What computer/laptop specs are you guys running for good performance in WvW?

Super Fuzz.4980

> @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> Btw is any of this true?

Certainly makes one.. Cautious when every comment is "I'm not sure what I'm doing, but"

I can't help but think it's a placebo effect when no _real_ computer guys recommend.

The real guys I know keep telling me 30fps in a blob is as good as it gets, engine limitations.

It doesn't matter if your CPU is bathed in liquid nitrogen, Space Invaders is gonna run at the same speed it did on equipment in 1981

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

>

> It doesn't matter if your CPU is bathed in liquid nitrogen, Space Invaders is gonna run at the same speed it did on equipment in 1981

Damn but I want that Space Invaders FPS though!

But yea, this is also why I don't want people to spend $2000 just so Gw2 can allegedly run faster-- that's just inane.

> @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> >

> > It doesn't matter if your CPU is bathed in liquid nitrogen, Space Invaders is gonna run at the same speed it did on equipment in 1981

>

> kitten but I want that Space Invaders FPS though!

>

> But yea, this is also why I don't want people to spend $2000 just so Gw2 can allegedly run faster-- that's just inane.

>

To further elaborate for doubters..

Remember the Bitcoin mining craze a few years back? When gpu's were selling for 150-200% of their market value and you _still_ couldn't find one?

My wife's card burnt out.

We both had gtx660ti's prior, we had to grab what was on the shelf at our local BestBuy, A measly little gt740.. Garbage card.

Made no difference whatsoever for GW2.

> @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > @"aleron.1438" said:

> > Wouldn't GeForce Now offer a valid alternative option for those playing on laptops?

>

> Yes, but only to countries it is available to. :/

You're also subject to your isp's internet streaming limits doing that.

Not worked out so great for stadia.

You can make a machine that plays this game (at the game's limitations) for $500

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> > >

> > > It doesn't matter if your CPU is bathed in liquid nitrogen, Space Invaders is gonna run at the same speed it did on equipment in 1981

> >

> > kitten but I want that Space Invaders FPS though!

> >

> > But yea, this is also why I don't want people to spend $2000 just so Gw2 can allegedly run faster-- that's just inane.

> >

>

> To further elaborate for doubters..

>

> Remember the Bitcoin mining craze a few years back? When gpu's were selling for 150-200% of their market value and you _still_ couldn't find one?

> My wife's card burnt out.

> We both had gtx660ti's prior, we had to grab what was on the shelf at our local BestBuy, A measly little gt740.. Garbage card.

> Made no difference whatsoever for GW2.

lol right; you'd be hard pressed to find a card that _can't_ run Gw2. And yea, good thing I had bought everything before that bitcoin nonsense happened.

gw2 even works quite smoothly on non-gaming laptops with WLAN... mainly loading on map entering takes longer. the lagspikes in gw2 usually come from serverlag rather. at least in threeway zerg fights, everybody has lags. even those people with fast cable web and really good gear.

i funnily rarely get disconnects in Wvw while people with better specs have, might be ARCdps inducted tho (since i don't run it)

that to be said, my laptop would theoretically run hot from playing - i have a cooling underground platform for it, keeping it basically chill the whole time, plus having my hands on a USB keyboard instead adds in too. i think laptops tend to slow down and die bc the cooling paste inside burns itself if going constantly on hot temperature and u can hardly refill it too for example?

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> > >

> > > It doesn't matter if your CPU is bathed in liquid nitrogen, Space Invaders is gonna run at the same speed it did on equipment in 1981

> >

> > kitten but I want that Space Invaders FPS though!

> >

> > But yea, this is also why I don't want people to spend $2000 just so Gw2 can allegedly run faster-- that's just inane.

> >

>

> To further elaborate for doubters..

>

> Remember the Bitcoin mining craze a few years back? When gpu's were selling for 150-200% of their market value and you _still_ couldn't find one?

> My wife's card burnt out.

