My friends quit because of Holosmith

aaron.7850

My friends really only played this game for spvp, crazy right?, but they have all quit because holosmith is broken beyond reason and they couldn't believe the most overpowered spec in spvp wasn't nerfed this last "balance" patch.

Is there any DEV we can talk to about this balance issue?

I only really played GW2 for pvp too..Crazy right? Not touching it anymore since PoF. It's either PvE or ALT/F4. Not even touching WvW roaming anymore either. Balance team is a complete joke (just look over the years what have they done..) that really attributed alot to death of pvp.

If your friends really insist on continuing.. just tell them to roll Holo. "If you can't beat em - join em" as they say. That's all there is to pvp anyway.. U either play meta OP build/class or u get rekt.

> @"Dave.6819" said:

> I only really played GW2 for pvp too..Crazy right? Not touching it anymore since PoF. It's either PvE or ALT/F4. Not even touching WvW roaming anymore either. Balance team is a complete joke (just look over the years what have they done..) that really attributed alot to death of pvp.

>

> If your friends really insist on continuing.. just tell them to roll Holo. "If you can't beat em - join em" as they say. That's all there is to pvp anyway.. U either play meta OP build/class or u get rekt.

That's any mmo, play meta comps to compete and if you don't you play at a disadvantage. So with the mentality of quitting because of it, they prob will be quitting every mmo they try or any game that employs meta strategies that they don't like or want to adapt to.

If your friend really quit just because of holo, i'd say he's quite a pussy. Complains about holos are legitimate but they only overperforms slightly. They are not a total nuke either and they are really manageable if you keep your awareness up.

But if he quits because there are too many things unfun to fight against, and because the game development not only lags behind but goes in the opposite direction, that I would understand.

> @"Tinkerer.2167" said:

> > @"Dave.6819" said:

> > I only really played GW2 for pvp too..Crazy right? Not touching it anymore since PoF. It's either PvE or ALT/F4. Not even touching WvW roaming anymore either. Balance team is a complete joke (just look over the years what have they done..) that really attributed alot to death of pvp.

> >

> > If your friends really insist on continuing.. just tell them to roll Holo. "If you can't beat em - join em" as they say. That's all there is to pvp anyway.. U either play meta OP build/class or u get rekt.

>

> That's any mmo, play meta comps to compete and if you don't you play at a disadvantage. So with the mentality of quitting because of it, they prob will be quitting every mmo they try or any game that employs meta strategies that they don't like or want to adapt to.

in well made games the disadvantage of nonmeta is super small, here its staggering beyond belief

> @"Tinkerer.2167" said:

> That's any mmo, play meta comps to compete and if you don't you play at a disadvantage. So with the mentality of quitting because of it, they prob will be quitting every mmo they try or any game that employs meta strategies that they don't like or want to adapt to.

Apparently u haven't played all mmos then. In many of em you can still take the same character and tweak it/build it and u'll still be "in meta" without any disadvantages (and not rely on switching to alts). Plus your skill level really matters and gives an upper hand too. In some games sometimes skill matters so much that even with a terrible build you'll achieve top results. Even vanilla gw2 was a little like that where classes had a little more options without sacrificing their odds to compete on the highest level.

Ur friends are smart, obviously they didnt leave JUST due to holosmith or at least I'd hope not cuz holosmith just like a lot of stuff in this game are a result of stagnant development and very poor balance and design decisions. I'd guess ur buds left cuz judging by anets behavior in the past games only going to get worse not better, thinking otherwise is just fooling yourself so they probably figured why waste any more time on a game being trashed by its devs when u can invest time and money on a vid where its actually aperant the devs give a ..... about the project. Theres no way gw2 is anets main focus and if it is haha good luck in the next few yrs if ncsoft doesn't dissolve the company by then, if this happens they only have themselves to blame. That said there may be a very good reason gw2 is getting very little developmental focus and in time anet might reveal a new project that could be great or not great, who really knows.

> @"VoidNard.7206" said:

> the devs for this game gave up a long time ago. Im telling you, this game is dying. At this point no expansion is going to save the game

you won't spend another $50 for another season of living world? think of the achievement points you'll be missing out on, and the new skins!

