Fishing in Guild Wars 2

Drake.1840

Hi Folks,

I’m new to Guild Wars 2. I have played plenty of mmo games over the years and have to say this one is shaping up to be the best I’ve seen. Well done to the developers and hats off to the community that seems like a fairly mature bunch.

I would fish and enjoy it. For what it’s worth, I have friends and family that would fish if it was available in game. I have been trying to encourage a particular friend recently to play. He had three questions.

1. Is it like WOW. My answer, No! – His reply, awesome, thank god.

2. What is the level cap?

3. Can I fish?

He was totally sold until we got to the fishing answer. Admittedly not everyone would have my friends views on it. But it makes me wonder how many people put a lot of weight on this little side game often found in MMOs called ‘Fishing’.

I am enjoying GW2 but I miss being able to put down my sword, daggers or flintlock, grab a net or fishing rod, sit on a rock, relax and cast a line.

As an aside with the GW2 developers obvious talent with graphics I expect they would once more make the opposition look like the mass market McDonald’s of the MMO world that they are….mediocre. Guild Wars 2 Fishing would be great.

What does everyone think? And yes I know it would of been suggested before but I’m sure many in the community would like this perhaps?

Add your voice below.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Drake.1840 said:

> Hi Folks,

> I’m new to Guild Wars 2. I have played plenty of mmo games over the years and have to say this one is shaping up to be the best I’ve seen. Well done to the developers and hats off to the community that seems like a fairly mature bunch.

> I would fish and enjoy it. For what it’s worth, I have friends and family that would fish if it was available in game. I have been trying to encourage a particular friend recently to play. He had three questions.

> 1. Is it like WOW. My answer, No! – His reply, awesome, thank god.

> 2. What is the level cap?

> 3. Can I fish?

> He was totally sold until we got to the fishing answer. Admittedly not everyone would have my friends views on it. But it makes me wonder how many people put a lot of weight on this little side game often found in MMOs called ‘Fishing’.

> I am enjoying GW2 but I miss being able to put down my sword, daggers or flintlock, grab a net or fishing rod, sit on a rock, relax and cast a line.

> As an aside with the GW2 developers obvious talent with graphics I expect they would once more make the opposition look like the mass market McDonald’s of the MMO world that they are….mediocre. Guild Wars 2 Fishing would be great.

>

> What does everyone think? And yes I know it would of been suggested before but I’m sure many in the community would like this perhaps?

> Add your voice below.

Before i back this or the idea lets get this clear if it happened it would be in an expansion is everyone ok with that? Because that is just how anet does things in gw2.

i say this because we asked for mounts 5 years ago we get them now they are in expac and everyone bats an eye and cries rivers for days.

If we got to listen to more bull over how another has advantage because another can catch a fish I'm gonna lose my mind lol.

I'd like fishing in the game. Breath of Fire 3 had fishing and it was really addictive.

I get the impression though that anet don't really have a big enough team to have time to work on something like this due to other things being a priority. So sadly I doubt we'll see it in the near future, if ever.

All I know is if they ever sell a mini expansion/dlc that adds fishing and the option to buy an instanced player house in the open world, then my credit card will be ready and waiting!

> @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

> What is this fishing thing in mmo every1 asking?

> Havent played many mmo games so i have question :D

> Is it like in runescape where you go fishing for gold?

> Or is it like gw2 nodes but near water?

> Or something Else?

Honestly, it could be a mini game it could be made as anything. I would back it 100% if just an addition to all of gw2 f2p and payers (this would cut down on the complaints and whiny entitlement).

A casual mini game.

Maybe with leader boards the competitive people would be happy as well as those just want to chill and burn time maybe get rewards at certain sizes of fish and for breaking records either set by anet or the community or both..

But I say put limit on rewards so fishing bots can't exploit the system.(best expect it it will happen)

Just an idea happened pop in thy mind.

All could be put together like challenges gw1 had with some maps in cantha content.

