Let's talk about ranger GS

Eugchriss.2046

Can some one explain me why the fuck ranger's GS has a built-in shield which is even better(low cd, better utilities) than other classes shield? Like really:

* is not rooted, when herald is

* block all incomming attacks, when guard's shield only block projectiles

* has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when chrono has 40s

* has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when war has 2sec stun on 20s CD (remember one is using shield the other is not)

* has a 3sec block on 25sec cd + knockback + a little evade when war has 3secs block on30secs

Ranger's GS is in my opinion the best 2 handed weapon a class can have. It has gap closer + evade + build-in shied + CC + low cd, high damage skill.

**Greatsword is not a shield**, just saying.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Eugchriss.2046" said:

> Can some one explain me why the kitten ranger's GS has a built-in shield which is even better(low cd, better utilities) than other classes shield? Like really:

> * is not rooted, when herald is

> * block all incomming attacks, when guard's shield only block projectiles

> * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when chrono has 40s

> * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when war has 2sec stun on 20s CD (remember one is using shield the other is not)

> * has a 3sec block on 25sec cd + knockback + a little evade when war has 3secs block on30secs

>

> Ranger's GS is in my opinion the best 2 handed weapon a class can have. It has gap closer + evade + build-in shied + CC + low cd, high damage skill.

> **Greatsword is not a shield**, just saying.

You're doing bad and dishonest comparisons.

Crystal Hibernation heal yourself.

Guard has plenty of other kind blocks and aegis spam. Focus and Shield of Courage are exemples.

Chrono and Mesmer has plenty of other dazes. Chrono shield has 2 x blocks, can be used with Continuum Split and Tides of Time is a mega hard CC.

War has plenty of blocks and evades as well.

So if you want to do other comparisons, since you seem to be a Revenant player, lets look something more close to it:

- Warding Rift : 20 secs 2secs Block and Blind. vs Counterattack 25 secs cooldown 3 secs Block.

- Surge of the Mists : 20 secs Knockback and 1 sec Evade. vs Counterattack Kick stationary 3/4 secs evade.

- Chaotic Release : 20 secs Launch. vs ??? Nothing equivalent on Ranger, maybe Wing Buffet on Beastmode EWyvern that no Rangers use. Shorter Launch, shorter range 25 secs cooldown.

- Temporal Rift : 15 secs Pull vs Path of Scars skill shot Pull.

Shall we nerf Staff Revenant instead ?

Looks fair to me.

> @"Grimjack.8130" said:

> >You're doing bad and dishonest comparisons.

>

> >brings up utilities and other weapons

>

> yep this is the forums alright

Just doing the same thing. Staff Revenant is the closest comparison to it and the Ranger doesn't have a shield. So who started the thread on the bad angle here ?

I was just showing that you can find things done differently in other professions when I brought up Chaotic Release and Temporal Rift. You don't see Ranger players crying about that.

Ele has Invulnerabilities, Blocks, Evades, Barriers and will I try to compare Ranger to it ? No, I will not. It's just different.

After GS block, the Ranger has no weapon to actually work with. Evade on demand from Sword has been removed and the 2 others evades are on non meta weapons such as Shortbow and OH Dagger. So, like, can Ranger has actually something !?

> Can some one explain me why the kitten ranger's GS has a built-in shield which is even better(low cd, better utilities) than other classes shield? Like really:

> * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when war has 2sec stun on 20s CD (remember one is using shield the other is not)

> * has a 3sec block on 25sec cd + knockback + a little evade when war has 3secs block on30secs

>

> Ranger's GS is in my opinion the best 2 handed weapon a class can have. It has gap closer + evade + build-in shied + CC + low cd, high damage skill.

Lol...compared to what? **rev staff** ?

You're comparing a 2 handed weapon to an off hand where warrior can slot : mobility or other block or more daze or pure dmg in the main hand..on top of that warrior has 3x more CC than a ranger so don't even try..

You mention mesmer...**distortion**- blur -evasive reflection and others....

You mention guard...shield only, **focus- mace - shelter** as base, then there is shield of courage if going dragon hunter and anyway, I can play guardian everywhere and with every spec..compared to ranger and guard block all inc attacks and you only mention shield for projectile blocks lol

The ranger hate is real, but it mostly comes from people playing classes with more roles/builds to play compared to ranger relegated to 1v1 some try hard in pvp or wvw and nothing else, when both its elite are hot garbage

> @"Krispera.5087" said:

> > @"Eugchriss.2046" said:

> > Can some one explain me why the kitten ranger's GS has a built-in shield which is even better(low cd, better utilities) than other classes shield? Like really:

> > * is not rooted, when herald is

> > * block all incomming attacks, when guard's shield only block projectiles

> > * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when chrono has 40s

> > * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when war has 2sec stun on 20s CD (remember one is using shield the other is not)

> > * has a 3sec block on 25sec cd + knockback + a little evade when war has 3secs block on30secs

> >

> > Ranger's GS is in my opinion the best 2 handed weapon a class can have. It has gap closer + evade + build-in shied + CC + low cd, high damage skill.

