I'm going to lose my mind - Thief CC skills

mes.4607

I've noticed that thieves can seriously lock me down in unranked. I'm not even sure what the heck is going on. I'm assuming it's a mix of F1, Guardian daze/stun stolen skill and Pistol 4. Probably other skills I'm not listing as well. Am I the only one losing their mind? With the decrease of stability access, their CC **hurts**. I think this needs to be addressed ASAP, along with Firebrand and Necromancer

Of all the classes to complain about CC-wise (including actual lockdown machines like Warrior) you pick ... thief? Thief barely has CC, mostly a 1 second daze on Steal and maybe Immob on Infiltrators Strike. CC right now is a problem. Thieves is not, their CC is among the worst. Main offenders are Warriors, possibly Mesmers (Assuming there are Mesmer builds that are good enough. Im not sure, I havent seen many), Necros and Elementalists.

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> Honestly as someone who likes thief I will admit that the team messed up giving DE imobilize on kneel r4 lol I was trolling unranked and wvw with it and its out ridiculous given the fact u can spam it cuz ini. Literally imobilize spam and auto until they get close disengage and repeat till dead.

The Kneel version of 2 (Spotters Shot) sucks, and has always sucked. You didnt use it over Skirmishers shot before the patch (Which meant you never kneeled), you sure as hell dont do now that its damage is halved. Its pathetic how little damage it does, and any half-competent player can abuse the fact that youre basically tickling them and kill you after you waste your initiative on it.

> @"mrauls.6519" said:

> I've noticed that thieves can seriously lock me down in unranked. I'm not even sure what the heck is going on. I'm assuming it's a mix of F1, Guardian daze/stun stolen skill and Pistol 4. Probably other skills I'm not listing as well. Am I the only one losing their mind? With the decrease of stability access, their CC **hurts**. I think this needs to be addressed ASAP, along with Firebrand and Necromancer

The only major change I can think of that I'm noticing is Shortbow as Choking Gas now 100% a daze regardless of poison stacks.

Yeah I'm sry calling a long range imobilize that's not on a cool down sucky is halarious. I love thief but that's ridiculously broken and trolly at its finest. A close range or melee imobilize using ini isnt so bad as it puts the thief if melee range or close to its opponent but a long range spamable imobilize? Cmon lol.

I love just sitting on a raised terrain etc spamming imobilize while my teamates destroyed the targets lol. Like I said if they charge u u just disengage and repeat till dead in a lot of cases. Especially now stun breaks and cd's are longer :)

> Honestly as someone who likes thief I will admit that the team messed up giving DE imobilize on kneel r4 lol I was trolling unranked and wvw with it and its out ridiculous given the fact u can spam it cuz ini. Literally imobilize spam and auto until they get close disengage and repeat till dead.

do you mean rifle 2?

it is also half the damage of stand rifle 2

> @"Crab Fear.1624" said:

> > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > Honestly as someone who likes thief I will admit that the team messed up giving DE imobilize on kneel r4 lol I was trolling unranked and wvw with it and its out ridiculous given the fact u can spam it cuz ini. Literally imobilize spam and auto until they get close disengage and repeat till dead.

>

> do you mean rifle 2?

>

> it is also half the damage of stand rifle 2

Yeah spam kneel r2 and auto's lol it's funny as .......

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > The Kneel version of 2 (Spotters Shot) sucks, and has always sucked.

>

> lol. lots of people used it to secure DJs. now its even more useful in calling out targets and spamming immob on them. pretty much a guaranteed kill.

Oh people certainly tried that. They quickly realised that with the prevalence of condi cleanses thanks to, yknow, the meta, as well as the various specific anti-immob skills and traits other classes had, it would not be able to secure DJs at all. People further realised that even when immobilised, people still had multiple ways of negating DJ, and that lowering your damage to hope to hit a DJ that will never hit was foolish. And finally people realised that if they try to kneel and go for Spotters Shot, the enemy just dodges backwards, ends up out of your range, and youll sit there looking stupid having just lost your only chance to ever kill them.

Once people realised all that, they realised that Spotters Shot was a trap, and that you should never kneel, instead relying on skirmishing shot for your damage rather than hoping for the enemy to screw up enough times to be hit by a DJ. And its even more of a trap now.

> Yeah I'm sry calling a long range imobilize that's not on a cool down sucky is halarious. I love thief but that's ridiculously broken and trolly at its finest. A close range or melee imobilize using ini isnt so bad as it puts the thief if melee range or close to its opponent but a long range spamable imobilize? Cmon lol.