> We both had gtx660ti's prior, we had to grab what was on the shelf at our local BestBuy, A measly little gt740.. Garbage card.

> Made no difference whatsoever for GW2.

>

> > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > > @"aleron.1438" said:

> > > Wouldn't GeForce Now offer a valid alternative option for those playing on laptops?

> >

> > Yes, but only to countries it is available to. :/

>

> You're also subject to your isp's internet streaming limits doing that.

> Not worked out so great for stadia.

> You can make a machine that plays this game (at the game's limitations) for $500

Aye.:3 internet speed is never an issue here. Just the ping pong from where it goes.

With 1mb or less pre paid internet I have no lag with gw2. It's just weird

Wow, lots of bad info being posted in here.

OP, if you want the best performance, get a desktop, full stop. Performance per dollar will always be higher in a desktop than a laptop (also more upgradable later), so you get more for your money with a desktop as the OEM is not as limited with space and cooling. Which is the other point, people arguing Intel or AMD is better in a laptop, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. Laptops can not be judged by a spec sheet, while most (though not all) desktops can be, reason being is modern day CPUs have boost clocks, which are dependent on CPU core temps, once they go past a given temp, those boost clocks will start to drop and so will performance, many laptops today, including many "gaming" laptops, after a few mins of gaming will have dropped all the way back down to base clocks. It is totally possible to have a laptop with a WEAKER CPU perform better for longer than a laptop with a STRONGER CPU, as that stronger CPU has a higher thermal load due to higher clocks or more cores and runs into a thermal bottleneck.

Laptops are one thing you need to see actual gaming benchmarks on to see how well they cool, biggest thing in a gaming laptop is COOLING, you want to stay well clear of those sleek thin laptops for gaming, the ones that are very bulky with those big rear ports and heatsink fins you can see in the back will tend to perform better, even with the same CPU/GPU. Even these gaming laptops will still benefit from an active laptop cooler, that being one that has active fans moving fresh air around the bottom of the laptop.

GW2 is also more CPU bottlenecked, though it is not CPU demanding, that is because the main rendering thread is mostly single core, so you might have an 8 core CPU and it's only consuming 3 cores worth of CPU clocks. In many cases for GW2 it would often be better to have a higher clocked 6 core or sometimes even 4 core CPU, than a lower clocked 8 core CPU, this is why Intel is often the better pick here, though over all performance per dollar would be with AMD. Keep in mind that this is GW2 only, if you play other games, or do production work etc etc, AMD might be the better choice, I am talking min/maxing here, so stock for stock FPS gains tend to be in the single digits, unless you are getting into OCing, where I have a 9900k @ 5.1Ghz all core, but you are then talking custom water cooling loop etc etc to get there, and gets expensive fast.

So it really comes down to use and budget. Are you planning on WvW zerg fights? Roaming? What sort of budget do you have? What is considered playable to you? Example being the video posted above, for many, thats just fine, for me however, thats is unplayable frame rates. This will impact your PC choice and budget needed.

> @"Super Fuzz.4980" said:

> Currently my old laptop has dropped to 5-12 FPS...so I need to replace it. :(

Then it needs better maintenance. The performance doesn't just drop out of the blue.

Also, laptops aren't a good choice for gaming, unless you buy a super expensive gaming laptop, and even those can't compete with a good desktop PC.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> The only "good" gaming laptops cost around $3000. MSI, Acer, Asus, Razer, take your pick. The CPU will still be crippled compared to eqvivalent desktop though. And no matter the case, any larger WvW fight will pull down fps by alot.

Simply not true. In terms of gfx cards you can get Nvidia Geforce gtx 1660 Ti's & RTX 2060's for 1000-1200 dollars or a little bit more (a secondhand gtx 1060/1070 laptop is also a great choice), which are very competent for modern gaming. Almost all of the gaming laptops that are around that 1000 dollar pricepoint are equipped with an i5-9300H or an i7-9750H(F) processor which can turboboost up to 4Ghz on all (4-6-8) cores (depending on cooling, but same counts for 3000 dollar laptops). Cooling performance is not that much dependent on pricepoint (Alienware's are extremely expensive but also are very hot), and comes down really to specific models and how it is tuned. Eluktronics offers laptops for example between the 1500-1800 dollar range with cooling and performance better than almost every 2000 dollar+ laptop.

