Do people need to pay 200 gems for the Icebrood Saga releases?

How does it work now, when we get episodes and mini-episodes?

Do people actually need to pay, if they hadn't logged in meantime, for Bound by Blood, Whisper in the Dark, Shadow in the Ice and Forging Steel, or they get it all after purchasing HoT&PoF bundle?

Just wondering

> @"keenedge.9675" said:

> Currently, saga(LWs5) comes with gw2 purchases. For returning players, if they have to buy PoF they'll get it. If not, then gems to catch up on the DLC additions.

That is completely inaccurate. Any Living World contents you did not log in for when they were "current" you have to purchase for gems:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World#Unlocking_Living_World_episodes

"_Episodes can be unlocked for free simply by logging in to any character during the episode's original release window. This lasts until the next episode is released; [...]After the release window, players can unlock the episode for 200 Gems._"

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > Visions of the Past is current, I believe, until the next chapter comes out.

>

> Current as in part of ep2?

It's not Episode 2 or 3, but it's the latest story release (a different kind). I don't think it counts towards Episode 2.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"keenedge.9675" said:

> > Currently, saga(LWs5) comes with gw2 purchases. For returning players, if they have to buy PoF they'll get it. If not, then gems to catch up on the DLC additions.

>

> That is completely inaccurate. Any Living World contents you did not log in for when they were "current" you have to purchase for gems:

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World#Unlocking_Living_World_episodes

>

> "_Episodes can be unlocked for free simply by logging in to any character during the episode's original release window. This lasts until the next episode is released; [...]After the release window, players can unlock the episode for 200 Gems._"

>

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > Visions of the Past is current, I believe, until the next chapter comes out.

> >

> > Current as in part of ep2?

>

> Current as is current. ;) It's not episode 2, but it's the latest story release (a different kind).

It's not the latest story release. Episode 2 is the latest story release and will be followed by episode 3. Anet have already said Visions isn't an episode, so surely that means it is either free or free with episode 2

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> It's not the latest story release. Episode 2 is the latest story release and will be followed by episode 3. Anet have already said Visions isn't an episode, so surely that means it is either free or free with episode 2

Yes, sorry, I just corrected my last comment when I understood what you meant. :)

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> It's not Episode 2 or 3, but it's the latest story release (a different kind). **I don't think it counts towards Episode 2.**

I just checked by logging into my recently created free account and the Prologue costs 200 gems, just like any other LS release. Visions of the Past was unlocked automatically when I first logged in, because it's the current release, but I assume after the next release is out that will also cost 200 gems to unlock.

I assume this also means when the Season 5 complete pack is added to the gem store it will include the Prologue, Visions of the Past and any other non-numbered releases which are part of this season. But of course we won't know for sure until that happens.

(It would be nice if by then they've added an option to buy everything so far together - base game, HoT, PoF and at least all the completed LS seasons as one pack so new players who know they want everything just have to make 1 purchase.)

It would have made sense to include the previous Living World seasons with the later expansion. (HoT including season 2, PoF including season 3.) So players wouldn't have some gaps to fill in between where they need to buy the seasons. For the latest ones it is okay to have them not packed with other stuff.

But the official ArenaNet policy seems to get players directly to play the latest stuff. (They use latest stuff and expansions to attract new players.) That's why they sell HoT and PoF together now so new players can go directly to Icebrood Saga and skip all other stuff. (Not to my taste though. I still have to catch up and play in order of release instead of skipping to the latest content.)

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> How does it work now, when we get episodes and mini-episodes?

>

> Do people actually need to pay, if they hadn't logged in meantime, for Bound by Blood, Whisper in the Dark, Shadow in the Ice and Forging Steel, or they get it all after purchasing HoT&PoF bundle?

>

> Just wondering

The price is 200 Gems if you unlock it directly from Story Panel, but go to Gem Store and you will find it cheaper (160 Gems for each episode).

