition out of this.

> > > >

> > > > You can't message someone from the lfg without entering the squad or typing down his name with /w command. That's a fact not an opinion. Fact you didn't even bother checking.

> > > >

> > > > You also don't type this way.

> > > >

> > > > That is not how you type at all.

> > > >

> > > > If clearing up the database from useless f2p accounts that are inactive for over 5 years or names from account that is permanently banned makes no "sense" to you then you shouldn't even bother discussing this subject. Just because your wonderful person disagrees, it doesn't make OP's argument invalid.

> > >

> > > You have now changed the tune and are targeting f2p accounts, just because it might have a name that you want, instead of using your creativity.

> > >

> > > Please humanity, stop using popular anime names because some very few entitled people want it.

> > > How dare you humanity, use a pokemon name. How dare you?

> > > They're reserved, you know?

> > >

> > > Really dude?

> >

> > Honey, I literally mentioned f2p accounts 4 days ago.

>

> Honey?

> Woah there.

> Hold yer horses... I never saw that by the way.

> Still. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

> There's a middle ground.

> ANet could have a way to deal with that.

>

> Message or email all f2p only accounts inactive for 5 years or more.

> Then, if the person replies saying that they're not interested, then, and only then they would delete the account.

>

> If the person says yes, keep it.

> If there's no answer, give it another period of time, and then delete it.

>

> I think that's their best bet.

> But I'm not saying that I completely agree with it, mind.

> Just using a bit of democracy here.

Could do what swtor does and every f2p account toon that hasn't reached level 20 and is inactive for more than 6 months, name may be taken by another player.

Once lvl 20 is reached, name is permanently yours

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > If I have say 1000 USD in cash in my matrass and haven't used it in 7 years, why on earth should it be taken from me and why should you have it?

> I get your point, but arguing with metaphors is always risky. Your example here isn't quite a match. The money is already yours. Technically, nothing in game is yours as you are only allowed to use it due to the licensing agreement.

>

> Oh, and I don't agree with the OP. Just pointing out the slight fallacy in this comparison.

>

This is a dangerous discussion as it derails from the original topic, but the argument about the license agreement is less valid as stated.

To explain this. I know the license agreement and more important the other legal documentation. What is stated there and where we agreed to is in violation with most trade laws as we did pay to get access to the game (including the right to pick a character name as our own). Withdrawing this access or changing part of the service (e.g. by taking away ones name), is ok by the legal docs, but not by most laws, unless there is a very good reason to it. I know of games who did a reset also cause they had name restrictions (length, one word, etc) that caused a good reason. But the convenience of giving a name to another player is not a good reason and a violation of several trade laws.

It happens often that user agreements are more strict then laws and this creates a grey area. Most companies know this and try to avoid this, specifically when it affects large groups of players and the positive impact is lesser compared to the negative impact.

> @"grouchybhaal.4275" said:

> Could do what swtor does and every f2p account toon that hasn't reached level 20 and is inactive for more than 6 months, name may be taken by another player.

> Once lvl 20 is reached, name is permanently yours

But seriously, why? Does anyone really think throwaway f2p accounts that were abandonned half an hour in hog all the cool names? Do those players that just try out the game for a bit really spend that much creativity on their characters that those names are worth all this trouble?

Especially since the game only became f2p mid 2015, so they already had a limited name pool.

I'm really glad GW2 lets its players take breaks without taking anything from the characters. We even get birthday gifts without logging in for years. For me, this attitude towards the players made returning much easier. :) If instead I had been greeted by broken characters without names... Hm... I don't know if I had wanted to stay then.

> Xar might be community clown but he has a point. If your sorry (insert kitten here) stopped playing 5 years ago you should have no objections about name reset. Like seriously, It's been 5 years. If you couldn't find couple seconds in those years just to login once then you are very likely not coming back to the game. And since the game became F2P in 2015 (5 years soon), the flood of play-for-30min-and-forget players that made a character and forgot about the game should be flushed down the drain. So a name reset in 2020 would not be a bad idea.

https://i.imgur.com/ozCbZoV.png

No, if they were to reset names then I would hope they would be ready to offer refunds as well. I say this even as I had a player tell me before launch they were going to take one of my names once they made it over here. No if someone locks down a name it should be theirs. This is in regards to paying accounts, resetting free to play names might be different but would still question it. Have seen people with names that on the surface appear the same. My guess is that they added in nbsp characters to have the name appear the same but be different. If that's the case then it's even less likely that all the variants of the name would be used. "Jon Snow", "Jon Snow ", "Jon Snow ", "Jon Snow ",..."Jon Snow ". But no would not be cool with just losing my name from below me, that being either active in game or not.

> @"Fenella.2634" said:

> > @"grouchybhaal.4275" said:

> > Could do what swtor does and every f2p account toon that hasn't reached level 20 and is inactive for more than 6 months, name may be taken by another player.

> > Once lvl 20 is reached, name is permanently yours

> But seriously, why? Does anyone really think throwaway f2p accounts that were abandonned half an hour in hog all the cool names? Do those players that just try out the game for a bit really spend that much creativity on their characters that those names are worth all this trouble?

> Especially since the game only became f2p mid 2015, so they already had a limited name pool.

>

> I'm really glad GW2 lets its players take breaks without taking anything from the characters. We even get birthday gifts without logging in for years. For me, this attitude towards the players made returning much easier. :) If instead I had been greeted by broken characters without names... Hm... I don't know if I had wanted to stay then.

Level 20 is reached in 2 hour of gameplay, so a f2p that (takes about 3 hours in swtor). If you have came back after 2 hours of game play... And thats most likely why swtor does it that way... If you cant invest 2 hours into that charater in 6 months, someone else might