which weapon do you want your class to get in the new expansion?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all assuming we even get new elite specs with the new expansion. I'm not so sure it will happen, but if they do, Rev with Dual Dagger (like Spellbreaker) or Scepter. I'll even accept something way out there like focus, torch or warhorn. Or something awesome like offhand pistol or rifle, but please for the love of all that is right in this world, don't do Greatsword on Rev. Don't cater to the emo fanbois that want to use Twilight with Mallyx just so they can cream all over their monitors as they look at their characters and play Linkin Park or other cliched emo bands in the background. We don't need that. Give us something sensible and don't give all the heavy classes a Greatsword. Might as well just make a Warrior or Guardian at that point!

EDIT: If the whole argument for Power on Rev is greatsword, why not just give every class a Greatsword so they too can have a maximum power build? Sorry, but that argument has never and will never hold water.

Well if they're going to balance weapons (and keep ingame economy from chaos), the least used weapons in terms of classes are:

pistol (only used by thief, engineer, mesmer offhand) --- maybe on ranger or warrior offhand

shortbow (thief, ranger, renegade) --- I could only see this on warrior but it doesn't seem like it would be a meaningful addition

rifle (engineer, deadeye, warrior) --- could see it on ranger?

mace (guardian, warrior, revenant so it's popular player-wise) --- maybe on engineer

longbow (ranger, DH, warrior) --- probably three most popular classes use it so unlikely getting more ; by weapon mastery statistic one of the most used

warhorn (ranger, tempest, necro, warrior) --- used by popular classes so unlikely

hammer (revenant, warrior,guardian,scrapper) --- unlikely

scepter (mesmer,necro,ele, guardian) -- unlikely as revenant probably won't get an added power ranged weapon

focus (mesmer,necro,ele,guardian) --- unlikely but perhaps rev

torch (guardian,ranger,scourge,mesmer,berserker) --- unlikely , could see it on revenant as a pure condi DPS melee range weapon instead of axe offhand

shield (guardian,warrior,chrono,engineer,herald) -- unlikely

Staff and sword are over represented already (7 or 8 of 9 classes) and to a lesser extent greatsword (5/9) , axe (6/9) and dagger (5/9) too.

By class:

Guardian - warhorn or shortbow ? (warhorn seems to be likely as guardian lacks mobility so a warhorn-offhand higher mobility spec) unless something out of the ordinary such as offhand mace, axe or sword

Warrior - most likely offhand once more (pistol?)

Revenant - quite a few options but a support (warhorn/focus?), condi/CC melee (offhand mace?), ranged offhand (focus?), or ranged condi option might be it (scepter?)

Ranger - Rifle or hammer seem the likely options if not pistol, as a "hunter" class it seems very likely rifle is the pick

Engineer - mace , or maybe torch? (holo was mostly power and so was scrapper, so maybe a torch offhand condi spec?)

Thief - seems like mace is likely an option as its a martial weapon typically with CC , but people are clamoring for katanas so Greatsword might happen

Elementalist - torch or shield ? I can't see an elementalist using a projectile weapon such as a bow /rifle/pistol

Necromancer - no idea honestly

Mesmer - no idea

Engineer/Golemancer- Staff/Golems. This is one I thought they would have come out with already. My take on it, would be a minionmancer build, something of a blend of Necro and Ranger. Aside from the fact that there are already Asurans with the title, there is plenty of lore reasons to give it a go. Oola put forth the idea of blending golems and necromancy, Blish had his consciousness implanted in a golem, Exalted/Forged are souls implanted into magic armor, and we've even fought two big enemies that have relied on armies of the dead. Time to fight fire with fire. The new utility "Golem" would come in a few flavors: Medibot, Shieldbot, Axebot, Snipebot, Megabot. Activating one would summon a permanent minion. The activated golem would have their hotkey replaced with a self-destruct option, while any other golem summon options would be replaced with a new utility with the summoned golem as the point of origin. Let's say we called out Medibot. This golem would follow you around and provide a continuous healing effect in an area. Using the Medibot utility again would cause it to release a pulse of area healing and place a water or light field. Using Shieldbot, Axebot or Snipebot's utilities while Medibot is active would result in Medibot putting out Area Resistance, a whirl finisher or a ranged dazing strike, respectively. A potential list of the golems powers for active/self-destruct/utility: Medibot continuous healing/field/condition cleanse, Shieldbot pulsing area Protection/Area Stability/Resistance, Axebot melee attacks/Area Might and Fury/Whirl Finisher, Snipebot ranged attacks/Area Quickness/Ranged Daze. Megabot could be a mix of them.