> I love just sitting on a raised terrain etc spamming imobilize while my teamates destroyed the targets lol. Like I said if they charge u u just disengage and repeat till dead in a lot of cases. Especially now stun breaks and cd's are longer :)

A long range immobilise thats not on a cooldown ,but also does no damage. Sure, if youre together with a teammate that is actually threatening, it can be good. But if youre with a teammate that is threatening, you know what also is good? Just doing damage to the same target. Death is the best CC after all.

Nah ,what happens is either of the following. First, they charge you. You try to disengage, but to your shock and horror realise that you just wasted all of your initiative on Spotters Shots that failed to do any noticable damage. So youre forced to blow one of your 1-2 stunbreaks, and also keep your distance until you regen your initiative, while hoping that the enemy is not any of the classes that can keep up with thief. This ends in a loss.

Or, alternatively, they dodge backwards. Your entire strategy, your entire plan, ruined by 1 button. At that point you wont be able to catch up to them at all, and if you were with a teammate, that teammate is now likely to die.

So in truth, your best case scenario is that your target just turns around and walks away. The worst case scenario is that you are forced to burn your valuable cooldowns and run the hell away. There is however no possibility against a half-decent target that your spotters shot spam succeeds. Thats why you spam skirmishers shot. It does 3 times the DPS, after all.

> @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > Yeah I'm sry calling a long range imobilize that's not on a cool down sucky is halarious. I love thief but that's ridiculously broken and trolly at its finest. A close range or melee imobilize using ini isnt so bad as it puts the thief if melee range or close to its opponent but a long range spamable imobilize? Cmon lol.

> > I love just sitting on a raised terrain etc spamming imobilize while my teamates destroyed the targets lol. Like I said if they charge u u just disengage and repeat till dead in a lot of cases. Especially now stun breaks and cd's are longer :)

>

> A long range immobilise thats not on a cooldown ,but also does no damage. Sure, if youre together with a teammate that is actually threatening, it can be good. But if youre with a teammate that is threatening, you know what also is good? Just doing damage to the same target. Death is the best CC after all.

>

> Nah ,what happens is either of the following. First, they charge you. You try to disengage, but to your shock and horror realise that you just wasted all of your initiative on Spotters Shots that failed to do any noticable damage. So youre forced to blow one of your 1-2 stunbreaks, and also keep your distance until you regen your initiative, while hoping that the enemy is not any of the classes that can keep up with thief. This ends in a loss.

>

> Or, alternatively, they dodge backwards. Your entire strategy, your entire plan, ruined by 1 button. At that point you wont be able to catch up to them at all, and if you were with a teammate, that teammate is now likely to die.

>

> So in truth, your best case scenario is that your target just turns around and walks away. The worst case scenario is that you are forced to burn your valuable cooldowns and run the hell away. There is however no possibility against a half-decent target that your spotters shot spam succeeds. Thats why you spam skirmishers shot. It does 3 times the DPS, after all.

But does no damage? That's what autos etc are for lol. It constantly allows u to delete a lot of classes buy just using auto's lol I've done it a crap tone and feels cheesy to do even as a thief player. Best scenario player turn and walks away? Tough for them to do so when ur applying imobilize every couple seconds in between autos and the odd 3 round burst all from a good range.

> > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > Yeah I'm sry calling a long range imobilize that's not on a cool down sucky is halarious. I love thief but that's ridiculously broken and trolly at its finest. A close range or melee imobilize using ini isnt so bad as it puts the thief if melee range or close to its opponent but a long range spamable imobilize? Cmon lol.

> > > I love just sitting on a raised terrain etc spamming imobilize while my teamates destroyed the targets lol. Like I said if they charge u u just disengage and repeat till dead in a lot of cases. Especially now stun breaks and cd's are longer :)

> >

> > A long range immobilise thats not on a cooldown ,but also does no damage. Sure, if youre together with a teammate that is actually threatening, it can be good. But if youre with a teammate that is threatening, you know what also is good? Just doing damage to the same target. Death is the best CC after all.

> >

> > Nah ,what happens is either of the following. First, they charge you. You try to disengage, but to your shock and horror realise that you just wasted all of your initiative on Spotters Shots that failed to do any noticable damage. So youre forced to blow one of your 1-2 stunbreaks, and also keep your distance until you regen your initiative, while hoping that the enemy is not any of the classes that can keep up with thief. This ends in a loss.

> >

> > Or, alternatively, they dodge backwards. Your entire strategy, your entire plan, ruined by 1 button. At that point you wont be able to catch up to them at all, and if you were with a teammate, that teammate is now likely to die.

> >

> > So in truth, your best case scenario is that your target just turns around and walks away. The worst case scenario is that you are forced to burn your valuable cooldowns and run the hell away. There is however no possibility against a half-decent target that your spotters shot spam succeeds. Thats why you spam skirmishers shot. It does 3 times the DPS, after all.

