Frustrated

Having just spent an hour in the PoF story quest "Facing The Truth" facing my own aging fingers and dexterity and almost destroying my keyboard in the process I thought that, having logged off with a mixture of despair and annoyance, I would post here.

It's not something I have done often, if ever (can't remember) but I have been around a while now, played the original Guild Wars, with all expansions, pre purchased Guild Wars 2, took part in the beta before release, bought both expansions and where necessary any living world elements I might have missed. I don't regard myself as a novice by any means but I am at best what most would definitely call a casual player (probably why I'm only now playing through Path of Fire for the first time truth be told). I enjoy the game, enjoy the story and I suppose like most people have bits and pieces which I'm also not fond of - hence this post.

I **HATE** jumping puzzles. I detest them, I cannot see the point of them, they annoy the living hell out of me, but generally it's something I can ignore because they're hidden away and something to do only if you want to, and presumably for some unknown reason actually enjoy them.

I don't.

In the slightest.

My manual dexterity these days is going downhill along with the rest of me but even if it weren't I suspect jumping puzzles wouldn't be up there in any bucket list I might come up with, but WHY do they have to be included as part of a main story quest?

As I stated above, I spent an hour attempting to jump up on my springer to a point where I could - just possibly - reach the item I needed followed in my case very rapidly - and often - with starting again at the bottom. It's not fun, it's not enjoyable in the slightest, it is highly annoying and has stopped me dead in my tracks to the point where I've had enough today and logged off, where my hands and fingers actually hurt.

I seem to recall that one of the selling points of this game was that you could level in any manner of a variety of different ways, that you could play the game through the way you wanted.

Well in this case, I can't. I realise that in the larger scheme of things that doesn't really matter particularly with what's going on in thw world these days but just thought I'd point it out in the hope that someone may notice that not all supposedly fun activities are fun for everybody (or optional).

Have you tried watching a guide video and emulating the jumps?

Is a good guide on the episode, and except for the last piece, which does require 3 precise jumps, the rest was mostly just 1 jump and walk the bunny some where.

Either way, take a break, relax a bit. Give it another go when you feel like it. Not sure you can have someone help on this mission, other wise that might be an option too.

Thanks for the reply, yes I usually do end up going to YouTube with a quest if all else fails, in this case though I suspect it's more my own physical shortcomings. Nevertheless I'll take a look, no doubt I'll try again in time today just annoyed the hell out of me (and hurt a fair bit :D)

I can relate bigtime to your frustration when it comes to jumping puzzles.

I use youtube for a lot of things in the game as well to ease my progress/completion as well as dulfy

Hopefully the sense of achievement you feel when you complete it by any means is a good one.

For myself, it feels like a long chore to be honest, like vacuuming or doing the dishes.

> @"Caprasia.6107" said:

> LOL indeed, as for it not being a jumping puzzle - believe me, it is to me :D

There's a couple of spots on that where if you don't land in the exact spot in the middle of the path you have start over

I always have a look at the map after it's taken me umpteen attempts to succeed or give up for now to see all those white dots

> @"Caprasia.6107" said:

> Thanks for the replies, have tried it again and I can probably do it by getting the higher jump upgrade so I'll aim for that, thanks again :)

If that doesn't work, I've gone through the PoF chapters on my Elementalist so I know I can do that step and I've got a Mesmer. If you're on NA, I don't mind helping you out.

Might take me a try or two or three as I'm not necessarily the best at platforming myself, but I can definitely help you out.

> @"Caprasia.6107" said:

> Thanks for the replies, have tried it again and I can probably do it by getting the higher jump upgrade so I'll aim for that, thanks again :)

In the comments to the linked video someone asks her if she has the upgraded Springer jumping and she said yes. So you might be right that might get you there. Good luck

I absolutely detest any form of jumping puzzle for a variety of reasons

* Geometry doesn't match visuals

* Weird physics

* Discrepancies between character model heights

* They're brutal and unforgiving for anyone playing at 60+ ping. Mine is 200+ average and keypresses simply don't hit the server in time. When I launch dismount I lose half of the height before gliding even registers.