> @"Dave.6819" said:

> > @"Tinkerer.2167" said:

>

> > That's any mmo, play meta comps to compete and if you don't you play at a disadvantage. So with the mentality of quitting because of it, they prob will be quitting every mmo they try or any game that employs meta strategies that they don't like or want to adapt to.

>

> Apparently u haven't played all mmos then. In many of em you can still take the same character and tweak it/build it and u'll still be "in meta" without any disadvantages (and not rely on switching to alts). Plus your skill level really matters and gives an upper hand too. In some games sometimes skill matters so much that even with a terrible build you'll achieve top results. Even vanilla gw2 was a little like that where classes had a little more options without sacrificing their odds to compete on the highest level.

gw2 vanilla was worse the only different then and now is there were less irrelevant options to choose from back then because only core existed but you still had to choose strict meta comps. HoT was easily the height of the game in terms of diversity and even then it wasnt THAT diverse.

and yea, i have played most mmos since eq1 the result is the same in pve and pvp ... metas exist and people who don't like them complain about them like in every single game in mmo existence where competition is involved dating back to strategy games in the 60s when the concept was created. it's impossible to balance everything in the single game this is regardless of the current state of the game. no matter what there will always be people complaining the difference is the type of complaints between obviously bad players and actually good players. if people can't accept that , then they shouldn't play mmos because they will not be happy no matter what game they choose.

99% of the forums are complaints from bad players then you have one top player come in and chime in every now and then with some useful information like buff teef.

> @"Tinkerer.2167" said:

> > @"Dave.6819" said:

> > > @"Tinkerer.2167" said:

> >

> > > That's any mmo, play meta comps to compete and if you don't you play at a disadvantage. So with the mentality of quitting because of it, they prob will be quitting every mmo they try or any game that employs meta strategies that they don't like or want to adapt to.

> >

> > Apparently u haven't played all mmos then. In many of em you can still take the same character and tweak it/build it and u'll still be "in meta" without any disadvantages (and not rely on switching to alts). Plus your skill level really matters and gives an upper hand too. In some games sometimes skill matters so much that even with a terrible build you'll achieve top results. Even vanilla gw2 was a little like that where classes had a little more options without sacrificing their odds to compete on the highest level.

>

> gw2 vanilla was worse the only different then and now is there were less irrelevant options to choose from back then because only core existed but you still had to choose strict meta comps. HoT was easily the height of the game in terms of diversity and even then it wasnt THAT diverse.

>

> and yea, i have played most mmos since eq1 the result is the same in pve and pvp ... metas exist and people who don't like them complain about them like in every single game in mmo existence where competition is involved dating back to strategy games in the 60s when the concept was created. it's impossible to balance everything in the single game this is regardless of the current state of the game. no matter what there will always be people complaining the difference is the type of complaints between obviously bad players and actually good players. if people can't accept that , then they shouldn't play mmos because they will not be happy no matter what game they choose.

>

> 99% of the forums are complaints from bad players then you have one top player come in and chime in every now and then with some useful information like buff teef.

I have similar exp with MMO, devs in mmo are in general really bad at balancing the game, but hey medicore people still need jobs.

I've been with Anet for 15 years now and had a lot of fun until recently. When GW1 launched I fell in love and became a 'PC master race!' after playing consoles since I was 4 or 5 (80s baby). The last few month's it's been harder and harder to want to play. Just logging in out of habit mostly and not really having fun much anymore. Today I actually went and spent $100 on some great console games I haven't played in ages and considered whether I might get a console or just wait a bit for the next gen stuff. Either way, it's Guild Wars or nothing. Pretty sad really after supporting this company for not quite half of my life. I've definitely had a lot of fun over the years but, like your friends noticed, I can see the writing on the wall. Maybe they'll surprise me and prove that GW2 means as much to them as it does to the fans, but I won't hold my breath that their more interested in anything but having people log in for dailies. Hope your friends find something they enjoy and that they check back in once in a while to see if Anet gets their gigantic heads out of their posteriors and respect a bit more the franchise and fans that have played their bills all these years. If they can't be bothered to be passionate about it, then I can't either anymore. They've broken a lot of people's hearts I think...