>

> But does no damage? That's what autos etc are for lol. It constantly allows u to delete a lot of classes buy just using auto's lol I've done it a kitten tone and feels cheesy to do even as a thief player.

I hate to tell you this, but autos dont do much damage either. Specifically, they do 33.33333% more damage than your spotters shot. Your overall DPS compared to a guy smart enough to just not kneel and spam skirmishers shot is about 1/3. That ... is really low. It takes the skirmishers shot guy usually quite a bit to kill even the squishiest target. Itll take you at least 3 times as long. Hell, against several classes Im pretty sure your damage is so low that you are straight up *not able to kill them*. And I dont mean just Soulbeast and Core Necro. I dont think you can kill *any* Warrior, or Weaver, or hell even a core Engineer. No, it doesnt allow you to delete them. It allows you to lower your combat effectiveness by so much, a WvW NPC is probably more threatening.

> @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > Yeah I'm sry calling a long range imobilize that's not on a cool down sucky is halarious. I love thief but that's ridiculously broken and trolly at its finest. A close range or melee imobilize using ini isnt so bad as it puts the thief if melee range or close to its opponent but a long range spamable imobilize? Cmon lol.

> > > > I love just sitting on a raised terrain etc spamming imobilize while my teamates destroyed the targets lol. Like I said if they charge u u just disengage and repeat till dead in a lot of cases. Especially now stun breaks and cd's are longer :)

> > >

> > > A long range immobilise thats not on a cooldown ,but also does no damage. Sure, if youre together with a teammate that is actually threatening, it can be good. But if youre with a teammate that is threatening, you know what also is good? Just doing damage to the same target. Death is the best CC after all.

> > >

> > > Nah ,what happens is either of the following. First, they charge you. You try to disengage, but to your shock and horror realise that you just wasted all of your initiative on Spotters Shots that failed to do any noticable damage. So youre forced to blow one of your 1-2 stunbreaks, and also keep your distance until you regen your initiative, while hoping that the enemy is not any of the classes that can keep up with thief. This ends in a loss.

> > >

> > > Or, alternatively, they dodge backwards. Your entire strategy, your entire plan, ruined by 1 button. At that point you wont be able to catch up to them at all, and if you were with a teammate, that teammate is now likely to die.

> > >

> > > So in truth, your best case scenario is that your target just turns around and walks away. The worst case scenario is that you are forced to burn your valuable cooldowns and run the hell away. There is however no possibility against a half-decent target that your spotters shot spam succeeds. Thats why you spam skirmishers shot. It does 3 times the DPS, after all.

> >

> > But does no damage? That's what autos etc are for lol. It constantly allows u to delete a lot of classes buy just using auto's lol I've done it a kitten tone and feels cheesy to do even as a thief player.

>

> I hate to tell you this, but autos dont do much damage either. Specifically, they do 33.33333% more damage than your spotters shot. Your overall DPS compared to a guy smart enough to just not kneel and spam skirmishers shot is about 1/3. That ... is really low. It takes the skirmishers shot guy usually quite a bit to kill even the squishiest target. Itll take you at least 3 times as long. Hell, against several classes Im pretty sure your damage is so low that you are straight up *not able to kill them*. And I dont mean just Soulbeast and Core Necro. I dont think you can kill *any* Warrior, or Weaver, or hell even a core Engineer. No, it doesnt allow you to delete them. It allows you to lower your combat effectiveness by so much, a WvW NPC is probably more threatening.

DE/TRICK/CS autos do plenty.

> > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > > Yeah I'm sry calling a long range imobilize that's not on a cool down sucky is halarious. I love thief but that's ridiculously broken and trolly at its finest. A close range or melee imobilize using ini isnt so bad as it puts the thief if melee range or close to its opponent but a long range spamable imobilize? Cmon lol.

> > > > > I love just sitting on a raised terrain etc spamming imobilize while my teamates destroyed the targets lol. Like I said if they charge u u just disengage and repeat till dead in a lot of cases. Especially now stun breaks and cd's are longer :)

> > > >

> > > > A long range immobilise thats not on a cooldown ,but also does no damage. Sure, if youre together with a teammate that is actually threatening, it can be good. But if youre with a teammate that is threatening, you know what also is good? Just doing damage to the same target. Death is the best CC after all.

> > > >

> > > > Nah ,what happens is either of the following. First, they charge you. You try to disengage, but to your shock and horror realise that you just wasted all of your initiative on Spotters Shots that failed to do any noticable damage. So youre forced to blow one of your 1-2 stunbreaks, and also keep your distance until you regen your initiative, while hoping that the enemy is not any of the classes that can keep up with thief. This ends in a loss.