Elementalist/Warmage- Rifle/Wells. When I first heard about ele's, I figured that they would be all about big, giant AoE attacks. And while staff can do that to a degree, the builds that I tend to see most people run is more like a spastic ninja. Depending on attunement, the range and effect of the rifle will vary. Earth attunement treats the rifle as something of a shotgun, with short conical attacks. Air is more of a sniper, emphasizing range and single target hits. Fire acts like a grenade launcher, single target splash damage. Water will have ricochet healing effects. And for the last and newest attuntment, Arcane! When using any weapon, Arcane will be more about gimmicks rather than straight damage/conditions. Lots of light/chaos fields, stripping boons from enemies, prolonging the duration of allied boons and so on. Wells will be about control as well: Air Well will act as a lightning rod for enemy ranged attacks, Earth Well is create a circular wall to pen in targets, Water Well creates an icy field that can knockdown enemies, Fire Well create a field of magma to burn enemies, Arcane Well pauses the countdown of conditions on enemies until they leave the field.

Mesmer/Bard- Warhorn/Stance. While I certainly could have gone Warhorn/Shout, I thought that would be copying Tempest a bit too much. The Bard is all about group-hug, something of a combination of Tempest and Scourge. The standard Shatter skills are replaced with Echoes, rather than dealing damage they instead provide extra boons and healing to allies. Much like a Scourge's sand shades, the Bard's clones are counted as an origin point when they use Stances and some other utilities, letting the Bard help allies from a distance.

Ranger - Rifle - "Hunter" - Range, Power DPS, Boost to Pet interaction

Thief - Torch - "Saboteur" - Condi DPS, Support, Crowd Control, Kits

Engi - Mace - "Marauder" - Melee, Power DPS, Crowd Control, Boost to Turrets

Warrior - Melee Staff - "Monk" - Support, Mantras, Healing

Reventant - Greatsword - "Dark Knight" - Melee, Condi DPS, Life Stealing, Offensive Boons

Guardian - Warhorn - "Paragon" - Support, Healing, Surivability, Defensive Boons

Mesmer - Dagger -"Warlock" - Range, Power DPS, Illusionary Weapons/Minions instead of Clones/Phantasms

Elementalist - Longbow - "Strategist" - Range, Support, Offensive and Defensive Boons, Crowd Control

Necromancer - Sword - "Exorcist" - Melee, Condi DPS, Cleanses, Channeling different entities for effects

> @"Kanok.3027" said:

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > Reventant - Greatsword - "Dark Knight" - Melee, Condi DPS, Life Stealing, Offensive Boons

>

> We literally already have that. This adds nothing new.

Being negative is easy, coming up with things is a bit harder. Keep hatin' m8, it helps ;)

Ranger's too nature-y connected to use pistol or rifle. Gunpowder goes against pretty much all the ranger/nature RPG archetypes and tropes.

Also, rifle and longbow would be the same thing unless you make the rifle a shotgun.

Hammer is way cooler. Bunny thumpers are still the best.

Ranger's melee weapons outside of greatsword are extremely lame anyways.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> Being negative is easy, coming up with things is a bit harder. Keep hatin' m8, it helps ;)

_Because somehow my post was found "offensive", I'm posting practically the same thing, except without, I guess, the part that harms other forum goers._

I did. Read above. Also, we have Mallyx and Kalla with Mace/Axe that does the exact same thing. Just an attempt to get Greatsword on Revenant because Twilight.

> @"Shaogin.2679" said:

> What do you mean to early to influence their decisions. Most likely, they literally just started working on this expansion and it is a couple of years away.