They had monthly weekly and daily leader boards each to respective reset time monthly reset every 30 days weekly reset every 7 days and daily reset every 24hrs

Leader board system already exist in the game HoT (and probably PoF havnt got around to them mini games yet) has them for all of the challenges.

> @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

> What is this fishing thing in mmo every1 asking?

> Havent played many mmo games so i have question :D

> Is it like in runescape where you go fishing for gold?

> Or is it like gw2 nodes but near water?

> Or something Else?

I haven't played any MMOs with it, but Breath of Fire 3 (a JRPG on the PS1), did it as a mini game. There were fishing spots around the edges of rivers etc, which you could interact with to trigger the fishing.

You could then buy & equip different lures to attract different types of fish, it was then basically a timing mini game. Tapping a button at the right timing / rhythm to gradually reel the fish in. In that game the fish was used for food, though you also occasionally had a chance of pulling up a sunken treasure chest.

> @killermanjaro.5670 said:

> > @sokeenoppa.5384 said:

> > What is this fishing thing in mmo every1 asking?

> > Havent played many mmo games so i have question :D

> > Is it like in runescape where you go fishing for gold?

> > Or is it like gw2 nodes but near water?

> > Or something Else?

>

> I haven't played any MMOs with it, but Breath of Fire 3 (a JRPG on the PS1), did it as a mini game. There were fishing spots around the edges of rivers etc, which you could interact with to trigger the fishing.

>

> You could then buy & equip different lures to attract different types of fish, it was then basically a timing mini game. Tapping a button at the right timing / rhythm to gradually reel the fish in. In that game the fish was used for food, though you also occasionally had a chance of pulling up a sunken treasure chest.

I've played a few rpgs both online and offline fable 1/lost chapters had fishing offline game torchlight 1/2 had it thats offline/online co-op atlantica online had fishing (one reason i rec a limit on rewards that game over ran with bots as a whole but it allowed automated fishing it encouraged it people heck even i did would dual client leave alt chars just to fish was good way to make money) I know of other games just can't place em all been gaming for 33 years been through so many titles i lost count i have 575 steam games just bought them in past 3 years lol. But i know of many more.

While I am not necessarily the type to play fishing games I still support the idea for those that enjoy it, for both competitive or casual mini game play I just enjoy other content more.

But it wouldn't hurt the game and ya know even those not deeply into will still pop in it here n there just to see if they can become the best daily fisher just human instinct. Maybe it would bring gw2 community back together and slow down this divide thats starting to happen between payers and free to play players.

If nobody else has noticed that divide yet, then we gonna have some big problems coming in the future. Only times we come together as a community is during holiday events that sounds alot like a broken family to me, theres even starting with division in that with this recent Halloween event.

If fishing is ever going to be implemented: dear developers, please take a look at how it was done in other more interesting games, like Okami's version! The PS2/3 game. I **could** get behind something like that, because it was actually a fun mini game. Plenty of examples for everyone who has no idea what I am talking about: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=okami+fishing

Just don't make it another "farming game" where in the end players are running fishing bots 24/7.

> @killermanjaro.5670 said:

> I'd like fishing in the game. Breath of Fire 3 had fishing and it was really addictive.

I'm no fan of fishing in MMOs. They've always been more of a chore and grind, with almost no beneficial results.

Also, we can swim. We can *murder fish right where they live*.

Maybe if fish materials, Cooking 500 (sushi!), legendary fish hunts, and *fixing underwater combat* became a thing, I could put some support behind fishing.

And if there were a system to model it after, FFXV's fishing was actually pretty fun. (The fishing battle music may have really added to that. :P)

I would like to see fishing in GW2, not as a biiiiig thing because a lot of people might find it boring, but I mean, we have adventures right? Throw some fishing spots over tyria and let us dye fishing rods, make the fish all trash items for all I care, I played a lot of Dark Cloud 2 so I really like this idea of having another thing extra to do, make it something thats not required but fun.