Memory of Battle.

apharma.3741

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> The price of Memories of Battle? Well, I mean it's never a good idea to buy anything immediately after a release. Just wait for the market to calm down. (and sell it to impatient people lol)

While true that prices may temporarily be at a high it's not like this wasn't an issue before. Memories are clearly far more scarce than glory. It is not the new legendaries that has split the differences between memories and glory. It may have made both double in price but that is then from a 30c vs. 7s low mark.

> Yep, shards are garbage. Months for a single piece of armor or weapon is nonsense.

>

> The price of Memories of Battle? Well, I mean it's never a good idea to buy anything immediately after a release. Just wait for the market to calm down. (and sell it to impatient people lol)

As I stated many times , grandmaster mark shards are entirely broken, since they aren't a wallet currency but you need to hold them for nearly a month to make one mark.

There's several easy ways they could solve this, such as eliminating shards entirely for marks , changing it to a wallet currency similar to strike shards (and maybe reducing it from 10 to 5 or even 2-3 shards per mark), adding a way to craft them that doesn't involve memories of battle or time-gated skirmish tickets (badges of tribute is a good option).

You could WvW for a week and get 3 shards or you could get the equivalent 3-4 marks easily in an hour or two of PvE.

> @"Infusion.7149" said:

>

> You could WvW for a week and get 3 shards or you could get the equivalent 3-4 marks easily in an hour or two of PvE.

Just before anyone refutes this, Grandmaster Leatherworker Mark (I'm assuming those would be most expensive?) would cost 25g 13s of materials to craft 3 of them (according to GW2 effic). A single night of Fractal T4s + Recs can yield that amount of currency.

That said though, Grandmaster marks / shards being awarded from pip chests means a WvW only player can acquire ascended gear without also requiring they level crafting, which I think is worth pointing out.

The TP price difference between Memories and Shards is impossible to refute. Everyone knows to keep a stack or two of Shards of Glory on hand in case you want to reset an accessory, because using a stack of Memories of Battle for that would be prohibitively expensive. Couple that with inescapable fact that the amount of players engaging in WvW is exponentially higher than those who play in PvP, much less those who have so many extra Shards of Glory that they would toss them on to the TP.

There is no way ANET isn't aware of this, which suggests two possibilities: they don't see this as an issue, or this is by design.

> @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> Stop buying stuff with your currencies and you'll also have as much as the elite hoarders who say no to more rewards!

Who ever said you need to stop buying or hoard anything?

If you want to play 5% of the games content, do the same thing all the time (possibly while semi-afking) without interacting with server's economy and expect to have "everything for anything you want" just because you tag a camp once every 10 minutes then mmorpgs might not be for you, probably should stick to single player hns games.

> Stop buying stuff with your currencies and you'll also have as much as the elite hoarders who say no to more rewards!

I have a metric fuck ton of ascended gear on way too many characters and I still have more currencies than I know what to do with.

This is an issue with people spending what they have in their pocket...

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> A mark shard is _supplimental_ to making ascended via crafting. In addition to the shards you also get a stream of regular mats.. It might not be quite as fast as pve but it sure beats running another map meta

Kind of offtopic, but they should make grandmaster mark shards craftable then if they're stingy with changing the reward into marks.

> TLDR: Please can you add more memories of battle to WvW.

>

> Sources:

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Memory_of_Battle

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Skirmish_Claim_Ticket

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skirmish_Supervisor

From a design stand point, skirmish claim ticket looks static, while Memory of Battle is a floating currency:

- Similar to how a central bank has a base rate, while private banks can set floating rates

- Skirmish claim ticket can only be obtained from combat (can't be traded)

- Memory of battle can be traded (supply and demand defines its pricing)

- Obtaining WvW higher end gear requires both

- Hence 1 balances or anchors the other in order to prevent currency speculation (great work by early devs that understood finance)

One way to obtain more is to sell Unidentified gear from each WvW run, then buy more Memory of battles,

There's other ways to obtain more gold of course, but at the moment this seems like a pretty good trade off: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Piece_of_Rare_Unidentified_Gear and https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Piece_of_Unidentified_Gear

Note however there's already hints to new mechanics from the recent pve release & expansion, Guardian, cough..cough..