• 5 months later...

> @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > @"Roche.7491" said:

> > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

>

> Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

not if you're like and have after 4 years playing only 4 gold

> @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > > @"Roche.7491" said:

> > > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

> >

> > Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

>

> not if you're like and have after 4 years playing only 4 gold

Then raid your material storage and sell materials mate.

> @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

> >

> > Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

>

My second account is just over 5 years old, has 60 hours played in total, mostly doing the story and time afk in towns, highest level character is level 48 and even then I've had more than 4 gold at once, and far more than 4g worth of materials collected. (No help from my main account either, it's actually the opposite - I send gold and materials from my 2nd account to the main one whenever I need it.)

If someone's had the game for 4 years and only had 4 gold I think it would either be because they're a very casual and/or occasional player who has not done much and therefore doesn't need to be thinking about getting new episodes because there will be tons of content still to do in the main game, or they're spending gold on other things and likely saving lots of materials and maybe even equipment they could otherwise sell. In that case it's just a question of prioritising: is getting the episode/s you want with gold worth more than whatever else you're getting? If so save up, maybe go through your materials etc. and see what you can sell and buy them, if not just keep doing other things or consider using real money instead.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > > > @"Roche.7491" said:

> > > > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

> > >

> > > Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

> >

> > not if you're like and have after 4 years playing only 4 gold

>

> My second account is just over 5 years old, has 60 hours played in total, mostly doing the story and time afk in towns, highest level character is level 48 and even then I've had more than 4 gold at once, and far more than 4g worth of materials collected. (No help from my main account either, it's actually the opposite - I send gold and materials from my 2nd account to the main one whenever I need it.)

>

> If someone's had the game for 4 years and only had 4 gold I think it would either be because they're a very casual and/or occasional player who has not done much and therefore doesn't need to be thinking about getting new episodes because there will be tons of content still to do in the main game, or they're spending gold on other things and likely saving lots of materials and maybe even equipment they could otherwise sell. In that case it's just a question of prioritising: is getting the episode/s you want with gold worth more than whatever else you're getting? If so save up, maybe go through your materials etc. and see what you can sell and buy them, if not just keep doing other things or consider using real money instead.

Nah, they could be like me, and see a shiny on the market, and buy it. According to the achievement tracker I've had almost 2 million gold, but according to my bank, I'm fluctuating somewhere around 100 now. Back when I used to ignore the dailies, I'd be lucky to hit 10 gold.

> @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > > > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > > > > @"Roche.7491" said:

> > > > > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

> > > >

> > > > Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

> > >

> > > not if you're like and have after 4 years playing only 4 gold

> >

> > My second account is just over 5 years old, has 60 hours played in total, mostly doing the story and time afk in towns, highest level character is level 48 and even then I've had more than 4 gold at once, and far more than 4g worth of materials collected. (No help from my main account either, it's actually the opposite - I send gold and materials from my 2nd account to the main one whenever I need it.)

> >

> > If someone's had the game for 4 years and only had 4 gold I think it would either be because they're a very casual and/or occasional player who has not done much and therefore doesn't need to be thinking about getting new episodes because there will be tons of content still to do in the main game, or they're spending gold on other things and likely saving lots of materials and maybe even equipment they could otherwise sell. In that case it's just a question of prioritising: is getting the episode/s you want with gold worth more than whatever else you're getting? If so save up, maybe go through your materials etc. and see what you can sell and buy them, if not just keep doing other things or consider using real money instead.

>

> Nah, they could be like me, and see a shiny on the market, and buy it. According to the achievement tracker I've had almost 2 million gold, but according to my bank, I'm fluctuating somewhere around 100 now. Back when I used to ignore the dailies, I'd be lucky to hit 10 gold.

That's what I said: spending gold on other things.