> > > >

> > > > Or, alternatively, they dodge backwards. Your entire strategy, your entire plan, ruined by 1 button. At that point you wont be able to catch up to them at all, and if you were with a teammate, that teammate is now likely to die.

> > > >

> > > > So in truth, your best case scenario is that your target just turns around and walks away. The worst case scenario is that you are forced to burn your valuable cooldowns and run the hell away. There is however no possibility against a half-decent target that your spotters shot spam succeeds. Thats why you spam skirmishers shot. It does 3 times the DPS, after all.

> > >

> > > But does no damage? That's what autos etc are for lol. It constantly allows u to delete a lot of classes buy just using auto's lol I've done it a kitten tone and feels cheesy to do even as a thief player.

> >

> > I hate to tell you this, but autos dont do much damage either. Specifically, they do 33.33333% more damage than your spotters shot. Your overall DPS compared to a guy smart enough to just not kneel and spam skirmishers shot is about 1/3. That ... is really low. It takes the skirmishers shot guy usually quite a bit to kill even the squishiest target. Itll take you at least 3 times as long. Hell, against several classes Im pretty sure your damage is so low that you are straight up *not able to kill them*. And I dont mean just Soulbeast and Core Necro. I dont think you can kill *any* Warrior, or Weaver, or hell even a core Engineer. No, it doesnt allow you to delete them. It allows you to lower your combat effectiveness by so much, a WvW NPC is probably more threatening.

>

> DE/TRICK/CS autos do plenty.

Ill do you one better, Im running DE CS DA (Trickery is ironically not that neccessary on M7 builds). Guess what? My autos still do about 2k on a squishy target. Thats not surprising, theyre supposed to. Your build will fail to kill even squishies so long as theyre not literally unarmored, or forget that DJ exists.

> @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > > > Yeah I'm sry calling a long range imobilize that's not on a cool down sucky is halarious. I love thief but that's ridiculously broken and trolly at its finest. A close range or melee imobilize using ini isnt so bad as it puts the thief if melee range or close to its opponent but a long range spamable imobilize? Cmon lol.

> > > > > > I love just sitting on a raised terrain etc spamming imobilize while my teamates destroyed the targets lol. Like I said if they charge u u just disengage and repeat till dead in a lot of cases. Especially now stun breaks and cd's are longer :)

> > > > >

> > > > > A long range immobilise thats not on a cooldown ,but also does no damage. Sure, if youre together with a teammate that is actually threatening, it can be good. But if youre with a teammate that is threatening, you know what also is good? Just doing damage to the same target. Death is the best CC after all.

> > > > >

> > > > > Nah ,what happens is either of the following. First, they charge you. You try to disengage, but to your shock and horror realise that you just wasted all of your initiative on Spotters Shots that failed to do any noticable damage. So youre forced to blow one of your 1-2 stunbreaks, and also keep your distance until you regen your initiative, while hoping that the enemy is not any of the classes that can keep up with thief. This ends in a loss.

> > > > >

> > > > > Or, alternatively, they dodge backwards. Your entire strategy, your entire plan, ruined by 1 button. At that point you wont be able to catch up to them at all, and if you were with a teammate, that teammate is now likely to die.

> > > > >

> > > > > So in truth, your best case scenario is that your target just turns around and walks away. The worst case scenario is that you are forced to burn your valuable cooldowns and run the hell away. There is however no possibility against a half-decent target that your spotters shot spam succeeds. Thats why you spam skirmishers shot. It does 3 times the DPS, after all.

> > > >

> > > > But does no damage? That's what autos etc are for lol. It constantly allows u to delete a lot of classes buy just using auto's lol I've done it a kitten tone and feels cheesy to do even as a thief player.

> > >

> > > I hate to tell you this, but autos dont do much damage either. Specifically, they do 33.33333% more damage than your spotters shot. Your overall DPS compared to a guy smart enough to just not kneel and spam skirmishers shot is about 1/3. That ... is really low. It takes the skirmishers shot guy usually quite a bit to kill even the squishiest target. Itll take you at least 3 times as long. Hell, against several classes Im pretty sure your damage is so low that you are straight up *not able to kill them*. And I dont mean just Soulbeast and Core Necro. I dont think you can kill *any* Warrior, or Weaver, or hell even a core Engineer. No, it doesnt allow you to delete them. It allows you to lower your combat effectiveness by so much, a WvW NPC is probably more threatening.

> >

> > DE/TRICK/CS autos do plenty.

