Unplayable Lag in Season 4 Maps

This goes beyond a "technical bug" suitable for the technical bugs subforum. This has gotten to the point where it breaks the game on multiple maps, seemingly randomly, for everyone. That is why I'm posting this in the General Discussion subforum as this level of impact deserves some higher visibility. Frankly it deserves priority even over bugs on Drizzlewood. This isn't new content but there is no reason to believe the new content will be immune to whatever is causing this going forward.

For example, Thunderhead Peaks: Oil Flow map event. There weren't even that many of us on the meta, 25 or so, so doable numbers wise but nothing that should cause excessive lag. We had taken the first drill when suddenly lag spikes of 5-15 seconds long started occurring. No one could do anything with that level of disconnect between the servers and what they were seeing on their screens. The lag spikes were frequent as well as long. You might get 10 seconds of smoother gameplay before the lag hit again. Each time, again, the lag lasted for roughly 10 seconds on average. This continued for multiple minutes during, and even after, the meta inevitably failed.

This kind of experience has become a daily occurrence for players in these maps. The maps are becoming barely playable because something fundamental has broken down.

There is a thread already for this in the Bugs forum: [https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108240/pof-lws4-maps-are-still-lagging-during-meta-events](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108240/pof-lws4-maps-are-still-lagging-during-meta-events#latest)

Posting in General won't necessarily promote any higher visibility. The devs are more likely to look in the Bugs forum with what I imagine would be limited time to view the forums.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> There is a thread already for this in the Bugs forum: [https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108240/pof-lws4-maps-are-still-lagging-during-meta-events](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108240/pof-lws4-maps-are-still-lagging-during-meta-events#latest)

>

> Posting in General won't necessarily promote any higher visibility. The devs are more likely to look in the Bugs forum with what I imagine would be limited time to view the forums.

Different devs look at different forums. Management is more likely to read things here than in a technical bug reporting forum.

> @"saerni.2584" said:

> Different devs look at different forums. Management is more likely to read things here than in a technical bug reporting forum.

And not really get the result you are looking for. Reason is kinda sound however forum mods exist. The mods here will simply look at this and go 'this goes in the bug forum' and move it there or just delete it since there's already a post in the bug forum about this subject.

Higher visibility would be better accomplished by simply posting on the post that already exists in the bug forums. Honestly the more additions to that single post would have better effect than posting on other forums as they can have all the info in one place with what is going on than everything scattered willy nilly.

And trust me they do read the bug forums. My post on the bug forums only got 2 responses and it was fixed next update.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> Here's the question: is this just EU or also NA?

This is definitely happening on NA.

Thunderhead Peaks for the last few months has had bad lag spikes. It's more common to experience lag than it is to have a lag-free experience. I have a few mules parked at the iron and plat nodes there and it's not always limited to happening around the metas. Harvesting lag, mounting and dismounting lag, character stuck-in-place-due-to-lag.....

> @"miraude.2107" said:

> > @"saerni.2584" said:

> > Different devs look at different forums. Management is more likely to read things here than in a technical bug reporting forum.

>

> And not really get the result you are looking for. Reason is kinda sound however forum mods exist. The mods here will simply look at this and go 'this goes in the bug forum' and move it there or just delete it since there's already a post in the bug forum about this subject.

>

> Higher visibility would be better accomplished by simply posting on the post that already exists in the bug forums. Honestly the more additions to that single post would have better effect than posting on other forums as they can have all the info in one place with what is going on than everything scattered willy nilly.

>

> And trust me they do read the bug forums. My post on the bug forums only got 2 responses and it was fixed next update.

I appreciate what you are saying but there is a difference between a “bug report” and a “complaint.” Bug reports should go in the bug forum.

This is a complaint. This has been going on a month or so, recent threads to the contrary, with no statement or apparent attempt to address it. The problem has gotten worse as well, not better.

Visibility is helpful at some level.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> A whole month with massive lag? Really?

> That’s just ........

> Typical for WvW

> It’s been that way for years, but seeing as this is PvE it’ll get fixed.

It's coming and going in PvE, too.

I remember the issue starting all the way back when Mega-Servers were first implemented.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > A whole month with massive lag? Really?

> > That’s just ........

> > Typical for WvW

> > It’s been that way for years, but seeing as this is PvE it’ll get fixed.

>

> It's coming and going in PvE, too.

> I remember the issue starting all the way back when Mega-Servers were first implemented.

I hear you.

It’s been a nearly constant thing in WvW. It’s rare not to see a thread or four on the main page about it.

> @"saerni.2584" said:

> > @"miraude.2107" said:

> > > @"saerni.2584" said:

> > > Different devs look at different forums. Management is more likely to read things here than in a technical bug reporting forum.

> >

> > And not really get the result you are looking for. Reason is kinda sound however forum mods exist. The mods here will simply look at this and go 'this goes in the bug forum' and move it there or just delete it since there's already a post in the bug forum about this subject.

> >

> > Higher visibility would be better accomplished by simply posting on the post that already exists in the bug forums. Honestly the more additions to that single post would have better effect than posting on other forums as they can have all the info in one place with what is going on than everything scattered willy nilly.

> >

> > And trust me they do read the bug forums. My post on the bug forums only got 2 responses and it was fixed next update.

>

> I appreciate what you are saying but there is a difference between a “bug report” and a “complaint.” Bug reports should go in the bug forum.