>

> As for the weapon I want for Engineer, I really want a staff. As for the role, either a support spec worthy of being meta in raids and fractals, or some sort of AoE damage spec that makes us wanted in WvW meta zergs. Or also, a good PvP condi spec.

I really doubt they would of just started this tbh. If anything they would of started this ages ago and paused it or moved a lot of resources from it and now are picking it back up.

> @"AzureTerra.1642" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > All these people talking about Bow, greatsword or hammer for ele...

> The summoned ones are elementally locked so wanting to lay the smack down with a Earth, water or fire hammer isnt an option

Can’t argue that.

I just want something more original..

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Smoosh.2718" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > Necro Sword (mainhand)

> > > Elementalist Long or Shortbow

> > > Mesmer Dagger (duel)

> > > Thief Greatsword (Katana theme)

> > > Ranger Shield

> > > Engineer Staff

> > > Warrior Sceptor

> > > Guardian Pistol (mainhand)

> > > Revenant Warhorn

> >

> > Dare I ask, what is a warrior going to do with sceptor that it doesnt already do with other weapons?

> > I honestly can only see pistol bringing something new,

> > Staff is just another GS/Hammer which warrior doesnt need.

>

> No idea xD

> Warrior having such a huge list of usable weapons already kinda puts heavy limits on their new weapon choices for future specs.

> Pistol is an obvious choice that's somewhat fitting to Warrior so I wanted to go with something completely different that would kind of flip the Warrior class into something unexpected.

> Staff could achieve that as well but I think if Staff were to become a Warrior Weapon I'd expect it to be a Melee combat stick rather than a magic staff (which tbh would work very well for a Canthan based elite spec)

> Sceptor just feels the most out of place weapon for a Warrior which could provide a unique new playstyle which would feel very foreign to what a Warrior is right now.

> Plus it's a ranged weapon which Warrior is kind of lackluster in these days, perhaps Sceptor could specialize more as a ranged CC weapon and put down Aoe's, or Warriors could get access to Wells or something.

>

> The main thing i'd like from this next Warrior spec though is the ability to pull, currently Warrior has no access to this mechanic with exception to a single underwater skill.

> Considering one of the main complaints I see about Rangers is them easily playing keep away with more Melee focused classes like Warrior in PVP thanks to Ranger having great Range preassure, I think Warriors could really use a good pull skill to help them counter some of that Ranged playstyle.

>

> Edit* After giving it some thought I think the combination of Sceptor and Axe would be awesome if the Sceptor also had a pull on it.

> Warrior at range Sceptor autoing and seeing their chance, Hits the pull yanking their foe into Melee range, Duel Strike for double quickness and then rip them to pieces with a quickness infused Whirling Axe!! then as they instantly realize they are in trouble and attempt to get away.. then you have a choice, remain in Sceptor Axe and whack em down with Sceptors range or swap into a Melee setup like Greatsword and chase them down with your usual melee skills.

>

> If warrior got access to wells too then you could set one up prior to the pull to take advantage of the whirl finisher from Whirling Axe, this could be a brutal combination with chilling bolts, crippling the enemy's ability to get away with Chill, or Poison bolts, crippling their ability to heal.

I honestly believe warrior should get the 1h pistol for main hand and off hand. Since it cant use magic (anets design) pistol is the most suited weapon to warrior.

Staff is a sound choice but it doesnt bring anything new.

Pistol will really expand the way you can play warrior, giving it the ability to now take a ranged approach while also having some defence, Shield and Sword offhand, this will make tanking as a warrior or kiting others a thing. Having a pistol will also mean that the warrior will be able to be a mid range bruiser with the HP pool to keep in that range.

The utilities that it comes with however is the part that is also important, if it takes a support role then i hope it gains new F1 - F5 skills, bursts being F1 and F2-F5 (switchable in position on the F keys) being AOE buffs that use adren. this will expand the playstyle even more allowing the warrior to play an active support role that brings something new. Heck they could even call the spec the commander for all i care, with minions (fellow soldiers that you can summon). Would be an interesting twist since our current friends are banners that is the most passive boring things in existance. If not summons, then potential of kits or deployable tech that you can place down on the ground. Picture a physical shield that you can place down on the ground that has a health bar stopping damage passing through till its destroyed. This is what I hope for, something that makes the warrior a little more complex in design and a mass load of playstyles.

