Add weeklies and monthly

ASHEZ.9362

> @"ASHEZ.9362" said:

> itll be really awsome if the devs implement weeklies like killing certain number of mobs or certain numbers of bosses with decent rewards itll be helpfull for new players to explore the game and for veterans to do things and get some extra achievements

we used to have them, they were replaced by the Daily login reward track [https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly)

I'm not clear on why exactly they were removed, other than it was part of a big re-design of the daily achievement system and the introduction of login rewards. The [blog post on the update](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-new-daily-achievement-system/) just says "The monthly achievements provided larger goals to players but were still fairly generic and repetitive, and they don’t fit well with the new reward paradigm."

That's certainly my memory of them however. They were all fairly generic checklist type things like 'Kill X of this' or 'Complete N Fractals'. It seemed like players would either complete them ASAP at the start of the month to get them out of the way or ignore them until nearly the end of the month then finish them off if it wasn't too much hassle.

I was definitely in the second group. I know from a screenshot I saved that March 2013 was the first time I finished the monthly achievement, 7 months after I started the game, 8 if you count August 2012 but the game came out on the 25th and I was away for most of the first week. So they certainly didn't motivate me as a new player. Later on I'd do them more often, but still no where near every month, only if I got close to completing them through playing normally _and_ I had time to do the last few bits required without taking too much time away from what I wanted to be doing.

I would prefer a Monthly where you have to complete a list made up of certain dynamic events, and that list would change every month. Say 10 or 15 events would be on that list. Lots of under-utilized events in the Open World and this way people would be motivated to revisit old maps and content. Not talking about the usual World Bosses, but the smaller DE's.

But I am sure many people would hate the idea(having to wait for a DE to pop) and would rather earn Fractal currency by doing 15 fractals.

> @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> I would prefer a Monthly where you have to complete a list made up of certain dynamic events, and that list would change every month. Say 10 or 15 events would be on that list. Lots of under-utilized events in the Open World and this way people would be motivated to revisit old maps and content. Not talking about the usual World Bosses, but the smaller DE's.

>

> But I am sure many people would hate the idea(having to wait for a DE to pop) and would rather earn Fractal currency by doing 15 fractals.

I agree with both parts of this. I think it would be more interesting to have fewer, specific tasks rather than generic things like 'complete 100 events' or 'kill 100 veterans' and it could be a good way to get people doing older content more often, but it could also be annoying having to wait for the events you need, especially if they don't come up very often. I only get about 2 hours a day to play and there's usually relatively little choice in when that is because it's done around all the other stuff I've got to do in a day, so if my choice is to wait around for an event to start for the monthly or...pretty much anything else I'm going to choose something else.

I'm not sure how Anet could hit a good middle ground between those two - using it to get people doing specific activities without making it overly restrictive so it's not practical for new or casual players.

> @"Parasite.5389" said:

> > @"ASHEZ.9362" said:

> > itll be really awsome if the devs implement weeklies like killing certain number of mobs or certain numbers of bosses with decent rewards itll be helpfull for new players to explore the game and for veterans to do things and get some extra achievements

>

> we used to have them, they were replaced by the Daily login reward track [https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Monthly)

I had no idea this existed. It's a shame it got revoked, even tho it doesn't look like something you had to spend more than a week of active play on. I wish they reintroduced this kind of thing, with adjusted rewards, no AP, adjusted difficulty of completion and probably more diversified tasks. It would give me at least another reason to log in, instead of spending months in afk mode.

I liked monthly, and disliked (and still dislike) daily system. I'd much rather have a system I could work at at my own pace, and do it batches here and there when I wanted to instead of feeling forced to log in each day etc (Which I've personally solved by just stopping caring about rewards).

But from a business perspective I can definitively see why they stuck with daily and rather focused on that. MMo players are notoriously reward driven, and if the best way to gain rewards is log in and do a task every day, they'll do just that. This keeps players logging in to the game every day, keeps them somewhat active with social ties they might have in the game (making them more likely to stay around in the game), and also exposes them to the gem-store constantly. Retention rate, keeps people checking in, which sometimes results in them using something on the gem-store.

So yeah, can't stand it personally, but I know it won't change.

One advantage of dailies is that it puts a high concentration of players for the given daily. Event completer on map X results in a lot of players be on map X for that day. So if there is some event you need to complete on that map for a collection, you can get it done that day. But if as a monthly, it is complete 20 map events, it doesn't concentrate players in any way.

The dungeon ones are another example - you can likely find a PUG to a given dungeon pretty easily if it is on the daily list. But if the monthly is complete 10 dungeon paths, it doesn't really help things out that much.

Some of the monthlies also appeared to be pretty grindy. Though given some of the past maps, that doesn't appear to be a concern for Anet anymore.

> @"ASHEZ.9362" said:

> itll be really awsome if the devs implement weeklies like killing certain number of mobs or certain numbers of bosses with decent rewards itll be helpfull for new players to explore the game and for veterans to do things and get some extra achievements

No thanks. I'd feel compelled to complete them, and I'd rather just do dailies when I feel like it and move on to other stuff. And if the monthlies are such that they just happen by playing the game, then they are pointless.