To get the most out of your CPU, you simply need to finetune it a little bit. Undervolting, adjusting power limits to your liking, most laptops offer different 'fan/power modes' and some even have manual fan control.

Laptop GPU's these days are very powerful and so are modern mobile CPU's (have a look at intel 10Th gen mobile and thr Ryzen 4000m series!). Just be sure to tune it a little bit for temperatures (which isn't that difficult to do) and you're good to go.

> @"Super Fuzz.4980" said:

> > @"Redponey.8352" said:

> > > @"Vilin.8056" said:

> > > I believe i7-9750H should be a fairly standard gaming CPU for laptops:

> > > Take note that the poster had Character Model Quality set on low to improve frame rate.

> > >

> >

> > As you can clairly see, GW2 run mainly on 1 CPU core (Dx9). so to get easily more FPS, you have to Overclock your CPU (it's gonna raise its temperature)

>

> Thank you for this! So yeah, I would assume this would create more heat problems for a laptop. So best a desktop?

A laptop CPU is "locked" (cannot be overclocked, or with the use of a software tool called throttlestop you might be able to get 100mhz more out of it with some trickery) like most desktop CPU's. For overclocking you need to look either at AMD Ryzen chips (all of them are unlocked) or at Intel 'K' processors :)!

You should decide between a laptop and a desktop by usage as well as budget; a laptop will generally be more expensive but it has the mobility (after gaming you can use it for example as a mediadevice everywhere in the house) and the peripherals integrated going for it. A desktop will be more cost efficient (more performance per dollar/for the same price) but you lose all the mobility.

If your budget and your usage allows it, you can for example opt for a general usage notebook + a gaming desktop. If not, be sure to think about how important mobility is, and then you should go for either a gaming laptop or a gaming desktop:D!

im playing with 2013 premade pc with 2013 video card and it's still ok in 50-50 or 3 way smc fight.

and by i mean ok is there is a significant lag (graphically) but its bearable.

and epic computers should not see any difference when they about to go say to smc and when they do 3 way.

> @"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:

> Wow, lots of bad info being posted in here.

>

> OP, if you want the best performance, get a desktop, full stop. Performance per dollar will always be higher in a desktop than a laptop (also more upgradable later), so you get more for your money with a desktop as the OEM is not as limited with space and cooling. Which is the other point, people arguing Intel or AMD is better in a laptop, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. Laptops can not be judged by a spec sheet, while most (though not all) desktops can be, reason being is modern day CPUs have boost clocks, which are dependent on CPU core temps, once they go past a given temp, those boost clocks will start to drop and so will performance, many laptops today, including many "gaming" laptops, after a few mins of gaming will have dropped all the way back down to base clocks. It is totally possible to have a laptop with a WEAKER CPU perform better for longer than a laptop with a STRONGER CPU, as that stronger CPU has a higher thermal load due to higher clocks or more cores and runs into a thermal bottleneck.

>

> Laptops are one thing you need to see actual gaming benchmarks on to see how well they cool, biggest thing in a gaming laptop is COOLING, you want to stay well clear of those sleek thin laptops for gaming, the ones that are very bulky with those big rear ports and heatsink fins you can see in the back will tend to perform better, even with the same CPU/GPU. Even these gaming laptops will still benefit from an active laptop cooler, that being one that has active fans moving fresh air around the bottom of the laptop.