> > **Greatsword is not a shield**, just saying.

> Crystal Hibernation heal yourself.

Yes but it's a shield, it's supposed to have defensive/support utilities. Nothing strange here. The other is not a shield but still behave like one.

> @"Krispera.5087" said:

> > Can some one explain me why the kitten ranger's GS has a built-in shield which is even better(low cd, better utilities) than other classes shield? Like really:

> > * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when war has 2sec stun on 20s CD (remember one is using shield the other is not)

> > * has a 3sec block on 25sec cd + knockback + a little evade when war has 3secs block on30secs

> >

> > Ranger's GS is in my opinion the best 2 handed weapon a class can have. It has gap closer + evade + build-in shied + CC + low cd, high damage skill.

> Guard has plenty of other kind blocks and aegis spam. Focus and Shield of Courage are exemples.

Not the point. I'm talking about shields and GS, not the whole class capabilities.

> @"Krispera.5087" said:

> >

> Chrono and Mesmer has plenty of other dazes. Chrono shield has 2 x blocks, can be used with Continuum Split and Tides of Time is a mega hard CC.

Not the point. I'm talking about shields and GS, not how many dazes each classes have. (+ the last time I played/saw a chrono, I/he never wasted "free" 6secs(or less) for 3secs of a block. Like really never ever)

if Tides of Time is a mega hard CC with 2secs stun, I guess Hilt Bash is just a super hard CC with 1.5sec stun?> @"Krispera.5087" said:

> >

> if you want to do other comparisons, since you seem to be a Revenant player, lets look something more close to it: >

> - Warding Rift : 20 secs 2secs Block and Blind. vs Counterattack 25 secs cooldown 3 secs Block.

> - Surge of the Mists : 20 secs Knockback and 1 sec Evade. vs Counterattack Kick stationary 3/4 secs evade.

> - Chaotic Release : 20 secs Launch. vs ??? Nothing equivalent on Ranger, maybe Wing Buffet on Beastmode EWyvern that no Rangers use. Shorter Launch, shorter range 25 secs cooldown.

> - Temporal Rift : 15 secs Pull vs Path of Scars skill shot Pull.

This is where shit got real pal.

* I am talking about a single weapon, you re talking about 2

* I am talking about weapons, you include utilities

* (you forgot to mention that surge of the mist is rooted when counterattack kick is instant. Was it on purpose pal?)

How dishonest can someone be just to prove someone else is wrong?

@"Krispera.5087" and @"Arheundel.6451"

You guys ~~willingly ~~missed my point.

I m not comparing **whole classes**, I just find it weird that shield, which is supposed to be the most defensive weapon is somehow less defensive than ranger GS. Only engi shield is actually better than the built-in GS shield.

If you want to do a comparison, compare ranger GS with other classes GS.

>! **NONE OF THEM HAS ANY KIND OF BLOCK**.

The **only** CC they have fits the theme. Either pull for reaper/guard because it s a melee weapon either knockback for mes because it a ranged weapon.

No matter ranger lovers say and their super biased opinions, GS is on elf the very best weapons in the game. And its true, it dmg, stun, evade, leap, and block. Arheundel.6451 and this guy, lmao. A ranger has LB4, GS5, GS4, random pet CC as stuns. An by the way, GS5 also refreshes GS2.War has shield 4 and bulls charge. also for soulbeast, its merge skills have 1-2 stuns.

How exactly is this a problem?

- It's on a 20 sec cooldown

- Doesn't require a utility skill slot

- Doesn't flip if not attacked

Then we have Bandit's Defense which nobody complains about:

- Had 12 sec cooldown

- Required utility slot

- Worked the same except evade on cc

Makes no sense.

> @"rng.1024" said:

> How exactly is this a problem?

I think it's because you get it for free, kind of. You take an offensive/utility weapon and get a strong defensive skill.

Let's compare defensive capabilities of all GS in the game in no particular order:

1) Warrior greatsword

Evade+

Mobility++

2) Ranger greatsword

Evade+

Mobility+

Block+

3) Necromancer greatsword

AoE blind+

4) Guardian greatsword

Mobility+

5) Mesmer greatsword

Knockback+

Solution: Replace Ranger GS4 with an actual damaging skill similar to maul. Might have a small range or a small leap (backwards or forwards).

> @"Tayga.3192" said:

> > @"rng.1024" said:

> > How exactly is this a problem?

>

> I think it's because you get it for free, kind of. You take an offensive/utility weapon and get a strong defensive skill.

>

> Let's compare defensive capabilities of all GS in the game in no particular order:

> 1) Warrior greatsword

> Evade+

> Mobility++

> 2) Ranger greatsword

> Evade+

> Mobility+

> Block+

> 3) Necromancer greatsword

> AoE blind+

> 4) Guardian greatsword

> Mobility+

> 5) Mesmer greatsword

> Knockback+

>

> Solution: Replace Ranger GS4 with an actual damaging skill similar to maul. Might have a small range or a small leap (backwards or forwards).