So, stocking up more Memory of battle for later gear adjustments never hurts :) hope that helps!

If you have a problem spending your currency you should be asking anet for other money sinks. Disagreeing with people about increasing rewards does nothing to help get rid of the currency you've hoarded and desperate to get rid of. You have a ton of ascended and currency than you know what to do with, well "good" "for" "you", you're not the norm, you're the outlier.

> If you have a problem spending your currency you should be asking anet for other money sinks. Disagreeing with people about increasing rewards does nothing to help get rid of the currency you've hoarded and desperate to get rid of. You have a ton of ascended and currency than you know what to do with, well "good" "for" "you", you're not the norm, you're the outlier.

>

Memory of battle prices have been dropping up until the legendary ring addition. Clearly there were more being sold than bought. Clearly there is enough being pumped into the game.

For anyone else confused,

Skirmish tickets = time gate

Memories of battle = crafting material

Skirmish tickets are just an exchangeable display of time played.

Memories of battle are just like any other crafting material, like powerful vials of blood and such, you get them as you play and if you want more now, you get them off the tp.

If you need more memories of battle, buy them...

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> For anyone else confused,

>

> Skirmish tickets = time gate

> Memories of battle = crafting material

>

> Skirmish tickets are just an exchangeable display of time played.

> Memories of battle are just like any other crafting material, like powerful vials of blood and such, you get them as you play and if you want more now, you get them off the tp.

>

> If you need more memories of battle, buy them...

That's not really true and you know it. The majority of uses for memory of battle is as a currency to buy things with Skirmish Tickets usually, the amount used in crafting for anything but Legendary gear is actually very small, exception being guild hall decoration. You can check that in the links provided.

@"Woop S.7851" That was my point that clearly the supply is not high enough, I wasn't saying mega buff it so everyone is swamped in memories of battle but increasing the amount in the non repeatable Skirmish chests to be on a 1:1 ratio with how much you can spend at vendors would allow for the surplus to be used as intended. To be clear there are memory of battle sinks in the game, resetting mist accessories and a gobbler but you'd never use either because of the rarity of the currency. This speaks volumes of a design problem if people do not use sinks.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > For anyone else confused,

> >

> > Skirmish tickets = time gate

> > Memories of battle = crafting material

> >

> > Skirmish tickets are just an exchangeable display of time played.

> > Memories of battle are just like any other crafting material, like powerful vials of blood and such, you get them as you play and if you want more now, you get them off the tp.

> >

> > If you need more memories of battle, buy them...

>

> That's not really true and you know it. The majority of uses for memory of battle is as a currency to buy things with Skirmish Tickets usually, the amount used in crafting for anything but Legendary gear is actually very small, exception being guild hall decoration. You can check that in the links provided.

Crafting, buying, it doesn't matter when it comes to supply and demand for a material like memories of battle. So I don't really know what you are trying to convey with that paragraph.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> Its the Marks that are way too slow, not the Memories of Battle.

this.

overall i kinda agree, WvW rewards not enough for the time you invest. outside of dailies (i get mine usually done within latest 30min after entering a map, keep cap is random tho). but i got like 2300 of the claim tickets and i even used them to buy infusions, plus i spent them + memories of battle for the infused+attuned (3slot) rings, so i after all had the ressources to spend quite easily over the last months like 1000 memories, having still 580~ left. and i started playing wvw after summer.

in that time, i still barely got 2,5 pieces of ascended stuff from the grandmaster mark shards, which is pretty much ridiculous.

It also does not help that marks cost as much (or sometimes even more) than crafting it normally. I guess you can get around the t7 material requirements, but which one of you actually lacks bloodstone dust?