>

> GW2 is also more CPU bottlenecked, though it is not CPU demanding, that is because the main rendering thread is mostly single core, so you might have an 8 core CPU and it's only consuming 3 cores worth of CPU clocks. In many cases for GW2 it would often be better to have a higher clocked 6 core or sometimes even 4 core CPU, than a lower clocked 8 core CPU, this is why Intel is often the better pick here, though over all performance per dollar would be with AMD. Keep in mind that this is GW2 only, if you play other games, or do production work etc etc, AMD might be the better choice, I am talking min/maxing here, so stock for stock FPS gains tend to be in the single digits, unless you are getting into OCing, where I have a 9900k @ 5.1Ghz all core, but you are then talking custom water cooling loop etc etc to get there, and gets expensive fast.

>

> So it really comes down to use and budget. Are you planning on WvW zerg fights? Roaming? What sort of budget do you have? What is considered playable to you? Example being the video posted above, for many, thats just fine, for me however, thats is unplayable frame rates. This will impact your PC choice and budget needed.

maybe the A.NET visionaries during the development of GW2 forecasted that third party streaming software will be the big deal today. thus, the game only uses few core so that the other apps/videostreaming/capping can use the other cores.

twitch.tv was introduced in June 2011 and GW2 was released in August 2012. so yeah.

and twitch.tv was acquired by Amazon and GW2 servers are Amazon servers.

Currently I can play max settings and at my 1080p (dont have 4k to test).

Gigabyte AB-Gaming3 Mobo

Ryzen 2200g

16gb Ram

Sapphire RX580 Pulse (8GB)

Coolermaster 750w Bronze

When I stream however, sound is fine (minus through discord where it like to cut in and out) however slight lag when near zergs. ALl in all budget friendly and works

> @"HAsAsIN.6724" said:

> > @"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:

> > Wow, lots of bad info being posted in here.

> >

> > OP, if you want the best performance, get a desktop, full stop. Performance per dollar will always be higher in a desktop than a laptop (also more upgradable later), so you get more for your money with a desktop as the OEM is not as limited with space and cooling. Which is the other point, people arguing Intel or AMD is better in a laptop, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM. Laptops can not be judged by a spec sheet, while most (though not all) desktops can be, reason being is modern day CPUs have boost clocks, which are dependent on CPU core temps, once they go past a given temp, those boost clocks will start to drop and so will performance, many laptops today, including many "gaming" laptops, after a few mins of gaming will have dropped all the way back down to base clocks. It is totally possible to have a laptop with a WEAKER CPU perform better for longer than a laptop with a STRONGER CPU, as that stronger CPU has a higher thermal load due to higher clocks or more cores and runs into a thermal bottleneck.

> >

> > Laptops are one thing you need to see actual gaming benchmarks on to see how well they cool, biggest thing in a gaming laptop is COOLING, you want to stay well clear of those sleek thin laptops for gaming, the ones that are very bulky with those big rear ports and heatsink fins you can see in the back will tend to perform better, even with the same CPU/GPU. Even these gaming laptops will still benefit from an active laptop cooler, that being one that has active fans moving fresh air around the bottom of the laptop.

> >

> > GW2 is also more CPU bottlenecked, though it is not CPU demanding, that is because the main rendering thread is mostly single core, so you might have an 8 core CPU and it's only consuming 3 cores worth of CPU clocks. In many cases for GW2 it would often be better to have a higher clocked 6 core or sometimes even 4 core CPU, than a lower clocked 8 core CPU, this is why Intel is often the better pick here, though over all performance per dollar would be with AMD. Keep in mind that this is GW2 only, if you play other games, or do production work etc etc, AMD might be the better choice, I am talking min/maxing here, so stock for stock FPS gains tend to be in the single digits, unless you are getting into OCing, where I have a 9900k @ 5.1Ghz all core, but you are then talking custom water cooling loop etc etc to get there, and gets expensive fast.

> >

> > So it really comes down to use and budget. Are you planning on WvW zerg fights? Roaming? What sort of budget do you have? What is considered playable to you? Example being the video posted above, for many, thats just fine, for me however, thats is unplayable frame rates. This will impact your PC choice and budget needed.