Holo isn't even that big of an outlier. Every competetive game is going to have a top tier build/class/character. In holo's case, it's strong but not worth quitting over.

I'd argue that PvP has some much larger problems currently.

-Meta promotes focusing one player down in CC. You can argue that it's healthy, but if you're that player it leads to feelings of frustration and helplessness. Perhaps CC should be toned down.

-Mid point is an AoE spam fiesta. Scourge,Firebrand,Tempest,Crev. AoEs on AoEs, and tons of CC to boot. Some builds can't even afford to walk near the point against these types of comps.

-Condi tanks are popular. It's a passive playstyle that is forgiving of mistakes and not terribly fun to fight.

-Anet regularly nerfs builds/classes out of the game. Mesmers, Scrappers, Warriors, Support Druids, DE's... I feel for you. Yes, these classes are not fun to fight for a variety of reasons, but if you main any of these, I cannot fault you for quitting the game.

-Low pop due to a combination of these issues and more leads to poor matchmaking. 100-500 losses are not fun. 500-100 victories are not satisfying.

> @"Tman.6349" said:

> I've been with Anet for 15 years now and had a lot of fun until recently. When GW1 launched I fell in love and became a 'PC master race!' after playing consoles since I was 4 or 5 (80s baby). The last few month's it's been harder and harder to want to play. Just logging in out of habit mostly and not really having fun much anymore. Today I actually went and spent $100 on some great console games I haven't played in ages and considered whether I might get a console or just wait a bit for the next gen stuff. Either way, it's Guild Wars or nothing. Pretty sad really after supporting this company for not quite half of my life. I've definitely had a lot of fun over the years but, like your friends noticed, I can see the writing on the wall. Maybe they'll surprise me and prove that GW2 means as much to them as it does to the fans, but I won't hold my breath that their more interested in anything but having people log in for dailies. Hope your friends find something they enjoy and that they check back in once in a while to see if Anet gets their gigantic heads out of their posteriors and respect a bit more the franchise and fans that have played their bills all these years. If they can't be bothered to be passionate about it, then I can't either anymore. They've broken a lot of people's hearts I think...

I'm the same as you, although once I got my first PC and had the ability to play with and against other people I found it hard to go back. I bought the new Nintendo console.. can't remember what's it's called at the moment, but I just can't get into it. If you consider getting a newer console I'd recommend the current and latedt PlayStation due to the games library.. and wait for the new one to be released so that drops in value significantly.

I'm in the same boat as you - looking to alternative games to pass time because GW2 has become more boring with loss of diversity in builds/fun, unfixed things, useless traits, and general dumbing down of the game. I've been having a lot of fun in StarCraft 2 Legacy of the Void lately, and I'm considering picking up a PlayStation down the line when it becomes cheaper too.

> @"Kuma.1503" said:

> -Meta promotes focusing one player down in CC. You can argue that it's healthy, but if you're that player it leads to feelings of frustration and helplessness. Perhaps CC should be toned down.

It promotes team play/awareness. If your teammate is targeted, you peel the pressure off of them. If you go 1v2-1v3 solo it's normal to get cc locked. If you aren't positioned properly it's normal to get cc locked.

You are mostly correct for rest of your comment, imo.

> @"Strider.7849" said:

> > @"Tman.6349" said:

> > I've been with Anet for 15 years now and had a lot of fun until recently. When GW1 launched I fell in love and became a 'PC master race!' after playing consoles since I was 4 or 5 (80s baby). The last few month's it's been harder and harder to want to play. Just logging in out of habit mostly and not really having fun much anymore. Today I actually went and spent $100 on some great console games I haven't played in ages and considered whether I might get a console or just wait a bit for the next gen stuff. Either way, it's Guild Wars or nothing. Pretty sad really after supporting this company for not quite half of my life. I've definitely had a lot of fun over the years but, like your friends noticed, I can see the writing on the wall. Maybe they'll surprise me and prove that GW2 means as much to them as it does to the fans, but I won't hold my breath that their more interested in anything but having people log in for dailies. Hope your friends find something they enjoy and that they check back in once in a while to see if Anet gets their gigantic heads out of their posteriors and respect a bit more the franchise and fans that have played their bills all these years. If they can't be bothered to be passionate about it, then I can't either anymore. They've broken a lot of people's hearts I think...

