What computer/laptop specs are you guys running for good performance in WvW?

Super Fuzz.4980

I know that for everyone FPS drops when big zerg fights happen. However, I was just wondering what computer/laptop specs you guys are running to give you good performance with as high settings as possible in WvW? I am looking for a new laptop/PC for GW2 - specifically WvW, so this is why I am asking.

I will be following this one... I just got a new computer and never could get an answer on what type of settings to use... hopefully this gets some good info B)

As a reference on my old PC I had to pull the side panel and keep a desk fan running, and all settings to low, to run the game at all. It was an i-7 1st gen, 8 Gb ram, Nividia card w/2 Gb ram.

My new desktop PC (bought for video rendering, which it does beautifully) defaulted to super high on everything, overheated quickly, and froze up. I set everything to medium'ish and it runs great. I run around with about 65 FPS usually. Never tried it in a big crowd. Just messing around the new land right now.

The new machine just came in. It is mostly this:

• Intel Core i7-9700KF Processor 3.6GHz

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6

• 32GB DDR4-3600 RAM

• 1TB NVMe SSD

• Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

• MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Water Cooling Kit

• ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S/AC System Board.

• Graphics Card - Zotac RTX 2070 Super Mini

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> The only "good" gaming laptops cost around $3000. MSI, Acer, Asus, Razer, take your pick. The CPU will still be crippled compared to eqvivalent desktop though. And no matter the case, any larger WvW fight will pull down fps by alot.

Yeah, I was thinking a CPU single-core heavy game like GW2 might add to thermal issues laptops inherently have too.

> @"Vilin.8056" said:

> I believe i7-9750H should be a fairly standard gaming CPU for laptops:

> Take note that the poster had Character Model Quality set on low to improve frame rate.

>

As you can clairly see, GW2 run mainly on 1 CPU core (Dx9). so to get easily more FPS, you have to Overclock your CPU (it's gonna raise its temperature)

> @"Redponey.8352" said:

> > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > I believe i7-9750H should be a fairly standard gaming CPU for laptops:

> > Take note that the poster had Character Model Quality set on low to improve frame rate.

> >

>

> As you can clairly see, GW2 run mainly on 1 CPU core (Dx9). so to get easily more FPS, you have to Overclock your CPU (it's gonna raise its temperature)

Thank you for this! So yeah, I would assume this would create more heat problems for a laptop. So best a desktop?

> @"Tukaram.8256" said:

> My laptop can turn on the game, but I cannot do anything drastic - like walk. I can log in for the daily prize, and maybe check the trading post. The vent is about to blow fire by then. I always have to play on the PC.

Looool. What specs does your laptop have?

> @"Super Fuzz.4980" said:

> > @"Redponey.8352" said:

> > > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > > I believe i7-9750H should be a fairly standard gaming CPU for laptops:

> > > Take note that the poster had Character Model Quality set on low to improve frame rate.

> > >

> >

> > As you can clairly see, GW2 run mainly on 1 CPU core (Dx9). so to get easily more FPS, you have to Overclock your CPU (it's gonna raise its temperature)

>

> Thank you for this! So yeah, I would assume this would create more heat problems for a laptop. So best a desktop?

For laptops you can get these cooling pads that run off of a USB port. It has fans that push into the laptop to help keep the heat down. They're pretty inexpensive and anything that creates a little space and air flow under the laptop could help.

> > @"Tukaram.8256" said:

> > My laptop can turn on the game, but I cannot do anything drastic - like walk. I can log in for the daily prize, and maybe check the trading post. The vent is about to blow fire by then. I always have to play on the PC.

>

> Looool. What specs does your laptop have?

> > @"Tukaram.8256" said:

> > My laptop can turn on the game, but I cannot do anything drastic - like walk. I can log in for the daily prize, and maybe check the trading post. The vent is about to blow fire by then. I always have to play on the PC.

>

> Looool. What specs does your laptop have?

Old. Toshiba i7 (2012), 8 Gb ram, integrated graphics. It overheats quickly with GW2. Works ok for video rendering (I am a YouTuber).

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > Simple i7 atleast geforce 900 and 8 mb ram with ssd hardrive.

> Wait, *three times* the ram of an Amiga 1200? That thing will be a **beast**!

Mmmm I'm no techy. 8mb memory. I thought that's average.