>

> maybe the A.NET visionaries during the development of GW2 forecasted that third party streaming software will be the big deal today. thus, the game only uses few core so that the other apps/videostreaming/capping can use the other cores.

>

> twitch.tv was introduced in June 2011 and GW2 was released in August 2012. so yeah.

>

> and twitch.tv was acquired by Amazon and GW2 servers are Amazon servers.

That has nothing to do with streaming, as that can be controlled with core affinity and process priority. It all has to do with GW2 game engine being the same one as the original GW game with some changes. However the API remained the same, that being DX9, part of the reason this was kept, even though DX9 was well past end of life at this point was that the xbox of the time used a modified version of DX9, meaning porting the game over would have been easy. They had a team early on working on porting to the xbox, however to release on a console you have to meet given performance metrics that Sony and Microsoft set, if your game can't meet those for smooth game play, you will not be allowed to release on them. My assumption is that after starting on this (as it was abandoned not long after starting), was because they knew meeting those performance metrics was going to require far more resources and optimizations than they were willing to spend, big time as MMO's have never been very popular on console, so ROI might have never happened, and then having to develop and maintain two different distributions.

Asus ROG GT750JM Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz , 32G Ram , GEFORCE GTX 860M , Win7pro-64 because Win10 sucked . Gaming is smooth and crash free but I keep the graphics settings low in WvW because it prevents being blinded by all the fancy glitter.

Well, performance-wise the game in its current state is horribly outdated. Even with troubleshooting and trying out everything the support offered me so far, there is no chance to get an acceptable performance in mid- to large-scale fights (talking about 20vs20 or more; obviously the more players involved the worse performance gets).

Intel i7-7700K

RTX 2060 OC

16 GB RAM

win10 64-bit

troubleshooting with support included nearly everything, from disabling every other program other than absolutely essential programs (basically drivers), running as admin, changing PhysX-Processor to GPU, setting hardware-priority to performance, using a new, fresh User-Account on the pc with everything other than essentials disabled.

The result: no noticable increase in FPS.

One of the points that absolutely ruins the feeling about all the troubleshooting is, that the Hardware is not even close to be fully utilized (average of 50% CPU-Usage, peaking at 55% and average of 2% GPU-Usage, peaking at 16%). Note, that these Peak-Values are usually just for split-seconds, not over an at least noticable time.

Also to note: the Game Settings itself are super-low, almost all looks-improving options are either low or disabled, standard player models are active for everyone.

Another expierience i recently made in our raids: the performance of the game varies heavily from player to player. In one fight at Stonemist Castle, our raidlead encountered a freeze frame, while i got around 4 FPS and at the same time, another player kept at least 20 FPS.

This may be kind of okay and acceptable, maybe even not be too noticable at all in PvE/Open World Events, but in a competetive-orientated mode Like WvW this is a huge, unnecessary disadvantage for everyone that gets the problems, although the hardware should provide more than enough power to handle such situations regarding FPS.

Yes, there are other things that need to be handled in the game too (for example the Class and Skill balancing in WvW, that is currently kinda adressed, as well as Player balancing, talking about the myth of the alliance-system)

BUT: what use is it to us if the game is perfectly balanced, but we are unable to play it in an acceptable way? In this context, an acceptable way would be to have at least constant 35-30 FPS in every fight (on an average gaming pc), without having the server lag too hard. Ofc i am aware, that WvW-fights are an extreme situation, where a high amount of players meet, spamming skills in an extreme. But the current state of overall performance of the game is far from being able to provide fair conditions to the majority of players. Yes, you cannot optimize the game to a state where everyone gets the same performance-wise conditions, but at least a good average should be absolutely possible, considering performance of current mid-range hardware and the age of the game.

fun fact (just for the meme, not necessarily serious comment): the game has an option to enable 144Hz refresh rate. Seems like a useless option at this point.