Need help dealing with Symbol Guardian as SB

Arklite.4013

I'm able to handle most other specs in 1v1s (except eles), but symbol guardian gives me a lot of trouble. They have a lot of blinds/blocks and symbols that easily force me off the node and limit my ability to counter pressure them. If I commit to the fight, I either cleanse too aggressively and get overwhelmed by burns with cover condis, or I die with shake it offs in the bank. Are there any particular openings I should be trying to exploit? Is this just a matchup I should avoid?

I'm aware SB isn't in a great spot right now. I'm choosing to continue playing it anyway. Also, the shout/support SB build going around is pretty fun. Anyone know how good it is?

Kite around the symbols and use things like Throw Axe or Bladetrail. Keep track of their block skills then hit them with a CC followed by a burst. If you timed the CC+burst right you should be able to knock a large part of their HP away or down them. You'll probably have to commit to doing this while in a symbol though, so only do it if you are sure you can down them first. Guardians don't have that much HP even when they spec for it, and can only mitigate so many hits with Aegis so if you get them with a multi hit burst like HB post CC they will be in a rough spot. You have to blow a lot of CDs to do it though, and you'll want a follow up CC on hand if they don't go down.

If the blocks are the main problem for you, you could always take Signet of Might, but that isn't optimal in general.

It is possible to go toe to toe with them if there is only one symbol on the ground, but you'll need to gtfo if a second one appears or SoJ appears. Remember that MMR also gives endurance and that Building Momentum does as well, so you should be dodging frequently, even into the guardian for the Reckless Dodge damage+might.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> Step out of the AoE and the Symbols become useless.

> Symbols are one of the easiest-to-avoid mechanics, as long as you can see them.

warrior can't do damage without steping in to symbols you realize.

all guard has to do is drop symbols when warrior try to get close on their feet.

CC is the answer. Assuming you are SB. If you are playing core I do not think it will work.

More detail? Contrary to the believe, symbols deal shit damage. You do not want to stand in it, but I would not hesitate to go in to land an attack. Do not play super offensively, early in the fight. Generally speaking, the longer a fight goes, the weaker guardian will become. If you play aggressive early in the fight, depending on enemy guardian skill, you will probably lose. And use CC smartly. I know this is too generic, but if you can consistently land CC you will win.

CC.

SB's one extremely potent tool in this post nerf meteor world is their CC.

Their Full Counter can be used aggressively to strip boons and also buff themselves with Prot and Resistance.

Their Bulls Charge has an evade built into it which ensures a safe engage without fear of taking too much damage.

If push comes to shove and all these plus Shield Charge doesn't cut it, go for Physical trait and pick up Stomp and Kick.

I literally killed someone using CC and weaving weapon skills.

Punish the Guardian for using Symbols. Step in and out of them but make sure when you step into them you're using skills like Full Counter and boons like Retaliation, and the occasional Resistance to make sure they can't get any burns on you from it.

In other words only try to melee when you have the advantage, otherwise just make them waste CDs.

Stances are also very, very useful for fighting Symbol Guards, since they essentially render the entire build useless until all your durations are up, and unless the Guard pays alot of attention that means its over for them as well.

Just keep in mind Guard has a better abiilty to reset than Warrior; you need to push your advantage with hard CC.

Just so you know, FB pretty much soft counter all warrior.

smart FB would aim every single instant blind to all burst skills, FB also has instant aegis mantra that's almost effective since most warrior attacks are single hit.

on top of that, high CC uptime screws over warrior's lack of stab and low stunbreak. shield push back is basically instant and chain with axe 3 and f1 2, unless you use stunbreak and dodge at the same time.

your way of winning is to try to land burst skill ASAP without taking much damage to proc tether and MMR so you get enough dodge to dodge through all the BS.

> @"felix.2386" said:

> > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > Step out of the AoE and the Symbols become useless.

> > Symbols are one of the easiest-to-avoid mechanics, as long as you can see them.

>

> warrior can't do damage without steping in to symbols you realize.

> all guard has to do is drop symbols when warrior try to get close on their feet.

That's a problem with Arenanet refusing to make ranged weapon decent for Warriors.

This is a Warrior problem that occurs with all AoE situations.

It's not a Symbol issue.

Breaching Strike is your best friend in this match up.

Go in and get out with damage just skirmish and don't stand on symbols and you will out sustain them and eventually get the kill.

They cap/decap the node though. So if you've got a better rotation option take it.

If burns are killing you try Intel/Battle on GS and Energy/Cleansing on Dag/Shield.

But generally speaking Dag F1, Dag 2 in. They pop focus 5? GS 3 breaks all block stacks. You're looking to burst between their aegis windows because they don't have a lot of HP. Enough pressure and they will drop over time.

If you think that's unfair that Anet allows absentee gameplay builds to be relevant well hey I do too! I'm convinced CMC was hired to make SPvP worse.

Oh and if you're looking for a different take on the standard SB build try Stomp in place of Frenzy and S&M in place of LA.

Symbols are free FC bait. Use it to set up burst.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"felix.2386" said:

> > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > Step out of the AoE and the Symbols become useless.

> > > Symbols are one of the easiest-to-avoid mechanics, as long as you can see them.

> >

> > warrior can't do damage without steping in to symbols you realize.

> > all guard has to do is drop symbols when warrior try to get close on their feet.

>

> That's a problem with Arenanet refusing to make ranged weapon decent for Warriors.

> This is a Warrior problem that occurs with all AoE situations.

> It's not a Symbol issue.

Yea, like the moment the warrior is close, i'm 100% sure it's either going to dagger f1 and proc tether, or proc full counter with symbols to to proc tether ASAP

because the longer warrior is without tether the weaker it gets and staying on symbol is also not an option.

all i have to do is press blind or dodge, and warrior will be forced to retreat if blinded and i can do w/e i want with the node.

and the rest of the skills are pretty much noodles without tether and can be mitigated with aegis and weakness.