As for CC, warrior already has many tools that provide CC, so i dont believe the warrior needs any more weapons that provide a CC.

The one thing i beg of anet is though, stop making condition weapons a thing till you reduce the stacks you can apply, currently they arent condition damage but easy to land damage that can 100 - 0 something with 1 skill use and little input.

> @"Smoosh.2718" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > @"Smoosh.2718" said:

> > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > Necro Sword (mainhand)

> > > > Elementalist Long or Shortbow

> > > > Mesmer Dagger (duel)

> > > > Thief Greatsword (Katana theme)

> > > > Ranger Shield

> > > > Engineer Staff

> > > > Warrior Sceptor

> > > > Guardian Pistol (mainhand)

> > > > Revenant Warhorn

> > >

> > > Dare I ask, what is a warrior going to do with sceptor that it doesnt already do with other weapons?

> > > I honestly can only see pistol bringing something new,

> > > Staff is just another GS/Hammer which warrior doesnt need.

> >

> > No idea xD

> > Warrior having such a huge list of usable weapons already kinda puts heavy limits on their new weapon choices for future specs.

> > Pistol is an obvious choice that's somewhat fitting to Warrior so I wanted to go with something completely different that would kind of flip the Warrior class into something unexpected.

> > Staff could achieve that as well but I think if Staff were to become a Warrior Weapon I'd expect it to be a Melee combat stick rather than a magic staff (which tbh would work very well for a Canthan based elite spec)

> > Sceptor just feels the most out of place weapon for a Warrior which could provide a unique new playstyle which would feel very foreign to what a Warrior is right now.

> > Plus it's a ranged weapon which Warrior is kind of lackluster in these days, perhaps Sceptor could specialize more as a ranged CC weapon and put down Aoe's, or Warriors could get access to Wells or something.

> >

> > The main thing i'd like from this next Warrior spec though is the ability to pull, currently Warrior has no access to this mechanic with exception to a single underwater skill.

> > Considering one of the main complaints I see about Rangers is them easily playing keep away with more Melee focused classes like Warrior in PVP thanks to Ranger having great Range preassure, I think Warriors could really use a good pull skill to help them counter some of that Ranged playstyle.

> >

> > Edit* After giving it some thought I think the combination of Sceptor and Axe would be awesome if the Sceptor also had a pull on it.

> > Warrior at range Sceptor autoing and seeing their chance, Hits the pull yanking their foe into Melee range, Duel Strike for double quickness and then rip them to pieces with a quickness infused Whirling Axe!! then as they instantly realize they are in trouble and attempt to get away.. then you have a choice, remain in Sceptor Axe and whack em down with Sceptors range or swap into a Melee setup like Greatsword and chase them down with your usual melee skills.

> >

> > If warrior got access to wells too then you could set one up prior to the pull to take advantage of the whirl finisher from Whirling Axe, this could be a brutal combination with chilling bolts, crippling the enemy's ability to get away with Chill, or Poison bolts, crippling their ability to heal.

>

> I honestly believe warrior should get the 1h pistol for main hand and off hand. Since it cant use magic (anets design) pistol is the most suited weapon to warrior.

Pistol is a fine weapon choice it's just a very common suggestion at this point so I wanted to think of something different that people don't tend to go for.

About the magic thing though that's not really true, pretty much all classes utalize magic in some way, part of how this universe works.

It is extremely rare for any living being on Tyria to be born without natural magical abilities.

In the case of Warriors their magic is focused more through their physical abilities and some minor magical skills like signets.

Back in Gw1 too you could duel class so Warriors could sling fireballs or use minions if they wanted too.

So Warriors can technically use all kinds of magic in this universe much like all professions.

Fun fact too, early in Gw2's development the game did have a second profession system but it never made it into the final game.

> Pistol will really expand the way you can play warrior, giving it the ability to now take a ranged approach while also having some defence, Shield and Sword offhand, this will make tanking as a warrior or kiting others a thing. Having a pistol will also mean that the warrior will be able to be a mid range bruiser with the HP pool to keep in that range.