That's what I do too. Right now I have about 30g, a couple of weeks ago I had less than 2g, but a couple of weeks before that I had just over 200g. I don't make a lot of gold on a normal day (it could easily be less than 1g the way I play) and it can take me a long time to save up, but there's very little which you have to buy in GW2 so if I want something specific I can just stop buying other things until I've got it (and raid my material storage for stuff to sell).

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > > > > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > > > > > @"Roche.7491" said:

> > > > > > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

> > > >

> > > > not if you're like and have after 4 years playing only 4 gold

> > >

> > > My second account is just over 5 years old, has 60 hours played in total, mostly doing the story and time afk in towns, highest level character is level 48 and even then I've had more than 4 gold at once, and far more than 4g worth of materials collected. (No help from my main account either, it's actually the opposite - I send gold and materials from my 2nd account to the main one whenever I need it.)

> > >

> > > If someone's had the game for 4 years and only had 4 gold I think it would either be because they're a very casual and/or occasional player who has not done much and therefore doesn't need to be thinking about getting new episodes because there will be tons of content still to do in the main game, or they're spending gold on other things and likely saving lots of materials and maybe even equipment they could otherwise sell. In that case it's just a question of prioritising: is getting the episode/s you want with gold worth more than whatever else you're getting? If so save up, maybe go through your materials etc. and see what you can sell and buy them, if not just keep doing other things or consider using real money instead.

> >

> > Nah, they could be like me, and see a shiny on the market, and buy it. According to the achievement tracker I've had almost 2 million gold, but according to my bank, I'm fluctuating somewhere around 100 now. Back when I used to ignore the dailies, I'd be lucky to hit 10 gold.

>

> That's what I said: spending gold on other things.

>

> That's what I do too. Right now I have about 30g, a couple of weeks ago I had less than 2g, but a couple of weeks before that I had just over 200g. I don't make a lot of gold on a normal day (it could easily be less than 1g the way I play) and it can take me a long time to save up, but there's very little which you have to buy in GW2 so if I want something specific I can just stop buying other things until I've got it (and raid my material storage for stuff to sell).

Yeah, just logged out, spent about 10 gold to make some 18 slot bags for alts, and hit a rather surprising price for the 15 slot leather bags I'd been using, finished out making a little over 6 gold after expenses. Now I'm fixing to look up and see what those leather bags are used for that make them so expensive, since the cloth bags are about half that.

> > > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > > > > > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > > > > > > @"Roche.7491" said:

> > > > > > > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

> > > > >

> > > > > not if you're like and have after 4 years playing only 4 gold

> > > >

> > > > My second account is just over 5 years old, has 60 hours played in total, mostly doing the story and time afk in towns, highest level character is level 48 and even then I've had more than 4 gold at once, and far more than 4g worth of materials collected. (No help from my main account either, it's actually the opposite - I send gold and materials from my 2nd account to the main one whenever I need it.)

> > > >

> > > > If someone's had the game for 4 years and only had 4 gold I think it would either be because they're a very casual and/or occasional player who has not done much and therefore doesn't need to be thinking about getting new episodes because there will be tons of content still to do in the main game, or they're spending gold on other things and likely saving lots of materials and maybe even equipment they could otherwise sell. In that case it's just a question of prioritising: is getting the episode/s you want with gold worth more than whatever else you're getting? If so save up, maybe go through your materials etc. and see what you can sell and buy them, if not just keep doing other things or consider using real money instead.

> > >

> > > Nah, they could be like me, and see a shiny on the market, and buy it. According to the achievement tracker I've had almost 2 million gold, but according to my bank, I'm fluctuating somewhere around 100 now. Back when I used to ignore the dailies, I'd be lucky to hit 10 gold.

> >

> > That's what I said: spending gold on other things.

> >

> > That's what I do too. Right now I have about 30g, a couple of weeks ago I had less than 2g, but a couple of weeks before that I had just over 200g. I don't make a lot of gold on a normal day (it could easily be less than 1g the way I play) and it can take me a long time to save up, but there's very little which you have to buy in GW2 so if I want something specific I can just stop buying other things until I've got it (and raid my material storage for stuff to sell).

