Way Points

When Silverwastes first came out it really felt like dying had a consequence, as it was a long way to get back to where you were .

The new maps seem to have the same design philosophy of very few way points.

Though now that we have mounts to me the lack of way points feels tedious/annoying rather than a consequence.

The only consequence to fewer WP is just making it tedious.

Actual consequences for death is easy and there isn't any need to mess with waypoints. Put the fight in an enclosed space. Once you die then you are dead. No ressing(like in raids). No way to re-entery. If you are not alive when the boss dies then you get nothing.

Why is travelling back to where you were more tedious/annoying with mounts than it was on foot? Surely it is less so?

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> If having a few waypoints and no mounts made dying have a consequence and having a few waypoints with mounts makes dying tedious/annoying then it sounds like what would make dying consequential again for you is removing all waypoints but one per map.

Or removing mounts...

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> Why is travelling back to where you were more tedious/annoying with mounts than it was on foot? Surely it is less so?

>

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > If having a few waypoints and no mounts made dying have a consequence and having a few waypoints with mounts makes dying tedious/annoying then it sounds like what would make dying consequential again for you is removing all waypoints but one per map.

>

> Or removing mounts...

True true

What the OP should reasonably do is restrict himself. After death he should use only the farthest waypoint on the map and he shouldn’t use mounts to get back. That way death will have consequences for him again, getting back to the fight will not be annoying or tedious, and he won’t have to ask ANet to change the game to make it more fun for him.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > I strongly dislike Arenanet's stinginess with Waypoints since Siren's Landing.

>

> because they really want to push people towards mounts

>

> the thinking being that the higher movement speed makes up for the distance but unfortunately it doesn't in many cases

It's not about mounts.

It's about having people waste time traversing unnecessarily long distance over and over again, just to fuel their time-played metric.

The faster movement speed doesn't even come close to making up the time spent to **trying to get out of combat with monsters half across the map that haven't even seen you.**

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > I strongly dislike Arenanet's stinginess with Waypoints since Siren's Landing.

> >

> > because they really want to push people towards mounts

> >

> > the thinking being that the higher movement speed makes up for the distance but unfortunately it doesn't in many cases

> It's not about mounts.

> It's about having people waste time traversing unnecessarily long distance over and over again, just to fuel their time-played metric.

> The faster movement speed doesn't even come close to making up the time spent to **trying to get out of combat with monsters half across the map that haven't even seen you.**

God that bolded portion is so true..

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > I strongly dislike Arenanet's stinginess with Waypoints since Siren's Landing.

> >

> > because they really want to push people towards mounts

> >

> > the thinking being that the higher movement speed makes up for the distance but unfortunately it doesn't in many cases

> It's not about mounts.

> It's about having people waste time traversing unnecessarily long distance over and over again, just to fuel their time-played metric.

> The faster movement speed doesn't even come close to making up the time spent to **trying to get out of combat with monsters half across the map that haven't even seen you.**

Wasn't sure if I wanted to crank my cynicism level that high but it would certainly be unfortunate if developers focused on how to extend playtime by wasting people's time rather than focusing on making things fun so that people will want to repeat it on their own.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> be glad you arent playing WoW, it's not uncommon to spend 15min running back to your corpse

I actually am (for maybe 2 disconnected months a year).

Still doesn't make me like the treatment of player travel in either game.

I also still feel disgusted about Pathfinder and no flying as a ghost, but that are different topics.

> @"magnusthorek.8027" said:

> What would be the point in having more WPs if, considering the messed up "contesting" system (I'm looking at you, Orr) you'd probably having to port somewhere else, maybe even far from the action, and run/ride back to fray.

I still think they need to remove that everywhere, except for the god temples in Orr.>

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> Wasn't sure if I wanted to crank my cynicism level that high but it would certainly be unfortunate if developers focused on how to extend playtime by wasting people's time rather than focusing on making things fun so that people will want to repeat it on their own.

As crepuscular.9047 pointed out, WoW did that from the beginning.

And it got worse with the Legion expansion, that designed the maps **obviously** with flying in mind, yet only gave players flying on those maps after 3/4 of the expansion's run time. The current expansion did the same.