Besides 1992 , I don't know that stuff

The game runs fine on a Ryzen 3700X with 3600MHz CL16 Ram, everything maxxed out except the "Effect LOD" Box enabled (enabling it lowers the drawn effects in the distance, which increases the CPU performance). This option doubles the performance in blob fights.

In 3 server fights I get 9 - 12 fps without Effect LOD and 20 - 25 fps with Effect LOD. Everything elese maxxed out, like I mentioned...

Before I bought the 3700X I played the game on an i5 8500 with the same Ram and the game ran noticeably worse in blob fights - at about 10 - 15 fps with Effect LOD enabled and 5 - 8 fps when disabled.

The graphics card is almost irrelevant. Every card above 200 dollar/euro can render the game in 4K/60 with the "Render Sampling" option on "Native" or 1440p and "Supersample".

If you tend to buy a laptop, then buy one of the brand new Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs. These outperform everything Intel has to offer currently in the laptop market. Intels outdated 14nm process runs in laptop power limits all day and will lower their clock speeds, while the 7nm Ryzens can show their full potential at a lower power consumption.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> If you tend to buy a laptop, then buy one of the brand new Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs. These outperform everything Intel has to offer currently in the laptop market. Intels outdated 14nm process runs in laptop power limits all day and will lower their clock speeds, while the 7nm Ryzens can show their full potential at a lower power consumption.

And GW2 will use exactly zero of that full potential. Gaming performance is virtually identical between AMD and Intel mobile CPUs (even on DX12 games, check reviews). Only matters if you do production things (more cores always win).

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > If you tend to buy a laptop, then buy one of the brand new Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs. These outperform everything Intel has to offer currently in the laptop market. Intels outdated 14nm process runs in laptop power limits all day and will lower their clock speeds, while the 7nm Ryzens can show their full potential at a lower power consumption.

> And GW2 will use exactly zero of that full potential. Gaming performance is virtually identical between AMD and Intel mobile CPUs (even on DX12 games, check reviews). Only matters if you do production things (more cores always win).

Pls stop pretending you know what you are talking about.

I 've tested the game on several CPUs and a 9750 that clocks down to 3 GHz (or worse) because it is powerlimited will fail badly against a 4000 that can keep 4 GHz at 45 watts.

We don't even need to talk about single or multicore demands of the game at this point. They are irrelevant as the intels can barely keep their base clocks in a laptop.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > > If you tend to buy a laptop, then buy one of the brand new Ryzen 4000 mobile CPUs. These outperform everything Intel has to offer currently in the laptop market. Intels outdated 14nm process runs in laptop power limits all day and will lower their clock speeds, while the 7nm Ryzens can show their full potential at a lower power consumption.

> > And GW2 will use exactly zero of that full potential. Gaming performance is virtually identical between AMD and Intel mobile CPUs (even on DX12 games, check reviews). Only matters if you do production things (more cores always win).

> Pls stop pretending you know what you are talking about.

>

> I 've tested the game on several CPUs and a 9750 that clocks down to 3 GHz (or worse) because it is powerlimited will fail badly against a 4000 that can keep 4 GHz at 45 watts.

>

> We don't even need to talk about single or multicore demands of the game at this point. They are irrelevant as the intels can barely keep their base clocks in a laptop.

Show me a review that shows any significant difference outside of a couple fps then, I dont mind being proven wrong on that.

Honestly, any desktop in the last 1-2 years will probably run Gw2 fine; this game is incapable of using new technology due to being incredibly outdated. Today's i3/r3 are basically the equivalent of the i5s a few years ago due to AMD forcing intel to stop screwing around-- quad core is the min these days and today's processors are faster-- they're better than the i5-6500 I have now. Just don't be suckered by some shady seller selling you garbage like a Nvidia 730 though lol. And make sure you have a SSD ffs.

You don't need any fancy graphics card; it will most likely be asleep playing Gw2-- again dated software.

Essentially the game 7 years ago was able to run on potatoes, and failed to take advantage of the best computers. Not much has changed.

Laptops otoh struggle with this game just because they can't run as fast as their desktop counterparts as well as being more expensive relatively speaking , because this game cares too much about single core. Even a gaming laptop that can play today's games smoothly will struggle in zergs for Gw2. You're probably looking at the 1500+ range, but honestly I would not spend that much money just to play Gw2.... with that in mind go Ryzen. Intel may have that better gaming performance, but you pay out the nose for it.

You shall also note that the game servers themselves are an issue. If there is server lag, or your internet sucks, then all the hardware in the world will not help you.

Btw is any of this true?