>

> I'm the same as you, although once I got my first PC and had the ability to play with and against other people I found it hard to go back. I bought the new Nintendo console.. can't remember what's it's called at the moment, but I just can't get into it. If you consider getting a newer console I'd recommend the current and latedt PlayStation due to the games library.. and wait for the new one to be released so that drops in value significantly.

>

> I'm in the same boat as you - looking to alternative games to pass time because GW2 has become more boring with loss of diversity in builds/fun, unfixed things, useless traits, and general dumbing down of the game. I've been having a lot of fun in StarCraft 2 Legacy of the Void lately, and I'm considering picking up a PlayStation down the line when it becomes cheaper too.

>

100% agree with ur idea and console advice. Ghost tsushima plug, amazing game.

> @"Tinkerer.2167" said:

> > @"Dave.6819" said:

> > > @"Tinkerer.2167" said:

> >

> > > That's any mmo, play meta comps to compete and if you don't you play at a disadvantage. So with the mentality of quitting because of it, they prob will be quitting every mmo they try or any game that employs meta strategies that they don't like or want to adapt to.

> >

> > Apparently u haven't played all mmos then. In many of em you can still take the same character and tweak it/build it and u'll still be "in meta" without any disadvantages (and not rely on switching to alts). Plus your skill level really matters and gives an upper hand too. In some games sometimes skill matters so much that even with a terrible build you'll achieve top results. Even vanilla gw2 was a little like that where classes had a little more options without sacrificing their odds to compete on the highest level.

>

> gw2 vanilla was worse the only different then and now is there were less irrelevant options to choose from back then because only core existed but you still had to choose strict meta comps. HoT was easily the height of the game in terms of diversity and even then it wasnt THAT diverse.

>

> and yea, i have played most mmos since eq1 the result is the same in pve and pvp ... metas exist and people who don't like them complain about them like in every single game in mmo existence where competition is involved dating back to strategy games in the 60s when the concept was created. it's impossible to balance everything in the single game this is regardless of the current state of the game. no matter what there will always be people complaining the difference is the type of complaints between obviously bad players and actually good players. if people can't accept that , then they shouldn't play mmos because they will not be happy no matter what game they choose.

>

> 99% of the forums are complaints from bad players then you have one top player come in and chime in every now and then with some useful information like buff teef.

I won't even go into how wrong you are about vanilla gw2. Anyway. I'll just ask. Have u played ESO or Aion? Played ESO for 4 years. Aion for maybe 7 years. I've never had issues like this. I could take my main character and destroy anyone. In fact in both of those games if you were skilled you could actually 1v3/4/5. And not once you had to rely on switching character or changing your build drastically to "fit" meta. Most MMOS have different issues (like P2W for example? BDO especially.. ) but i've never had issues with balance in other MMOS like you're so convinced all MMOS/strategy games do. In GW2 not only you have to stick to strict meta but u also need to switch actual character if u want to be on top. That's the main issue i have with it. Why do i have to switch character? I picked 1 class that i enjoy and i'm sticktin to it. So okey.. let meta builds be dominant you can have that. Let's all play copy-paste builds i can deal with that. But then make sure all classes are well-balanced against each other so no one has to rely on creating XYZ classes depending on what kind of crazy stuff balance team has in store next patch. And maybe after that we can actually talk about the how to make skill > build/class. But that one i think is the lost cause in this game atleast.

And then again.. why are we bothering? We're givin so much info/feedback constantly and what does anet do? Nothing. They should be reading it and act on it. Their playerbase is the most hopeful naive and patient community ever. They should really make notes. In most games if that kind of shit happens? It'll be 2-3 months max and everyone leaves. Well atleast they always have PvE content to rely on eh? So it gives them a safe feeling that ppl will carry on playing no matter how gloriously balance team fails next time.