>

> This is a complaint. This has been going on a month or so, recent threads to the contrary, with no statement or apparent attempt to address it. The problem has gotten worse as well, not better.

>

> Visibility is helpful at some level.

Only if the visibility goes to the right people. Posting in the original thread for the lag shows an ongoing problem for Anet and would keep it on the front page as a 'hey this is still happening'. As someone who did bug hunting as a side thing for a small indie game. It was so much easier to just go to the dev and say 'here's where the complaint/bug originally was reported, here it is still being reported a month in, and these are the different maps/events of when they noticed the lag (high time, low time, popular event, etc.) and here is the link to the thread cataloging all this and responses for your review. Something is borked and needs fixing. Having to search through posts spread about a website to find what people are saying is counter intuitive.

Honestly, just adding a quip at the end of your post: "Posting here to see if people are having the same problem, if so, post what you experienced with the lag on this thread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108240/pof-lws4-maps-are-still-lagging-during-meta-events#latest. That way the bug team has more information on what's going on."

And to anyone that is experiencing the lag, please do this. Go to that link and tell them I was playing at so and so time on so and so map, doing this event/etc and I'm on a US/UE server. It does help the bug team that monitor that forum to be able to tap a dev on the shoulder and go 'heeyyyy just so you know....'

Also to those that play Pvp/WvW as well, go on that thread and report your lag as well. It could be a server being naughty for all we know or a string of code spilling it's coffee on the keyboard when the right random parameters are met.

> A whole month with massive lag? Really?

>

> That’s just ........

>

> Typical for WvW.

>

> It’s been that way for years, but seeing as this is PvE it’ll get fixed.

>

>

This is different than WvW lag. It doesn’t hang in WvW, it chugs and you might get a slight delay on some skills rarely in very massive blob versus blob situations.

I have really good internet. The kind where I don’t experience 99% of the lag issues people report on average. My ping is consistently in the 20-35 range, usually on the lower end.

If I had to describe lag in GW2, generally, I would say there are standard issues for any game where large numbers of players may gather and interact with one another. In WvW I expect those problems to increase due to up to three different teams of players interacting at one time.

What I’m seeing recently, and only with the Season 4 Maps, looks like ice skating. Other characters start sliding in the direction they were moving when the lag hits. Skills don’t have a delay so much as can’t be pressed for 10-14 seconds at a time. NPCs aren’t where they appear to be. AoEs that weren’t visible strike your character while you were watching GW2 on Ice.

It’s also inconsistent. Later that same day, I had the same event on that map with twice as many players. No lag on ice.

> @"saerni.2584" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > A whole month with massive lag? Really?

> >

> > That’s just ........

> >

> > Typical for WvW.

> >

> > It’s been that way for years, but seeing as this is PvE it’ll get fixed.

> >

> >

>

> This is different than WvW lag. It doesn’t hang in WvW, it chugs and you might get a slight delay on some skills rarely in very massive blob versus blob situations.

>

> I have really good internet. The kind where I don’t experience 99% of the lag issues people report on average. My ping is consistently in the 20-35 range, usually on the lower end.

>

> If I had to describe lag in GW2, generally, I would say there are standard issues for any game where large numbers of players may gather and interact with one another. In WvW I expect those problems to increase due to up to three different teams of players interacting at one time.

>

> **What I’m seeing recently, and only with the Season 4 Maps, looks like ice skating. Other characters start sliding in the direction they were moving when the lag hits. Skills don’t have a delay so much as can’t be pressed for 10-14 seconds at a time. NPCs aren’t where they appear to be. AoEs that weren’t visible strike your character while you were watching GW2 on Ice.**

>

> It’s also inconsistent. Later that same day, I had the same event on that map with twice as many players. No lag on ice.

While that may be true, the reality is most people who play WvW consistently have come to the conclusion that it won’t get fixed: **because it’s WvW**

Yours will get fixed. So, keep fretting.

And the highlight d section of your post? That is WvW on most days for most people. ‘Good internet’ or not.

> > @"saerni.2584" said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > A whole month with massive lag? Really?

> > >

> > > That’s just ........

> > >

> > > Typical for WvW.

> > >

> > > It’s been that way for years, but seeing as this is PvE it’ll get fixed.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > This is different than WvW lag. It doesn’t hang in WvW, it chugs and you might get a slight delay on some skills rarely in very massive blob versus blob situations.

> >

> > I have really good internet. The kind where I don’t experience 99% of the lag issues people report on average. My ping is consistently in the 20-35 range, usually on the lower end.

> >

> > If I had to describe lag in GW2, generally, I would say there are standard issues for any game where large numbers of players may gather and interact with one another. In WvW I expect those problems to increase due to up to three different teams of players interacting at one time.

> >

> > **What I’m seeing recently, and only with the Season 4 Maps, looks like ice skating. Other characters start sliding in the direction they were moving when the lag hits. Skills don’t have a delay so much as can’t be pressed for 10-14 seconds at a time. NPCs aren’t where they appear to be. AoEs that weren’t visible strike your character while you were watching GW2 on Ice.**

> >

> > It’s also inconsistent. Later that same day, I had the same event on that map with twice as many players. No lag on ice.

>

> While that may be true, the reality is most people who play WvW consistently have come to the conclusion that it won’t get fixed: **because it’s WvW**

>

> Yours will get fixed. So, keep fretting.

>

> And the highlight d section of your post? That is WvW on most days for most people. ‘Good internet’ or not.

I play WvW a lot. I’m in S4 maps for the Vision trinket.