>

> Yeah, just logged out, spent about 10 gold to make some 18 slot bags for alts, and hit a rather surprising price for the 15 slot leather bags I'd been using, finished out making a little over 6 gold after expenses. Now I'm fixing to look up and see what those leather bags are used for that make them so expensive, since the cloth bags are about half that.

Why not buy these?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/20_Slot_Fractal_Uncommon_Equipment_Box

Or wait 1 more day and do the spvp/wvw hallowen reward tracks for

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween_Pail

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > > @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > > > > > > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Roche.7491" said:

> > > > > > > > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

> > > > > >

> > > > > > not if you're like and have after 4 years playing only 4 gold

> > > > >

> > > > > My second account is just over 5 years old, has 60 hours played in total, mostly doing the story and time afk in towns, highest level character is level 48 and even then I've had more than 4 gold at once, and far more than 4g worth of materials collected. (No help from my main account either, it's actually the opposite - I send gold and materials from my 2nd account to the main one whenever I need it.)

> > > > >

> > > > > If someone's had the game for 4 years and only had 4 gold I think it would either be because they're a very casual and/or occasional player who has not done much and therefore doesn't need to be thinking about getting new episodes because there will be tons of content still to do in the main game, or they're spending gold on other things and likely saving lots of materials and maybe even equipment they could otherwise sell. In that case it's just a question of prioritising: is getting the episode/s you want with gold worth more than whatever else you're getting? If so save up, maybe go through your materials etc. and see what you can sell and buy them, if not just keep doing other things or consider using real money instead.

> > > >

> > > > Nah, they could be like me, and see a shiny on the market, and buy it. According to the achievement tracker I've had almost 2 million gold, but according to my bank, I'm fluctuating somewhere around 100 now. Back when I used to ignore the dailies, I'd be lucky to hit 10 gold.

> > >

> > > That's what I said: spending gold on other things.

> > >

> > > That's what I do too. Right now I have about 30g, a couple of weeks ago I had less than 2g, but a couple of weeks before that I had just over 200g. I don't make a lot of gold on a normal day (it could easily be less than 1g the way I play) and it can take me a long time to save up, but there's very little which you have to buy in GW2 so if I want something specific I can just stop buying other things until I've got it (and raid my material storage for stuff to sell).

> >

> > Yeah, just logged out, spent about 10 gold to make some 18 slot bags for alts, and hit a rather surprising price for the 15 slot leather bags I'd been using, finished out making a little over 6 gold after expenses. Now I'm fixing to look up and see what those leather bags are used for that make them so expensive, since the cloth bags are about half that.

>

> Why not buy these?

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/20_Slot_Fractal_Uncommon_Equipment_Box

>

> Or wait 1 more day and do the spvp/wvw hallowen reward tracks for

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween_Pail

I don't do fractals or WvW stuff, right now. I thought about looking at the entry level fractals last week, but never got around to it.

> > > @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > > > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> > > > > @"Roche.7491" said:

> > > > > 200 gems is just 2.5 dollars. Its nothing. Buy it. I spend 50 dollars to my gf a day.

> > > >

> > > > Hell, you don't even need to pay real money for it. Gotta love the gold to gems for us broke people

> > >

> > > not if you're like and have after 4 years playing only 4 gold

> >

> > My second account is just over 5 years old, has 60 hours played in total, mostly doing the story and time afk in towns, highest level character is level 48 and even then I've had more than 4 gold at once, and far more than 4g worth of materials collected. (No help from my main account either, it's actually the opposite - I send gold and materials from my 2nd account to the main one whenever I need it.)