I'm okay with having jumping components across Tyria but they should really be optional in my opinion.

Disclaimer: 200+ ping, 43 years old but agile enough.

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> This isn't even a JP, it's just some minor platforming. The game is full with this stuff. You can't expect a game for everyone...

And it serves no purpose in the story whatsoever, so what's the point of adding it? Stuff like this should be entirely optional, not a dexterity check for a story instance.

> @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > This isn't even a JP, it's just some minor platforming. The game is full with this stuff. You can't expect a game for everyone...

>

> And it serves no purpose in the story whatsoever, so what's the point of adding it? Stuff like this should be entirely optional, not a dexterity check for a story instance.

>

what Anet could do is that they could make jumping puzzles in story missions like an alternative route

like there's 2 paths to where the objective is, 1 is a jumping puzzle with no enemies/traps on it and another is a simple hallway/hillclimb with mobs you can kill or skip with stealth/etc.

that way people like the OP can just kill enemies and get to the goal or some people who are more dextrous or whatever can just do the JP route and skip the killing, they can just adjust the length of both routes by making it so doing the jp or killing mobs would take roughly the same amount of time to get where they need to be.

OP, yes.

I'm still relatively young, with a case of early arthritis slowly setting in. Absolutely feel your pain. Played all the previous GW content, and I've been fortunate and persistent enough to manage to get through GW2 end-to-current-end twice so far, but I despise JPs or anytime I'm forced into leaping around to progress. In the past it hasn't been so much of a problem (though I still disliked it), but now I'm forced to admit I'll never reach the end of most of the JPs, or will need a lot of extra time in certain instances where jumping is required (SPOILER**** including mount stuff like the end of A Star to Guide Us).

The suggested alternate paths to some of this would be welcome, I don't mind some button mashing through a fight instead of jumping however, that might be hard to implement in some places. A 'skip' button would be welcome, but that would be cause for abuse. The only real way I've found to progress is to stubbornly persist, or find someone who can carry you through those sections either by you joining their instance, or in the open world using friend teleports (if you don't have a flying mount). It sucks, but they're the most straight forward solutions I've found.

Like other's have suggested you can:

Find a Guide on Youtube and Follow the instructions.

Ask a Thief or Mesmer to get up there and teleport you.

If you have a Teleport to Friend most could get up their for you with Skyscale and you could port right to them.

Buy a Prototype Position Rewinder from the Heart Vendor Hafren in Sandswept Isles for 75 difluorite crystals and 175,000 Karma. It'll let you set a position to teleport back to if you mess up.

It sounds like you are probably past it or have found a solution, but another way to get past story bits you may have issues with due to hands, eyes, slow pc, lacking mount/mastery is to ask a friend who has all the stuff and knows the story (guilds can be really good for this). Ask said friend to start the story instance you need and let them carry you past the bit you are stuck on, then just accept the progress at the end. If all else fails this should for sure give you a way past it so you can enjoy the rest of the story. Good luck and don't give up! Things are often not as bad as they seem when you are in the moment and feeling frustrated. We have all been there. =)

> @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > This isn't even a JP, it's just some minor platforming. The game is full with this stuff. You can't expect a game for everyone...

>

> And it serves no purpose in the story whatsoever, so what's the point of adding it? Stuff like this should be entirely optional, not a dexterity check for a story instance.

>

Yes, it serves a purpose; diversification of gameplay. I never heard from people who complain these have hard jumping sections in games until let's say 10 years ago. Maybe people don't know what to expect in GW2, but I think the addition of jumping section in GW2 very refreshing (well back in 2012). I think the problem is more the demographics entering gaming; casuals who only played some mobile games where you need no dexterity.