Also the rings have bloated prices most likely because they are infused. Maybe if they sold a non-infused version it'll help but doubt they'd care.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> Memory of battle prices have been dropping up until the legendary ring addition. Clearly there were more being sold than bought. Clearly there is enough being pumped into the game.

Maybe, but that doesn't explain why the PvP equivalent, Shards of Glory, is a fraction of the cost? Surely there are more people playing WvW than PvP, at least by what you hear from the community?

The only theories I have that can explain the disparity are:

1. More Shards of Glory are given to players than Memories of Battle during the same time period, so even if there are less PvP players, they have more excess Shards to dispose of on the TP

2. Since PvP'ers don't need to craft gear to play PvP, I suppose that means less reasons for them to craft ascended weapons/armor and legendary gear, meaning Shards of Glory are less in demand. I don't know the veracity of this theory though, as while I'm sure there are some PvP only players running around in gem store outfits or default skins, most of the ones I've played with have the same Fashion War requirements as the rest of us, and still want to outfit their toons with gear to play in other game modes.

Even when Memories of Battle were 9s each (22.5 gold per stack) Shards of Glory were around 55c (1.375 gold per stack). That's a dramatic difference, no? And while PvPers still need a stack of Shards to make the Gift of Skirmishing for their legendary amulet, the price of Shards has spiked to...59c? Contrast that to Memories of Battle going from around 9s to 12-14s during the same time frame?

Something is out of a line here, at least from a mathematical standpoint, and this is either a conscious design choice by ANET (for reasons they have yet to explain, and may never) or a gross oversight on their part.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> > For anyone else confused,

> >

> > Skirmish tickets = time gate

> > Memories of battle = crafting material

> >

> > Skirmish tickets are just an exchangeable display of time played.

> > Memories of battle are just like any other crafting material, like powerful vials of blood and such, you get them as you play and if you want more now, you get them off the tp.

> >

> > If you need more memories of battle, buy them...

>

> That's not really true and you know it. The majority of uses for memory of battle is as a currency to buy things with Skirmish Tickets usually, the amount used in crafting for anything but Legendary gear is actually very small, exception being guild hall decoration. You can check that in the links provided.

You can argue about naming it, but the core of his post remains true.

Tickets are time gating a player and make sure he actually participates, memories of battle are a supplementary resource which can be freely sold or bought. And the fact remains that there is a pretty constant stream of them being sold on tp.

> It also does not help that marks cost as much (or sometimes even more) than crafting it normally. I guess you can get around the t7 material requirements, but which one of you actually lacks bloodstone dust?

>

> Also the rings have bloated prices most likely because they are infused. Maybe **if they sold a non-infused version** it'll help but doubt they'd care.

What you wrote makes no sense as the mist band that is a prerequisite is also infused.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > Memory of battle prices have been dropping up until the legendary ring addition. Clearly there were more being sold than bought. Clearly there is enough being pumped into the game.

>

> Maybe, but that doesn't explain why the PvP equivalent, Shards of Glory, is a fraction of the cost? Surely there are more people playing WvW than PvP, at least by what you hear from the community?

>

> The only theories I have that can explain the disparity are:

> 1. More Shards of Glory are given to players than Memories of Battle during the same time period, so even if there are less PvP players, they have more excess Shards to dispose of on the TP

> 2. Since PvP'ers don't need to craft gear to play PvP, I suppose that means less reasons for them to craft ascended weapons/armor and legendary gear, meaning Shards of Glory are less in demand. I don't know the veracity of this theory though, as while I'm sure there are some PvP only players running around in gem store outfits or default skins, most of the ones I've played with have the same Fashion War requirements as the rest of us, and still want to outfit their toons with gear to play in other game modes.

>

> Even when Memories of Battle were 9s each (22.5 gold per stack) Shards of Glory were around 55c (1.375 gold per stack). That's a dramatic difference, no? And while PvPers still need a stack of Shards to make the Gift of Skirmishing for their legendary amulet, the price of Shards has spiked to...59c? Contrast that to Memories of Battle going from around 9s to 12-14s during the same time frame?