> >

> > If someone's had the game for 4 years and only had 4 gold I think it would either be because they're a very casual and/or occasional player who has not done much and therefore doesn't need to be thinking about getting new episodes because there will be tons of content still to do in the main game, or they're spending gold on other things and likely saving lots of materials and maybe even equipment they could otherwise sell. In that case it's just a question of prioritising: is getting the episode/s you want with gold worth more than whatever else you're getting? If so save up, maybe go through your materials etc. and see what you can sell and buy them, if not just keep doing other things or consider using real money instead.

>

> Nah, they could be like me, and see a shiny on the market, and buy it. According to the achievement tracker I've had almost 2 million gold, but according to my bank, I'm fluctuating somewhere around 100 now. Back when I used to ignore the dailies, I'd be lucky to hit 10 gold.

That’s like someone spending all their money on clothes and then saying they don’t have enough to spend on a movie ticket. Simply re-prioritize your spending.

> @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> >

>

> @"OldGamer.2986" said:

> > @"Zeivu.3615" said:

> >

>

Do Daily's each day (can mix any Daily from achievement in Hero Panel) and you should get 2 Gold from that. As a reward you will also automatic gain log in reward (and the on going Episode from LW season that is free within certain dates). Log rewards over time will give you some Laurels that can be turned into Gold. After some achievement points are reached you also gain more Gold added to your account and a chest which you can pick what kind of reward it should be.

**I list links here so you can read more:**

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement (will show where Daily can be found if you just click by log in chest instead of reading it)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_point_rewards (AP and chests and account bonus that incease your Gold gain and other things - at 5000 AP you will get 400 Gems for free - you can see all steps in this link)

Both all Story (both base Personal Story, LW and expansion) content will reward on different step a key for BLC including Map Completion which will give you Black Lion Chest keys to open BLC which can drop things that you turn into Gold or token where you can buy BL items from special BL vendors.

I use to turn those BL token into consumable - primer - that when consumed will make any food last for 12 hours. (Use consumable first that increase duration of any eaten food as it need to be active when you consume any food that have lower duration then 12 hour - for feasts you can interact again to gain food buff with 12 hour). This save me from making Ascended food that often as I used to (Ascended food last only 1 hour and can be shared in game with other players as feasts (5 min before it will be gone)). Create more then one character do the same story after you done it once (the second time you get this reward as you need to repeat it - story pointer change from green to a pink kind of colour). Doing this will also give you some ascended trinkets and other things.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_feast

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Utility_Primer (for tools to last 12 hour)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Metabolic_Primer (for food to last 12 hour - the one I use most to reduce how often to craft ascended feasts)

If you play as a regular and log in you will not miss any log in rewards, you will get added all episode that aren't Expansion to your account as you log in from now (everything else need to be purchased with Gem and from Gem Store, never from Story panel in Hero Panel as you only get reduction in Gems from Gem Store). Do three out of the list of Daily and you will get 2 Gold.

Over time you should have either Laurels that can be turned to mats that can be sold on TP and you should also accumulate AP (at 5K you get 400 Gems for free) and you account will have an increase in bonus for Gold and XP.

Don't look at this game as a free to play or one time purchase (B2P), but _set aside 10 Euro or 10 US$ each month to get 800 Gems added to your account_ over time. That way when it is sale on items you now can buy these Gem Store items for reduced price. Items that will reduce your cost in buying with Gold for salvage, passes (or scrolls/tomes reduce cost from WP) - be done with sPvP Lounge or WvW panel which TP you to vendors (same as in LA with exception for craft stations) and buy permanent gathering tools (with Glyphs as those can be bought in TP but are rather expensive - get permanent gathering tool with Glyphs and not only skin, they are sold for the same price with or without Glyph). With these things your in game cost will be reduced as you don't need to buy and carry around several kits or gathering tools (charges). Three gathering tools, one permanent salvage kit and one pass or tome (that can keep several scrolls in one slot) you now reduce the need for Inventory space.

Just warning: if you have multiple accounts, then you have to decide which is your main account to gain the most out of this kind of upgrade as all these items will be account bound, you can't move them to another account.