>

Sceptor could do this as well since it's also a one handed range weapon.

Warrior does have LB and Rifle for Ranged play but I think most of us agree these weapons are not very good and could use some serious upgrades.

> The utilities that it comes with however is the part that is also important, if it takes a support role then i hope it gains new F1 - F5 skills, bursts being F1 and F2-F5 (switchable in position on the F keys) being AOE buffs that use adren. this will expand the playstyle even more allowing the warrior to play an active support role that brings something new. Heck they could even call the spec the commander for all i care, with minions (fellow soldiers that you can summon). Would be an interesting twist since our current friends are banners that is the most passive boring things in existance. If not summons, then potential of kits or deployable tech that you can place down on the ground. Picture a physical shield that you can place down on the ground that has a health bar stopping damage passing through till its destroyed. This is what I hope for, something that makes the warrior a little more complex in design and a mass load of playstyles.

>

Sounds like how the old Guardian spirit weapons worked, I honestly wouldn't mind something like that for Warrior.

I'm big on Minion play myself, love Necro minons and a while back my Ranger ran Spirits for years before they were given that HP degen rubbish and are now near useless imo

What i'm hoping for though is Warriors to get a good boost in the Range department, so I'd like them to be able to put down a lot of ranged AoE so Wells was the first thing to come to my mind.

> As for CC, warrior already has many tools that provide CC, so i dont believe the warrior needs any more weapons that provide a CC.

>

Warrior does have a lot of CC but it's almost all close range stuns which are not that useful if you can't get in close.

I think Warriors really need at least 1 land skill that can pull and atm the only pull they have access to is Underwater.

Being an almost exclusively melee based class atm it would be a huge benefit if they had a pull and it could easily be balanced with a long CD to avoid overuse while also being punishing for careless play.

>

> Pistol is a fine weapon choice it's just a very common suggestion at this point so I wanted to think of something different that people don't tend to go for.

> About the magic thing though that's not really true, pretty much all classes utalize magic in some way, part of how this universe works.

> It is extremely rare for any living being on Tyria to be born without natural magical abilities.

> In the case of Warriors their magic is focused more through their physical abilities and some minor magical skills like signets.

> Back in Gw1 too you could duel class so Warriors could sling fireballs or use minions if they wanted too.

> So Warriors can technically use all kinds of magic in this universe much like all professions.

> Sceptor could do this as well since it's also a one handed range weapon.

> Warrior does have LB and Rifle for Ranged play but I think most of us agree these weapons are not very good and could use some serious upgrades.

>

I personally see pistol fitting a warrior more than a sceptor, never personally liked the idea of waving a stick around in all honesty, i like the aspect of warrior that avoids using magic (spell breaker kinda took a different approach however) Warriors ranged weapons are still in need of change i must admit. Rifle's blanket change made it more interesting to spam keys but still does the same job without feeling any different (unroot that darn F1 skill already).

>

> What i'm hoping for though is Warriors to get a good boost in the Range department, so I'd like them to be able to put down a lot of ranged AoE so Wells was the first thing to come to my mind.

>

I am on the other fence for this one, i believe the game needs less AOE else you encourage brainless game play in pvp, where its a war on who can keep the other off the cicle the longest by spamming aoes in the middle, too easy to land and need to change.

>

> Warrior does have a lot of CC but it's almost all close range stuns which are not that useful if you can't get in close.

> I think Warriors really need at least 1 land skill that can pull and atm the only pull they have access to is Underwater.

> Being an almost exclusively melee based class atm it would be a huge benefit if they had a pull and it could easily be balanced with a long CD to avoid overuse while also being punishing for careless play.

>

>

>

Pistol could offer a pull with a rapel, fire it off in their direction then pull them into you, maybe even make it a flip skill, pull them in then pistol butt them which dazes the target for up to 1s. That would need to be placed on skill 4 allowing offhand pistol to be used as an engage skill for melee weapons. I honestly can see more builds with pistol than other weapons personally.

## Also please can a developer confirm to me what weapon you're planning to make so i dont end up wasting lots of time and money on making HOPE! I've started making it now, so please don't make me regret it :<