>

> Ill do you one better, Im running DE CS DA (Trickery is ironically not that neccessary on M7 builds). Guess what? My autos still do about 2k on a squishy target. Thats not surprising, theyre supposed to. Your build will fail to kill even squishies so long as theyre not literally unarmored, or forget that DJ exists.

Ur doin somthing wrong if ur using CS/DA/DE and not doing enough to down squishy opponents by mostly auto's with good kiting.

> > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > > > @"UNOwen.7132" said:

> > > > > > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > > > > > Yeah I'm sry calling a long range imobilize that's not on a cool down sucky is halarious. I love thief but that's ridiculously broken and trolly at its finest. A close range or melee imobilize using ini isnt so bad as it puts the thief if melee range or close to its opponent but a long range spamable imobilize? Cmon lol.

> > > > > > > I love just sitting on a raised terrain etc spamming imobilize while my teamates destroyed the targets lol. Like I said if they charge u u just disengage and repeat till dead in a lot of cases. Especially now stun breaks and cd's are longer :)

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A long range immobilise thats not on a cooldown ,but also does no damage. Sure, if youre together with a teammate that is actually threatening, it can be good. But if youre with a teammate that is threatening, you know what also is good? Just doing damage to the same target. Death is the best CC after all.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Nah ,what happens is either of the following. First, they charge you. You try to disengage, but to your shock and horror realise that you just wasted all of your initiative on Spotters Shots that failed to do any noticable damage. So youre forced to blow one of your 1-2 stunbreaks, and also keep your distance until you regen your initiative, while hoping that the enemy is not any of the classes that can keep up with thief. This ends in a loss.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Or, alternatively, they dodge backwards. Your entire strategy, your entire plan, ruined by 1 button. At that point you wont be able to catch up to them at all, and if you were with a teammate, that teammate is now likely to die.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So in truth, your best case scenario is that your target just turns around and walks away. The worst case scenario is that you are forced to burn your valuable cooldowns and run the hell away. There is however no possibility against a half-decent target that your spotters shot spam succeeds. Thats why you spam skirmishers shot. It does 3 times the DPS, after all.

> > > > >

> > > > > But does no damage? That's what autos etc are for lol. It constantly allows u to delete a lot of classes buy just using auto's lol I've done it a kitten tone and feels cheesy to do even as a thief player.

> > > >

> > > > I hate to tell you this, but autos dont do much damage either. Specifically, they do 33.33333% more damage than your spotters shot. Your overall DPS compared to a guy smart enough to just not kneel and spam skirmishers shot is about 1/3. That ... is really low. It takes the skirmishers shot guy usually quite a bit to kill even the squishiest target. Itll take you at least 3 times as long. Hell, against several classes Im pretty sure your damage is so low that you are straight up *not able to kill them*. And I dont mean just Soulbeast and Core Necro. I dont think you can kill *any* Warrior, or Weaver, or hell even a core Engineer. No, it doesnt allow you to delete them. It allows you to lower your combat effectiveness by so much, a WvW NPC is probably more threatening.

> > >

> > > DE/TRICK/CS autos do plenty.

> >

> > Ill do you one better, Im running DE CS DA (Trickery is ironically not that neccessary on M7 builds). Guess what? My autos still do about 2k on a squishy target. Thats not surprising, theyre supposed to. Your build will fail to kill even squishies so long as theyre not literally unarmored, or forget that DJ exists.

>

> Ur doin somthing wrong if ur using CS/DA/DE and not doing enough to down squishy opponents by mostly auto's with good kiting.

Oh no, I am killing them. Remember, Im using Skirmishers Shot. You however are using Spotters Shot. With that, you wont kill anything. Hell, even if the opponent would not heal at all, and not dodge at all, youd need something like, hm, 6 seconds to kill them? Add in dodges, healing, and kind of active defense and that number goes way up. And theyre not gonna stand still. Quite the opposite, if theyre squishy that means they are mobile and go in for the kill. You are, quite simply put, fucked if you try to go for kneel and spotters shot. Just stick to the vastly superior Skirmishers Shot.

> @"ArlAlt.1630" said:

> > @"Shao.7236" said:

> > Biggest offender still Thief being able to use Steal while stunned.

>

> Shhhh, thief mains will immediately point at Mirage Cloak as an excuse...

Anet is learned how fix it. Sleight of hand additionally removes 50 endurance ;)

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> It's not only Thief.

> Spellbreaker is an offender of CC spam and permanent lock-down as well.

I think you mean Warrior (Mace, Shield, Hammer, utility skills, the elite etc.).

Spellbreaker is about punishing boon use and adds very little in the way of CC, even Berserker has more CC overall.