No

> @"rng.1024" said:

> How exactly is this a problem?

>

> - It's on a 20 sec cooldown

> - Doesn't require a utility skill slot

> - Doesn't flip if not attacked

>

> Then we have Bandit's Defense which nobody complains about:

> - Had 12 sec cooldown

> - Required utility slot

> - Worked the same except evade on cc

>

> Makes no sense.

Bandit's Defense hasn't had a 12s cooldown since 2017. Comparing values from before and after the Feb patch is risible.

Ranger's GS, in terms of purely the weapon skills, is arguably the best weapon in the game (for PvP). CC, Mobility, Evades, Blocks, and decent burst damage. I can't think of another weapon that does all of those things. The closest would be Scrapper Hammer and Rev Staff, but describing the movement skills on those as "mobility" is a bit of a stretch.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean it needs nerfs, given that Ranger's other mechanics are kinda meh. You can't compare things 1:1 in a vacuum.

This skill has already had one review on 25th February 2020 where its competitive use was increased from 15 seconds to 25 seconds. This is its base refresh - 25 seconds. If you want to have a refresh of 20 seconds in competitive mode you must ruin Beastmastery and select Two-handed training to reduce time on all GS skills. Only one of the four Metabattle recommended PVP builds runs this specialization.

The fact that Anet Developers chose to change this skill to what it is now and have also reviewed its use again in competitive modes speaks volumes. They clearly are ok with it as it now is. Are you saying they are wrong?

Comparing one class skill against any other class skill, even when on the same weapon type, isn't a wise thing to do. The counter argument could be made that if Class X can do skill Y on the Greatsword, why can't Ranger do it?

Apples and Oranges, careful what you wish for, boring similar skills on all classes isn't the way to go.

>

You forgot the endurance regen on 3rd part of the auto and really should have done a comparison of swoop to other evades, but yeah ranger GS has it all.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> >

>

> You forgot the endurance regen on 3rd part of the auto and really should have done a comparison of swoop to other evades, but yeah ranger GS has it all.

Yeah the 3 attack of the auto attack from gs is pretty never happen, it takes years and does no dmg (on core) with the evade there was a reason to do it, but now you making yourself a big fat target with gs auto attacks

> @"Avatar.3568" said:

> > @"apharma.3741" said:

> > > @"Eugchriss.2046" said:

> > > Can some one explain me why the kitten ranger's GS has a built-in shield which is even better(low cd, better utilities) than other classes shield? Like really:

> > > * is not rooted, when herald is

> > > * block all incomming attacks, when guard's shield only block projectiles

> > > * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when chrono has 40s

> > > * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when war has 2sec stun on 20s CD (remember one is using shield the other is not)

> > > * has a 3sec block on 25sec cd + knockback + a little evade when war has 3secs block on30secs

> > >

> > > Ranger's GS is in my opinion the best 2 handed weapon a class can have. It has gap closer + evade + build-in shied + CC + low cd, high damage skill.

> > > **Greatsword is not a shield**, just saying.

> >

> > You forgot the endurance regen on 3rd part of the auto and really should have done a comparison of swoop to other evades, but yeah ranger GS has it all.

>

> Yeah the 3 attack of the auto attack from gs is pretty never happen, it takes years and does no dmg (on core) with the evade there was a reason to do it, but now you making yourself a big fat target with gs auto attacks

So....like every other class.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> > @"Avatar.3568" said:

> > > @"apharma.3741" said:

> > > > @"Eugchriss.2046" said:

> > > > Can some one explain me why the kitten ranger's GS has a built-in shield which is even better(low cd, better utilities) than other classes shield? Like really:

> > > > * is not rooted, when herald is

> > > > * block all incomming attacks, when guard's shield only block projectiles

> > > > * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when chrono has 40s

> > > > * has a 1.5 sec stun/daze on 20s CD when war has 2sec stun on 20s CD (remember one is using shield the other is not)

> > > > * has a 3sec block on 25sec cd + knockback + a little evade when war has 3secs block on30secs

> > > >

> > > > Ranger's GS is in my opinion the best 2 handed weapon a class can have. It has gap closer + evade + build-in shied + CC + low cd, high damage skill.

> > > > **Greatsword is not a shield**, just saying.

> > >

> > > You forgot the endurance regen on 3rd part of the auto and really should have done a comparison of swoop to other evades, but yeah ranger GS has it all.

> >

> > Yeah the 3 attack of the auto attack from gs is pretty never happen, it takes years and does no dmg (on core) with the evade there was a reason to do it, but now you making yourself a big fat target with gs auto attacks

>

> So....like every other class.

Yeah but you complain about something that is not rly usefull, I just attack with AA on some Downstats that my mate gets the stomp while they rezzing, it does no dmg, when I just jump arroun and let my pet do the shit I getting way better of

Ranger gs is a defense weapon with maul. it does only on glass Canon dmg