**Recommended GS items:**

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unbreakable_Gathering_Tools (only when it is for 50% price and you will need to get Glyph that you buy on TP for these if you want to have same effects as these other I list here)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skyscale_Hatchling_Harvesting_Tool (Very fast animation that is small, sold with Glyph of Reaping that harvest all nodes in range of 900 units. Can be removed and placed on any other gathering tools for free, so if you have this Glyph you can farm all Ore nodes if you move it to any Gathering Tool for Ore (Thunderhead Peaks) or in Orr for wood where you have several tree standing close with only one action. The default skin and Gathering Tool here is for plant nodes).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Firestorm_Logging_Tool (Also have rather fast animation that in combination with Glyph of Industry speed up Gathering from wood nodes. This is one of the more expensive Glyphs to buy on TP so it is worth to keep an eye when this will on sale again. Gem Store History (collapsed in wiki) don't show the last time it where on sale, but I bought it just for a month ago, so it more often then what you see in GSH).

You can try out how these Glyphs work from: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gathering_Merchant

(Cost Karma and I would advice to not buy these tools for Karma as you then will not gain enough Karma over time to purchase scrolls, tomes and other things that can only be bought with Karma).

A cheaper version of Glyph of Industry and sometimes faster is Timkeeper as it will take all items from node in one strike instead of three, but it is random and might have times this happens and then suddenly (especially at Rich nodes where there 3 strikes with 3 items as base) this can happen two times, which cut down farming this type of node a lot.

Shared Inventory is very useful here to move this type of items (not that often on sale, so if you have some extra money try to buy it on sale).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Copper-Fed_Salvage-o-Matic (Cost 3 copper for each item it salvage - are permanent and best to combo with an Invisible bag to keep all items that you don't want to salvage from being mass salvaged when you use right click and pick tier. You can place all unID (unidentified - all that belong to same tier that can be stacked; blue, green and yellow) here in Invisible bag slot to keep them until you decide to mass salvage or open all unID).

This will also save you some Inventory space as you can turn every thing into mats use Deposit All Materials from Inventory to Material Storage.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Inventory (to show where it is and how to find out stacking etc works)

**To sum it up:**

When you invest time and real money in this game things will be a lot easier and there are ways to things for free or at least reduce the small cost of getting around which over time eats up your Gold gain. Increasing your accounts AP will reward you with bonus for XP and Gold gain (2%) and at 5K AP you will get 400 Gems added to your account. It will take some time and should not be your main goal as that can burn you out to only hunt the higher AP achievements.

Free 2 play or buy 2 play doesn't mean that you can not add your own subscription plan by small purchases of Gem, so when there is a sale in GS you can buy items that have been listed and explained. It is a type of long term goal.

During game play you will also get nodes that you add to your Home Instance and with these tools cut down some time in farming these. Crafting is more then just be able to create things on your character, it also compress items from one level to another: turn ore into ingots, logs into plans etc, Quartz can be bought on TP, made into Charged Quartz Crystal (farm at Dry Top and there is one Hero Challenge which turn into a Place of Power (there are several places which change into PoP and you can even get one to your Home Instance). The important part here is that some items are account bound, but can become unbound again when you use it to craft and sold on TP.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charged_Quartz_Crystal

Log in every day and do Daily that fit with your play style (some daily are rather easy like buying items from WvW vendore if you have WvW token or use Magic Fountain and other you just have do an event for a map which most player are doing because of Daily etc). You also will then be secure to get all future LW added to your account and will not have pay for those parts to progress. You will get a log in rewards that some time are Laurels that can be turned into Gold or kept for other uses. With HoT and PoF there is less need buy rings and accessories from Laurel merchants.

For Karma it is possible to buy better Gathering Tools until you buy Glyphs on TP or buy permanent Gathering Tools that are sold WITH Glyphs.