>

> Something is out of a line here, at least from a mathematical standpoint, and this is either a conscious design choice by ANET (for reasons they have yet to explain, and may never) or a gross oversight on their part.

You can get the tradable shards of glory from custom arena so that's part of the reason why they're close to worthless. In addition , you can drop in for 2 games of PvP and get meaningful progress whereas for the first tick (which is up to 5 minutes) you get nothing in WvW.

The lowest memories of battle have been this year is around 5s I think. The market was flooded when the warclaw skin reward track was added. Then it shot up back to ~ 6-7s and increased to 9-10s before peaking to 13s when the ring started getting made (recipe put on wiki). It's returned to ~10-12s again.

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/71581-Memory-of-Battle

Given the amount of memory of battle attained during a reward track (25) and about 4 per skirmish tier maximum unless it's the end of a tier, it is still low when PvE spits out 2 silver green unid and 20 silver yellow unids left and right in Dragonfall /Bjora /etc , not even counting the verdant herb farms. If you finish diamond tier skirmish rewards weekly you have 104 from skirmish rewards and then 24 additional every time you finish diamond repeatable. Other than Gift of Battle reward track providing 25, every other reward track is 15 memories of battle.

> @"Infusion.7149" said:

> > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> > It also does not help that marks cost as much (or sometimes even more) than crafting it normally. I guess you can get around the t7 material requirements, but which one of you actually lacks bloodstone dust?

> >

> > Also the rings have bloated prices most likely because they are infused. Maybe **if they sold a non-infused version** it'll help but doubt they'd care.

> What you wrote makes no sense as the mist band that is a prerequisite is also infused.

I meant since they only sell the mist band (infused) in the vendor, that they could sell a cheaper one that wasn't.

> > @"Infusion.7149" said:

> > > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> > > It also does not help that marks cost as much (or sometimes even more) than crafting it normally. I guess you can get around the t7 material requirements, but which one of you actually lacks bloodstone dust?

> > >

> > > Also the rings have bloated prices most likely because they are infused. Maybe **if they sold a non-infused version** it'll help but doubt they'd care.

> > What you wrote makes no sense as the mist band that is a prerequisite is also infused.

>

> I meant since they only sell the mist band (infused) in the vendor, that they could sell a cheaper one that wasn't.

You can get the mist band from fractals in far less time

edit : Kind of offtopic, You can get 15 pristines a day from recs + t4s , no CMs required (2 each) : that's less than a week if you start with zero whereas 350 skirmish tickets is one week reaching diamond in WvW

> @"Infusion.7149" said:

> > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> > > @"Infusion.7149" said:

> > > > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> > > > It also does not help that marks cost as much (or sometimes even more) than crafting it normally. I guess you can get around the t7 material requirements, but which one of you actually lacks bloodstone dust?

> > > >

> > > > Also the rings have bloated prices most likely because they are infused. Maybe **if they sold a non-infused version** it'll help but doubt they'd care.

> > > What you wrote makes no sense as the mist band that is a prerequisite is also infused.

> >

> > I meant since they only sell the mist band (infused) in the vendor, that they could sell a cheaper one that wasn't.

> You can get the mist band from fractals in far less time

>

Not everyone does fractals. And if they did this topic wouldn't exist.

Also 100 pristines are pretty bad. Might as well just gather berries or something (or use reward track for ls3/ls4 currency.)

> @"Infusion.7149" said:

> > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > A mark shard is _supplimental_ to making ascended via crafting. In addition to the shards you also get a stream of regular mats.. It might not be quite as fast as pve but it sure beats running another map meta

>

> Kind of offtopic, but they should make grandmaster mark shards craftable then if they're stingy with changing the reward into marks.

Personally I wish they'd never introduced ascended tier equipment. The skill gap between someone who's been practicing for 7 years and a newbie is brutal enough. But, as they're newbies the power gap just isn't that critical (most fights aren't lost for lack of 10%), more demoralizing. Someone that's losing every 1v1 is gonna be even angrier about also having a stats disadvantage wether it actually matters or not.